Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sensational murder trial of Douglas Garland will dominate Calgary court cases in 2017
DECEMBER 28, 2016

Garland is charged with first-degree murder in the June 30, 2014 deaths of little Nathan O’Brien, 5, and the boy’s grandparents, Alvin and Kathy Liknes.

The trio disappeared from their Parkhill-area home that day and their bodies have never been found.

Garland was arrested days after their disappearance after police scoured his parents’ acreage northeast of Calgary.

His trial, beginning Jan. 16, is set to last five weeks, with veteran defence lawyers Kim Ross and Jim Lutz acting for him.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/12/2...and-will-dominate-calgary-court-cases-in-2017
Thanks Coldpizza :)

I hope this brings some small comfort to the loved ones once it's over.

I am forever dismayed and shocked at how long it takes to get to trial in Canada, here in the UK, from arrest to trial and sentencing can take 6-12 months on average and that's with a not guilty plea!

Sensational murder trial of Douglas Garland will dominate Calgary court cases in 2017
DECEMBER 28, 2016

Garland is charged with first-degree murder in the June 30, 2014 deaths of little Nathan O’Brien, 5, and the boy’s grandparents, Alvin and Kathy Liknes.

The trio disappeared from their Parkhill-area home that day and their bodies have never been found.

Garland was arrested days after their disappearance after police scoured his parents’ acreage northeast of Calgary.

His trial, beginning Jan. 16, is set to last five weeks, with veteran defence lawyers Kim Ross and Jim Lutz acting for him.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/12/2...and-will-dominate-calgary-court-cases-in-2017

Not that I am any kind of trial-expert at all, but I am seriously surprised that they are 'setting'/expecting the trial to only last 5 weeks? (And I believe they try to estimate on the high side, as opposed to the lesser end of the range?)

Considering there has been no announcement of bodies having been found (and so to prove 1st degree murder, they first have to prove 3 deaths did in fact occur), and the fact there are 3 deceased.. I would have somehow expected tons and tons of perhaps circumstantial evidence, all kinds of 'expert' testimony, exhibits, family history stuff, property ownership and business dealings stuff, evidence from the L home, DG's vehicle(s?), the sprawling G property, camera footages, police and witness statements, psych reports, past criminal history, and etc etc etc..... which would all take a lot of time. Is this because there *isn't* a boatload of evidence, or because the evidence that they *do* have, is of a 'slam-dunk' nature?

One more week? Somehow I am still expecting something to happen which would either postpone the trial, or cancel it.. (a guilty plea/deal perhaps?). It has been such a long wait. Also, considering that there is only the one accused, and there are no off-shooting trials, there should be no reason for any 'pub bans', should there? I'm starting to have anxiety about this... been waiting so long!! Are any here on WS planning/able to attend the trial at all?

Thanks Coldpizza :)

I hope this brings some small comfort to the loved ones once it's over.

I am forever dismayed and shocked at how long it takes to get to trial in Canada,
here in the UK, from arrest to trial and sentencing can take 6-12 months on average and that's with a not guilty plea!

BBM

..following trials here @ WS it seems to be the norm really, in the U.S. as well, for any high profile trial.

..of course they are always granted their right o a speedy trial, but of course waive that so their attorneys can get together experts, extra time to try to shred apart/throw out evidence , find witnesses to speak on behalf of their client...etc

..it's quite the game, DA ( Crown in Canada) vs defense these days, , the outcome isn't always the correct one, just that of the "winner".

..I live about an hour away from this one...hope to attend, and will be livid if "we" don't "win".

Not that I am any kind of trial-expert at all, but I am seriously surprised that they are 'setting'/expecting the trial to only last 5 weeks? (And I believe they try to estimate on the high side, as opposed to the lesser end of the range?)

Considering there has been no announcement of bodies having been found (and so to prove 1st degree murder, they first have to prove 3 deaths did in fact occur), and the fact there are 3 deceased.. I would have somehow expected tons and tons of perhaps circumstantial evidence, all kinds of 'expert' testimony, exhibits, family history stuff, property ownership and business dealings stuff, evidence from the L home, DG's vehicle(s?), the sprawling G property, camera footages, police and witness statements, psych reports, past criminal history, and etc etc etc..... which would all take a lot of time. Is this because there *isn't* a boatload of evidence, or because the evidence that they *do* have, is of a 'slam-dunk' nature?

One more week? Somehow I am still expecting something to happen which would either postpone the trial, or cancel it.. (a guilty plea/deal perhaps?). It has been such a long wait. Also, considering that there is only the one accused, and there are no off-shooting trials, there should be no reason for any 'pub bans', should there? I'm starting to have anxiety about this... been waiting so long!! Are any here on WS planning/able to attend the trial at all?

Me too (BBM above), although I just don't see Garland pleading guilty. I am really hoping the Prosecutor busts out some iron clad, hard core evidence (bodies? surprise video?). My gosh this has been sooo long coming and no real "news" from LE in ages. LE is so tight lipped here in Canada - so different from the States.

BBM

..following trials here @ WS it seems to be the norm really, in the U.S. as well, for any high profile trial.

..of course they are always granted their right o a speedy trial, but of course waive that so their attorneys can get together experts, extra time to try to shred apart/throw out evidence , find witnesses to speak on behalf of their client...etc

..it's quite the game, DA ( Crown in Canada) vs defense these days, , the outcome isn't always the correct one, just that of the "winner".

..I live about an hour away from this one...hope to attend, and will be livid if "we" don't "win".

I'm thinking to go and try to get a seat (which I'm sure will be a challenge). Thank God our cold snap is breaking next week.

Especially considering the wide spread coverage of this whole thing. I hope they brought in a big pool...

"Court officials say that over 470 people arrived for the initial selection and about a quarter were dismissed but they will be brought back if they are needed.

Lawyers are asking jurors a series of questions about what they know about the case. The questions asked are protected by a publication ban.

16 people will be chosen at the end of the process; 14 will hear the case and two will be alternates.

The trial, scheduled to start on Monday, is expected to last five weeks."

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/jury-selection-underway-in-douglas-garland-murder-trial-1.3236440

There are no bodies, but I suspect that there is evidence of what happened to the bodies on the Airdrie property (teeth and bone fragments in burnpit). I suspect that the amount of blood from the three victims at the first crime scene (Liknes rental) will be sufficient to demonstrate that none of the victims could live with that amount of blood loss.

I doubt that history plays into this other than motive, and we already know that motive relates to a bad business deal between the suspect and Liknes (patent application where suspect's name was omitted), and potentially a loan from suspect's family to Liknes to purchase Mexico condo ... combined with declaration of bankruptcy to absolve Liknes of debt just prior to murder.

There's probably evidence of the victims in Garland's truck (in addition to CCTV of truck leaving first crime scene - very likely with bodies). There might be shoe print evidence of suspect at victim's home.

There are very likely no witnesses other than the person who discovered the scene, people who know about the bad relationship between Liknes and Garland, and police and forensics. Psych reports are only relevant in determining whether the suspect is fit to stand trial. Suspect's past 'bad acts' and criminal history are not relevant. Ownership of property doesn't matter, only place of residence matters.

Douglas Garland triple murder trial jury selected after hundreds summoned to Calgary court

Hundreds of people packed into the Calgary Courts Centre on Wednesday as a jury of 16 members was selected for the trial of a man accused of killing Alvin and Kathy Liknes and their five-year-old grandson Nathan O'Brien.

Douglas Garland was charged with three counts of first-degree murder after the three mysteriously disappeared from a Calgary home in June 2014.

Garland's trial is expected to start Monday and last five weeks.

[...]

Though a typical jury consists of 12 members, in this case 16 people were selected — 14 jury members plus two alternates — to protect against a mistrial in the event anyone drops out due to unexpected circumstances.

Eleven men and three women were chosen to form the jury.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...n-alvin-kathy-liknes-jury-selection-1.3930547

Nancy Hixt is a great choice to follow on Facebook or Twitter as she is covering the trial. She is fantastic.

O'Brien family statement:

http://globalnews.ca/news/3163441/j...ouglas-garland-accused-in-nathan-obrien-case/

“We are grateful for the overwhelming support we have received from people in Calgary and across the country,”

I feel terrible for this family, having to re-live the horror over and over again... I hope justice prevails. Selfishly, I want details on how and why this happened--although I am well aware that we sometimes (often) never know why when it comes to murder and hence I don't expect to discover a reason this happened... just want some questions answers.

May this trial go smoothly and arrive at the correct outcome--whatever that is...

I'll let you guys know if I can get down there next week. I can only imagine how full that court room will be...

I'll let you guys know if I can get down there next week. I can only imagine how full that court room will be...

If I had to guess, beyond immediate families, a couple of reporters, and a few law students, there shouldn't be too many people. My guess is that most people are working or otherwise busy

Looking forward to updates if you decide to attend - thank you. I'm guessing you will have to hand in your phone when you enter the courthouse.

Garland - will he be sitting in a high chair in front of the judge towards the centre of the courtroom?

Garland - will he be sitting in a high chair in front of the judge towards the centre of the courtroom?
I'd like to see him sat in an electric chair 😠 Not enough to kill him maybe, enough to REALLY hurt for long time.

I wish for him to have trapped wind and hemorrhoids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie