GUILTY UK - Helen Bailey, 51, Royston, 11 April 2016 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Putting up Tara's tweet as she has been our brilliant contact with the case

Tara Cox‏@TaraCoxCN 2m2 minutes ago

BREAKING: Ian Stewart will serve at least 34 years in prison for the murder of Helen Bailey before he is eligible for parole

I hope IS doesn't top himself. I'd be quite pleased at him suffering in jail for as long as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In prison, and the sort he will be going to, I doubt he'll make 70!

I hope he makes it to 90 and has a thoroughly miserable time rotting away in his cell, he doesnt deserve an easy way out....

Judge Bright's Sentencing

Ian Stewart sentencing set to begin after Storm Doris caused delay
Killer Ian Stewart, who murdered Royston author Helen Bailey, will now face sentencing as court proceedings now begin.

11:08
Ian Stewart will not appear to face sentencing
Some of the jurors are now coming into the courtroom. Ian Stewart has chosen not to appear in person, or via video link for his sentence, so will be sentenced by Judge Andrew Bright in his absence.

11:11
Judge Bright is now start his sentencing
Ian Stewart, you’ve been convicted after a trial of murdering your fiance Helen Bailey who was excitedly making arrangements for your wedding while you were planning how to kill her, hide her body, and explain her disappearance.

You brought her life to a cruel end'
She was so devoted to her dog Boris that you decided you must also kill him. Helen was only 51 and at the height of her success as a writer when you brought her life to a cruel end and dumped her body in a foul smelling cesspit for her body to decompose.

Too drowzy to fight you off'
In a few hours of her murder you used your knowledge of her financial affairs and your compute expertise to change a standing order. You planned her murder will in advance and secretly administered zopiclone tablets to her so you could smother her when she was too drowsy to fight you off.

Judge Bright - 'You persisted in callous lie'
You then set about attempting to deceive the police and Helen’s family and friends that she had left you a note, needed some space and did not want you to contact her. You persisted in that callous lie for three months, repeating it to anyone and everyone. You knew Helen to be a wealthy woman but were not content to share her wealth.

11:17
It's life - minimum 30 years
Judge Bright: “The sentence for murder is fixed by law and is for life imprisonment. That is the sentence I impact upon you, but I also must consider the minimum term before you are released on licence.
“I am of the opinion that you serve a real danger for woman you form a relationship with. When you serve the minimum term, it will be down to others to decide whether to release you.
“The seriousness of the offence is not so high as to justify a whole life order.
“However, the appropriate starting term for a minimum term is 30 years.”

You went to considerable lengths to conceal the bodies of Helen and her dog in the hope they would eventually decompose"
Judge Bright “There are two aggravating features in this case which increase the seriousness of your offence. The significant degree of planning, and the fact you went to considerable lengths to conceal the bodies of Helen and her dog in the hope they would eventually decompose and never be found You also deceived Helen’s family and friends by a calculated and callous series of lies, they had to deal with the misery of not knowing her whereabouts or her fate.
“I have read the impact statement of Helen’s brother John, in which he sets out the effect the cruel murder of his sister has had on him and his family. “His family all feel an immense outrage. As John observes, the world has lost a gifted author and the family will have to live for the rest of their lives with the deep sense of loss.”

11:20
Stewart handed minimum jail term of 34 years - he will be 90 before eligible for parole
Judge Bright: “Whilst we will never know whether you had an additional motive for killing a woman who loved you and wanted to be your wife, this is a murder for gain with aggravating features which make it difficult to think of a more heinous crime.
“I sentence you to a minimum term of 34 years. I acknowledge you will be 90 years of age before you become eligible for parole, but I am not inclined to reduce the minimum term in light of your age

Sentences for other crimes handed out
Judge Bright: “The sentence I pass for the other offences you were convicted of will run concurrently with the sentence of life imprisonment. Count 2 (fraud) - 18 months Count 3 (preventing a lawful burial) - three years Counts 4 (perverting the course of justice) - two years Count 5 (perverting the course of justice) - two years Count 6 (perverting the course of justice) - two years.

11:25
Judge Bright commends police
Judge Bright: “Before I leave I would like to commend four police officers. The inquiry was treated as a missing persons enquiry They carried out searches of an early stage, and one of the things they searched was the cesspit in the garden which they believed to be the only one in the house.
“The search of the house and grounds was extremely thorough, the most thorough and extensive investigation I’ve ever experienced in a missing person’s enquiry Four days before the defendant was arrested he was treated as a suspect, and on July 11 he was arrested and allowed to go free on bail while further searches were carried out. It was only after those searches on July 15 that Helen’s body was found The officers that deserve to be commended for their relentless efforts to try and find Helen Bailey are: SIO DC Jerome Kent, David Sharpe, DC Jo-Anne Kerr, DC Wendy Tomlinson.”
“I also commend Charles White, the CPS reviewing lawyer for this case, he has devoted himself tirelessly to this case from the beginning.”

11:27
Stewart's sentencing now over
Judge handed Stewart a life sentence and he must serve a minimum of 34 years.

[FONT=&amp]11:25KEY EVENT[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Judge Bright commends police

Judge Bright: “Before I leave I would like to commend four police officers. The inquiry was treated as a missing persons enquiry They carried out searches of an early stage, and one of the things they searched was the cesspit in the garden which they believed to be the only one in the house.
“The search of the house and grounds was extremely thorough, the most thorough and extensive investigation I’ve ever experienced in a missing person’s enquiry Four days before the defendant was arrested he was treated as a suspect, and on July 11 he was arrested and allowed to go free on bail while further searches were carried out. It was only after those searches on July 15 that Helen’s body was found The officers that deserve to be commended for their relentless efforts to try and find Helen Bailey are: SIO DC Jerome Kent, David Sharpe, DC Jo-Anne Kerr, DC Wendy Tomlinson.
“These commendations ought to go on the officers’ record.”
[/FONT]

But the heartbreaking thing is that they didn't appear to search the garage early enough. True they took the sniffer/cadaver dog into the room above but wouldn't you think they might at least have checked out underneath the vehicles? Hindsight - always 20/20 vision I know.

That's it . Short and effective. he's not wasting another breath on IS. Sent to oblivion where he belongs.

Instead he commends those officers from MITeam and ( the CPS Chief Pros whose interview we watched earlier and who also echoed everything we've ever said on WS.)

Thanking them will really P off IS.

Did he mention lack of remorse? Small detail but so important for family to know everything has been said and recorded.

Thanks for all your updates throughout Alyce :loveyou:

This is being mentioned in the preview for the Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2 - starts at noon

Just wondering now he has been found guilty and sentenced would the RSPCA be able to bring a case against him for the cruel death of Boris.

Hopefully he'll top himself before.

“I sentence you to a minimum term of 34 years. I acknowledge you will be 90 years of age before you become eligible for parole, but I am not inclined to reduce the minimum term in light of your age.”

I don't think he laid it on thick enough. Needed far more about his wickedness and abuse of Helen.

Just wondering now he has been found guilty and sentenced would the RSPCA be able to bring a case against him for the cruel death of Boris.

We talked about this earlier and I think agreed that it would not be in the public interest (IS is already sentenced to effectively whole life) and would be a waste of RSPCA funds.

Did he mention lack of remorse? Small detail but so important for family to know everything has been said and recorded.

I hope it's somewhere in the full sentencing remarks - I can't see anything in the sections we got, only a mention of JBs impact statement and the outrage Helen's family feel.

Right lads, get his head down a filthy toilet pan and start flushing.

Have to wonder what was going on in Bedford prison during the sentencing - would other inmates be able to follow this and call the news out to IS ?

I hope IS doesn't top himself. I'd be quite pleased at him suffering in jail for as long as possible.

I hope he hangs himself or the other crims will do it for him. Why should we pay to keep him fed, TV, bloody bowls etc inside for 34 years.

I hope he hangs himself or the other crims will do it for him. Why should we pay to keep him fed, TV, bloody bowls etc inside for 34 years.

Yeah well suppose there is that.... dying is an easy way out though. No suffering then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member