UK UK - Corrie McKeague, 23, Bury St Edmunds, 24 September 2016 #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Popping back in to say "wtf" at the latest news. Something smells off though. I thought I read somewhere that the weight recorded can reset at 100kg which would explain the shift from (perhaps) 110kg to 11kg?

I fear Occam's Razor is striking again:
C can't leave HS unseen by CCTV
Unless in a vehicle
There's a bin lorry
C ends up in it (method of entry unknown currently with numerous possibilities)
C ends up at landfill

Am furious that this is how it's turned out. I'm pretty sure the possibility was thrown out on this very forum early in the case.

Sometimes the simplest answer is the correct one.

If someone messed up, heads should roll.

I'm angry. God only knows how C's family & friends feel :mad:

Personally I dont think this story is going to have an ending any time soon. There are so many unanswered questions

I'm not sure the machine/scales were wrong here? Biffa admin/accounts were asked to provide weight details which they wouldn't normally do (charge per collection rather than weight) and miscalculated/misinterpreted the data somehow? Otherwise the over 100KG could also be wrong.

I agree all this should have been figured out a lot sooner, though.

If they didn't normally need the weights to charge the customers we really need to know if they were recorded somewhere anyway, this is possible IMO simply because it would happen automatically every time a bin was emptied. In fact as far as I can think this must be the case or surely it would have been said from the start that weight data wasn't collected.

So office admin person looks up on the computer for the date and the location of the pick up (I'm assuming here that this might be what happens) and reads off the weight. What happened then? Did they get the wromg date, the wrong location or do they see "over 100" but tell the police "less than 15". And, if you are that person would you not during the past 5 months gone back and double checked "just in case"?

I think Biffa have a lot to answer for

JMO

I'm not sure the machine/scales were wrong here? Biffa admin/accounts were asked to provide weight details which they wouldn't normally do (charge per collection rather than weight) and miscalculated/misinterpreted the data somehow? Otherwise the over 100KG could also be wrong.

I agree all this should have been figured out a lot sooner, though.
I remember that Biffa told the family that it was an average weight for that bin and that it was checked against previous weights. They also told the family that a body couldn't be missed in the recycling process as it goes on a conveyor belt and is checked by hand. IIRC they also met that bin lorry driver.

maybe forensics checked the wrong lorry.....if they got the weights wrong, then they may have got more wrong...
SP didn't get the weights wrong, they took a long time finding out that Biffa got the weights wrong. Maybe SP didn't check the correct bin lorry and had to take Biffas word which lorry it was, or maybe SP didn't know the reg number of the truck from cctv but apparently other constabularies have reviewed their procedures so what they have done must be ok. Perhaps Biffa should be doing the whole investigation as they seem to be running the show?

After what we've heard today can we be confident that the CORRECT bin was forensically tested.
Call me a pessimist but I'm beginning to have my doubts now.

I'm not even confident that SP have been looking for the right person , what a total farse, weight wrong and no forensics..... Foul play or SP are woeful...

well looks likely he will be found this month, thats something

awful job for those officers though

It would only ping whilst the battery was still charged. He had made a long call to his Brother the previous night plus I think it was an old phone so probably died during the early hours of the morning.
It apparently pinged around BSE then moved to ping BM around 04.30 then disconnected around 08.00 due to battery failure or damage.

Was 8am not the last ping?

This is what we have been told but most everything has turned out wrong so far. The question is what time the bin lorry left the BM mast area? We have been told that the bin lorry made just the one pickup in Mildenhall at Sainsbury's (around 05:00?) then on to it's final destination. Did it stay in the BM mast area for 3 hours or is all the info below from the Find Corrie website now wrong?

The Bin Lorry. The bin Lorry collected 1 bin. Recycling waste. The lorry had cameras on it, but they are for viewing only, not recording. The bin it collected was weighed when it was lifted into the back, showing only 11kg of material was in it (Corrie is around 85Kg). It then drove to its next pick up in Mildenhall, then on to the recycling centre. It did pass by Fiveways roundabout at Barton Mills, but we know for certain that it did not stop at any point on its journey from BSE to the next pick up or its final destination.
The waste is emptied out of the vehicle and then a supervised sortation process occurs. We are told that it is possible that a phone might pass through this process and be destroyed or disposed of in landfill, but we are told that a body would have been found at this point. It was decided that the amount of effort involved to search the landfill was not worth the potential return of what by then would be a physically contaminated and probably smashed phone. This is why the landfill was never searched. It is too late to search it now as there are tens of tonnes of refuse on top of the area where the phone may (or may not) be.
This does mean that from an investigation perspective, the phone is still considered as being outstanding. So please do keep on the look out for a black Nokia Lumia, it was in a black case at the time.
The phone pinged the micro-mast at Barton Mills. This only means that it was within Broadcast range of the mast. Due to time proximity, it does seem most likely that the phone was in the Bin lorry, but that is not certain. It could have been in another vehicle and possibly on an entirely different road – See mast broadcast radius below

http://www.findcorrie.co.uk/left-in-a-vehicle-20th-november-update/

suzyjackson said:
If they didn't normally need the weights to charge the customers we really need to know if they were recorded somewhere anyway, this is possible IMO simply because it would happen automatically every time a bin was emptied. In fact as far as I can think this must be the case or surely it would have been said from the start that weight data wasn't collected.

So office admin person looks up on the computer for the date and the location of the pick up (I'm assuming here that this might be what happens) and reads off the weight. What happened then? Did they get the wromg date, the wrong location or do they see "over 100" but tell the police "less than 15". And, if you are that person would you not during the past 5 months gone back and double checked "just in case"?

I think Biffa have a lot to answer for

JMO

When you put it like it makes me wonder....SP have clearly accepted it was a genuine mistake but surely the family will demand to be physically shown exactly how it occurred?

one of the saddest things is that his entire life, has been put on display, scrutinised, his families motives and ideas have been ruthlessly questioned, all that, and its most likely he was in the bins all along. heartbreaking stuff. Had the weights been properly checked to begin with, all this could have been avoided, and there's still a baby to be born soon.

I would think that would be helpful Dave. Any thoughts why forensics gave up no trace of C in the lorry? Or why he was not found at other stages?

I posted my thoughts on forensics somewhere earlier on probably another thread that has since been closed down in order to open a new thread, but in essence the Police in the UK now suffer from a major shortage of detectives - you have detectives working on 20 cases simultaneously, which has lead to lots of them resigning.

In this scenario you end up with a situation where you need fast results, and in simplistic terms, since everyone believes DNA is the be all and end all - if DNA is present = guilty ; if DNA is not present = not guilty.

But as we all know, an absence of evidence is NOT evidence of absense, and with this there still may be more than meets the eye, ironically because of the lack of DNA, but in terms of finding people guilty - especially where Low Copy Number DNA is involved - it needs to be scrapped mucho pronto.

LCN DNA "analyses" DNA fragments that are 1 millionth the size of a grain of salt by "amplifying" it - in other words, as you speak or even breathe you are churning out amounts of DNA that are thousands, tens of thousands, or depending on how long you're in one particular spot maybe millions of times that amount of DNA just through your breath.

If you were to breathe on a table, I touch it, I put my hand in my pocket and take out a coin, it goes in a till and contaminates all of the other coins in there, they are taken by lots of other people all over the country, someone else touches one, then touches a light switch, someone else touches it while wearing gloves, opens a door, goes into a room and kills someone - and your DNA is there, even though you weren't.

It is that easily transferable - which is why a 15 year old boy from Newcastle was the prime suspect in a major IRA bombing in Ireland - even though he'd never left England.

On top of that is that the "amplified" DNA profile is not an accurate representation of the actual DNA, but has to be "interpreted" which involves a subjective interpretation of it, which in other words means it's open to lots of Human error - in other words it has more in line with witchcraft or reading chicken bones than science.

Anyway, off the DNA soapbox, onto the checklist of why the readings from machines should NOT be trusted.

My interest in the bin truck weight was because a) I worked in electronics and the measurement of signals, and b) I used to work with a guy who went on to work for the company who made the load cells for bin trucks - they were called PM on Board, who were eventually bought out by Vishay, and the guy I knew who worked for them - went to prison for fraud.

So, perhaps my initial thoughts were influenced a bit, but from my own knowledge and experience of electronic measurement systems:

1) The system MUST be calibrated ACCURATELY to give a meaningful reading.
2) If it isn't calibrated accurately, then the reading is meaningless.
3) If the calibration has been deliberately altered (eg fraud) then the reading is meaningless.
4) If the calibration has wandered through temperature, vibration (to parts of the circuit), etc - the reading is meaningless.
5) The system has to be working properly.
6) If the system has any kind of fault, then the measurement is meaningless.
7) Even if the system tests okay later, it may have an intermittent fault - a dry joint on a resistor for example, depending on the temperature and exactly when the test is done - could give a positive result (ie working) when it may not have been working at some other time.
8) Even if the load cell (the weight measurement device) is calibrated, and the system at this point is functioning correctly, the recording system / interface could still be faulty and/or not recording accurately.
9) The data has to be taken from the truck to some other permanent recording device.
10) If done electronically it could be incorrect.
11) If done manually it could be recorded incorrectly (by accident).
12) If done manually it could be recorded incorrectly (deliberately).
13) The wrong data for the wrong truck could be given to the Police accidentally.
14) The wrong data for the wrong truck could be given to the Police deliberately.
15) Data from the wrong date could be provided.
16) etc

You have all of the possible system problems, then all of the interface system errors possible, then the human errors possible, all of this just with taking the initial data.

Then you have all of the possible system problems, then all of the interface system errors possible, then the human errors possible, with the recording of the data.

Then you have all of the possible system problems, then all of the interface system errors possible, then the human errors possible, with recovering the data for the Police.

Then you have all of the possible system problems, then all of the interface system errors possible, then the human errors possible, with the transfer/handling of the data by the Police.

And that's just Human error - not including deliberately misleading them with wrong data, truck details, etc, etc, etc.

Multiply it up and it's a nightmare, but the one thing I learned in my time in electronics was - never believe 1 reading, take another and another, and another and test and test and test again.

If what you're seeing is not consistent with the readings - the readings are WRONG.

As in this case.

PS - if you work in some form of management at a waste collection company - let's face it - you KNOW if you charge by weight or by collection, since you will be charged by the landfill by weight of what you dump there - <modsnip>

so he was actually deceased for the entire journey....he in fact died in HS one way or another

So what your saying is DNA is nonsense and should never be used?

Bowled over and very saddened by this latest news. Can't believe after all these discussions, comments and digging deep into Corrie's personal life we were relying on an untruth all along.

Reminds me of the Terrilynn Monette case.

This is currently the top banner headline on the DM site

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4290764/Man-held-Corrie-McKeague-hunt-faces-no-action.html

"Corrie McKeague's father searches landfill site for his missing son's body as his mother reveals new evidence that he may have been CRUSHED to death after crawling into a wheelie bin to sleep"

BBM - this isn't what I'd imagined at all, you don't crawl into a bin do you? I assumed you would need to lift the lid and somehow hoist yourself in while trying to stop the lid falling back down and hitting you while you are part way in, is that right?

This is currently the top banner headline on the DM site

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4290764/Man-held-Corrie-McKeague-hunt-faces-no-action.html

"Corrie McKeague's father searches landfill site for his missing son's body as his mother reveals new evidence that he may have been CRUSHED to death after crawling into a wheelie bin to sleep"

BBM - this isn't what I'd imagined at all, you don't crawl into a bin do you? I assumed you would need to lift the lid and somehow hoist yourself in while trying to stop the lid falling back down and hitting you while you are part way in, is that right?

Yep not easy to do, I would rather go to my parked car just round the corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz