Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #28

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will we find out eventually where he is housed forever?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would they keep him in Alberta or BC if he has a negative history in both provinces? Or would they choose somewhere neutral...Sk/Ont?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Would they keep him in Alberta or BC if he has a negative history in both provinces? Or would they choose somewhere neutral...Sk/Ont?

I think he'll go wherever there is space and appropriate facilities

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I think he'll go wherever there is space and appropriate facilities

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

And as his defence team mentioned, he has nobody who he has contact with so it's not like visits from friends or family would be a consideration.

We have Bernardo. Please keep him [emoji30]

That's what I'm thinking, too. It's like other cases I've followed here, for example Sherri Papini...you follow the story from day one only to get to the end of the book and the last page is ripped out. There are no real answers, no conclusion wrapped up neat and tidy. Nothing he would have said would have brought Nathan, Kathy, and Alvin back but maybe it would help a little with dealing with what happened and moving on from here.

Sherri Papini case makes me crazy

We have Bernardo. Please keep him [emoji30]

He may end up with Bernardo. Russell Williams is there too. I think Michael Rafferty as well. It's the perfect place for DG (I can't bring myself to even write his name). I think this particular Pen was outfitted with a special section for the likes of these "special cases".

I just hope that at some point, when he least expects it, a guard inadvertently turns his back and DG gets what's so deserving.

He is evil. He deserves to go where evil goes and I'll leave it at that.

Not sure why, but I think the victim impact statements, have sent me in a new direction of rage tonight.

It's scary to think of all those vile all together. Blah. The stories the guards must have.

It's scary to think of all those vile all together. Blah. The stories the guards must have.

I get to service those vile inmates regularly at my place of work. I can promise that if Dougie ever walked in here needing our attention, I'd have a hell of a time remaining professional and not saying something wildly inappropriate.

Until today at least?

Nancy Hixt ‏@NancyHixt 6h6 hours ago
Next is Allen Liknes -Alvin's brother -breaks down, "i just thank God his family turned him in" #Garland

=============
Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 6h6 hours ago
Allen begins by thanking the court, says he thanks God #Garland family turned him in. "I have nothing more to say"

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 6h6 hours ago
Allen Liknes, Alvin's brother, will now read his victim impact statement #Garland #yyc

I thought Allen was son of Alvin (brother-in-law of DG)? Unless Alvin's twin brother has the same name as Alvin's son?

He may end up with Bernardo. Russell Williams is there too. I think Michael Rafferty as well. It's the perfect place for DG (I can't bring myself to even write his name). I think this particular Pen was outfitted with a special section for the likes of these "special cases".

I just hope that at some point, when he least expects it, a guard inadvertently turns his back and DG gets what's so deserving.

He is evil. He deserves to go where evil goes and I'll leave it at that.

Not sure why, but I think the victim impact statements, have sent me in a new direction of rage tonight.

Somehow I think he would get a thrill out of being in the same place as Bernardo. although it may have just been the gore of bernardo's crimes he was interested in and not the killer himself.

It is sad. Emotions running high, a camera stuck in the family's face....not totally surprising.
The family in their statement already said they weren't happy with some actions of the media. This is not surprising. They overstep a lot of the time I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

I've finally had a chance to read through the posts from earlier today.

I have nothing new or profound to say, but I want to post something for my own "therapeutic" reasons. I need to vent.

1) First, I am so dang mad at the defence for picking away at the victims' impact statements. :maddening: How dare they take what little control and input the victims' family members have in this horrific case. They should be ashamed. And to think that DG was given an opportunity to read them....that's just pouring salt on the raw wounds.

2) The defence statement that DG was all alone now is laughable. Of course he is all alone now. His poor family is devastated. They pleaded with him to confess, but, no, he didn't care for anyone; not the victims, not the victims' family and not his own family. Why would he expect NOT to be alone. Isn't that what he likes?

3) Per Justice Gates, neither the defense or DG offered any expression of remorse.(Let alone emotion by DG.) My sympathy is hard to come by here. And yet later Gates thanks the lawyers - both sides. I'm not thinking the defense should be thanked based on their behaviour today.

4) I'm going to wake up tomorrow morning. I presume (and hope!) that my spouse and my sons will be there, smiling and joking with me. My sons are young adults now. I had the most wonderful opportunity to watch them grow up. The O'Briens have had that stolen from them. I wish them strength and love. I will never forget them. I will never forget Luke. I will never forget Nancy and her son. I will never forget DG's parents (and sister) who have to live with the understanding of the horror their son has wreaked.

5) This is Family Day weekend in a number of Canadian provinces. Hug your loved ones. I sure will.

Hugs to all.

I thought Allen was son of Alvin (brother-in-law of DG)? Unless Alvin's twin brother has the same name as Alvin's son?

Yes, both are Allen. At one time it was very common to have a same First name of family members in each generation, not so much any more.

Now that's even more confusing! Thanks!

I should rephrase that. At one time it was very common to have a first name that was the same for ONE family member of each generation, not so much any more.

Which Allen is this? Looks like neither the son of Alvin nor Alvin himself (unless they are fraternal twins?).

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 1h1 hour ago
Kim Ross "we don't have all the info yet that we have to look at" before deciding whether to appeal in this case #Garland

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 1h1 hour ago
Kim Ross: "it's been a long process" of #Garland trial "there's no winners here on either side"

And this:

Kim Ross, Garland's lawyer, says the sentence was not a surprise and that he spoke to his client on Friday afternoon.

"It wasn't totally unexpected. I think we anticipated that this might be the result but, like I said, we want to take some time and review it and, you know, just digest the whole process," he said. "I went down and I spoke with him briefly and, as I said, I don't think there’s anything that wasn’t anticipated so, as I said, we're going to take some time and I'll, we'll speak to him some time in the future."

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/douglas-garland-sentenced-to-life-with-no-parole-for-75-years-1.3289738

"I went down and I spoke with him briefly and, as I said, I don't think there’s anything that wasn’t anticipated so, as I said, we're going to take some time and I'll, we'll speak to him some time in the future."

I'm interested to know what his client said. For more than 2 years we have yet to hear a single word he has said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2