Found Deceased CO - David Puckett, 6, Aurora, 31 Dec 2016

This is an interesting article about child tracking devices...

"We send our condolences to the Puckett family, and can't imagine what they're going through," said Jason Hicks, president of Precise Innovation, who said that in light of Tuesday's tragedy, his company is giving away 2,000 of the first-generation device (in purple) for the cost of shipping and handling ($9.95)."

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/high-tech-options-to-keep-tabs-on-your-kids

The body discovered yesterday has been ID'd by the Arapahoe County Coroner's Office as David Puckett.
https://mobile.twitter.com/AuroraPD/status/816747737949446144

No traumatic injuries were identified at autopsy. The cause and manner of death are pending per Arap Coroner.
https://mobile.twitter.com/AuroraPD/status/816748429221072897

ETA: Its never gets any easier to update threads to 'found deceased' and this one hurts a little bit more than most for some reason...I think because this little one perished in my own backyard. Prayers being said for David, his family, & all of those who knew and cared for him.

I am against punitive treatment of parents when there is an accident such as this. who is to say they didn't have some remedy in place that failed?

There are legal remedies for placing the onus of a case like this on one or more people. It will come down to what the police investigation turns up and whether or not the DA will press charges once the police hand the case over to them.

Sometimes something can be gained by using legal remedies but other times it would be inappropriate for any variety of legal reasons. In Colorado the DAs like to focus more on a rehabilitation remedy rather than one of incarceration.

This response is not intended to in any way say whether or not the family should be held responsible for this horribly tragic accident but rather to provide an answer on whether or not there is a legal remedy in any case.

MOO

My heart goes out to this family. I cannot imagine the guilt and remorse they must all be feeling due to this incident. My heart is broken for every single one of them. My hope is that they will one day find peace and be able to forgive themselves because I think if I were them, I wouldn't be able to forgive myself.

The community has come together and I know we will support the family in any way they need, even if that means we respect their need for privacy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am against punitive treatment of parents when there is an accident such as this. who is to say they didn't have some remedy in place that failed?

I am 100% in agreement with you. I'm afraid I wasn't as precise with my words in my original post as I should have been so let me add this caveat:

Legal remedies are available if there is a party at fault, such as if a caretaker killed the child and then tried to stage the scene to reflect an accident.

In this case we have no information saying that a caretaker was responsible. We have the police saying it looks like it was an accident and that at this time they do not suspect foul play. We also have a coroner saying the cause of death is tbd.

The likelihood that this was not a tragic accident is low. In my experience, the APD and DAs do not usually press charges for these types of accidents. We live in a progressive state that tries very hard to let the justice system work appropriately.

I can't personally imagine what this family is going through. I do not want anyone to think I was condoning a punitive legal remedy in this instance but was saying that the police will investigate and act accordingly.

I don't think the family should shoulder any 'blame' in any way. I don't think one can foresee something like this with a 6 yr old.

If he was 2 or 3, then I'd wonder why he wasn't being more closely supervised. But 6 yr olds can be given a certain amount of freedom and autonomy in their own home. One doesn't have to hover over them like they'd do with a toddler. 6 yr olds freely roam from room to room without a parent assuming they are going to jump out of a window. This is very sad and unexpected. :cry:

I don't think the family should shoulder any 'blame' in any way. I don't think one can foresee something like this with a 6 yr old.

If he was 2 or 3, then I'd wonder why he wasn't being more closely supervised. But 6 yr olds can be given a certain amount of freedom and autonomy in their own home. One doesn't have to hover over them like they'd do with a toddler. 6 yr olds freely roam from room to room without a parent assuming they are going to jump out of a window. This is very sad and unexpected. :cry:

Right? When I think about my son at that age, he LOVED to go exploring. I felt like he was safe because we lived in a rural area. But who's to say he couldn't have wandered to far sometimes?

"There but for the grace of God go I."

no, I agreed w what you said. maybe it didn't carry through because I quoted you and not the one you quoted.

I know car deaths are horrible but sometimes it is really an accident. there was a family who lost their baby this way because the mother had switched jobs and the dad did forget the baby in the car due to the schedule change and life w a young baby. nothing could have made those parents hurt any worse. they were in prison in their own mind. of course, an investigation should occur but not always a prosecution.

I am 100% in agreement with you. I'm afraid I wasn't as precise with my words in my original post as I should have been so let me add this caveat:

Legal remedies are available if there is a party at fault, such as if a caretaker killed the child and then tried to stage the scene to reflect an accident.

In this case we have no information saying that a caretaker was responsible. We have the police saying it looks like it was an accident and that at this time they do not suspect foul play. We also have a coroner saying the cause of death is tbd.

The likelihood that this was not a tragic accident is low. In my experience, the APD and DAs do not usually press charges for these types of accidents. We live in a progressive state that tries very hard to let the justice system work appropriately.

I can't personally imagine what this family is going through. I do not want anyone to think I was condoning a punitive legal remedy in this instance but was saying that the police will investigate and act accordingly.

I agree. The only way I could see charges being filed aside from obvious foul play would be if there was a documented history of abuse or neglect.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Absolutely.

I'd like to say that what I am about to say has nothing specific to do with this case or this family but might offer more precise language to what I should have originally posted.

If there had been a history or abuse or neglect, it might be prudent for law enforcement and the district attorney to work together to bring justice to the child, especially if there are other children in the home. Sometimes CPS/DFS might be involved in some way due to abuse or neglect. If the death of a child occurs due to the negligence or abuse of a caretaker, even if the caretaker did not specifically abuse the child in this instance, charges might be brought in order to protect the other children in the home and to bring justice to the child who passed away, but that would only be appropriate in the case of negligence that had been documented by officials prior to this instance.

Again, I say this as more of an intellectual exercise than a desire to put any suspicion on this family. My hope and prayer is that the Puckett family find peace and rest. I cannot fathom their pain and loss and I pray they are able to find comfort.

Absolutely.

I'd like to say that what I am about to say has nothing specific to do with this case or this family but might offer more precise language to what I should have originally posted.

If there had been a history or abuse or neglect, it might be prudent for law enforcement and the district attorney to work together to bring justice to the child, especially if there are other children in the home. Sometimes CPS/DFS might be involved in some way due to abuse or neglect. If the death of a child occurs due to the negligence or abuse of a caretaker, even if the caretaker did not specifically abuse the child in this instance, charges might be brought in order to protect the other children in the home and to bring justice to the child who passed away, but that would only be appropriate in the case of negligence that had been documented by officials prior to this instance.

Again, I say this as more of an intellectual exercise than a desire to put any suspicion on this family. My hope and prayer is that the Puckett family find peace and rest. I cannot fathom their pain and loss and I pray they are able to find comfort.
Completely agree.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I'd like to share my experience, but not to condemn nor justify the parents at all. Not taking a "side". My son is 11. He has autism and adhd. He is very impulsive. He is a wonderer. He got out of our house one time, in our pretty wooded back yard, headed for my sisters house. I was sick, laying on the couch. He was 7 at the time (plus or minus 6 months). I had the worst migraine headache in the world. My head was pounding. The house felt quiet ... too quiet and I called for him. He is often styming, or humming, or making some sort of verbal sound and something just didn't feel right. I ran out the back door, along with my two black labs. Now mind you, our entire acre property was fenced in because my son has autism and we've known since he was 3 (and for the dogs). For whatever reason, kids with autism (in my experience) are drawn to water, so we've always had a fence. Anyhow, it was a particularly bad winter and a snow laden tree fell on one section of the chained link fence. It was there that he crossed over the fence. He was approximately 300 feet into the woods when I heard him answer to my frantic screams. I ran to him, bawling my eyes out and asked him just where was he going???!! He decided he was going to walk to my sisters, three miles away, since I was "sleeping"
Since that day we have had chimes put on every ground level window and door. And have had ADT installed. Not everyone can afford a monitored alarm system, but those chimes are $10 at a hardware store and are very loud. My two labs have since passed at the ages of 13 & 15 and we now have a german shepard that never leaves his side.

Yes he is a boy, yes he likes to explore and wonder, but never by himself. Just never ever know. Yes, I watch my son every waking minute. He has a disability and until I know he can fend for himself and function in this crazy world, myself or his dog will be right there.

Not saying DP had autism, but one further thing.... if he was just wondering down the street, sometimes kiddos with autism just don't "hear" you. My son can be so hyper-focused on things that you can be right next to him calling his name 20 times, and he won't hear you. Especially if he is trying to get something finished or accomplished.

Before you all think I am a crazy helicopter parent, I also have a 10 year old girl. She has a certain level of independence and is given more freedom.

Just wanted to share

KUSA - As snow fell on Wednesday, Aurora's police chief laid a wreath at the icy pond in Olympic Park where David Puckett's body was found the day before.

Body found in pond identified as David Puckett

Chief Nick Metz was joined by about 40 other officers from the department, who stood out in the cold with David's family.

Aurora Police put together a video of the moment called "Remembering David."

"I want you to know that over these last few days, members of the Aurora Police Department and so many other law enforcement officers really wanted to help you find David," Metz says to the family. "This wreath is just a small token of our support."

A teddy bear and flowers were tied to the wreath, which was surrounded by balloons.

http://www.9news.com/news/local/aur...-pond-where-david-puckett-was-found/382215258

Heartbreaking video of Aurora PD remembering David. :tears:

I'd like to share my experience, but not to condemn nor justify the parents at all. Not taking a "side". My son is 11. He has autism and adhd. He is very impulsive. He is a wonderer. He got out of our house one time, in our pretty wooded back yard, headed for my sisters house. I was sick, laying on the couch. He was 7 at the time (plus or minus 6 months). I had the worst migraine headache in the world. My head was pounding. The house felt quiet ... too quiet and I called for him. He is often styming, or humming, or making some sort of verbal sound and something just didn't feel right. I ran out the back door, along with my two black labs. Now mind you, our entire acre property was fenced in because my son has autism and we've known since he was 3 (and for the dogs). For whatever reason, kids with autism (in my experience) are drawn to water, so we've always had a fence. Anyhow, it was a particularly bad winter and a snow laden tree fell on one section of the chained link fence. It was there that he crossed over the fence. He was approximately 300 feet into the woods when I heard him answer to my frantic screams. I ran to him, bawling my eyes out and asked him just where was he going???!! He decided he was going to walk to my sisters, three miles away, since I was "sleeping"
Since that day we have had chimes put on every ground level window and door. And have had ADT installed. Not everyone can afford a monitored alarm system, but those chimes are $10 at a hardware store and are very loud. My two labs have since passed at the ages of 13 & 15 and we now have a german shepard that never leaves his side.

Yes he is a boy, yes he likes to explore and wonder, but never by himself. Just never ever know. Yes, I watch my son every waking minute. He has a disability and until I know he can fend for himself and function in this crazy world, myself or his dog will be right there.

Not saying DP had autism, but one further thing.... if he was just wondering down the street, sometimes kiddos with autism just don't "hear" you. My son can be so hyper-focused on things that you can be right next to him calling his name 20 times, and he won't hear you. Especially if he is trying to get something finished or accomplished.

Before you all think I am a crazy helicopter parent, I also have a 10 year old girl. She has a certain level of independence and is given more freedom.

Just wanted to share
You sound like a great mom!

After looking at the map and seeing the signs that say Park and Ride and Park and Pool and LE is not
commenting on whether there is foul play involved, had me wondering who might have been parked in
the lot waiting for a ride or pool with someone and seen little David wondering around. Maybe just my
mind working overtime on this. Especially since there was no signs of a break in the ice when they
checked the area. Very new on here and have not posted but once and not on David's case.

I just back tracked on this thread and saw that he had been identified. Prayers for the family in their
time of need.

After looking at the map and seeing the signs that say Park and Ride and Park and Pool and LE is not
commenting on whether there is foul play involved, had me wondering who might have been parked in
the lot waiting for a ride or pool with someone and seen little David wondering around. Maybe just my
mind working overtime on this. Especially since there was no signs of a break in the ice when they
checked the area. Very new on here and have not posted but once and not on David's case.

I just back tracked on this thread and saw that he had been identified. Prayers for the family in their
time of need.

Welcome, NYArtist. I also still have a few questions based on prior upthread comments. There was a comment regarding bloodhounds losing the trail two blocks away from the home. There was a search of vehicles in the area. Did they suspect David got into a car two blocks away from his home? This could explain the loss of trail by the bloodhounds. Wouldn't the trail have continued to the pond? Then neither the family nor the volunteers searching saw any break in the ice when they initially searched the pond area. LE said "no comment" when the question was asked if the body was placed in the pond after death. Maybe we'll learn more from the coroner.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/weather.com/amp/news/news/david-puckett-missing-colorado-aurora.html

"The cause of manner of death is still under investigation, according to the Arapahoe County Coroner's Office."

I can't find where a cause of death has been stated.
It doesn't sound like it was a drowning. That is usually obvious upon autopsy.
Strange.
MOO

It may have been the cold water, the sudden shock of the cold water can kill without water entering the lungs

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
L1752
Back