CO CO - Garfield Co, WhtMale 35-65, 789UMCO, skeletal in tent, Sep'04

I have not seen the second page of the notebook, just the cover and the first page that is addressed to 'Lib'.

Since there's been a bit of discussion about the possibility of him being from Australia, I messaged an admin from the Australian Missing Persons Register on Facebook last night to ask if they would share his case. I woke up today to see that his story has been viewed over 30,000 times! I'm very happy that his case is getting shared. Although I am still wondering how to go about getting him entered in NamUs. Do I need to contact the coroner?

Also--someone mentioned that in the notebook when he writes 'favor' or 'flavor', he does not spell it in the Australian way which is generally 'flavour' or 'favour'. I'm not sure if that had been mentioned before.

bbm

From the Namus FAQ page:

Who can create a missing persons case in NamUs?
Anyone can enter a case, after becoming a registered NamUs user. The case will be verified as an active missing persons case with law enforcement prior to information being published on the site. A National Crime Information Center (NCIC) number or law enforcement case number must be in place before the case is published on the NamUs site (both are preferred). The NCIC number is an official law enforcement tracking number for a missing persons report and can be obtained through a law enforcement agency. These steps are taken to ensure data quality as well as to prevent fraudulent use of the site.

How does one register to enter a missing persons case into the NamUs database?
You must submit a registration request following the registration link https://www.findthemissing.org/users/new_confirm, or by selecting the "Register" button on the left navigation bar of the www.findthemissing.org Web site.

There are more questions and answers on that page that might be helpful: https://www.findthemissing.org/en/homes/faq

Thank you for the links, but to my understanding, entering an unidentified person is a different process than entering a missing person. From the Unidentified Persons Database on NamUs, it states that "New records are added every day by medical examiners and coroners across the country, increasing the chances that these unidentified persons will be named. Registration is not necessary to search the database, but coroners and medical examiners are required to register in order to enter case information."

I assume that means that I would need to contact the medical examiner for the case to be entered. Can anyone confirm this?

Ah! I thought the process would be the same for unidentified persons. Sorry I couldn't help you.

Effy, you could contact CarlK90245; I know he's been involved with getting several cases on line.

I'm pretty sure the ME needs to be involved, though.

I'm a member on this sight but I don't comment often, I do a lot of searching though... I have 3 missing person who may be this John Doe! The 1st person is, Doe Network Case File# 1300DMNY Afif Sayegh an Australian citizen missing since Jan. 27, 1995 from NY...He would have been 30 yrs old if he passed in 1999, height 5'10", wore the same style glasses. Doe Network Case File# 4161DMTN Timothy Dale White, missing Sept. 15, 1999 from TN. 38 yrs.old 6' tall, wore wire rim glasses with unspecified medical condition, lived a transient lifestyle. The glasses on this man looks most like the ones on the John Doe site! Next and last, Doe Network Case File# 3786DMMT Scott Anthony Gilchrist, 35 yrs. old, 6'4''-6'5", missing since Oct. 22, 1999, The Charley Project site mentions he was living in Breckenridge, CO, also same type of wire frame glasses! I would have posted photos from the sites, but I don't know how... I also don't know how to follow through with this information, so if someone can take it from here I would be grateful. Also, anyone with thoughts regarding this info. would be great!!! I love what everyone does here, brings closer for so may families. <3

Seems the best bet would be the notebook at this point. With all the advances, I'm surprised there isn't some form of forensic scanning that can be used to detect faded writing. I know processes similar have been used on historical documents, so maybe it's a price issue? Would help to have scans of the rest of the pages as well.

That one bugs me, given the large amount of information going for it, and yet so far it's refused to be solved.

Does anyone know if an attempt was made to recover DNA from the remains? It recently helped solve the Lori Kennedy / Kimberly McLean case, it might be useful in identifying cousins or relatives via Ancestry / 23andme... forensic geneology. Worth a shot.

Fascinating case. I hope this one gets solved. You guys came up with a lot of good theories and possibilities. I like the idea of the top line saying "Dear Liberator", as suggested previously. Who knows, though. And good point about the spellings not being Australian spellings!

Very happy to have stumbled across a NamUs page for this man, he previously was not entered.

NamUs UP # 15487 https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/15487

His estimated age frame is listed as 45-65, and the probable year of death listed as 2003-2004.

Thomas Nickel (missing since 2002, California) is the only name on the rule-out list.

The page also includes higher quality pictures of the man's possessions, including the two other pages from the notebook that were not available prior.

If these have already been posted, please delete. Posted today on his face book page.

12065806_184645851875083_5718896732686681866_n.jpg

12190116_184645871875081_5535870322035657040_n.jpg

12190805_184645901875078_5529956108311973456_n.jpg

The most important clue the man left behind was a green spiral notebook bearing a heart with drawings inside the cover.
Unfortunately, the notebook had deteriorated since the man's death and CBI experts were only able to decipher fragments of the text.
The first page of the notebook is addressed to "Lib" and begins:
"I should write in case my situation here doesn't improve. This may be the end of my journey."
"Would like for you to claim the body . . . services or memoreal. Cremation."
The CBI found the next section illegible, although individual words such as "I", "thought" and "favor" or "flavor" could be made out.
On another page, more text could be discerned, although CBI analysts stated the writer's point is not clear. This sections reads:
"Third choice take them up in a glider (I promise not to get sick on you,"
The writing then becomes illegible.
Some common words - "this," "you" and "not" - are identifiable.
On yet another page, the writing apparently goes:
"ar on the . . . would you call her...d have it sent...you because I . . . want it to . . . where."
Analysts also interpreted a recovered fragment to read:
"be . . . er . . . my . . . s are going."

I was referring to the information about Scott in the article I posted, indicating he liked to hunt and fish in the mountains.

Yeah, I know about purchasing gear for a trip :) I hike too, though as our knees get older, we've been doing less hiking and more canoeing.

He did pack two extras: those electronic games.

BBM. OK, slightly old post and not to be off topic, but I noticed Scott reminded me of an Idaho UID. If Scott has a thread...let me know. I can't find either listed on websleuths, redirect me if so....

https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/5051

Probable date of death 2002
Gray hair-reddish highlights
70"
Age in his 50's.

Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 09.35.38.png

The only issue I see is Mr. Scott was "last seen" a month later...But the dates are really close in many ways.

If there is a post on either of these cases please let me know.

If these have already been posted, please delete. Posted today on his face book page.

View attachment 109750

View attachment 109751

View attachment 109752

The most important clue the man left behind was a green spiral notebook bearing a heart with drawings inside the cover.
Unfortunately, the notebook had deteriorated since the man's death and CBI experts were only able to decipher fragments of the text.
The first page of the notebook is addressed to "Lib" and begins:
"I should write in case my situation here doesn't improve. This may be the end of my journey."
"Would like for you to claim the body . . . services or memoreal. Cremation."
The CBI found the next section illegible, although individual words such as "I", "thought" and "favor" or "flavor" could be made out.
On another page, more text could be discerned, although CBI analysts stated the writer's point is not clear. This sections reads:
"Third choice take them up in a glider (I promise not to get sick on you,"
The writing then becomes illegible.
Some common words - "this," "you" and "not" - are identifiable.
On yet another page, the writing apparently goes:
"ar on the . . . would you call her...d have it sent...you because I . . . want it to . . . where."
Analysts also interpreted a recovered fragment to read:
"be . . . er . . . my . . . s are going."

As I've said before, I'd be interested to know just how they tested that notebook and the condition it's in now. There's AMAZING things one could do with it now. Scanning it in just the right way might turn up traces of ink or written info that we couldn't pick up before.

Just learned of this one today - I feel like it's so solvable!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My stab at a transcription of the UID's notebook:

Dear Lib, (You can faintly see Trr or something like that. It looks like Libra Trr or Libre Trr)

I should write in case my situation doesn't improve. This may be the end of my journey. I would love for you to claim the body ___ services or cremate... (the rest of the page is unintelligible)

Ehird Choive (That's what it looks like)... them up in a glider *Unintelligible* (I promise not to get sick over you) this (tiay?)

The rest of the page is unintelligible even though words like "he" and "you" are intelligible.

Final page:

Far on the...
would you...
have it sent...
you because I
want it to...
where...

The rest is unintelligible.

They've added several facial reconstructions on his NamUs page, providing different angles and characteristics such as facial hair and glasses.
Unidentified Person Case
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail

The last page to me looks like, from the pictures on NamUs:

? for letters I have no idea on, [] for letters gathered from context,

?ar on the???.
Would you call her [a]nd have it sent to you because I [want] it to
Where

To me, it seems it seem like the UID left some kind of item with another woman (other than Lib), and wants Lib to have it in the event of his death. It seems like he'd saying something like "Would you call her and have it sent to you because I want it to go where it would be appreciates" or "where it belongs" or something.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldDustyBooks
Back