IL - Luke Miller, 15, beaten up at school, dies, Champaign, March 2017

My brother was bullied for a while in high school...kids can be so cruel. They would trip him, steal stuff from his book bag and throw it into toilets, and a ton of other things. I probably shouldn't admit this, since I don't condone violence in school, but I saw one of the guys starting in on my brother in the hallway one day and I lost it. Grabbed him by the throat and jacked him into a locker, I was so angry. The funniest part was that there was a football game that night and I was a cheerleader, so I had my cheerleading uniform on when I did it. The tables were turned on the bully when his friends saw him getting beat up by a girl. He left my brother alone after that. My heart breaks to think of anyone who has to go through that at school without having someone there to stand up for them.

Local area to me as well.

Local TV news talked of internal injuries. They also said his parents took him to the hospital Saturday morning due to illness and they transferred him to St Louis.

So sad!

My brother was bullied for a while in high school...kids can be so cruel. They would trip him, steal stuff from his book bag and throw it into toilets, and a ton of other things. I probably shouldn't admit this, since I don't condone violence in school, but I saw one of the guys starting in on my brother in the hallway one day and I lost it. Grabbed him by the throat and jacked him into a locker, I was so angry. The funniest part was that there was a football game that night and I was a cheerleader, so I had my cheerleading uniform on when I did it. The tables were turned on the bully when his friends saw him getting beat up by a girl. He left my brother alone after that. My heart breaks to think of anyone who has to go through that at school without having someone there to stand up for them.
I've heard of bullies backing down when someone stands up to them. I used to slap and pinch one boy in elementary school when he kept touching or grabbing me, but that didn't seem to phase him. I'm so glad that the bullies in my elementary school didn't go to the same high school I went to because it probably would've gotten worse. Since my HS was a top college prep school, most of the bullies (who were also goof-offs) were weeded out by Sr High. So, the worst problem in HS was on my bus.

Oh, there was a neighbor who went to the same HS and rode the same bus who had mental problems. I was her only friend and so she would take things out on me (her mother admitted this). One time she punched me in the back when she was angry with me for, really, no reason. My mother was furious because I'd had back surgery only a few years earlier. I think it was at that time we weren't on speaking terms, and then one day while walking to the bus after school I saw a textbook in the snow. When I picked up the book and looked at the name inside the front cover, I saw that it belonged to my neighbor. My first instinct was to put the book back down and let someone else find it, but I knew the girl was well-known and very unpopular at school, so there was a good chance the book wouldn't be returned to the girl. I knew if I lost a book (and I once did and was very grateful to the classmate who found it and returned it to me), I would want someone to return it to me intact. So, when I boarded the bus I quickly handed the book to the girl. She was extremely grateful and changed her attitude toward me. Although I didn't want to be friends with her any more, we did become friends again.

I hope someone at Luke's school knows who was bullying him and can provide some crucial information to LE. Luke sounds like he was not only very talented, he was also a very well-mannered, compassionate, and well-liked teen. May justice for Luke be swift!

Sometimes standing up against a bully is all it takes. By senior year, my brother and the main bully were actually on friendly terms. Not best friends, but at least there were no more fights in the hallway. Kids can single someone out for the oddest reasons...I do hope Luke's school helps police get to the bottom of this quickly and without trying to deny that bullying can be a problem.

Concussions come with symptoms though - certainly a concussion capable of being your cause of death in a few days is obvious, in my experience. They're not invisible. They cause severe headaches and bizarre behavior and loss of balance. Severe ones.

Yes. I am aware of other symptoms of concussion as I've had a few in my life. Your statement was that head injuries would be visible. Concussions are not. We have no information on how he was acting or if he was acting differently than his normal behavior.

Another local here. I will post more later today...I am in a hurry now. Our community is hurting. This tragedy has affected many of our schools and several of our children. Archery is a big deal for the kids here and they are not only a team, but a family. It's been a rough week and it isn't over yet. Luke's services are coming up in the next few days...so I'm sure getting through those will be quite difficult. We will get through this and our community will be stronger because of it! Stop bullying! #livelikeluke

Yes. I am aware of other symptoms of concussion as I've had a few in my life. Your statement was that head injuries would be visible. Concussions are not. We have no information on how he was acting or if he was acting differently than his normal behavior.

By visible, I mean "noticeable". As in, they wouldn't go undetected by a parent observing a child.

To me, that's what visible means. As "visible" as grief is, or drunkenness. There are no cuts or bruises, with grief or drunkenness, but you can see it clearly when you observe the person.

I am withholding judgment until autopsy results are released. If Luke was beaten on Friday, and was noted to be ill enough to be rushed to hospital Saturday morning and then airlifted to another due to the seriousness of his condition, I find it reasonable to think that his death may have been the result of injuries sustained in that beating.

I am also very aware that it is entirely possible that his death has nothing to do with an alleged beating that took place on Friday and may have been due to some unidentified illness or ailment.

OBITUARY

CHAMPAIGN – Luke Miller, 15, of Champaign went to be with the Lord in the early morning hours on Saturday (March 11, 2017) at Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis.

He was born on May 6, 2001, in Urbana, the son of Ryan and Heather (Cupps) Miller. He is survived by his parents, grandparents Larry and Susan Miller of Mattoon and Beth and Bill Cupps of Champaign; Uncle and Aunt Marc and Debbie Miller of Haslett, Mich., and Brad and Laurel Allen of Springfield, Ill., along with his beloved cousins Lilly and Logan Allen.

Luke was a sophomore at Champaign Centennial High School and was a member of the Charger archery team and the golf team, and was awarded an academic letter in fall 2016. As a second-year member of the Charger Archery program, he helped the team win countless tournaments as well as winning many individual medals based upon his personal scores.

He was one of the top male shooters in the State of Illinois with a 291 average in 2017 out of 300 points and excelled in the sport not only as an athlete, but as a teammate and demonstrated excellent sportsmanship.

In 2016, at the National NASP Archery Tournament in Louisville, Ky., he placed in the top 1 percent of shooters with a 293 out of 300 points, making him the No. 55 shooter out of nearly 13,000 total participants.

As a member of the Charger Golf team, he was newer to the sport, but was continually improving and encouraged his friends to join so the team could grow and continue to remain competitive.

He was also a talented budding artist and participated in many art classes at Centennial. He recently had his art displayed at a juried show at the Illini Union Art Gallery.

Luke also began working with the Urbana Park District Urban Planning Department in the summer of 2016 where he was learning about park management and natural resources, which he was interested in as a potential career.

Luke was an active member of the All School 4-H Club where he was president, vice president and treasurer during his eight years in 4-H. He won many awards including grand champion ribbons in photography, geology, art and sportfishing, along with state superior ribbons at the Illinois State Fair. He was instrumental in mentoring younger 4-H'ers in their projects and encouraging them to get involved in other 4-H activities.

He was a member of the First United Methodist Church in downtown Champaign and active in the youth choir, youth group and sang frequently with the Perceptions worship group.

In his younger years, he played Little League baseball for the American and Champaign East Little Leagues. He was often the tall lefty at first base, and when pitching, had a curveball that left many batters stumped and umpires would comment on.

He threw one game in his last year as a suited-level player with 14 strikeouts and hit a stand-up triple in the same game. He also played for the Jefferson Middle School baseball team his eighth-grade year.

While at Jefferson Middle School, he was a member of the Science Olympiad Team for three years, inducted into the National Junior Honor Society, on the honor roll, and part of the standout Jaguar Archery Team.

In Luke's eighth-grade year, he was a member of the top-shooting "Gold Team" where he was awarded a medal as the Illinois Middle School State Male Champion with a score of 280/300 points and participated at the National and World tournaments as well as a Jaguar.

Luke had a passion and a zest for life and did nothing at less than 100 percent. He was often called an "old soul" by many because of his maturity and compassion for others.

He loved fishing for hours at subdivision ponds, photography, geology, Cardinals baseball, golfing and spending time with his family and friends.

He loved helping others with anything they needed - someone to talk to during a tough time, help with a homework assignment, learning how to fish, teaching others archery tips, giving a timely hug, or knowing what to say to make someone laugh when they needed it.

Luke's smile was infectious, jokes legendary, and he had enough fishing equipment that would rival a sporting goods store. He had a big personality and will be missed dearly by so many whom he touched.

Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Thursday, March 16, at Morgan Memorial Home, 1304 Regency Drive West, Savoy.

Celebration of life will be at 10 a.m. Friday 17 at the First United Methodist Church in downtown Champaign.

Burial will be in Mount Olive Cemetery, Mayview.

Memorials may be made to the Centennial High School Archery Team or an organization of the donor's choosing.

Condolences may be made at www.morganmemorialhome.com.

Friends, family to gather to remember Luke Miller

Luke's parents took him to Carle Foundation Hospital on Saturday after he began "vomiting blood." Luke was airlifted to Barnes Hospital in St. Louis.

By visible, I mean "noticeable". As in, they wouldn't go undetected by a parent observing a child.

To me, that's what visible means. As "visible" as grief is, or drunkenness. There are no cuts or bruises, with grief or drunkenness, but you can see it clearly when you observe the person.

*sigh* I can only respond to what you say, not what you mean.

Plus, he's a teen and parents don't closely monitor teens because they're pretty self sustaining at that age.However, considering it allegedly happened Friday and he was taken to hospital on Saturday, so I'd think they DID notice something eh?

It's very hard for me to believe the beating was the actual cause of Luke's death, if no one noticed anything in the days after the beating. Suicide maybe?

I know you can have a brain injury that can cause a death if you slightly reinjure your brain before it's healed, but you would notice a person's head injury.
Not always. He also could have had internal bleeding from a vital organ. This is absolutely heartbreaking.

He may have gone to great lengths to conceal how he was feeling from his parents. If he had been getting picked on at school maybe he thought it would only get worse if his parents knew about it.

The situation is tragic no matter how you look at it.

An only child. Actively involved in archery and fishing. Apparently not involved in high-risk activities or groups. And some little punk, wannabe ****s decided to beat him up. Wow. Something is so wrong with this whole thing when we are repeatedly seeing and hearing about bullying leading to death and suicide. I just have two questions: 1) At what age can a teenager be tried as an adult in IL? 2) Did the beating take place during school hours? If so, where were the adults?

*sigh* I can only respond to what you say, not what you mean.

Plus, he's a teen and parents don't closely monitor teens because they're pretty self sustaining at that age.However, considering it allegedly happened Friday and he was taken to hospital on Saturday, so I'd think they DID notice something eh?

Tawny, this is really getting old. I won't respond again about the meaning of the word "visible", but I used it correctly. I'm not quite sure why you're nitpicking this to death. Definition 2, "apparent, obvious, manifest".

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/visible

I haven't seen where the incident took place Friday - maybe I've missed it - I've only seen "earlier in the week".

And I'm curious that the initial autopsy wasn't conclusive - it would seem a TBI or internal bleeding of a vital organ would be easy to diagnose. It's possible that this sweet boy was bullied and beaten up, and that he died of something else. We'll have to wait and see. At any rate, a real loss.

An only child. Actively involved in archery and fishing. Apparently not involved in high-risk activities or groups. And some little punk, wannabe ****s decided to beat him up. Wow. Something is so wrong with this whole thing when we are repeatedly seeing and hearing about bullying leading to death and suicide. I just have two questions: 1) At what age can a teenager be tried as an adult in IL? 2) Did the beating take place during school hours? If so, where were the adults?

I agree the little punk who did this to Luke should be tried as an adult.

And - I also agree about this bullying and physical abuse leading to death and suicide - I am sick of hearing about it too because my heart breaks every time I hear about someone being a victim of said bullying.

IMHO none of that sort of behavior should be in schools, public or private, it hinders the academic learning process, it hinders a positive learning environment, it helps absolutely no one. Not the bullies, not the victims, not the teachers, not the administrators.

And there should also be free resources for bullied kids, to speak to an adult for advice and comfort, when they are being bullied, mentally or physically or both. I'd be more than happy to see my tax dollars go for this kind of service. I am not talking about in-school guidance counselors (don't know if they have those anymore), I am talking about outside the school system. There needs to be some sort of safety net for these bullied students.

So sorry Luke wish I could hug and comfort you RIP

Hmm. In the comments on the New Gazette's facebook page under the article (sorry, I don't know how to post a specific facebook discussion, just the website) I'm strongly sensing a racially divisive component to this story.

https://www.facebook.com/newsgazette/

What is a Unit 4 school in Champaign? Any locals here who can give an actual clear definition? All the answers I find on the web sound like someone is talking with their mouth full of marbles- can't understand a thing they're saying.

What is a Unit 4 school in Champaign? Any locals here who can give an actual clear definition? All the answers I find on the web sound like someone is talking with their mouth full of marbles- can't understand a thing they're saying.

Champaign, Savoy, Bondville (and maybe another small town or 2) make up the Unit 4 School District. A Unit 4 school would be a school in that district. Jefferson Middle School and Centennial High School are both Unit 4 schools...Luke attended these schools so they have been mentioned in news articles.

This is a really sad story :/

Waiting weeks for results sounds like tox screens. I feel like they would know if he died from kidney failure or a ruptured intestine or something like that already wouldn't they?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708
Back