UK UK - Lindsay Rimer, 13, Hebden Bridge, Yorks, 7 Nov 1994

missacorah

Reaction score
I came across this case today while reading a magazine and was really surprised I hadnt heard of the case before now.

Lindsay was a 13 year old girl who lived in Hebden Bridge, Yorkshire in England with her parents, her older brother and a recently born younger sister whom Lindsay had initially been jealous of.

The evening she disappeared Lindsays mum had gone out for a drink to a nearby club and at 10.10pm Lindsay had arrived at the club asking her mum for some money to go to the local store to but some cereal for next days breakfast otherwise there would be none. Her mum gave her £1.20 and asked if she wanted to stay for a coke but Lindsay declined and went on her way.

When Lindsays mum got home shortly after there was no sign of Lindsay so she presumed she had got home and went to bed.They didnt check.
the next morning Lindsays boss phoned to say she hadnt arrived for work (she had a paper round) and the police were called.there was CCTV showing Lindsay arriving at the store and buying some cornflakes at 10.20pm but nothing afterwards.

5 months later on 12 april 1995 Lindsays body was discovered in Rochdale Canal, weighted down. She had been strangled. the watch she was wearing had stopped at 11pm. There was no sign of a sexual assault. The body was placed in a hard to find place suggesting the killer had knowledge of the area.

http://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/section-item.asp?sid=54&iid=985 an update from 2004 saying what the police are doing to catch her killer.

http://www.hebdenbridge.co.uk/features/lindsay-rimer.html a page dedicated to Lindsays case.

http://www.free-webspace.biz/thevictims/rimer_lindsay.html memorial to Lindsay.

What I cant understand is that in some of the reports it says that at the time of the murder Lindsay was living in a caravan with her Dad and brother at the time of the murder yet in the recent article i read today it says Lindsays mum returned home and the father said he hadnt seen Lindsay or the cornflakes. Puzzling! There is a photo of the caravan on one of the links above.

Lindsay Rimer death: Sister speaks on murder anniversary

The sister of a murdered schoolgirl has spoken publicly for the first time since the discovery of the teenager's body 20 years ago.

Lindsay Rimer, 13, was found in the Rochdale Canal five months after she disappeared in Hebden Bridge in November 1994.

Despite extensive police inquiries, her killer has never been found.

Kate Rimer said not knowing what happened to her little sister had been a "life sentence" for their family.

Fresh DNA clue to murder of Lindsay Jo 22 years on

A DNA breakthrough has given police fresh hope of solving the 21-year mystery of a schoolgirl’s senseless murder.

Lindsay Jo Rimer was aged 13 when she vanished on the way home from a local shop. Her body was found five months later in a nearby canal and a post-mortem examination revealed she had been strangled.
As police revealed significant developments in the case, her mother and sister have spoken about the family’s never-ending agony and the hope that the teenager’s killer could yet be caught.

West Yorkshire Police have sent new DNA evidence to Canada to be analysed using the latest scientific techniques.

A DNA breakthrough has given police fresh hope of solving the 21-year mystery of a schoolgirl’s senseless murder.

Lindsay Jo Rimer was aged 13 when she vanished on the way home from a local shop. Her body was found five months later in a nearby canal and a post-mortem examination revealed she had been strangled.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-schoolgirl-vanished-went-buy-cornflakes.html

An arrest! Presumably due to the new DNA results.

The suspect is a 63 year old man from Bradford.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-37914713

This is one I've always been interested in because it's local to me, but come on - a body in a canal for 5 months, no sexual assault - and they're trying to use "DNA evidence" for a breakthrough.

It's poppycock.

LCN DNA is fantasy, not science, and in a canal it's going to be contaminated to hell.

This is another the Police should have done far better with, but even now umpteen years later they still are no closer to having any kind of clue what happened to her, or who did it.

She was apprently weighed down with a huge rock - well huge rocks are not things you find on the street, but there are loads of dry stone walls and old mills around here which a big rock might have come from.

So maybe releasing pictures of the big rock, or indeed of the carpet she was wrapped in might yield some clues - before anyone who might have some answers are either dead or have gone senile and forgotten.

What possible benefit can withholding the details of a rock or a carpet have in a cold case with no leads, no suspects, and no hope of being solved while they keep it all quiet?

22 to 23 years later and the muppets are still hiding anything that might give them a lead to catch who did this to her, and are instead "using a techonological breakthrough in DNA"

I've got some old chicken bones if they'd like to call in a witch doctor as well.

There might have been some blood staining on the carpet or something, which doesn't match Lindsay's DNA. This information hasn't been made public, so we simply have no basis to say whether the "DNA breakthrough" is 'poppycock' or not.

There might have been some blood staining on the carpet or something, which doesn't match Lindsay's DNA. This information hasn't been made public, so we simply have no basis to say whether the "DNA breakthrough" is 'poppycock' or not.

Well it hasn't lead to her killer being caught so it looks like poppycock to me.

Irrespective of that, the carpet is real, and the rock is real, so maybe showing those real things might illicit some clues, rather than trying for imaginery "scientific" breakthroughs.

I imagine that if this was a person on a canal barge who killed her then they'd have moved about a lot, so in the intervening 23+ years might have killed a lot more people.

Maybe that's why the Police want to keep it close to their chests.

To avoid criticism.

Well it hasn't lead to her killer being caught so it looks like poppycock to me.

Irrespective of that, the carpet is real, and the rock is real, so maybe showing those real things might illicit some clues, rather than trying for imaginery "scientific" breakthroughs.

I imagine that if this was a person on a canal barge who killed her then they'd have moved about a lot, so in the intervening 23+ years might have killed a lot more people.

Maybe that's why the Police want to keep it close to their chests.

To avoid criticism.

It is very common for police forces to keep details out of the public domain, in order to strengthen the chances of conviction if/when they charge someone. The police will have taken advise from the CPS on this, and with respect, I think their opinion is of more value than anyone else's.

It is very common for police forces to keep details out of the public domain, in order to strengthen the chances of conviction if/when they charge someone. The police will have taken advise from the CPS on this, and with respect, I think their opinion is of more value than anyone else's.

Its 23 years later - doubtful that holding back "clues" to aid in a conviction is going to help - if they haven't caught them by now they aren't likely to - but then again what might help is showing things that might jog peoples memories before they shuffle off this mortal coil.

The reason that the way LR has been handled agitates me is that this happened not far from where I live, a friend of mine who was a special constable at the time was draughted in to help man the phone lines, and it's another case of the Police not thinking - at all - a bit like with Corrie McKeague.

Pissing about with "DNA" evidence, or a lack of it, when someone might recognise the carpet, or the rock, and who they belonged to if they'd only show some bloody photos of them.

Big rocks aren't easily found, for example, it might have come from some locals garden, and the carpet might fit a specific room in a specific house if someone remembers it and who it belonged to.

But hey, keep it all secret so that in another 23 years from now - maybe someone might be convicted if there's some "scientific breakthrough" - of course, they'll have to exume them first, before they can punish them.

And all the while that poor girl lies cold in the ground, and her family have no peace.

Its 23 years later - doubtful that holding back "clues" to aid in a conviction is going to help - if they haven't caught them by now they aren't likely to - but then again what might help is showing things that might jog peoples memories before they shuffle off this mortal coil.

The reason that the way LR has been handled agitates me is that this happened not far from where I live, a friend of mine who was a special constable at the time was draughted in to help man the phone lines, and it's another case of the Police not thinking - at all - a bit like with Corrie McKeague.

Pissing about with "DNA" evidence, or a lack of it, when someone might recognise the carpet, or the rock, and who they belonged to if they'd only show some bloody photos of them.

Big rocks aren't easily found, for example, it might have come from some locals garden, and the carpet might fit a specific room in a specific house if someone remembers it and who it belonged to.

But hey, keep it all secret so that in another 23 years from now - maybe someone might be convicted if there's some "scientific breakthrough" - of course, they'll have to exume them first, before they can punish them.

And all the while that poor girl lies cold in the ground, and her family have no peace.

Its no good finding the person who did it, if you risk being able to secure a conviction. The police routinely have contact with the CPS on these sort of cases, so they have very likely been advised on what they should share with the public.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back