UK UK - Corrie McKeague, 23, Bury St Edmunds, 24 September 2016 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that an error with the information reported or a error in letting the information slip out?

Unfortunately I have no way of answering that and doubt the reporter would admit to a slip...

ETA: a long shot but I've been thinking about the posts above talking again about the rehab places. In an earlier thread someone posted a map of BSE from the West Suffolk website that included the numbers of the properties. Anyone have an idea where to start looking for it?

If the RAF haven't officially reported him as AWOL, then the paperwork won't have been generated to move it to the next phase of civilian 'Missing Person'. All these indicators suggest to me that the RAF have kept it in house and the police have been notified through default by the family (as they would) separately. I've seen no 'firm' suggestion or evidence so far that the RAF think he's AWOL...just drunk and not on duty. To do so would surely suggest a shift in attitudes towards full blown 'Missing' status. That's not what the military want to see in tomorrow's chip papers. It also suggests to me that they know where he is...'sleeping off and not on duty' (AWOL hopefully). Gathering long term evidence will be difficult as his mates ain't going to divulge and his superiors will be seen as prison warders.

The police haven't instigated a full 'Missing Persons enquiry' as they have no proof from the military that he is 'missing' apart from just exceptional concern by the family which are running a separate 'enquiry' led by UT and N. The information releases by the family AND the police seem to be very guarded with no definite mention of AWOL or otherwise. Covering their options so to speak. The lack of definitives by the family suggest to me a plausibility of Corrie's whereabouts?

<modsnip>

There seems to be several enquiries running parallel if you will, aiming for the same favourable target but travelling along a different path. It's like watching Darwin's Evolutionary Theory. I suspect a hell of a lot is kept in house by ALL parties and it wouldn't sunrise me if they let the whole thing naturally fade into oblivion if it IS AWOL. The fund raising pages if you look carefully, mention nothing of AWOL either. So in theory, no laws will be broken if the monies raised are used for purposes other than Corrie's recovery.
Contentious I know....but have a think about it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RSBM

In this situation the police can do nothing if they locate Corrie & he's emphatic that he is safe, well & doesn't want his family informed. He's an adult & their hands would be legally tied (unfortunately).
Thank you pixii. IMHO this is most likely what has happened. Police can't and therefore won't say any more. However, it would also appear to be the same if all leads dried up and no further evidence turns up. We would not hear anything else in both scenarios AFAIK.

I've been thinking about the lack of police information. Usually this is for a reason.

I wonder of the whole terrorism/kidnap theory holds some water here. I'd be fairly confident if this is the case, then it would explain the police being so coy about releasing information to prevent the usual media outcry.

However that said after reading further comments I still believe he was meeting someone who he pre arranged a rendezvous with - someone with an ulterior motive (you only have to look at the Stephen Port case to assess the risks)

The whole of AWOL theory for me just doesn't hold any ground as if this was the case his parents (given the media attention) would have have been tipped off he's ok.

With the spectre of kidnap and terrorism fading away and the lack of any further vehicle evidence, we are looking at limited scenarios now IMO.

Again the wording of forensic searches is only coming from Tony. The Police haven't said anything. I think those buildings in the immediate horseshoe area are businesses (unless someone knows better?) and I'm positive that all these businesses would have volunteered/gave permission to Police to do any/all searching they wanted without the need to get warrants.

Also I'm not convinced any dusting for fingerprints or DNA testing was done inside buildings given the claim is that the other bins weren't taken away for 10 weeks.

Yes indeed the 'forensically searched' comes from TW.

I was thinking in this situation, if the police came to my door (home or business when I had my own) and explained that they were dealing with a missing person case who was last seen very close by and they'd like to just take a look around my property to check for them, well I'd be fine with that. No problem to let them check outbuildings, have a look in each room, under the beds, in the wardrobes, heck even stick their head up through the loft hatch to have a look in there, I'd be absolutely fine with it.

But I wouldn't be fine with my property being dusted for fingerprints or DNA and if the circumstances were the same as this case, I'd insist on a warrant for that.

To me, "forensically searched" implies just that. Dusted for fingerprints, documents checked, DNA etc. It's that word 'forensic'. It suggests much more than a few police officers having a look around the building for someone who may be there.
This is why I'm wondering how other posters interpret "forensically searched". I don't think those businesses have been searched in the way that I interpret those words.

Yes!
So did the police get warrants to do 'forensic searches'? Because as I understand the law, they can't just come barging into private property and start dusting for fingerprints, DNA etc etc. They need a warrant unless certain circumstances apply, and in my interpretation those circumstances didn't apply in this case. At least as far as the information we know.

The weird thing is that Nicola said somewhere that the outside of the bins wasn't initially fingerprinted? Yet the outside of the bins, and possibly even the contents and an internal search without removing from the area, shouldn't need a warrant as they're easily accessible to the public while sitting in the horseshoe? Taking them away should need a warrant, but I would think the businesses would give permission without asking for a warrant? Can warrants be got in the case of a missing person without a body? I think that is where the dodgy ground is.

So taking number 2, if the police recognise and trace one of the vehicles and find C has gone willingly and trace C alive and well but he doesn't want to return, what next? He hasn't been reported as AWOL and he's not on missing persons list. What would the police do next in this scenario?
Taking number 1, we have already theorised about that I think, false plates, destroyed vehicle etc so no further lead there.

I believe it's officially listed as a missing persons inquiry from the police side, so if they found Corrie alive and he didn't want to go home or contact family, then I believe the missing persons inquiry can be closed. Because it's such a high visibility case, I would expect them to say he's been traced and found well and thus the case is closed, and leave it at that.

But, that ought to kick into motion AWOL status with the military, and it would be up to them, I presume, to ask the police to bring him in to them so that they could find out what happened and decide whether or not to put him in military jail, cut him loose from the military with or without good references, etc.

Although Corrie's not listed on the missing persons site, he is the subject of a missing person inquiry, and the police are putting a lot of resources into it, so he's not AWOL and he is missing in that his whereabouts can't be ascertained, and there is also fear he may have come to harm, just with no evidence to show how that might of happened or if he definitely has come to harm.

All jmo.

Yes indeed the 'forensically searched' comes from TW.

I was thinking in this situation, if the police came to my door (home or business when I had my own) and explained that they were dealing with a missing person case who was last seen very close by and they'd like to just take a look around my property to check for them, well I'd be fine with that. No problem to let them check outbuildings, have a look in each room, under the beds, in the wardrobes, heck even stick their head up through the loft hatch to have a look in there, I'd be absolutely fine with it.

But I wouldn't be fine with my property being dusted for fingerprints or DNA and if the circumstances were the same as this case, I'd insist on a warrant for that.

To me, "forensically searched" implies just that. Dusted for fingerprints, documents checked, DNA etc. It's that word 'forensic'. It suggests much more than a few police officers having a look around the building for someone who may be there.
This is why I'm wondering how other posters interpret "forensically searched". I don't think those businesses have been searched in the way that I interpret those words.

We'd need to check the law on this, but if you have a waste bin inside your property, then the police would need your permission or a warrant to search it. But a waste bin that's in your garden, right next to the garden wall/gate and is easily accessible to the public just by leaning over and opening the lid, I believe they wouldn't need a warrant to either fingerprint or take your rubbish, and as the bin might be property of the council in many cases, rather than the owner of the property or the rubbish collecting company, then I can't see the council denying permission to remove the bin, even without a warrant.

Because if the public can easily access your bin, commit a crime against a person and throw the victim's clothing or phone in your bin that's on the street accessible without access to your property, then it would be ridiculous if the police couldn't just open the lid of the bin and check the contents. So I believe that publically accessible means no privacy expectation, therefore it can be searched.

But that is just my opinion and I have no legal training to back it up.

So in regards of harm coming to corrie. If he was hurt maybe he was put in one of the bins.
Maybe he was in one of the flats and as it was so busy in the horseshoe area he was kept there until a very quiet period I.e Sunday night Monday morning. Then moved in a vehicle and left some where.
There is no bin collection on a sunday and shops would be closed maybe.
Phone was dumped in the recycling bin as anyone living there would know that recycling lorry was due. All just speculation of course.
I believe that cctv was not viewed after Saturday evening so would be no cctv available.

I don't believe any harm came to Corrie in that horse shoe area only because there would be evidence of some description to back that up. If someone had attacked him enough to really harm him then I would assume there would be blood at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The weird thing is that Nicola said somewhere that the outside of the bins wasn't initially fingerprinted? Yet the outside of the bins, and possibly even the contents and an internal search without removing from the area, shouldn't need a warrant as they're easily accessible to the public while sitting in the horseshoe? Taking them away should need a warrant, but I would think the businesses would give permission without asking for a warrant? Can warrants be got in the case of a missing person without a body? I think that is where the dodgy ground is.

It is odd !

I can only assume that "forensically searched" with regard to the interior of those multiple business properties doesn't entail what I think it entails. To me it suggests SOCO on site, in white protective clothing. I think I've misunderstood but I'd like to know it does mean.

We'd need to check the law on this, but if you have a waste bin inside your property, then the police would need your permission or a warrant to search it. But a waste bin that's in your garden, right next to the garden wall/gate and is easily accessible to the public just by leaning over and opening the lid, I believe they wouldn't need a warrant to either fingerprint or take your rubbish, and as the bin might be property of the council in many cases, rather than the owner of the property or the rubbish collecting company, then I can't see the council denying permission to remove the bin, even without a warrant.

Because if the public can easily access your bin, commit a crime against a person and throw the victim's clothing or phone in your bin that's on the street accessible without access to your property, then it would be ridiculous if the police couldn't just open the lid of the bin and check the contents. So I believe that publically accessible means no privacy expectation, therefore it can be searched.

But that is just my opinion and I have no legal training to back it up.

I would imagine that anything thrown into a bin would constitute discardment and therefore the property of the new owner....the bin company. If it still belonged to the person who discarded the rubbish, then a fine couldn't presumably be imposed on them?
If a bin was on private property (in a private garden for instance), then I would guess some sort of 'search warrant' was needed?
If it was on a public road such as the 'Horseshoe' bins, I would imagine that no warrant would be needed apart from permission to enter and confiscate potential items of interest?

JMO

I don't believe any harm came to Corrie in that horse shoe area only because there would be evidence of some description to back that up. If someone had attacked him enough to really harm him then I would assume there would be blood at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the method I suppose....I don't believe he did either.
I think he left of his own free will.
Jmo.

I would hazard a guess at this point that all vehicles have been checked and cleared. It'll be 14 weeks on Friday - that's a serious amount of time

Not cleared according to website and nothing quoted anywhere else to contradict or update. We can therefore assume imo that Police are still looking at vehicles at this point

Not cleared according to website and nothing quoted anywhere else to contradict or update. We can therefore assume imo that Police are still looking at vehicles at this point

Very frustrating. If I was corries family I would be very cross indeed

Speculative comment.
I reckon now, that Corrie chucked his phone in a bin* and then got into a car that was waiting just outside of the 'Horseshoe' up Short Brackland. The car then went 'local' and dropped him off locally to BSE. JMO

I can't explain the lack of social media from Corrie unless he's decided to use an alter ego or a non de plume? <modsnip>

*I'm struggling to understand however, how he managed to (if he did) drop his phone into EXACTLY the correct bin out of several paper bins and several general waste bins? Chances of that every realistically are slim but possible UNLESS prior collection knowledge was known?

Again JMO

Perhaps they have the make and colour type of model etc. but cannot get a clear print of VRN.

It is odd !

I can only assume that "forensically searched" with regard to the interior of those multiple business properties doesn't entail what I think it entails. To me it suggests SOCO on site, in white protective clothing. I think I've misunderstood but I'd like to know it does mean.

It would mean exactly that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member