Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #27

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deugirtni - just wanted to say, that is one hell of a catch on the shoe size.

I don't believe the defense caught that at all, or they definitely would have thrown it out there for the jury to ponder.

Very astute observation.

So the defense is basically admitting that the bodies were at the farm. hmmmm.....so what's the connection between some other person killing them at their house and then the bodies found at DG's farm?

It sounds like he's hedging his bets. Wants the jury to believe they were dead at the house (hedging against first degree) and that someone else killed them, but somehow they ended up dead at his farm. Is he going to say their bodies were planted there?? By who? Allen?? By his elderly father? By his sister?

This made me feel a bit sick. Using JO's words after she saw what she saw. I know they're just doing their job but it's a bit cold and insensitive IMO.

Obviously schmoozing the jury is not a defence tactic,

Deugirtni - just wanted to say, that is one hell of a catch on the shoe size.

I don't believe the defense caught that at all, or they definitely would have thrown it out there for the jury to ponder.

Very astute observation.

There was no different shoe size. It was an optical illusion caused by the angle of the photograph. There was nothing to catch.

What one calls grasping at straws..... gives absolutely no-one any credit for even a modicum of intellect. I doubt there's a single juror who would find any of Ross' utterances persuasive. He really has absolutely nothing. I have seen far more astute arguments on these threads from my fellow sleuthers. He should be embarrassed. Shame faced.

Well so far it's pretty much what could be expected with the evidence that does exist against his client. And of course if someone goes to the extent to plan and prepare for something like this that DG did there will be very little direct evidence. It's the planning and preparation that IS the evidence. Along with a few unforeseen things that he wasn't able to clean up.

Guilty on all three counts.

MOO

I hate this "devil's advocate" stuff but at least Garland can't argue ineffective counsel.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/02/13/douglas-garland-trial_n_14730598.html Published half an hour ago...... A quick read through this will help us all keep our bearings

One snippet from the article quoting Shane Parker: "You can rightly conclude all three are deceased. In fact only fragments were found, not whole bodies ... Garland did not want you to have the information the corpses would have provided.''

Did we ever get to see the video evidence of the figure walking back and forth from the Liknes residence?

What one calls grasping at straws..... gives absolutely no-one any credit for even a modicum of intellect. I doubt there's a single juror who would find any of Ross' utterances persuasive. He really has absolutely nothing. I have seen far more astute arguments on these threads from my fellow sleuthers. He should be embarrassed. Shame faced.

I think Ross has been pretty clever in his strategy. If I was a triple murderer, I'd hire him. What if he manages to convince one hold out of "reasonable doubt"? MOO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think in cases like this one, where the defendant has high intelligence, he may feed some ideas to his attorney.

Lucas MeyerVerified account ‏@meyer_lucas 40s40 seconds ago
#Garland trial about to resume with rest of defence's closing argument by lawyer Kim Ross. #yyc

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 53s53 seconds ago Jury back for the final minutes of defence lawyer Kim Ross's closing argument in Douglas #Garland triple-murder trial.

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 35s35 seconds ago
Ross talking about injuries of #Garland, how his mother didn't notice any on her son.

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 36s36 seconds ago
Resuming #Garland trial

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 1m1 minute ago
Jury back in. #Garland

I think Ross has been pretty clever in his strategy. If I was a triple murderer, I'd hire him. What if he manages to convince one hold out of "reasonable doubt"? MOO

Would you be won over by any of that? The jury have seen more than we have. I think it's an insult to average intelligence.

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 36s36 seconds ago
Ross says it wasn't just #Garland mom who noticed no marks on her son, but also receptionist at his doc office. #yyc

Bryan LabbyVerified account ‏@CBCBryan 1m1 minute ago
Defence now continuing. #Garland

I don't find it clever at all. And I think using Jennifer O'Brien to undermine first degree was a big tactical error. One juror may have doubts but the other jurors will ask them if those doubts are reasonable based on the judge's coming instructions.

Bryan LabbyVerified account ‏@CBCBryan 36s36 seconds ago
Ross says there is no evidence of domination or restraint of the victims #Garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 37s37 seconds ago
Although restraints found at #Garland farm, Ross says there are no evidence of dominance or restraining victims. #yyc

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 1m1 minute ago
Ross: receptionist at his Monday regular appointment also didn't see any marks or injuries on #Garland morning of June 30, 2014.

cause seeing this photo there is no right shoeprint so we could not see the difference in size between them
Were there no right footprints at all? Maybe he had those shoe covers on and lost one or both at some point.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 22s23 seconds ago
"our system of law presumes that the man sitting there..is innocent until the crown proves beyond a reasonable doubt" #Garland #yyc

Bryan LabbyVerified account ‏@CBCBryan 30s31 seconds ago
Ross again says there is no forensic evidence that Garland was inside the Liknes home, and did not cause the deaths. #Garland

Lucas MeyerVerified account ‏@meyer_lucas 33s34 seconds ago
Parker said the Crown lawyers are excellent, but they cannot prove #Garland was in that home and caused the deaths. #yyc

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 36s37 seconds ago
No matter how much hard the Crown has worked, "they cannot forensically or scientifically put" #Garland at the Liknes home.

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 39s40 seconds ago
Ross to jury Douglas #Garland did not cause the deaths of Alvin & Kathy Liknes or Nathan O'Brien

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname