IN IN - Renee Bruhl, Patricia Blough & Ann Miller, Indiana Dunes SP, 2 July 1966

At the bottom of Richard Speck's Murderpedia page it says 12 suspected ind /ill so I assume they are putting these suspected murders in his column along with the 8 student nurses and Mary Pierce who was probably killed by Speck in Monmouth, IL 50 years ago this coming Saturday.

At the bottom of Richard Speck's Murderpedia page it says 12 suspected ind /ill so I assume they are putting these suspected murders in his column along with the 8 student nurses and Mary Pierce who was probably killed by Speck in Monmouth, IL 50 years ago this coming Saturday.

Hi All... I remember Speck was questioned on the disappearances after he was arrested and he claimed to know nothing about the case, but then.. he was Richard Speck, not exactly a trustworthy character. Although he was in the general area at the time, I believe he was ruled out as a suspect for several reasons.

Based on the report that home movies obtained by authorities show what appear to be the three women aboard a boat, it seems that is how they were taken from the beach area. The questions then arise: under what pretense did they board the boat? who invited them? and were any of the people known to one of more of the women beforehand? Another question is what was the destination of the boat (far out into Lake Michigan? meeting up with another boat or boats or even to a nearby location where they returned to shore and got into cars?)?

What I remember about this... and it's been a long time... was the girls left their belongings on the beach and got into the small blue tri-hulled boat with a well tanned male in his mid 20s with wavy dark hair and drove off. They possibly returned a little later, took a short walk down the beach; and then got back into the same boat and drove off again. This man has been suspected to have been an associate of Silas Jayne named Ed Nefeld who owned a similar boat, kept it a couple miles away from the dunes and put in a claim with his insurance shortly afterwards, claiming the boat had burned up. It's my understanding that this person is still alive and is still living in the Chicago area. He was also implicated and convicted in the killing of Silas Jayne's brother George. along with a guy named Barnes, which Jayne supposedly paid 30,000 to for the hit. To me, this guy looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and has feathers.

Also, the girls never asked anyone in the vicinity of their blanket to watch their belongings for them. A couple sitting nearby noticed that they had been gone a long time took it upon themselves and began watching over their stuff, actually chasing a couple people away that tried to take the purses. These people I believe notified the park rangers at the end of the day, who came and confiscated the belongings.

In reply to the May 1st post by Robb2014............I wonder if Ed Nefeld was ever questioned by authorities? Kind of interesting how the three girls are reported to have returned from the first trip on the boat, walked around the beach, then returned to the boat and left again.

50 years this Saturday July 2nd.

To reiterate, I would consider this one of the 5 big 50th anniversary cases this year along with Richard Speck (this week), Charles Whitman, Valerie Percy and Cheri Jo Bates (? first Zodiac victim?).

That's odd, why would they leave the boat to walk around for a short while and then re-enter the boat? Without getting their purses?

They wouldn't. Also, it's not at all likely that the Salas guy had anything to do with this case.

50yrs , so long ago now. Chances of anyone involved still alive will be low?

Based on the report that home movies obtained by authorities show what appear to be the three women aboard a boat, it seems that is how they were taken from the beach area. The questions then arise: under what pretense did they board the boat? who invited them? and were any of the people known to one of more of the women beforehand? Another question is what was the destination of the boat (far out into Lake Michigan? meeting up with another boat or boats or even to a nearby location where they returned to shore and got into cars?)?

There may have not been any pretense needed. Girls that age are out there to have fun, and if a man or group of men came by in a boat and asked them to party, they may have jumped at the chance especially if there wasn't a really large age gap, alcohol offered, etc.

The fact they went to this beech in the first place makes zero sense. Why this beech, and why any beech at all. Was this typicle behavior for these three women?

Also, it's highly unlikely that a gang of preditors would be cruising around on a boat on such a busy holiday.

50yrs , so long ago now. Chances of anyone involved still alive will be low?
See post #325. Apparently, suspect Ed Nefeld was still alive in 2016. Maybe someone can track down his current status/whereabouts.

The fact they went to this beech in the first place makes zero sense. Why this beech, and why any beech at all. Was this typicle behavior for these three women?

Also, it's highly unlikely that a gang of preditors would be cruising around on a boat on such a busy holiday.

The Indiana Dunes State Park has always been a get away spot especially for people from Chicago. It makes a lot of sense. You should see this beach on a fourth of July weekend. It is so packed they have to turn people away. Most of the cars have Illinois plates.

If you are a predator, wouldn't you want to stalk when the place is so packed that no one would differentiate you from others? Hiding in plain site, in other words.

Now 78 and long retired, he continues to chronicle the case from his home near Fort Myers. He has interviewed more people — witnesses, informants and the women’s kin — than the police have. His archive includes stacks of confidential police files and countless pages of notes, all boiled down into a 120,000-word manuscript containing his theories about the fate of the women.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/justice-story/3-girls-beach-found-article-1.1216303

I have read reports from Dick Wylie, who has been investigating this case for 50-years. Wylie has done incredible work on this case, including exstenive research into the lives of these women. I had earlier posted a link to one of manuscripts, but the link went dead. I wish I would have saved a copy, but if I find another one I will post it here.

His theory sounds plausible, and he himself sounds genuine.

His theory sounds plausible, and he himself sounds genuine.
He needs to name the "young relative of the Largos."
I would like to see a 1966 color photo of the young relative and one of Ed Nefeld.

Apparently, he lived very close to the tavern where Patty and Ann hung out. Also, it was said that he had a boat that matched the witnesses discription.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtandSims4
Back