CA CA - Brian Fernandez, 21, & Olivia Gonzalez (dec'd), 20, Los Angeles, 23 Dec 2016

Based on the distance they could have been there before dark and as another poster suggested to watch the sun go down. What we don't know is which day the car went over. No contact on phones from 4pm 23rd could mean no signal (forget your phone, APs, google maps as phone signal is almost non existent the tourist guide Info tells me) or something happened that day. JMO

Likely it's was the 23rd. Just after 4pm that they lost reception just past the elephant seals and after visiting the liquor store. This has been our thought since they initially found the crash.

I was there right after they pulled the car up. I talked to the reporter there that day when the mother began screaming after looking at the drivers side of the car. The reporter was curious about why she was screaming and went to look. There was no blood at all. And "yes" they were headed north.
92504df7e6fa2ddb3eb0a11cba8ad853.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is where the car went off. What you can't see are the four tree stumps and three trees blocking the way down the cliff. It would be tough to get the car down even to where these two woman are standing. They're at least 20-30 ft from the main road going southbound.

Yes. Based on everything that is what the police believe.

So they were going North, turned left and crossed the highway and pulled into the parking lot, and kept going, right over the edge of the cliff? I am trying to understand how that happened.

Yes. Based on everything that is what the police believe.

Police believe what? The car was extemely mangled...I am surprised LE let the reporter get that close to the car?

Are you a Verified Insider? If so I missed it.

Has there been recent info posted about this case?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

They did cross over. But the area where they went off was a vista point. It wasn't a situation of simply going off the cliff.

How do they know for sure they crossed over?

This part of highway 1 is a "stop. Get out. Walk 20-30 ft. Look. Get back in the car and drive" kind a spot. This isn't a "I was going to fast and flew off the cliff" kind of spot. Huge vista.

It appears hey actually went off the cliff 12/23/16. Right after their visit to the liquor store and on their way to Big Sur.

Likely it's was the 23rd. Just after 4pm that they lost reception just past the elephant seals and after visiting the liquor store. This has been our thought since they initially found the crash.

Olivia is said to have texted her sister's husband about 11:30 a.m. on 12/23 that they were two hours from Big Sur. Cambria is about two hours from Big Sur. Her phone went off at 4:00. Since it wouldn't take 4.5 hours to get to the crash site heading north, her phone must have lasted after the crash.

Not knowing how LE has determined that the crash happened at the viewpoint, I have wondered if they quickly pulled across the highway at a narrow pullout a very short distance south of the viewpoint. There are no barriers. I've wondered if it's possible that they could have been speeding, decided to pull off to look at the view here, miscalculated and gone airborne, tumbling and landing not far from the viewpoint. I assume LE is sure the car went off at the viewpoint, but since we haven't heard directly from LE in MSM, their reasons are unknown. I've studied the photos and google earth, looking at rock formations to see where they landed and haven't been able to tell. So I'm just throwing this out there as a possibility.

I suppose there's no way to tell for sure if the car was in drive, neutral etc? Maybe they were relaxing or something and accidentally shifted into neutral? I can see that this area is not at all the edge of highway cliffside I was picturing originally.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

While looking for updates. I find a msm post on Jan. 5th saying they found "his" body!!! Why are incorrect posts from msm remaining online.
I feel for family and friends.
This is the post. This post from msm is NOT in agreeance from any other msm post.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1521960997833588&id=1203014373061587
All I can think is what the? Why isn't this post removed.

While looking for updates. I find a msm post on Jan. 5th saying they found "his" body!!! Why are incorrect posts from msm remaining online.
I feel for family and friends.
This is the post. This post from msm is NOT in agreeance from any other msm post.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1521960997833588&id=1203014373061587
All I can think is what the? Why isn't this post removed.

I think you are misreading this post, Lisa. It just says they are "working to locate his body", not that they have actually located it...at least that's how I read it.

Here is an article about a man killed north of Ragged Point who backed his car too close to the edge.

The coroner’s office ruled the death as accidental, saying Leung backed his car too close to the edge of the cliff and the vehicle slipped off. The cause of death was head trauma, Cipolla said.

Considering the charges against him, I'm surprised they didn't rule it a suicide. But my point is that crazy accidents happen.

http://www.marinij.com/article/NO/20150419/NEWS/150419805

So they were going North, turned left and crossed the highway and pulled into the parking lot, and kept going, right over the edge of the cliff? I am trying to understand how that happened.
Yeah, if they were going the way they should have been on the road, that's what had to have happened.

That's why everyone was talking about how strange this was, and assumed foul play. It just seems crazy. It still could have been an accident, but an insane one. We may never know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Maybe they were having a disagreement, and someone grabbed the wheel from the driver...lost control and went airborne like Lilibet mentioned.

I think you are misreading this post, Lisa. It just says they are "working to locate his body", not that they have actually located it...at least that's how I read it.
Oh shoot! Did I...Oops. Too much football cheer!
Sorry :(
Thanks, Lilibet you're a great proofreader!

What an awful saga. I really hope he is eventually located so his family can have closure. I hate reading about these car accidents. I just hope that it was quick for all of them.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

I was there right after they pulled the car up. I talked to the reporter there that day when the mother began screaming after looking at the drivers side of the car. The reporter was curious about why she was screaming and went to look. There was no blood at all. And "yes" they were headed north.
I see the tire marks.
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 700
One other point I want to make is that the road just south of the narrow turnout I mentioned upthread is quite windy. It straightens out a little between the turnout and the viewpoint. But I can see a young driver doing a Parnelli Jones on the windy stretch, going too fast and miscalculating. There is a sign just before the turnout warning of rock slides, so that could cause braking, skidding, etc. I still wonder if they could have gone airborne near the turnout, ending up on the rocks near the viewpoint. I can't get my google earth screenshots to post. They illustrate what I'm talking about. There is a car at the turnout and at the viewpoint on google earth, so if you go there you will see what I mean.

Of course, I have no idea how fast a car would have to be going to travel through the air to get closer to the viewpoint, so this is probably far fetched.
As I mentioned above, I don't believe LE has actually stated why they think they went off at the viewpoint. So I'm open to other options.

ETA: This website illustrates how complex accident reconstruction is.
http://forensicaccident.com/Crash Analysis_.htm

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutalicy
Back