Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996-1997, Perth, Western Australia - #7 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could someone kindly link the recent YouTube clip of police statement & Karl O to the thread ?
And any other new interesting footage if possible.

Is this the one you mean.

[video=youtube;RKBE1YW9Hew]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKBE1YW9Hew[/video]

Sorry cant paraphrase the article as its now under a paywall for me also.
What i recall is that his wife moved out a year ago and was just him and his stepdaughter living there when he was arrested.
They went into detail about his jobs and awards hes received over the years with loval government members presenting them. People from little leagues and such being quoted as in disbelief pretty much.
At the end there was something about familial dna being helpful in identifying him.
Sorry wish i had screen shotted some now. Was quite a long article

About the kimono-seems to me from the beginning he's been taking trophies basically. I remember a long time ago the police were looking for items including a brooch off the Claremont victims. Hoping they find something of SS and maybe others so the family can have definite answers to him being involved in that (though really..is there any doubt)

Occasional lurker here(purely because of CSK) but came here to post this.

https://who.is/whois/.com

Registrant Contact Information:
NameBRADLEY EDWARDS
Organization
Address
CityKEWDALE
State / ProvinceWA
Postal Code6105
CountryAU
Phone
Email

Someone mentioned this name prior and this confirms the alias as Bradley Edwards as well as his e-mail. I've way backed it but it just looks like the old site had some CMS template

First time poster.

I'm intrigued by how others who have come across the alleged CSK must feel, especially those who may have dealt with him at BLAC, were old school friends or aquaintances etc. Do they look back and question everything now, searching for clues and feeling a level of guilt about what if they had noticed something earlier and may have stopped a crime being committed. Anyway I think someone mentioned he may have had a brother who went to Gosnells SHS, geographically close to an early attack and a bit of searching reveals a Brad Edwards in the class of 1985. Seems to all match. Imagine being the old class mates (if this is correct) and how they feel now.

Could you please paraphrase as it's behind a paywall for me.

Agreed . Thank you

Edited : hmm for some reason the link works in my phone's browser but not if you access it by clicking the link from this page (paywall).

Here's a c&p of the article :

Accused Claremont serial killer Bradley Robert Edwards’s suburban Perth life, including as chairman of a Little Athletics club, was so ordinary he was considered a “no one” until science helped investigators link him to a graveyard rape and some of Australia’s most baffling murders.

The arrest of the 48-year-old Telstra technician from Kewdale in the aspirational City of Belmont in Perth’s east comes a decade after a cold-case review that set police on a path towards his door. As the Macro Taskforce painstakingly studied car upholstery fibres on one of the three victims — 23-year-old childcare worker Jane Rimmer — and tried to extract a DNA profile of the killer from the body of another — 27-year-old lawyer Ciara Glennon — Mr Edwards was going about the modest job he’d had for *decades.

GRAPHIC — The Claremont murders

Telstra declined to comment about its long-term employee yesterday, but The Weekend Australian has learned his skills made him useful in the field for the company’s contracts with resources giants Rio Tinto and BHP in Perth and in the state’s north.

Mr Edwards and his French wife, Catherine, bought their Kewdale home in 2000 and he was stepfather to her daughter.

Mystery that haunted a cityMystery that haunted a city
Mr Edwards’s former state MP Eric Ripper recalls meeting the couple at functions for community volunteers about three times a year, including at Christmas drinks in his electoral office to say thanks to those who gave their time for children’s sport, the disabled and the elderly.

In 2013, it was Mr Ripper’s duty to award Mr Edwards a service medal for 10 years at Kewdale Little Athletics.

“I am deeply shocked, as I’m sure everyone in Belmont is,” Mr Ripper said yesterday.

In October 2008, federal *Liberal MP Steve Irons praised *Mr Edwards in a speech that *acknowledged the work of volunteer sports administrators in his Perth electorate. “The (Kewdale Little Athletics) chairperson, Bradley Edwards, heads up a fantastic committee and a hardworking group of volunteers,” Mr Irons said. “As we know, without volunteers, sporting clubs and competitions like this would not exist.”

Mr Edwards’s marriage ended about a year ago, The Weekend Australian has been told. His now adult step-daughter, who has not been charged with any offence, has continued to live with him.

At 8.30am yesterday, as transport guards at the Perth Police Complex put Mr Edwards in a van for his first court appearance, West Australian Police Commissioner Karl O’Callaghan dropped a carefully worded bombshell about the most expensive homicide investigation in Australian history.

He revealed that police believed Mr Edwards’s life of crime went back 28 years.

He is charged not only with the 1996 murder of Rimmer and the 1997 murder of Glennon, but also with two earlier sex offences. Police now believe he is the rapist who snatched a 17-year-old girl from Claremont after dark the year before the Claremont serial killings began.

That teenager was restrained with what she reportedly told police were ties, and driven to Karrakatta cemetery where she was raped. The girl never saw who *attacked her because he put something over her head.

Police have also charged Mr Edwards with a home invasion in 1988, when he would have been 20 years old. They will allege he forced his way into the bedroom of a young woman and sexually *assaulted her before she struggled and he bolted.

The unsolved rape at the cemetery has taken a terrible toll on the victim, who has found great strength to move on with her life.

Mr O’Callaghan thanked her for her patience yesterday, as well as paying his respects to the parents of the Claremont victims who had waited 20 years for a development as significant as this one.

No charges have been laid over the death of Sarah Spiers, the 18-year-old long described as the Claremont serial killer’s first victim. Mr O’Callaghan yesterday stressed the Macro Taskforce’s work was ongoing.

By 2004, Macro Taskforce was considered stalled when Dennis Glennon, Ciara’s father, began to quietly ask for a cold case review involving international experts.

Soon British forensic scientists Dave Barclay and Malcolm Boots were working with superintendent Paul Schram from the South Australian bodies-in-barrels case to try to find new lines of inquiry for the Macro Taskforce.

Police have never said whether it was advice from the experts or simply advances in technology that helped them make the breakthroughs that followed, but soon they had two new clues. They had learned that the fibres found on Rimmer’s body could have come only from a mid-1990s Commodore VS Series. There were reportedly about 50 of these fibres and the exact upholstery was not used by Commodore in earlier or later models of the vehicle.

And they believed they had managed to obtain a DNA profile of the killer from the body of Glennon. In an astonishing development, they matched this to the Karrakatta rape in 1995.

The person they were looking for, they decided, drove a late-model mid-1990s white Holden Commodore VS Series in the mid-1990s. They had his DNA but they did not know who he was.

Next came the technique sometimes called “familial DNA” where police look for people who are closely related to a suspected offender.

Referencing:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...d/news-story/f34913420ecf0edf1a4b991994f8254d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except we know that she did make a call from that phone booth from phone records, and witnesses saw her waiting there alone.

Perhaps he tapped the phone line from a short distance a way. When he heard a pretty young girl make a call for a taxi, he put magnetic Taxi plates over the Telstra logo and went to pick her up...

I recall a radio competition around that time where a few Telstra workers won $50k by rigging the phone lines. The station got suspicious, resulting in the guys getting caught and the prize money was taken off them. It's certainly plausible that BE used the phone to his advantage also.

69a484d40b4395206bf050afdb85f06b.jpg

Artist sketch of b.e. in court 23-12-16. source Herald sun newspaper / Google search

1b07bc615db9ba2927c9a19f4b10a4e8.jpg
61772df6f39ad4103675f3ddea6d704b.jpg

Picture of kimono .
Source google & todays news links
Edited pics for detail

I recall a radio competition around that time where a few Telstra workers won $50k by rigging the phone lines. The station got suspicious, resulting in the guys getting caught and the prize money was taken off them. It's certainly plausible that BE used the phone to his advantage also.

In those days phone lines came to a junction point typically under the footpath not too far from the property. Telstra could access them by pulling up a small concrete or metal slab with a special tool. From here they then ran in trunk lines to the exchange. This is becoming less common today due to the NBN and fibre, but you'll still see this in many suburbs around Australia.

It would be trivial for a Telstra employee to listen to the phone conversations coming from that public phone without being at the exchange, although he could also do it from the exchange itself (much more risky if they're manned at night and require signing in). The junction point may, for example, have been in Chatswood Tce - very dark and rarely used at that time of night, and nobody would think much of a Telstra guy messing around in a hole. It would not have taken much for him to hear the call, then get in his station wagon and proceed to the corner. From memory I believe the time the real taxi arrived either 6 or 8 minutes after she made the call, he could have easily been there within 2 minutes. If he was listening at the exchange it wouldn't have been much more than a couple of minutes to to drive there, either.

69a484d40b4395206bf050afdb85f06b.jpg

Artist sketch of b.e. in court 23-12-16. source Herald sun newspaper / Google search

Before everyone says how this looks nothing like the recent photos, remember how court sketches (at least in Perth from my memory) for some reason never seem to look like the person at all! Weirdly this does look a bit more like the '' photo out there which appears to be of a younger bloke, so I'm not sure whether it's BE or just one of his mates. IMPORTANT EDIT: the bradcat photo out there is 99% most likely not our suspect because 1) school photo below shows dark hair, 2) suspect had an aversion to having his own photo out there but has history of manipulating photos of friends.

First time poster.

I'm intrigued by how others who have come across the alleged CSK must feel, especially those who may have dealt with him at BLAC, were old school friends or aquaintances etc.

I was wondering the same thing and I hope this leads to more clues and leads about earlier crimes, and perhaps even link him to other unsolved crimes in the years from late 80's and bring closure to those people too.

I assume between the crimes in 1988 and 1995 that there would have been more incidences... as the break and enter/indecent assault/fleeing is far less sophisticated than the 1995 abduction into a van/cover the head/cord for restraint/aggravated sexual assault in a graveyard.
The first one seems more a crime of opportunity with perversion/stalking associated with it. Imo he must have known the 18 yr old at least lived there and maybe knew what room she slept in, and maybe was wondering around at night stealing clothes from clotheslines like a creepy pervert and got an "urge" so took the opportunity to take it out on this poor girl.
The second one seems like a crime of opportunity but fully planned out and had "hunting" involved.
The girl was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Imho that is a huge escalation alone, so I assume he gathered more experience between 1988 and 1995, unfortunately. So I really hope more crimes are solved as a result of this and more evidence gathered to ensure that he remains behind bars for good.

Maybe he still stole clothes from clotheslines as a precursor to all his crimes and to build up that "urge".
Would be interested to know how many reports of missing women's clothes from clotheslines there were around that time and where.
Im speculating here but if this was part of his MO, then it seems that the clothes would have to have been around the areas of the abduction spots as maybe the "urge" built up fairly fast and he had to act on it. I can't imagine him stealing clothes around the kewdale/gosnells area (if indeed that's where he lived at the time) then driving all the way out to Claremont.

Makes you wonder what he was doing in Claremont in the first place if he didn't live around there... maybe that's where his now ex wife lived at the time? Or someone else he knew? He'd have his car prepped and leave whomever's house he was visiting and go and commit these horrible acts?

For the record these are all just my opinions.

1b07bc615db9ba2927c9a19f4b10a4e8.jpg
61772df6f39ad4103675f3ddea6d704b.jpg

Picture of kimono .
Source google & todays news links
Edited pics for detail

Ive been pondering this stolen kimono thing for a bit now, why steal it? It just dawned on me. He took something from every one of the girls didnt he? Im presuming as a trophy. I think thats a reasonable conclusion to reach anyway.
Picture of the silk kimono in the attached. Did he start out by stealing ladies underwear/clothing from clotheslines?
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...e/news-story/d5498c5d0593771d7f526f90646d52f0[/QUOTE
note: no gloves or other protection of evidence from contamination

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My dad worked for Telecom many years ago, working at the local exchange, as a technician. (passed away over 20 years ago and it wasn't in WA)

My sister claims that he could listen in on our conversations - she would be on the phone to friends for ages, and said a couple of times he would get on the same line and tell her to get off the phone. This sister is a pathological liar, so I don't know if she was telling the truth.
I don't know why he didn't just disconnect her at the exchange. (maybe she would have just redialed her friends?)

(oh just remembered I heard a rumour one guy did lose his job because he was listening in on his ex-wife's phone calls)

My mum's family lived elsewhere, so all phone calls to them were STD rates. When my dad was working evenings at the exchange, he would connect our mum to her siblings, so we weren't charged STD rates. There was less staff at the exchange due to it being night time, but apparently it was common amongst staff to put their family through the exchange to avoid large phone bills. (which of course was illegal) Some bosses were okay with it, others weren't, if my memory is correct.

So - it's possible if the girls called for a taxi, he could have been aware of it if he was working at the exchange. He could have listened in on the conversation, and could also have diverted calls from payphones.

That's very interesting!

Given he is an electrical engineer and worked for Telstra, I wouldn't be surprised if he could tap the pay phones and be aware of what was going on around the place.

A previous poster said a couple of pages back that they hung out in Claremont around that time and there were only payphones at the end of bay view terrace near Stirling hwy, which was very annoying... so I assume that he wouldn't need to monitor more than one or two payphones.

Its really super creepy that possibility with the phone call listening ..but also explains how he basically had 100% success of picking them up without struggle.
I just do not see him getting out of his car,throwing a victim in, getting back in car and driving off with no one noticing .
They had to have got in willingly OR he had to have hit them over the head first.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members