Found Deceased CO - David Puckett, 6, Aurora, 31 Dec 2016

So not to derail this thread, but this is the fountain I was referring to, where the African American kids drowned. It's called "water gardens", and the church group was directed there by an employee of their hotel, since the hotel pool was broken. They arrived there prepared to swim, which is a tragedy, because they weren't from the area and were told it was a swimming venue.

The park is still open, and the photo the park uses shows people playing in the waterfall. If they slip into the pool in the center, they won't be able to get out. Astonishing.

The story:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/5232929/#.WHJPECMrIYh
The park:

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=e...ved=0ahUKEwih_Zzq47LRAhUr3IMKHa-IDVEQoioIcTAK

That seems so crazy! Yet, that seems like it's the only accident of it's kind, so maybe it's not as crazy as it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And YIKES on that water gardens place in Ft. Worth. I don't think I'd take my child there. I wouldn't even feel comfortable walking around there. That is just a bizarre design, for sure.

It's been there for 43 years, and only had that one accident. A lot of people have enjoyed it safely in all those years.

It's been there for 43 years, and only had that one accident. A lot of people have enjoyed it safely in all those years.

Yes, I know how to read. But that doesn't mean it freaks me out any less. I am unlucky and would probably slip. Tons of people go to the tops of tall buildings safely but that doesn't make it any less scary to me.

I have been shocked over the past week to learn just how many people go missing in a week. Here where I live at least 5 kids have gone missing this week. 1 was found deceased, 1 was at a friend's house and is safe at home now, 2 are still missing, and 1 is back home but I don't have further details. And across the country, it's even more unbelievable. Why does this happen so often?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Did they release a cause of death for David?

It's really a little surprising that a municipality didn't recognize the danger here. As I understand it, the fountain had pretty lights? And the fountain kept the water around it from freezing, where the rest of the pond was frozen?

So really. An unsupervised child (or impaired adult, or really an adventuresome adult) could walk up to look closer at the fountain and lights and suddenly the ice would give way and they would be so far from the edge of the pond that they'd face certain death.

Hmm. Nobody saw this as a disaster waiting to happen?

I'm remembering something from many years ago. It was a church camp outing for African American children, where they went to a park in the dead of summer when it was blazing hot, and there was a water feature there that if you got in it, you couldn't get back out. It was decorative only - it was DEEP, and if you even walked along the edge and lost your balance, you would drown because there wasn't a way to get back out. Anyone else remember this? Many of the children drowned.

This case reminds me of that. Putting a feature that keeps the center of the pond from freezing, where the rest of the pond freezes, and then light up that feature with pretty lights. ???? That would be beautiful in the summer, but turn it off in the winter when it's a death trap.

I remember when I was about 9 or 10 (so maybe about 1988?), a child fell into a residential pond near my mom's work and the child died (I don't recall if the child had been missing or what, but that was where they found them). I will always remember it. After that they fenced the pond in and kept it drained when they could. Then sometime in my 20's I drove by there and glanced at it and low and behold, no more fence and it was filled with new landscaping around it. I was completely shocked that they'd done that (maybe new management?). Just because it's been a while since something happened doesn't make it any less of a threat! I think about that child every single time I see that pond.

Editing to add that most likely this child was unable to get out of the pond I'm talking about is because it had a major slope. Unless you had something aiding you to climb out, it was way too steep.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back