Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they felt that due to the lack of evidence near the suspected abduction site that she may have been taken away in a vehicle. They did search for a couple days before calling it off and letting the public join in with an expanded and more extensive search of a larger area. The Redding Guardian Angels and the Northern California Alliance for the Missing was very active in searching for Sherri or clues.
Any idea why the search was called off by LE???

After the LE search was called off hundreds of volunteers searched the area for several days after. I know of 4 drone aircraft that were operating trying to locate any clues. Several private helicopters assisted in the search. People kept an eye on homes that came up suspicious based upon their occupants or the direct questioning as every home in the area was visited. KP went back and spoke to every occupant in the area personally to see if he was comfortable with their answers. Billboard signs were donated for use, thousands of missing posters were donated and posted throughout the country, including many magnetic ones for bigs rigs. Hundreds of tips were called in and thousands of comments and prayers were posted on social media. I think every church in the area dedicated masses to her safe return and as we know nearly $48k was raised through from generous local AND national/international donors. After SP's release 500 people showed up dressed in pink for a giant Christmas card photo for SP as that is her favorite color. And the road leading to her home was decorated with large yellow ribbons. And I'm sure I forgot many other things that were done and am unaware of many others. I'm extremely proud of the way the community supported, and continues to support that family.

"KP went back and spoke to every occupant in the area personally to see if he was comfortable with their answers"

Was this before are after he was cleared...I ask because that may have cast suspicion on him by LE if he was going behind them (could be too much CSI too)

I think the smartest thing someone did was score a GMA spot. So many people go missing every day and they just become another statistic that no one has heard of. That attention may be the only reason she was returned, IMO

I think they felt that due to the lack of evidence near the suspected abduction site that she may have been taken away in a vehicle. They did search for a couple days before calling it off and letting the public join in with an expanded and more extensive search of a larger area. The Redding Guardian Angels and the Northern California Alliance for the Missing was very active in searching for Sherri or clues.

Thank you, Lake.

Bumping some things that I learned today....

Lake16
Yesterday, 10:46 PM
From my own personal exploration I found that there is a surveillance camera if you proceed North on Old Oregon Trail at a gas station. If you proceed south there are numerous ways you can travel to other areas without encountering surveillance. I wouldn't put too much weight on SP not recognizing the vehicle in the footage they showed her, imho.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ng-2-November-2016-18&p=12994828#post12994828

Question for Lake16
I know SP's mom and dad are big boat people...I noticed a pic on mom's FB of a boat motor on a trailer in some sort of storage unit. I also noticed a hose clamp on a hose attached to the engine. Factor in that 1/4" chain is used to pull boats and I have to wonder if there might be someone who works on boats....someone that may have seen SP with her parents out boating or w/e.

I thought tow truck driver or plumber, but boat mechanics would have both items, chain & hose clamps, handy at all times.

Any women working on boats would sure narrow it down.

(Edited to add) "48% of Boat Mechanic are male in California, and 52% of the Boat Mechanic are female in California" - Salarygenius.com

Kaboom, thank you for the laughter over the map with the giant red ovals. It was most beneficial.

JMO
Ive thought about this too and the only thing I can come up with is the hose clamps were part of what they used around her wrists or ankles to keep her chained up wherever they were holding her for the 22 days.

Then when it came time to release her they found it easier just to leave the clamps on her and probably zip tie her to the vehicle with plastic zip ties.

The reason I think it was zip ties in the vehicle is the word "cut" or "cut her loose" was used to describe how they cut her free and got her out of the vehicle.

For the hose clamps. I think wherever she was being held they wanted to fasten her to something solid in the place. Like lets say a steel table and so they had maybe a long chain where she could move around a little bit but they didnt want her moving too far from the place they anchored her to. So they needed something to fasten the long chain to her body. And they wanted it solid enough where she could not work herself free at night when people slept. So some clamps around her wrists or ankles is what I was thinking they may have used. Kind of like we see prisoners shackled at the ankles. Maybe these perps were in jail or prison before and had the idea from there.

Not sure why they didnt have hand cuffs though. Hand cuffs seem much easier than something like hose clamps. And not sure how they fastened the clamps permanently because most have screws or bolts that could be undone.

Anyway its just the way I envisioned what they did.

I see your point and can see why they'd have some get up like that. The jail systems use shackles on the ankles, and wrist cuffs chained to a belt/chain around the waist (and zip ties). However, I don't see them taking time to get her into those restraints for the 2.5 hour drive upon initially kidnapping her in broad daylight. I do think the restraint might be able to give LE at least some insight about the assailant(s).

I've gotta take off for the night. Sorry I was not able to answer some questions but I tried to leave breadcrumbs where I could. Thank you all for your courtesy.

I've gotta take off for the night. Sorry I was not able to answer some questions but I tried to leave breadcrumbs where I could. Thank you all for your courtesy.

I think I found some of them. Thank you. Have a good night.

The thing that makes me think hidden ransom is the 3 weeks. That's a long time to hold someone, only to let them go.

Would it really take sex traffickers 3 weeks to figure out there was too much publicity?
Would someone wanting revenge, or to send a message, take 3 weeks to do so?
No and no.

It makes me think it was either for fun, or because they were waiting for something.

The 3 weeks and the access to chains is what makes me lean towards the POSSIBILITY that she was taken by people who were connected to the trafficking industry.

Traffickers are used to holding people foe months or years. So 3 weeks would be no big deal to them.

And they may have hoped the publicity would dissipate, making it possible for them to sell her as planned.

I could believe the revenge possibility. But I think that LE would have found some evidence of that if there was a big thing that someone would want to kidnap her for.

It is possible that it was just for 'fun' and their own gratification.It does happen that way sometimes, as disgusting as that is.

I believe the serial killer theory is possible.

Yesterday, I heard an interview with a woman named Jeremy Brown, who was a victim of serial killer Reginald McFadden. At the last minute, he decided let her go. He ambushed her, bound her, beat her nearly unrecognizable, raped her repeatedly, and then took her to the spot where he killed others. When he started choking her to death, she managed to whisper, "Why are you doing this? You're hurting me." And just like that he stopped, put her in the car, and drove her home.

(you can listen to the interview here: https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/604/20-years-later )

The perpetrator was a psychopath, so compassion was not a factor his decision to release her. He claimed that he meant to kill the girlfriend of a man he'd killed two weeks earlier, but went to the wrong house. In transcripts of an interview with him, he said:

"She had no connection to Robert. So, I decided to release her. I figured she didn't know who I was, she didn't see me, you know what I mean? And I released her... Yeah, I knew she was going to go to the police."

(His victim did not have a girlfriend.)

But he also said in the same interview, "She told me she was a counselor. That's what saved her life. She talked to me. I mean, she talked me down."

(http://mreplay.com/transcript/crimi...ller)/5304/MSNBC/Sunday_July_11_2010/366554/)

Whatever the reason he released her, it says that it is possible for a victim to be released. He had forbid her to look at him, and also put a towel over her head, but she had managed to take a peek at him without him being aware of it. If he thought she'd seen him, there's no doubt he would have murdered her.

As we know, serial killers do work in teams sometimes, and some SKs are women, and some release their victim, so it is possible SP was the victim of serial killers.

ETA: The only problem is the length of time SP was held. Do SKs ever keep a victim for 3 weeks?

I just answered my own question. As long as 6 weeks, according to the book, "Serial Killers: The Method and Madness of Monsters"

I'm hoping Lake16 will see this and maybe answer tomorrow.

Lake16,

Given that there's a lot of information you cannot comment on and have joined the board on this case on WS, is there a particular hope or goal you have in regards to WSleuthers and the discussion of this case?

How can WS best assist you/the case?

Bumping some things that I learned today....

Kaboom, thank you for the laughter over the map with the giant red ovals. It was most beneficial.

Re: gas station - most gas stations have cameras...at some point these two had to have gotten gas somewhere...as well as other supplies...unless of course they were all filled up, stocked up, and never went anywhere.

Can someone please tell me what the acronym CASA stands for?

Thanks !!

Sure, if you put it that way. But I could describe another potential scenario.

Maybe she was laying on the floor by the back seat. And she was not crying because she was trying to stay alert and figure out how to get out of this nightmare. So she is listening to the sound of the radio because it is the only thing she can hear. And she wonders what town it is coming from, and what might be said on the news. Maybe she is listening as a way to focus on something so she does not have a meltdown. Even rapid fire, I would be able to pick out the numbers when they do the TOP OF THE HOUR announcements. All radio stations seem to have those.

My scenario seems as potentially realistic as yours does.

Or, there was no radio played at all b/c if they drove for 2.5 hours, they may just drive out of range (It would here anyway.) and the station would fade out, a new one would come into range, giving you some idea of when your location changes, and to where. Unless they listened to Sirius.

Maybe I have the wrong acronym? I believe a few threads ago, someone made reference to a CASA race that SP might possibly have trained for.

I know upthread, reference was made to the Casa Superhero Run, and just wondering if that does or doesn't relate to the the capitalized CASA acronym.

From this link:

CASAs (Court Appointed Special Advocates) are volunteers and ordinary citizens, like you, doing extraordinary work. CASA volunteers establish stable relationships with foster children, getting to know their unique history and making informed recommendations to the courts.
When a child has an advocate, she is more likely to get needed services — and a permanent, stable home.

How old are the children involved?
The judge may assign a CASA to any child, youth, or young adult involved with the juvenile court. Your assigned child’s age can range from a newborn to age 20.

What types of cases are assigned to CASAs?
Judges assign CASAs to children who have experienced abuse or neglect and need the Court’s protection. Some children live at home with their parents, but the majority live out of home in foster care, in group homes, or with relatives.

What educational or work experience do I need to become a CASA volunteer?
You must care about children and their welfare – that’s all you need to be a CASA. Your life experience, common sense, and the drive to help will provide you with all the background you need to begin. In fact, it’s what makes you the most valuable. CASAs are everyday people, just like you, who bring a fresh set of eyes to the case. You will receive training and supervision to ensure that you understand your role.

What are a CASA volunteer’s responsibilities?
A CASA volunteer serves not only as a mentor, but also as a strong advocate and officer of the court. You will build a stable relationship with a young person, get to know their unique history, and interview the important people in that child’s life. You will also help them plan and develop age appropriate goals and access needed medical, education, career, and housing services. When the case goes to court (usually every six months), you will make informed recommendations to the judge about what is best for the child – and make a life-changing difference.

How does a CASA volunteer’s role differ from a social services caseworker’s?
A CASA volunteer does not replace a caseworker or social worker on the case, but serves as an independent, sworn officer of the court, appointed to investigate the child’s circumstances and help define the child’s best interests. CASAs work with social workers to ensure that judge has the best information, and that the child receives all of the services and supports he or she needs.

Court Appointed Special Advocates http://www.californiacasa.org/

I dont know other than its been mentioned a few times about the CASA run that she may have ran in.

I suspect it would be hard to find out since CASA may keep their volunteers anonymous for the most part.

Purely speculation mn my pArt, but I doubt she spent much time volunteering at CASA. She had a 2 and a 4 yr old. Those aren't usually the years that Moms can devote much time to other things. I volunteered more hours when my kids were in elementary and middle school. JMO

The Turkey Trot was to benefit the CASA program, a fundraiser for the program.

Maybe I have the wrong acronym? I believe a few threads ago, someone made reference to a CASA race that SP might possibly have trained for.

I know upthread, reference was made to the Casa Superhero Run, and just wondering if that does or doesn't relate to the the capitalized CASA acronym.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88