Sam the Boston terrier's 15-floor miracle plunge

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Sacramento dog survives 15-floor plunge, lands in hot tub (Sacramento Bee)

On the morning Sam became a neighborhood legend, he was sunning himself on the balcony, 15 stories up one of Sacramento’s tallest high-rises.

The small dog liked it up there: It was warm when the fog cleared. He could hear the hustle of the city at his feet. He’d gone out there almost daily since he and his owner, Bill McCourt, moved into the Bridgeway Towers more than three years ago.

But on Monday, Sam, a 13-year-old Boston terrier, somehow fell through the railing.

He plummeted past a man sipping coffee on an eighth-floor terrace, past workers and shoppers milling about the ground level and landed hard in the middle of a hot tub.

Sam was swimming when two building workers ran out because they heard a splash.

One worker recognized Sam but knew he lived on the 15th floor and wondered how he ended up in the jacuzzi.
---
more at the links; Daily Mail below has extra pictures

Partially blind dog 'Sammy' survives a 15-FLOOR plunge from balcony, miraculously lands in a hot tub

⁍ Bridgeway Towers is one of the tallest buildings in Sacramento
⁍ Sammy, a 13-year-old Boston terrier, fell from a 15th floor apartment
⁍ Workers found him paddling in the tiny hot tub below after hearing a splash
⁍ He broke five ribs and fractured his pelvis but is fine

Great story! And, as usual, Daily Mail has some pics.

Absolutely love the Bee's piece on this. Having owned Boston terriers my whole life, I can easily imagine Sam sunning, nosing about, and, especially, plummeting by the man on his eighth floor terrace, lol. It's a tribute to Bostons everywhere that, when confronted with water no matter how trying the circumstance, Sam simply swam.

Also, re: this, one might emendate Auden's "Musée des Beaux Arts" thusly, concluding

[...] and the man on his eighth floor terrace who must have seen
Something amazing, a Boston terrier falling out of the sky,
Had his coffee to attend to, and sipped calmly on.

[video=youtu;wrhlGyIY9gQ]http://youtu.be/wrhlGyIY9gQ[/video]

I can't believe at thirteen years old Sam could still swim after breaking five ribs and his pelvis. What a dog! I wonder what his owner is feeding him. I need to get whatever it is for my dog.

I love terriers of any kind and that dog has a great spirit that shines in his eyes. I guess the other children in the house will have to play easy with him while he finishes mending. The whole world is going to the dogs!

They said he is fine with 5 broken ribs and several fractures of his pelvis. I don't call that fine! And he is already 13 years old. I hope he will heal well.

They said he is fine with 5 broken ribs and several fractures of his pelvis. I don't call that fine! And he is already 13 years old. I hope he will heal well.
Sam is 13; one way or another, he doesn't have far to go -- none of my Bostons lived past 12.

M first memory of life, in fact, is of a Boston sidling up beside me -- I'd just learned to walk -- and nuzzling me away from a window in our apartment, from which I suppose I might have fallen headlong through the screen and down two floors to the sidewalk below. So the tale of Sam's longer fall has an immediate resonance with me.

They are wonderful dogs.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back