MD MD - Joann 'Jody' LeCornu, 23, Towson, 2 March 1996

How awful to lose Jody in such a cruel manner and then have to go through all of this to try and get justice for her.

Have you contacted the political representatives for the area, Jenny? If you could get one of those on your side (the higher profile the better), then the police department might suddenly become a bit more co-operative...

If you listen to the radio show interview linked in Tricias OP, the Youtube vid. Jenny has done, to no avail. She got a generic letter back..

If you listen to the radio show interview linked in Tricias OP, the Youtube vid. Jenny has done, to no avail. She got a generic letter back..

I haven't had time to listen to it yet, but I will. Thanks for replying. :)

Would it help if lots of people wrote too, or emailed these politicians? Or maybe we could start a petition?

My daughter is a current student at Towson University. Please let us know if there's anything she can do.
This is so scary and sad.

I have two scenarios, that to me, fits what we know.

Scenario 1: Drug pickup gone bad. Jody struggled with drugs at an earlier point but was supposedly clean at this point. However, we also know that this might not have been a particularly high point for her. At the very least, she wasn't having a good night. She closed down the bar and wasn't getting along with her boyfriend, and by the looks of the ashtray in the car, she'd possibly been chain-smoking. This happened sometime around 3-4am. The bars were closed. She's sitting in her car making calls. One is to the bartender. My thought was she was going to relapse. She was in bad condition that night and was possibly seeking drugs. Late night phone calls could mean tracking down the right person and maybe she finally did. I also read in one of the articles that she may have stopped at an ATM before she parked. If that was true, my guess is she was looking to buy, making calls to see what she could get. Man shows up, there's a conversation, she has a change of heart. She probably tells herself it was a knee-jerk reaction. Maybe she's sobering up now. Maybe the man at her window scares her. She tells him she's not buying. He accepts this for long enough for her to start to leave and him to start walking away. She's inconvenienced him and she has the money and in the spur of the moment, he decides to kill her. When he follows the car and reaches in, he takes the cash.

That's theory 1. I'll post the 2nd later because my internet is acting up.

Scenario 2: Jody had made several calls that night. It was after 2, so what types of people would she call? One of two I know she made was to a married man she was rumored to have been seeing on the side. This person also doesn't have a very good reputation in town and his wife's car matches the description of the vehicle seen. Jody was told not to come over by her boyfriend. She's lonely and drunk and starts making calls, turning to others for comfort. She calls this man (Don't know if he was an ex, a fling, or if it's even true), he sees the danger in the situation. A girl is calling in the middle of the night. Surely the wife heard the call. If Jody is going down a destructive path, the secret could come out. Maybe she even said something that scared him. He asks to meet. The rest is history. This doesn't answer the question of what was taken from the car though. I'm leaning toward this theory due to the phone calls, the time of night, and it describes a motive.

The inability/lack of interest in the Baltimore County Police Dept is very disturbing, espeically when the much more experienced Baltimore Police Dept. has volunteered to assist.

Apart from incompetence or negligence, i only can fathom one reason for this case not being worked properly and solved: the person seen on the video and suspected of the crime was a paid informant for the Baltimore County Police Dept. making cases. Exposure of this would be very embarrassing and would bring a lot of convictions into risk of reversal.

The inability/lack of interest in the Baltimore County Police Dept is very disturbing, espeically when the much more experienced Baltimore Police Dept. has volunteered to assist.

Apart from incompetence or negligence, i only can fathom one reason for this case not being worked properly and solved: the person seen on the video and suspected of the crime was a paid informant for the Baltimore County Police Dept. making cases. Exposure of this would be very embarrassing and would bring a lot of convictions into risk of reversal.

This was my first gut reaction, too. I am really not big in to conspiracy theories. I usually think there is a simple explanation for most mysteries. But this just feels like the police are not just failing to act but are actually pushing off Jenny and her families efforts.

Hi Jenny,

First, I'm really sorry for what happened to your sister and that you haven't gotten closure on this. I read up on this and did some research and came up with two conclusions that made sense to me and fit the scene. Please let me know if either of these are impossible for one reason or another, or even if it's not your belief that I'm in the right territory here.

I have two scenarios, that to me, fits what we know.

Scenario 1: Drug pickup gone bad. Jody struggled with drugs at an earlier point but was supposedly clean at this point. However, we also know that this might not have been a particularly high point for her. At the very least, she wasn't having a good night. She closed down the bar and wasn't getting along with her boyfriend, and by the looks of the ashtray in the car, she'd possibly been chain-smoking. This happened sometime around 3-4am. The bars were closed. She's sitting in her car making calls. One is to the bartender. My thought was she was going to relapse. She was in bad condition that night and was possibly seeking drugs. Late night phone calls could mean tracking down the right person and maybe she finally did. I also read in one of the articles that she may have stopped at an ATM before she parked. If that was true, my guess is she was looking to buy, making calls to see what she could get. Man shows up, there's a conversation, she has a change of heart. She probably tells herself it was a knee-jerk reaction. Maybe she's sobering up now. Maybe the man at her window scares her. She tells him she's not buying. He accepts this for long enough for her to start to leave and him to start walking away. She's inconvenienced him and she has the money and in the spur of the moment, he decides to kill her. When he follows the car and reaches in, he takes the cash.

Scenario 2: Jody had made several calls that night. It was after 2, so what types of people would she call? One of two I know she made was to a married man she was rumored to have been seeing on the side. This person also doesn't have a very good reputation in town and his wife's car matches the description of the vehicle seen. Jody was told not to come over by her boyfriend. She's lonely and drunk and starts making calls, turning to others for comfort. She calls this man (Don't know if he was an ex, a fling, or if it's even true), he sees the danger in the situation. A girl is calling in the middle of the night. Surely the wife heard the call. If Jody is going down a destructive path, the secret could come out. Maybe she even said something that scared him. He asks to meet. The rest is history. This doesn't answer the question of what was taken from the car though. I'm leaning toward this theory due to the phone calls, the time of night, and it describes a motive.

I like your scenario #1 - sounds like she was making phone calls; maybe since her boyfriend said don't come home, she was trying to find a place to sleep? If the ATM withdrawal is correct, then yes, she might have slipped into buying drugs, and then changed her mind, and drug dealer "knew" she had $$ for it, and just shot her and took...

:dunno:

:rose: RIP JODY :rose:

Baltimore gangs like The Murdaland Mafia Piru, which is a set of the Bloods, charge a membership fee to even be in the gang. They're prominent in Baltimore as well as Black Guerilla Family.

It's possible she owed someone money and they came to collect but she was also looking to buy. I'd be curious to know what her fight with her boyfriend was about. Possibly drug-related. Maybe she needed his help. She needed money. It seems like the kind of thing he may not want to be involved with, which could have prompted him to tell her not to come back. It seems as if she was at the bar and then at the parking lot after because she had nowhere else to go. That would lead me to believe she had very little money. She may not have been buying. She may have been trying to settle what she already owed. Phone calls in the middle of the night could have been desperate attempts to get money. I read in another place that she stopped at an ATM before she parked and bought a six pack of beer. My personal opinion is she was in deep and someone came to collect but she didn't have what she owed. She may have even suspected her life was in danger. I think that would explain her behavior.

Thinking ... if this was not a random murder by some crazed lunatic, the only thing that makes sense would seem to be that her killer was one of the people she had called while sitting in that parking lot. How else would they know she was there? She must have told them and asked them to come and meet her there. Or perhaps she didn't ask them to come but mentioned where she's parked. Were phone records pulled and all the people she called questioned? If my theory is correct (that she had called him earlier) it shouldn't be difficult to identify the individual?

I grew up *in* Towson -- Rodgers Forge, for anyone else local on this thread -- and so I know every location mentioned in these articles and interviews like the back of my hand. I was a teenager there when this crime happened & I feel almost ashamed I've never heard of it before. What a tragedy -- and I'm so sorry to hear about the mistreatment that this family has received from the county police.

It doesn't surprise me that the police have so much to work with. York Road is a major road in that area & the Caldor parking lot (it's no longer a Caldor, the last I recall it was an renovated into an an office space though there was still a drug store next door and quite a few other businesses near by) is across the street from a major shopping plaza with a busy grocery store & restaurants, etc where you'd expect there to be security. That said, this is Towson (a suburb) and not Miami -- so security or not, that area would be pretty dead at that time of night, I'm guessing.

I'll see if I can find out anything additional about the crime that hasn't already been posted, though it seems like the real issue here is lack of... I hesitate to bash the police without knowing what's up on their end, but an apparent lack of commitment to get things moving.

One thing that I'm sure has been considered, but for other WS members who may not know the area. If the shooter turned right out of *Caldor* lot, then he headed deeper into Towson. If I'm misunderstanding things and he turned right out of the Giant parking lot, then he was headed back into the city. That really is almost exactly where the county/city line is. Direction might be an indication of where he was based, so to speak?

Also, in 1996, we had an enormous blizzard in Maryland. I don't recall if it was as late as March -- I seem to remember it was earlier, but it buried the city in feet of snow. (Not a normal thing in MD at all; guaranteed to cause fights over milk & bread & toilet paper & parking spots.) We weren't shoveled out completely for weeks, it caused havoc. If that was around the same time, perhaps something extremely pressing was happening in Jody's life to cause her to brave that weather?

Just some thoughts. I will keep the family in my prayers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A good review and exposure for Jody's case.

[video=youtube;6jZyI3im51s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jZyI3im51s&t=647s[/video]

Here is my thoughts.

First look at the crime scene before considering any of the allegations about calls, boyfriend, drugs etc. that the police did release.

1) Vehicle approached by an individual.
2) That individual had a gun and was prepared to use it. That inference can be drawn from the fact that she was shot as she started to drive away and the assailant was still next to the vehicle. His exact location at the time of the shot is unclear because we do not know if he was right or left handed. In either case the shot was fired in the time that she put the car in drive and started to move. Likely one or two seconds. That indicates that the assailant was prepared to use deadly force to prevent her from leaving, rather or not the gun was drawn before or after she started to shift the transmission.
3) The angle of the shot indicates that the shot was likely not aimed. The proximity of the shooter would be difficult to aim at that angle and if the shooter was aiming the choice to shoot at the angle and direction does not make sense because if the vehicle is moving away a flatter trajectory would make more sense.
4) Due to the trajectory it appears that the shot was accidental or at least premature due to poor choice of trajectory.
5) The accidental firing is supported by the fact that only one shot was fired. If the shooter intended to shoot her they would have fire more shots as she drove away. It is unlikely that they knew rather or not she had been hit after the first shot and it would have been impossible for the shooter to know if it was a fatal shot. If the shooter intended to kill her he would have fired more shots while she was still close by and taken better aim or at the least immediately gotten in their car and pursued them to finish the job. They would not want a witness.
6) If it was a robbery by a known assailant would have immediately pursued to determine her condition or if she was going to report the crime.
7) If it was an unknown assailant that she would not be able to identify they would have fled the scene. A robber does not want to get mixed up with an attempted murder charge, no matter what they were stealing. I can't imagine any robber thinking she had enough money to steal that it would be enough to stick around after the shot was fired and people's attention were drawn to the scene.
8) The shooter clearly had great interest in determining rather or not she was hit because they risked being identified in order to remain there and observe the consequences of the shot.
9) The most reasonable conclusion, based on their watching her leave and then pursuing her only after after her vehicle stopped across the street indicates that the shooter was determining rather or not to pursue her depending on rather or not she had been hit. They were not concerned about her fleeing the scene nor immediately perusing her. Their thought would have been 1) if she was hit she would not get far or 2) if she was not hit they would either be able to find her even if they lost sight of the vehicle or if she was not hit there would be no repercussions. That indicates the shooter either knew that she would not report the incident, did not have concerns about law enforcement if she did report it or had access to a way of finding her if she fled.
10) Then there is the fact that after the vehicle stopped the shooter put her vehicle into park. The vehicle had already stopped. A thief would have just taken what they wanted and left as quickly as possible. They would have no reason to put the vehicle in park. That means that either the shooter intended to kill her or expected that he may be there for some time and wanted to make it safe for himself. Since his earlier actions do not indicate an intentional murder that means he made the conscious choice take the time to asses her condition and decide what to do.
11) After deciding that she was dead or at least mortally wounded he then took the some item, likely the purse. Why the purse if it is already determined that his intent was not simply to rob her. So the taking of the purse was for some other purpose. I suggest it was to make it look like a robbery.
12) There were no fingerprints to match profiles on file. If the prints have been re-run recently without a match makes it more likely than not that the shooter did not leave any usable prints. This again indicates a fairly high level of sophistication, to either not leave any prints or to remove them.

To me all of this points to the shooter being a Law Enforcement Officer. They are a person that would have a reason to approach a vehicle sitting in a parking lot and would have been armed with a hand gun. The position the shot was fired is where a LEO would stand when talking to someone in a running vehicle. The shooter appeared to have little concern about her reporting him and did not act like someone committing an armed robber on a stranger. If she was intoxicated and attempting to flee he would be justified in pulling his gun and discharging his gun may have also been allowed if she was arguably a fleeing felon or an imminent risk to others. I suspect that it was a accidental discharge as he drew his gun and he watched to get her license number so he could locate her later. When her vehicle stopped he than went over to asses the situation. They would have been trained to secure the vehicle after it stopped and before proceeding to asses the situation. It appears that he stole the purse to stage the scene as a robbery. What would be most helpful is the security footage of the assailant approaching the vehicle. My experience is that LEOs approaching an unknown vehicle invariably touch the trunk hood to leave a fingerprint. In this situation the LEO would know this and would have wiped the area to remove the fingerprint. If the police released the video it could be determined if the assailant touched the rear of the vehicle as he approached and/or wiped the rear of the vehicle before leaving the area. Either of those wold indicate a LEO. Even if the video did not capture those acts, determining if the rear of the vehicle had been wiped clean. If the left rear of the vehicle was cleaner than the rest that would indicate a LEO.

The fact that no video has been released, the photo of her car is cropped so you can not see left rear rear of trunk but have talked about her personal problems, indicates to me that the investigators have seen those tells and are suppressing the video as it indicates a LEO in the incident and are trying to point suspicion in other directions..

Why does just about every case now have to turn into serial killers or cop conspiracies?

First look at the crime scene before considering any of the allegations about calls, boyfriend, drugs etc. that the police did release.
We did. It shows all the signs of a drug deal gone bad. Less than zero signs of her being killed by a cop.

A robber does not want to get mixed up with an attempted murder charge, no matter what they were stealing.
Wow. You haven't read about many cases, have you?

The fact that no video has been released, the photo of her car is cropped so you can not see left rear rear of trunk but have talked about her personal problems,
They mention her personal problems because those problems can be linked to how the crime played out.

The shooter appeared to have little concern about her reporting him
Earlier you said he was willing to use deadly force to prevent her from identifying him but a few paragraphs later say the exact opposite.

Even her sister has said she was likely meeting someone yet here you are posting a cop conspiracy...unfortunately that's something that is becoming way too frequent on crime sites.

I grew up in Balto Co and now just work minutes from where she was found. I was much younger when this occurred but can't believe I have never heard of this case!

Jenny, I am sorry that you have gone through all this!

We're there any press releases from BCPD? Have they given any excuse as to why this case has remained unsolved when it seems like there are a lot of leads to go on? Have you contacted The Sun to see if they would be willing to have maybe a journalist look into it? Maybe with media attention could add pressure of the PD.

Sorry if any of this information was discussed in the radio intereview or video...I have no yet had a chance to listen to them.

This case definitely has my attenion!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back