Found Safe TN - Mary Catherine Elizabeth Thomas, 15, Maury County, 13 March 2017 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, signs were not missed. I think there was a lot of looking the other way. I'm livid.

I agree. Her own father knew she'd been abducted by him when she first went missing. Parents are usually the last to know so if he figured it out that quickly, it had to be pretty much out there for the world to see.

I agree it's risky but the whole tragic mess is risky. I don't think this guy is an idiot, so he has to know he's going to get caught, eventually. But maybe, just maybe... he never anticipated the whole country would know all about it?

Here's why she's in so much danger, he's not an idiot and he doesn't plan on coming back or getting caught. Ever. Think about it. He's 50, his life is over and he's got guns. That there have been no confirmed sightings since they first left is very worrying.

I agree. Her own father knew she'd been abducted by him when she first went missing. Parents are usually the last to know so if he figured it out that quickly, it had to be pretty much out there for the world to see.

Concur. From what little I know, seems the dad was working hard at improving ET's life and opportunities. My heart breaks for him, and for TC's wife and family.

This article was mentioned earlier, I was just able to finish reading it.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/new...-job-kidnapping-suspect-tad-cummins/99515186/

This stillness was just for a moment, said Freda Scott, who lives next door to Tad and Jill Cummins. Scott answered the door cautiously in her robe. For days, strangers have been knocking on doors in the neighborhood — law enforcement and reporters.
Scott said she understands all the activity.
“Nobody knows why he did it.”

BBM.

Because he is a predator with a disturbed mindset in sheep's clothing who was able to groom and manipulate a child with the ultimate goal of satisfying his own ends at any cost, per standard predator behavior and thought process.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to single out this particular person but why is it so hard for some to understand "why" he did this?

Sorry, my brain was reading too fast and I had to do a double take there. I thought that said "distilled midget". Probably time for another eye exam. (But yes, I agree with what you've said)

Here's why she's in so much danger, he's not an idiot and he doesn't plan on coming back or getting caught. Ever. Think about it. He's 50, his life is over and he's got guns. That there have been no confirmed sightings since they first left is very worrying.

These two things at the very least should be reason for great concern, and I hope to God I'm wrong, but I don't have a lot of hope for this ending well. JMO

I was just answering a question that someone asked me.But I sure wasn't accusing YOU of anything.

I was just noticing a trend in your comments on the case and thought you MUST be playing devil's advocate :

...She sees this teacher as a possible escape and pulls at every string in his heart to get him to take her away.Meanwhile,the teacher is thinking about this relationship as a possibility but wants to wait as long as possible till its legal.The teen wants out NOW so she kisses him at school knowing this will get him fired and completely ruin his family life and reputation thus giving him a reason to want to runaway too. So, having nothing left to lose he runs away with her...

SBM / BOLD BY ME - i read as "she instigated this kidnapping"

He may been only tring to boost her ego at first ,and it somehow got out of hand.I don't know for sure,but thats what I sensed.I think she kissed him off guard.

she caused it to get out of hand and kissed him

" Whatley said these actions were all a part of the grooming process that allowed Cummins to gain control of Elizabeth’s mind."
Sounds like an opinon to me.
My opinion is that he could of been giving her special treatment because she was so abused and depressed and he felt sorry for her.

sorry, I read this as TC is the good guy trying to help her

Yeah, he messed up.He was a stupid teacher.
"

messed up" seems like a poor choice of words. along with stupid teacher you could also add predator and kidnapper...

I was just asking if you were posing these comments that seem to be focused solely on TC's plight in this situation in an attempt to spark conversation and see things from a different point of view in the hopes that it would generate some different ideas of where they could have gone.

I also just got a weird feeling when reading some of these posts and then noticed they were all made by you and wanted your clarification.

Please feel free to ignore this post as it is all my opinion and was just a weird feeling that I wanted to get out.

He sure follows a lot of Instagrams that feature guns, knives, tactical gear, outdoor living, etc.

Thats the problem with some of the good teachers that they can get more involved with the kids then what they really want to because the teacher is so popular.The kids will tend to actually try to hangout with them between classes and lead to all kinds of friendship/teacher relationships.I seen it happen at my highschool growing up.

Ever have those teachers pay a student to come into their room and spend time with them and be "good"? Ever have those teachers give a back rub? Ever have those teachers tell all but one "special" student to leave the room so they could be alone? Ever have a teacher hold hands with anyone? How about a teacher taking a student alone in their car outside of school hours? I'll bet not. I know the whole "Lolita" thing is titillating, but we're talking Grandpa and she's surrounded by young handsome boys her age. We're also talking about a man who read her life story and told other students about it, all about the abuse and how "troubled" she was. We're also talking about a man who was told, reprimanded in fact, to stay away from her and flagrantly disregarded that directive. Popular teachers don't groom, manipulate and further fantasies with students. They don't abduct them, leave their family and community in shambles and call it "love" and they certainly don't do this at 50 years old. If he wanted out, he leaves his family and runs off with his secretary, a fully functioning adult he doesn't pay for a "good girl".

Mom24, your post is so on point, but I also feel nauseous. It actually makes me feel physically ill. This is so disgusting and sad. And what's more is, I'm sure this is going on elsewhere. :(

I'm still reading posts and taking a break from what I was doing. But I've been looking into states and teen marriages. Most likely he went somewhere where they could marry. Thing is, most require parental permission. Unless she has proof of pregnancy. A few states so far will waive the need for parents to be there to consent if the minor is pregnant.

I'm still reading posts and taking a break from what I was doing. But I've been looking into states and teen marriages. Most likely he went somewhere where they could marry. Thing is, most require parental permission. Unless she has proof of pregnancy. A few states so far will waive the need for parents to be there to consent if the minor is pregnant.

What to do about his wife, though.

He's married, so he wouldn't be able to get married in any state.

He definitely needs to "man up" ! He made a really terrible choice here and needs to just return the girl. If he wants to continue to run, that's fine! But he should drop off the girl in a safe place.
The longer this sick adventure goes on, the worse it could get! It's never too late to try to turn things around and a good start would be returning the girl.

How exactly have you ascertained which posts she read? I'm 100% certain she's not the only poster wondering what's up with this seemingly supportive attitude towards the perp.

I've already stated my opinions on that.
I just hope he can take care of her until either she decides to go home or they get caught.

Ever have those teachers pay a student to come into their room and spend time with them and be "good"? Ever have those teachers give a back rub? Ever have those teachers tell all but one "special" student to leave the room so they could be alone? Ever have a teacher hold hands with anyone? How about a teacher taking a student alone in their car outside of school hours? I'll bet not. I know the whole "Lolita" thing is titillating, but we're talking Grandpa and she's surrounded by young handsome boys her age. We're also talking about a man who read her life story and told other students about it, all about the abuse and how "troubled" she was. We're also talking about a man who was told, reprimanded in fact, to stay away from her and flagrantly disregarded that directive. Popular teachers don't groom, manipulate and further fantasies with students. They don't abduct them, leave their family and community in shambles and call it "love" and they certainly don't do this at 50 years old. If he wanted out, he leaves his family and runs off with his secretary, a fully functioning adult he doesn't pay for a "good girl".

The Thank You button doesn't even begin to cover how awesome this post is!! :takeabow:

THIS. Thank you @Mom24 for this. Exactly my point. This individual is no teacher, no mentor, no friend, and no man. He is a criminal, and a pervert. He has ruined his life, that of his wife and family. Hopefully, ET will come home sans roll in oven and can be helped to a better life.

I know it's not PC to say this, but it is VERY likely, in my opinion, that this relationship did start out as one where he was truly trying to help her, and he got caught up in it and lost his brain completely. This isn't like some monster who snatches a small child off the street and then rapes her violently and strangles her and leaves her posed and naked to be found by the community.

This is a man who is a teacher, who had an inappropriately close relationship with a student who was damaged by a childhood filled with abuse, and he lost all his sense and did the unthinkable, and unrecoverable - he encouraged her to leave with him.

Life happens in shadings of greys, not in blacks and whites, IMHO.

And I have eyes in my head. I went to high school in the late 70's, and I did see cases where male teachers were having affairs with students, and in one case a female teacher having an affair with a male student.

And I think those who aren't able to see that maybe just don't know what to look for. It's there. It's there wherever groups of humans exist, they find each other and in their brokenness, locate the ones similarly broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288