CA - Massive fire at Oakland warehouse party, 36 dead, 2 Dec 2016 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
local live

they are gonna use the crane to lower fokj in cages to shore up leaning part

I'll look. The more I read on this man that ran everything, the more I hope he gets put away a long long time.

I feel so bad for his children, bother their parents are drug addicts and to an extent murderers

Does anyone else think we'll be seeing more of the mayor in a higher political office in future years? She is handling this horror with dignity and compassion. Gitana said she's been wonderful to them.

Totally agree. I saw her in one of the very early interviews shortly after the fire was put out. She did wonderful handling the media questions. She also showed much compassion for the victims.

same link

Good lord

3B00075200000578-0-image-a-8_1480796788686.jpg
That cubby hole under the No Smoking sign shows a toaster oven, some wires /cords hanging, a fire extinguisher, and some large drinking water containers.

these are the words I could not find, but have felt from the moment I heard about this disaster -- which became a gut-wrenching reality, no longer just TV news, when it involved our Gitana's family, and then blue's sister, too. I even have trouble tearing myself away from here for even a few minutes, afraid I will miss an important piece of info.

100 are still considered missing, in addition to the 33 bodies found? My gosh, how many were in that crowded space?
BBM

I believe the sheriff or someone said at the PC that the original missing list was originally much higher than 100, but is now down to less than 50. But they don't expect a LOT more to be found.

The missing include people whose parent calls because they haven't heard from their kid in awhile and they're afraid they might have been at the warehouse. LE is trying to account for all of them, which I thought was really compassionate considering everything they are doing.

I have no doubt after watching the mayor talk about "the atrocity" that had been committed, that the right person(s) is going to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. She looked pissed.

I hope she does not try to ignore the culpability of her own city officials.

I watched the ABC Nightly News. I think Gitana or one of her family members was interviewed. A picture of her SIL was on the screen for some time. David Muir asked the reporter if the family had had anything confirmed and he said sadly, no....

I hope she does not try to ignore the culpability of her own city officials.

I didn't get that impression at all. But she made it clear when she was asked about the future (couldn't hear questions well) that her immediate priority is what they are currently working on. They will deal with other things later. The DA indicated a very complete investigation was taking place.

Does anyone else think we'll be seeing more of the mayor in a higher political office in future years? She is handling this horror with dignity and compassion. Gitana said she's been wonderful to them.

But isn't this HER responsibility as well? She didn't know about people living in unsafe conditions in warehouses throughout the city? I think she did.

Don't the Building Inspectors answer to HER?

What is real scary to me is I heard 2 or 3 interviews from people who did get out and they said they grabbed their fire extinguishers but the fire spread so fast they were not of any use.

That is scary how fast this fire must have spread. It makes me rethink my own fire security plans. I have 3 different types of fire extinguishers and now wondering how good they really are in a serious fire. I have an electrical based one and a large standard one and a smaller one.

That cubby hole under the No Smoking sign shows a toaster oven, some wires /cords hanging, a fire extinguisher, and some large drinking water containers.

just all the way around give us a break huh!

Several claimed they ran for fire extinguishers, and the one guy who has been on media while the flames were still reaching for the stars and has not left (!) said it did not work.

Probably antiques!!

I didn't get that impression at all. But she made it clear when she was asked about the future (couldn't hear questions well) that her immediate priority is what they are currently working on. They will deal with other things later. The DA indicated a very complete investigation was taking place.

Well, she is in kind of a tough position. Because ultimately, SHE is accountable for the tragedy too. The Building code violations were ignored routinely all across the city. The Building Inspectors dragged their feet and no one was usually evicted from these unsafe situations, AFAIK.

She is the Mayor. Much of this falls into her lap, imo. It is great that she is now hand holding, compassionate and 'transparent.' But is it too little too late?

I felt that way too! I hope they are following him he is gonna run imo

He is on probation they can use that as a reason to "monitor" him. OR he may kill himself -
Personally, I think he's too arrogant and self important to commit suicide. He's incredibly self indulgent but I don't see him indulging in actual suicide... A lame attention seeking pretend attempt maybe.

But isn't this HER responsibility as well? She didn't know about people living in unsafe conditions in warehouses throughout the city? I think she did.

Don't the Building Inspectors answer to HER?

She probably did know about the warehouses. I think they were common knowledge. As we've discussed, nothing moves quickly in these situations. And I doubt she is in a hands on position with individual building inspectors. That's one of many departments she oversees. Up until now, other problems like crime have been much bigger concerns. I'm sure the unsafe warehouse living situations will move toward the top of the list of priorities. It's kind of like playing whack-a-mole in her position, I imagine.

I'm sorry. Is there a link for the missing list going from "under 50" to 100 since the PC?
TIA

I got this information from Gitana who has spent much time at the Sherriff's Office center for the victims and is also in direct contact with the coroner.

I got this information from Gitana who has spent much time at the Sherriff's Office center for the victims and is also in direct contact with the coroner.

And....last night her number was 64

The place was on fire in 2014 - arson.

He is getting more charming by the moment. The two guys who asked for protection from him were attacked when they tried to get their stuff out .

I read this from another Dj also, when he did not pay him he tried to take his equipment out he threw him out and kept his stuff.

Link lost on this network http://www.ktvu.com/live, but when the next video starts there is no back arrow,

It is the piece with a reporter outside the Marriot (not the one earlier) I wish I could find it again, they had another victim who had lived there on cam, but I tried to back it up to get the date on the arson (2014) and then it went to another video .

It starts with a somewhat nerdy reporter standing in the valet area of the Marriot

if anyone can find pls link it was informative and new information about this udde

Reporter's last name: Lee- think it was Henry Lee, who I think also writes for the S.F. Chronicle. I watched it on KTVU Channel 2 around 4:30. I'm sure now it was Henry Lee- he is an investigative reporter for KTVU Channel 2, which is the Bay Area Fox affiliate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123