Todd Kohlhepp - Profile of a Killer?

I'm late in reading this thread so I apologize if this has been covered but I have to say that I am not impressed with this Sheriff.
I thought he was very disrespectful to the victim, Kayla Brown, by telling the world that she was "chained like a dog." He could have given the facts (that she was found chained) without comparing her to an animal. Imagine trying to recover and lead your life knowing that people think of you as the woman who was "chained like a dog."
For the rest of her life, when someone types her name into Google, that is what they will read about her.
The sheriff seems smalll minded and unprofessional and the whole link between TK and the Superbike murders is suspect, imo.

Borderline? Really?

No. Psychopath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they only gave him that diagnosis because medical professionals cannot legally diagnose anyone under the age of 18 with anti-social personality disorder, and he was only 16 at the time.

I think they only gave him that diagnosis because medical professionals cannot legally diagnose anyone under the age of 18 with anti-social personality disorder, and he was only 16 at the time.

It's not illegal to diagnose ANYONE with a personality disorder at any age, really. It's more premature and indicative of being a poor practitioner. A more suitable diagnosis is Reactive attachment disorder and a comorbid conduct disorder. That's how you say a child is sociopathic, without saying they're hopeless.

I get annoyed seeing borderline diagnosed so much. It needs to be a more narrow diagnosis. They just hand it out like candy, even to adults, when they should just really say PDNOS.

It's not illegal to diagnose ANYONE with a personality disorder at any age, really. It's more premature and indicative of being a poor practitioner. A more suitable diagnosis is Reactive attachment disorder and a comorbid conduct disorder. That's how you say a child is sociopathic, without saying they're hopeless.

I get annoyed seeing borderline diagnosed so much. It needs to be a more narrow diagnosis. They just hand it out like candy, even to adults, when they should just really say PDNOS.

Would a different diagnosis as a child helped him received better or different care? Also, does anyone recall the quote his mother made regarding her parents not wanting her to have children?

Perhaps. It certainly wouldn't have carried the stigma associated with an ASPD diagnosis. The brain doesn't stop developing until around age 25, so behaviorally, many of these kids can be helped. No doubt it would be VERY rigorous, but thats far better than being cast aside and developing a fully blown psychopathic personality.

I'm late in reading this thread so I apologize if this has been covered but I have to say that I am not impressed with this Sheriff.
I thought he was very disrespectful to the victim, Kayla Brown, by telling the world that she was "chained like a dog." He could have given the facts (that she was found chained) without comparing her to an animal. Imagine trying to recover and lead your life knowing that people think of you as the woman who was "chained like a dog."
For the rest of her life, when someone types her name into Google, that is what they will read about her.
The sheriff seems smalll minded and unprofessional and the whole link between TK and the Superbike murders is suspect, imo.

She may have given him permission to say that. We just don't know.

Wasn't expecting much, had it on in the background. I was surprised, It was very good. Came from a different persective.

"In the series, filmmaker and investigative journalist Maria Awes got access to Kohlheep from prison."

“With the help of former FBI profiler John Douglas and Kohlhepp’s own biographer, Gary Garrett (used to work with Kohlhepp), Awes goes down a twisted path, talking to Kohlhepp’s family, as well as his victims and their families, uncovering early warning signs that might have helped stop a killer in his tracks,” the show’s website says."

If you have interest in this case, please watch. New information from non traditional media.

Love for independent journalists.

You are brave and doing a service for humanity. Stay strong.

The public misses you!

How many episodes in this 3 part series have aired? I’ve never ever heard of this guy. So I’m intrigued. Going to look on Sling and see if it’s available on ID , I watch ID constantly but I somehow missed this. Probably because I’ve never heard of him so it didn’t peak my interested. I just don’t want to watch the last part if it’s in 3 parts . I need to look for all that have been aired.

Whats more shocking is how anyone didnt see this coming , as he was a walking red flag his entire life

Something to remember , is that Psychopaths (which is what he is) process things differently from the rest of us

In Todds case, most people viewed his success, as a turning point in his life, however to the psychopath, all that success does is solidify in their psyche that they are better than others, and if that success is gained through lies and deceit, it just means they can get away with whatever they want .

Though most would say he turned his life around after prison, .. all that success did was feed the monster inside, and like anything you feed it grows .

And 1 more thing , don't think that Todd Kohlhepp was just an "angry" individual who couldn't control his temper and that's when people died, that is complete BS

He was a cold calculating, predator who knew exactly what he was doing, and only exhibited anger, when he could no longer control people or a situation.

And that was evident at age 15 when he abducted at gunpoint, and repeatedly raped a 14 year old, before threatening her not to say anything or he would murder her younger sisters.

And I SERIOUSLY doubt any claims that ALL of these victims did something to trigger him into action, this is a guy who lured people to HIS property where he immediately killed the most serious threat (Males), before enslaving the females, and subjecting them to rape daily.

In the Superbike murders, I seriously doubt that they were insulting a guy with a business reputation that Kohlhepp had , he wanted to return the bike he damaged, they said no , Im willing to bet he then resorted to trying to intimidate them, when it didnt work he began shooting up the place .

The underlying psychological factor in his life was control, not anger .

Last edited:
And 1 more thing , don't think that Todd Kohlhepp was just an "angry" individual who couldn't control his temper and that's when people died, that is complete BS

He was a cold calculating, predator who knew exactly what he was doing, and only exhibited anger, when he could no longer control people or a situation.

And that was evident at age 15 when he abducted at gunpoint, and repeatedly raped a 14 year old, before threatening her not to say anything or he would murder her younger sisters.

And I SERIOUSLY doubt any claims that ALL of these victims did something to trigger him into action, this is a guy who lured people to HIS property where he immediately killed the most serious threat (Males), before enslaving the females, and subjecting them to rape daily.

In the Superbike murders, I seriously doubt that they were insulting a guy with a business reputation that Kohlhepp had , he wanted to return the bike he damaged, they said no , Im willing to bet he then resorted to trying to intimidate them, when it didnt work he began shooting up the place .

The underlying psychological factor in his life was control, not anger .
I totally agree. I happen to know someone affected directly by the Superbike murders. I just keep wondering how much of TK’s behavior was environmentally driven. Ie., nature vs. nurture. Scary stuff.

I totally agree. I happen to know someone affected directly by the Superbike murders. I just keep wondering how much of TK’s behavior was environmentally driven. Ie., nature vs. nurture. Scary stuff.

Psychopathy is a little bit of both, where Sociopathy is more a product of nurture .

Most psychopaths are not criminal, though its what we associate them with most.

Kohlhepp, began exhibiting anti social behavior at a young age, anti social behavior is most associated with sociopaths, but the characteristics of the 2 will often overlap.

Some say thery're cousins of the same family of behaviors (Cluster B)

By the time either manifests itself its usually too late to do anything about it, primarily in the case, of predatory crimes (Crime in which people use others to gain what they want)

In some cases, if the crime is situational, changing the environmental factors surrouding the individual may be successful in altering the course of their criminal behavior

For EX Situational child molesters may stop victimizing children if something changes in their life

But that doesnt work for psychopaths, psychopaths gain something from their actions, usually self gratification IE they do what they do because they like it , they like it because it fills a void in their psyche.

In cases where you see an adult criminal psychopath you are usually dealing with either an overbearing (or abusive) parental figure , an absentee (Emotionally or physically) parental figure, or an over indulgent parental figure (spoils child) in some cases both, but in rare cases, they come from seemingly normal families.

Kohlhepps parents divorced when he was 2, his mother re-married a man who did not get along with Todd. Todd stated at an early age he wanted to live with his biological father who wanted little to do with him

Were talking about a child who was already in counseling for his behavior at age 9 .

At 12 his mom and stepfather split up , and he was sent to live with his biological father who introduced him to weapons .

That relationship deteriorated because his father was often away spending time with various women, he wanted to move back with his mother but she now didnt want him back

Just 3 years later he abducts a 14 year old girl at gunpoint takes he to his house and rapes her .

How no one saw it coming is the bigger question

Psychopathy is a little bit of both, where Sociopathy is more a product of nurture .

Most psychopaths are not criminal, though its what we associate them with most.

Kohlhepp, began exhibiting anti social behavior at a young age, anti social behavior is most associated with sociopaths, but the characteristics of the 2 will often overlap.

Some say thery're cousins of the same family of behaviors (Cluster B)

By the time either manifests itself its usually too late to do anything about it, primarily in the case, of predatory crimes (Crime in which people use others to gain what they want)

In some cases, if the crime is situational, changing the environmental factors surrouding the individual may be successful in altering the course of their criminal behavior

For EX Situational child molesters may stop victimizing children if something changes in their life

But that doesnt work for psychopaths, psychopaths gain something from their actions, usually self gratification IE they do what they do because they like it , they like it because it fills a void in their psyche.

In cases where you see an adult criminal psychopath you are usually dealing with either an overbearing (or abusive) parental figure , an absentee (Emotionally or physically) parental figure, or an over indulgent parental figure (spoils child) in some cases both, but in rare cases, they come from seemingly normal families.

Kohlhepps parents divorced when he was 2, his mother re-married a man who did not get along with Todd. Todd stated at an early age he wanted to live with his biological father who wanted little to do with him

Were talking about a child who was already in counseling for his behavior at age 9 .

At 12 his mom and stepfather split up , and he was sent to live with his biological father who introduced him to weapons .

That relationship deteriorated because his father was often away spending time with various women, he wanted to move back with his mother but she now didnt want him back

Just 3 years later he abducts a 14 year old girl at gunpoint takes he to his house and rapes her .

How no one saw it coming is the bigger question
Very thoughtful post.

Off topic:
It reminds me of a young man I once knew (in my professional life.) One time he told me he’d like to go on a date with me after tying my husband to a tree so my husband could watch. Another time he said his favorite thing to do was to “set bums on fire.” One of my coworkers was so freaked out she called LE about him, just to alert them to his presence. Since he had committed no crime, they couldn’t do anything. There was a string of car breaks-ins and a random double homicide in the area (small town) shortly after all that and I kept thinking it could be him. But with nothing at all to point the crime to him, I couldn’t very well call him in. People can be a train wreck, massively creepy, and inappropriate, but you can’t call in a tip for someone being creepy.

Very thoughtful post.

Off topic:
It reminds me of a young man I once knew (in my professional life.) One time he told me he’d like to go on a date with me after tying my husband to a tree so my husband could watch. Another time he said his favorite thing to do was to “set bums on fire.” One of my coworkers was so freaked out she called LE about him, just to alert them to his presence. Since he had committed no crime, they couldn’t do anything. There was a string of car breaks-ins and a random double homicide in the area (small town) shortly after all that and I kept thinking it could be him. But with nothing at all to point the crime to him, I couldn’t very well call him in. People can be a train wreck, massively creepy, and inappropriate, but you can’t call in a tip for someone being creepy.

Words are often precursors to action, but the real importance of threatening statements is the context, of which they are relayed, not the actual content of what they say.

For example, consider this letter.

"My dearest love, i loved holding your hand toady while we walked by the flowers, in time i cannot wait to hold you in my arms , and feel your nude body next to mine "

To most its caring , warm, and actually kind of romantic , but when you take into consideration that was an actual letter written from a 54 year old man to his neighbors 8 year old daughter, you can see plainly where the CONTEXT of whats said far outreaches the content .

In some cases, "Im going to chop you into pieces", isn't as indicative, as "Ill see you later " etc...

Some people like shock value, it doesn't mean that they are going to actually do anything along the lines of what comes out of their mouth, especially if there is absolutely no action to follow up those words .

If this individual kept contacting you after, or you began to run into him "coincidentally", then id be more concerned about his behavior .

If there was no record of attacks on the homeless, in which they were set on fire , then id take the words with a grain of salt .

Speaking from LE perspective, you have to understand what we get calls on every day, someone acting creepy has to be processed as fast as possible because (especially in major metropolitan areas) the next thing is going to be serious.

We catch a lot of flack because in the postscript of some atrocity the question always arises. "why didnt we act earlier", to that you find out often we did , but because of the limitations of the system, our hands were tied .

The real key to preventing tragedies, is getting eyes on early, and not just police, were just part of it , but families, social workers, therapists, those in corrections, those in the psychiatric community, all have to be aware .

But it starts in and around the home

Words are often precursors to action, but the real importance of threatening statements is the context, of which they are relayed, not the actual content of what they say.

For example, consider this letter.

"My dearest love, i loved holding your hand toady while we walked by the flowers, in time i cannot wait to hold you in my arms , and feel your nude body next to mine "

To most its caring , warm, and actually kind of romantic , but when you take into consideration that was an actual letter written from a 54 year old man to his neighbors 8 year old daughter, you can see plainly where the CONTEXT of whats said far outreaches the content .

In some cases, "Im going to chop you into pieces", isn't as indicative, as "Ill see you later " etc...

Some people like shock value, it doesn't mean that they are going to actually do anything along the lines of what comes out of their mouth, especially if there is absolutely no action to follow up those words .

If this individual kept contacting you after, or you began to run into him "coincidentally", then id be more concerned about his behavior .

If there was no record of attacks on the homeless, in which they were set on fire , then id take the words with a grain of salt .

Speaking from LE perspective, you have to understand what we get calls on every day, someone acting creepy has to be processed as fast as possible because (especially in major metropolitan areas) the next thing is going to be serious.

We catch a lot of flack because in the postscript of some atrocity the question always arises. "why didnt we act earlier", to that you find out often we did , but because of the limitations of the system, our hands were tied .

The real key to preventing tragedies, is getting eyes on early, and not just police, were just part of it , but families, social workers, therapists, those in corrections, those in the psychiatric community, all have to be aware .

But it starts in and around the home
Again, a very thoughtful post. The off-topic creepy guy I was talking about actually ended up stalking my sister (showed up on the roof outside her window at college), and later was arrested for taking a chainsaw through the university library wearing a hockey mask and saying, “we all go crazy sometimes.”

I wonder if Kohlhep was on LE’s radar as simply a creepy dude. But goodness, there are a lot of creepy people out there.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back