GUILTY SC - Walter Scott, 50, fatally shot by North Charleston PD officer, 4 April 2015 - #2

Scott couldn't have tased the officer. The taser had already been fired, and the model he had isn't a multi-shot unit. One and done. And the taser prongs were in Scott.

so just to recap what you can read in the trial blog - slager tazed scott by firing the tazer, he then tried multiple more times to taze him while they struggled by using the "unloaded" tazer as a direct contact stun gun, and then he lost control of the taser and the defense claims scott tazed slager using the direct contact method, and that even when scott fled again and was at a distance slager still feared the tazer could be used against him and he could have his gun taken.

(the tazer can be reloaded but i dont see any evidence that it was)

Although I was a bit surprised at the racial makeup of the jury, race had absolutely nothing to do with the mistrial, IMO. There were eleven white jurors, one African American juror. There were eleven jurors for guilty and one juror for not guilty. One can assume the one juror for "not guilty" was white since it's been said that the foreman was the one "African American" relating to the judge that the one lone "not guilty" had issues and needed to be removed.

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

Things would have been a lot different if the jury had been six whites and six African Americans. The jury would have been split on the murder charges and there would have been a good chance of agreeing to the manslaughter charges, instead of being unanimous against the murder charge and split on the manslaughter charges.

Defence lawyers spend a lot of money on jury consultants. They don't spend that much money because it won't pay off. A jury consultant got OJ Simpson off scot-free. With enough money to hire a good jury consultant, there is no crime you can't get away with.

I have reservations on the prosecution in this case - they went through the motions but ....

The next jury needs to reflect the demographics of the city - only then will there be the appearance of neutrality. Jmo.

so just to recap what you can read in the trial blog - slager tazed scott by firing the tazer, he then tried multiple more times to taze him while they struggled by using the "unloaded" tazer as a direct contact stun gun, and then he lost control of the taser and the defense claims scott tazed slager using the direct contact method, and that even when scott fled again and was at a distance slager still feared the tazer could be used against him and he could have his gun taken.

He definitely didn't have time to reload it. My source is just from working with LE Officers who use that model of taser.

It seems lame for him to say he ineffectively direct-tased Scott 6 times but believed Scott could effectively use the taser on him?

I want to find out if the taser can work with the prongs and then immediately as a direct taser. I'm not sure but I think if the prongs and wires are attached, it wouldn't be able to direct tase. I'll ask someone at work.

UBM - Come to think of it - where exactly is it stated that the defense claims Scott tased Slager?

I know that Slager had a burn mark on his shirt pocket (allegedly) but the lab could not recreate that mark - there was testimony about that. Is this what you are referring to?

What is missing is, burn marks on Slager from the taser. The daily blog does not reference testimony on the autopsy of Scott btw. There likely was testimony, but the blog does not cover it.

^yep - it was summarized in an article about the case that i cannot find now, they had two witnesses testify about the burn marks on the shirt and one of them was willing to go so far as to say that he could not think of any other way the shirt could have burn marks like that unless it was from the taser being directly applied. iirc the marks were incredibly small and had to be examined microscopically to determine anything.

Nonsense on the burn mark on Slager's shirt - and I only read one witness testify about that. I could have missed one though.

Slager had zero marks on him when all was said and done. Do you know how many shirts pockets/collars I have burned with an iron over the years? Many. The testimony from the lab was, the burn could not be recreated using a taser.

Jmo.

here you go, two witnesses, one says he cannot imagine any other object that could have the marks;

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2016...-uniform-burns-came-from-Taser/5611479815845/

"It burns in a certain way," biomedical scientist Mark Kroll, who has worked for the stun gun manufacturer, said on Monday. "It's not like a flamethrower; it's not like a cigarette lighter ... There's nothing I can think of ... that could have caused that damage besides the Taser electrical weapon being used against Slager's shirt."

The lab could not recreate the burn with a taser. I'll find that for you.

Didn't the prosecution claim the marks could have occurred during training?

LIVE BLOG / DAY 6:

5:15 p.m. The prosecution is now questioning SLED agent Charles Ghent.
"Did he ever tell you anything about him being tased by Mr. Scott?"

"He did not."

LIVE BLOG / DAY 11:

11:30 a.m. State Law Enforcement Division trace evidence examiner Megan Fletcher testified that she issued a report on burn marks found on Michael Slager's left uniform shirt pocket. It takes heat of about 480 degrees to melt the polyester shirt, she said.

"I was not able to rule out a Taser as a possible source of having created those melted fibers," Fletcher said. "I’m not aware of any other source that could create that kind of damage."

Fletcher said she couldn't rule out another source. But she also tested an iron, which didn't burn the shirt, and a flame, which burned the shirt but caused a color change.

Defense attorney Andy Savage suggested, flippantly, that a bizarre event could have damaged the shirt.

"There’s always a possibility that he was laying on the beach with a magnify glass?" Savage asked. "There’s always that potential of a meteor landing on the earth."

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/...cle_48ba1684-a10b-11e6-a639-a3b9a114da5f.html

"There’s always a possibility that he was laying on the beach with a magnify glass?" Savage asked. "There’s always that potential of a meteor landing on the earth."[/B]

Thanks for this post Woodland. RSBM

This **** right here angers me to NO end. Making a mockery of the legal system, acting like untouchable, sarcastic a-holes. Unbelievable that professionals would say things like this and expect to be taken seriously. What a joke.

just to be clear here, im not defending the argument, or saying i agree with it, im just discussing what they argued in court.

i have already made it very clear that i do not buy slager's explanations and claims.

Former South Carolina officer wants his Taser examined

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-01-26-13-57-34

In papers filed in court and provided to The Associated Press, attorneys for Michael Slager asked state prosecutors to send his Taser to a forensic examiner in Tempe, Arizona. A new examination, the attorneys argued, could clarify trial testimony about Taser use they feel was "inaccurate."

Former South Carolina officer wants his Taser examined

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-01-26-13-57-34

In papers filed in court and provided to The Associated Press, attorneys for Michael Slager asked state prosecutors to send his Taser to a forensic examiner in Tempe, Arizona. A new examination, the attorneys argued, could clarify trial testimony about Taser use they feel was "inaccurate."

They can examine it all they want but it's not going to change the fact that it couldn't have been used against him after he had already deployed it.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back