Dairy Queen manager is arrested after 'bullying worker, 17, until he killed himself':

I had a job on a construction site and the owner/manager was an abusive bully. Lucky for me I was old enough to know who I was and knew I didn't have to stand for it. So I quit and I explained why. The guy wanted to keep me on and said he would change. I knew better than that - if he reached middle age and hadn't learned how to conduct himself in a rational mannere, he wasn't going to change just for me.

I felt so relieved and good about myself for leaving that situation.

The other thing that I felt good about was that after I left everyone else quit, too!

Good for you, and IMO bullies are cowards who think they have the right to push people around. Usually when someone stands up to them they back off. Bullies suck.

It's a sad world when this type of scenario happens to young people. Society seems to be cultivating so much hate instead of love. I wonder why?
Teenagers have such a difficult time anyway, growing from childhood into adulthood.
Shame on the manager for being such a non example toward this young man as to what it means to conduct a fair workplace. I'm sure she had no way of knowing what would be such a horrible outcome of her actions, but she has to deal with taking the responsibility of those actions.

Its a sad world where this kids parents didn't stand up for him at every level. There is only so much a parent should allow a school or job to do as an effort to solve the problem.

Then it is time to act.

What would you be willing to do to prevent your kid from killing himself?

Would you take him out of the school and home school him?

Would you tell this manager in no uncertain terms that you will not allow your son to be harassed anymore?

Are you willing to do something that may land you in jail to protect your child's life?

Well..it seems this kid's parents failed him. Rather than protect him, they left it to others and now you see the result.

I am very sorry that Kenny took his own life because of a lifetime of bullying. I would never wish that on anyone. I just don't understand how a second-degree manslaughter charge would stick. How can you put someone away for 10 years just for being a mean person?
I agree, and if the manager is found not guilty (which seems a likely outcome) this does nothing to further the anti-bullying cause. This should be a civil case, not a criminal one, with the restaurant paying major bucks to the family. This will of course not bring the son back to his parents, but it may teach FF joints to better screen and then scrutinize the behavior of the managers they hire.

I too was bullied by a McDonalds' manager from 16 - 18. He was about 30 years old and a jerk to everyone, but he knew which kids most desperately needed the work due to their financial circumstances (I had no car and it was the only employer within walking distance) and he singled them out for the worst treatment - throwing in lots of verbal abuse and sexual harassment. But I did not have problems with kids in school or in any other aspect of my life (beyond being poor) so it would never have led to something like this for me. This manager here may have been the final straw, but I suspect the trial will show this was a more complex situation.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but why her? Because she was his manager, like a person with authority over him?

Dairy Queen manager is arrested after 'bullying worker, 17, until he killed himself': Teen committed suicide after she made him clean the floor by hand and threw a burger at him
(the Daily Mail article linked earlier)

Bullying seen as cause in the suicide of 17-year-old Kenneth Suttner
The Columbia Missourian (Columbia, MO)
1/31/2017

No matter how tragic and unnecessary his death was, he didn't kill himself because of "a bully." It was much more widespread than that and had been going on for years.

How can you single out one person to blame for what happened?

Maybe she was singled out due to what was written in his suicide note. I'd like to read them myself.

I had some bullies at work, but the people on a different level were at risk of losing their jobs so a co worker and I spoke up for them. The bullies won. Interesting to watch how power works.

I got a book on bullying at the workplace. Forget the name. Bullying on the workplace is illegal in many countries but not in the US.

In the book, it explained how often a group gangs up on someone. That is what happened in my workplace.

This affects adults as well. Too bad there are no laws in the US

I am very sorry that Kenny took his own life because of a lifetime of bullying. I would never wish that on anyone. I just don't understand how a second-degree manslaughter charge would stick. How can you put someone away for 10 years just for being a mean person?

I'm not sure about the "being a mean person" part, but she violated federal anti-harassment in the workplace law. I'm sure she can get time for that. I feel strongly that the prosecutors office must feel they can make the charges stick or they wouldn't have filed them. I'm wondering if there may be more charges filed.

Rest Peacefully Kenny. I'm so sorry this happened to you.

A person can be bullied only if they allow it.

This is assuming there is only one measure of human mental fortitude. Unfortunately, we would not have mental illness or suicide if we were all Vulcans. I imagine if Kenny had a zen upbringing, or access to therapy, he could have carried around an invisible shield to protect himself. That isn't what happened though.

It would seem Kenny wrote specifically about Harley in his suicide notes. It could also be that there is additional evidence to support a criminal charge. When I see comments like this on her Facebook, I am sure there is more than witness accounts to support her behavior being over the line.

https://www.facebook.com/harley.jensen.5/posts/10202942967251870?pnref=story

This is assuming there is only one measure of human mental fortitude. Unfortunately, we would not have mental illness or suicide if we were all Vulcans. I imagine if Kenny had a zen upbringing, or access to therapy, he could have carried around an invisible shield to protect himself. That isn't what happened though.

It would seem Kenny wrote specifically about Harley in his suicide notes. It could also be that there is additional evidence to support a criminal charge. When I see comments like this on her Facebook, I am sure there is more than witness accounts to support her behavior being over the line.

https://www.facebook.com/harley.jensen.5/posts/10202942967251870?pnref=story

If she caused him injury it is a Class E felony, if I remember. Missouri recently changed their laws. That is why she is being charged as she is.

Anybody catch the superintendent of his school say the investigation into his suicide was, "a crock of sh**?"

I'm not sure about the "being a mean person" part, but she violated federal anti-harassment in the workplace law. I'm sure she can get time for that. I feel strongly that the prosecutors office must feel they can make the charges stick or they wouldn't have filed them. I'm wondering if there may be more charges filed.
What law are you referring to? I'm not aware of any federal anti-bullying in the workplace statutes.

Prosecutors overcharge all the time, especially if they are actually looking for a jury to agree on a lesser charge or a plea bargain from the defendant.

Let me just say, that this teenage boy may have been in the kind of family where he needed to work, possibly was expected to work, in order to help to support the family and himself. Maybe he couldn't find another job, I'm sure if he could he would have to escape being tortured by this horrible person. But jobs aren't always easy to come by. Also, he apparently was used to being abused and bullied, maybe he really didn't know how to stand up for himself. Maybe he had never been taught that? If he was a person with a very passive type personality, and with low self esteem, chances are without some sort of guidance / training / teaching he wasn't going to do so. And at this point I'm inclined to believe he had a minimum of family support. I could be wrong.

That said, this woman was not only an adult, but a Manager, to this person who was not only still a boy, but who was an employee. She was supposed to guide, teach, train, supervise, and protect. She was not in the position to demean, to berate, to degrade, to humiliate, to abuse, to bully. Someone in her position should never be allowed to conduct themselves in such a horrific manner towards an employee, much less a minor. If nothing else, it's child abuse, IMO. And she should be required to answer to whatever the criminal charges are and pay the price.

Let me just say, that this teenage boy may have been in the kind of family where he needed to work, possibly was expected to work, in order to help to support the family and himself. Maybe he couldn't find another job, I'm sure if he could he would have to escape being tortured by this horrible person. But jobs aren't always easy to come by. Also, he apparently was used to being abused and bullied, maybe he really didn't know how to stand up for himself. Maybe he had never been taught that? If he was a person with a very passive type personality, and with low self esteem, chances are without some sort of guidance / training / teaching he wasn't going to do so. And at this point I'm inclined to believe he had a minimum of family support. I could be wrong.

That said, this woman was not only an adult, but a Manager, to this person who was not only still a boy, but who was an employee. She was supposed to guide, teach, train, supervise, and protect. She was not in the position to demean, to berate, to degrade, to humiliate, to abuse, to bully. Someone in her position should never be allowed to conduct themselves in such a horrific manner towards an employee, much less a minor. If nothing else, it's child abuse, IMO. And she should be required to answer to whatever the criminal charges are and pay the price.
Lived near Fayette for several years until just recently, and you're right: jobs can be difficult to come by in that area, especially if you're not even an adult. If you don't want to drive to Columbia, you're kind of out of luck.

His job was only part of his problem though. Even the Superintendent seems like he doesn't really care about this boy, nevermind the teachers and students that bullied him. In small towns like this, there's always one student that most people universally agree is ripe for being picked on, including the adults that are supposed to be protecting them. I saw it happen in my own small town (a few hundred miles from Fayette), and while I never joined in on the bullying, it's appalling to me to think back at the times certain faculty would poke fun at certain students. I can think of one teacher that would automatically send a student to the office just for kicks and giggles. No reason, no warning, he was a good kid too.

Sad, just sad that this kind of stuff has to happen.

Its a sad world where this kids parents didn't stand up for him at every level. There is only so much a parent should allow a school or job to do as an effort to solve the problem.

Then it is time to act.

Would you tell this manager in no uncertain terms that you will not allow your son to be harassed anymore?

Are you willing to do something that may land you in jail to protect your child's life?

Well..it seems this kid's parents failed him. Rather than protect him, they left it to others and now you see the result.

I was not aware of Kenneth's home life. And if that contributed to his decision to take his own life?
There is only so much we can do for our children under normal circumstances, and we have to equip them to at some stage be able to go out into society and become independent adults, and do things on their own that is our job as a parent. We can't protect our children from the harshness of life 24/7 unfortunately. In another year Kenneth would of been an adult and try and become independent.
If he was abused at home, then how would home schooling have benefited him?
The real world is a very difficult place to try and survive in, but everyone deserves support if they are going through difficulties. Were school counsellors approachable at his school? The young man needed help if abuse was an ongoing problem.

And sadly in my own experience teens are not always open about how they feel and parents don't usually find out the extent of their teenager's problems until it is too late.

What i do hear about often nowadays is how many kids suffer from depression and anxiety disorders, it's like an epedemic IMO.
I know a few young people including my youngest who is 23 with these problems. It's imperative to talk to our young people, communication and knowing they have someone to talk to helps. And reinforcing how much they are loved.

Any more background information about Harley Branham?

Then it is time to act.

Do you have a link that states his parents didnt ever stand up for him?

In many cases like this the child hides the abuse from their parents whether they are abused at school or at a job.

I think its rather judgmental and mean spirited to blame his parents when I haven't even seen anything substantiated about them being neglectful or bad parents. No parent can stop a suicide if the suicidal person is determined to take their life. They cant watch them every second of the day and often those contemplating suicide hide their thoughts very well from those they love. They could have done everything they could and he still could have committed suicide.

Even if they go to the school about the bullying often the school makes excuses and does nothing about it.

His parents aren't at fault for him committing suicide but the sadistic cruel so called Manager is.

IMO

Hard to see how being mean to someone equals manslaughter if that someone kills him or herself. And if he was also bullied in school, why is the manager the one being charged?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back