GUILTY Fl - Dan Markel, 41, Fsu Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #5 *arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
my step kids mother favors the one who looks most like her and scapegoats the one she feels is "dad's fave" (none are dad's fave, he is equal) funny thing is the scapegoated kid holds some resemblance to her also :/

I hadn't given that a lot of thought,
but you are correct. I have seen that happen, I am sad to say.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

can someone explain what this all means? i dont get it
the 1st document asks the j.a.c to pay, the 2nd document asks for cash and they promise not to ask the j.a.c. for $$$

The first document requests the judge to order the j.a.c. to pay for an expert. The second document requests that SG be designated as indigent so the first motion (and presumably others to come) can be granted (can't get money from j.a.c. if you aren't indigent). SG's counsel indicates in the second motion that the j.a.c. funds will be solely for costs/experts, not for attorney fees.

he was designated indigent a while back, thats why im all like what?

Okay. If the judge subpoenas the information from all lawyers about the retainer fees given and when and how much.

Then it would be easier for us to know when SG and KM retained these lawyers assistance before lock up.

Now I think any retainer fees were given immediately after the police first questioned SG and let him go before arresting him 3 days later.

Now I'm sure that his and Km money was almost gone by then.

So did CA pay the retainers. Or did he tell the lawyers that he will cover things for SG at first.

Or what. Anyways. Follow the legal fee money for both SG at first and KM now. And it will probably lead us to CA. Jmo

attachment.php

From almost a year ago. Must not be too incriminating as the A's would be arrested.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 352
The introduction of financial facts may provide some clarity to the working parts of this case. KM's financial statements that have made their way to the public don't correlate with someone receiving public assistance while saving tens of thousands of dollars in the absence of employment that would provide for such savings.

I wonder what the IRS would make of the money paid to KM from the dental office and KMs tax situation in general. Without a contract, proper employment paperwork, payroll taxes, unemployment taxes, etc, it would seem that any number of statutes were violated by compensating her with paychecks from a business. Would be amazing if her "salary" for working (?) at home was deducted from the business as a pre-tax expense.

If she was working (?) from home, I wonder if there is a shred of evidence of the work she was doing.

Finally, the IRS may end up solving some of these questions. If the immediate family of KM are liquidating their assets, retirement accounts, etc, then there will be an easy paper trail as they transfer an immense sum of money to cover attorney fees, forensic accountants, investigators, etc. There should also be appropriate tax documentation that allows an understanding of the flow of money between parties, if done legitimately.

Maybe she does have the money. Somehow, she can afford cars, 2 phones, cosmetic surgery, kids, routine living expenses and a couple of attorneys in the absense of gainful employment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The introduction of financial facts may provide some clarity to the working parts of this case. KM's financial statements that have made their way to the public don't correlate with someone receiving public assistance while saving tens of thousands of dollars in the absence of employment that would provide for such savings.

I wonder what the IRS would make of the money paid to KM from the dental office and KMs tax situation in general. Without a contract, proper employment paperwork, payroll taxes, unemployment taxes, etc, it would seem that any number of statutes were violated by compensating her with paychecks from a business. Would be amazing if her "salary" for working (?) at home was deducted from the business as a pre-tax expense.

If she was working (?) from home, I wonder if there is a shred of evidence of the work she was doing.

Finally, the IRS may end up solving some of these questions. If the immediate family of KM are liquidating their assets, retirement accounts, etc, then there will be an easy paper trail as they transfer an immense sum of money to cover attorney fees, forensic accountants, investigators, etc. There should also be appropriate tax documentation that allows an understanding of the flow of money between parties, if done legitimately.

Maybe she does have the money. Somehow, she can afford cars, 2 phones, cosmetic surgery, kids, routine living expenses and a couple of attorneys in the absense of gainful employment.

Agree. The Al Capone Tax Evasion charge.

So let's take KMs case federal if all fails.

Agree.

Or do her tax case now and hurry up and subpoena and link the Adelsons to payouts and false tax reporting as well.

And then get them on the conspiracy charge once found guilty of the false reporting tax charges.

Yep yep. Follow the money first.

Jmo.

thanks for posting. very nice. it looks like the alleged puppets and puppet master have until Friday March 24 to cook up a response to the Order. if true, it should be very simple and easy for them to show proof of "immediate family" and "savings" and "retirement accounts". did DeCoste F up and paint himself into a corner with that (maybe) ill-advised response to the media?

oh to be a fly on the wall in Penthouse 1!

Reminder - Deadline is this Friday.

I only check in on this case for short periods of time. It is very upsetting to me. ...the thought that these young kids lost their father and that their paternal grandparents have to suffer not only through the loss of their son, but also through the "abduction" of their grandchildren by the potentially "offending parties". MOO.

Someone mentioned the potential of evidence if the tax returns of the Adelsons were to be investigated for alleged employment violations with regard to payment made to Magbanua from the time of Dan Markel’s murder to the time of Magbanua’s arrest. It is customary that all suspects are innocent until proven guilty.
How would you convince a judge to order the investigation of the tax returns of suspected people who are innocent until proven guilty?
The lawyers of Magbanua are to show why no conflict of interests exists between their representation of Magbanua and their sources of remuneration by this coming Friday 3-24-17. Reposted below is a passage from the “Tax Prof Blog” website, which is edited by Paul L. Caron Pepperdine University School of Law. This piece purports to outline Magbanua attorneys’ response to the Judge and the State Attorneys with regard to the conflict of interest question.
“ …. The quote below is Tuesday night, we reached out to Magbanua's attorneys for comment. One of her attorneys, Christopher DeCoste, sent us the following statement:
"The real conflict of interest here is the prosecution is more ‘interested’ in proving their theory than finding the truth and it’s ‘conflicting’ with their judgment. The case against Katie is nothing more than the prosecution speculating as to how the murder went down and supported only by the unreliable word of a lifelong gangster. That evidence was recently put to the test, the cracks are massive and the prosecution is now desperate, willing to do anything, attack anyone, to hold it together. They’re wrong on their theory of the murder just like they're wrong on their theory of who's paying for Katie's defense, which is her immediate family. They’ve gone into their savings, into their retirement accounts, causing financial hardships, all in order to protect Katie from a wrongful conviction at the hands of an overzealous prosecution. In time their suspicions of the murder will be disproved just like the offensive suspicions that Tara Kawass and myself are focused on anything other than our duty to Katie,” said DeCoste.”
It could be the case that these lawyers are sincerely confident that there is no conflict of interest involved.
This response appears to be strongly worded against the State attorneys. Could this strong statement also suggest that the judge who ordered the attorneys to show cause over-steps his neutrality?
What specific reasoning has convinced the judge that it would be necessary and fair to respond to the conflict of interest allegation, or such allegation deserves always a response by its nature?
Since Magbanua is accused of a felony and held without bond, would not it be easier to motivate the investigation of the 2015 & 2016 tax returns of Magbanua first? That could be a natural course of actions in investigating her financial sources.
US Tax accounting law says that all incomes from whatever sources derived (including illegal sources?) are taxable unless explicitly excluded by the Code. If Magbanua’s tax returns show that she earned some taxable incomes in 2015-2016 but she did not pay taxes on those incomes, then it may be the case that the incomes are not reported because their sources are illicit.
If a logical reasoning outlays behind the order to respond to allegation of conflict of interest and Magbanua’s record shows violations of tax code, these combined facts could weight convincingly.
Would such combined potential fatcs be enough to convince the judge of the necessity and fairness if the tax returns of the Adelsons were to be investigated for potential employment violations? After all, Magbanua has claimed that the Adelsons were her sources of incomes, for service rendered.
In the presence of potentially illicit sources of income, would it not be necessary and fair to investigate also the 2015-2016 tax returns of Magbanua’s employers at that time? If only to clear-up allegations over suspects who are innocent until proven guilty, such investigation would make sense.
Such tax return investigations, if proven necessary and fairly done, could yield other evidence to indicate that large lump sums of undocumented origins are involved.
Then, such evidence could validate the necessity and fairness of investigating the tax returns of Magbanua’s relatives. After all, she is accused of a grave felony and her relatives are purported by her high caliber lawyers to have gone into their savings, into their retirement accounts, causing them financial hardships, in order to protect Magbanua.
If the lawyers make such strongly worded statement while Magbanua’s financial records such as tax returns do not support the facts put forth, would that be enough for the judge to subpoena and to swear those generous and wealthy Magbanua relatives?
Anyway, it appears from the court records of Magbanua and Garcia that the State of Florida has provided their lawyers with some proof of material facts recently, which wordings are not publicly available. It is now the time for those lawyers to provide the State attorneys with some proof that there is no conflict of interest with the origination of their remunerations. Would the court make their response publicly available?

I have a rather strong feeling that KM has not filed taxes for 2015-2016. But it's the 2014 tax returns that might say the most... if, they were filed.

I have a rather strong feeling that KM has not filed taxes for 2015-2016. But it's the 2014 tax returns that might say the most... if, they were filed.

MiamiT- where have you gone? I can read your post in other places but not here?!

possible responses to the Order by KM's attorneys tomorrow -

1. argue that attorney-client privilege protects fee payment information and hence refuse to provide it.
2. request withdrawal from the case because they are "unable at this time to confirm with certainty the exact origins of fee payments".
3. show paper trail proof of "immediate family" fee payment origins.
4. other

so what's your guess?

possible responses to the Order by KM's attorneys tomorrow -

1. argue that attorney-client privilege protects fee payment information and hence refuse to provide it.
2. request withdrawal from the case because they are "unable at this time to confirm with certainty the exact origins of fee payments".
3. show paper trail proof of "immediate family" fee payment origins.
4. other

so what's your guess?

I just read the Order to Show Cause issued on February 23rd. It does not actually require them to produce anything today. They had to show good cause as to why the State's Motion for Conflict of Interest Inquiry should not be granted. So they only had to show why the inquiry should not be conducted - since it appears that no cause was shown, I imagine the judge will now grant the Motion for Conflict of Inquiry.

I just read the Order to Show Cause issued on February 23rd. It does not actually require them to produce anything today. They had until today to show good cause as to why the State's Motion for Conflict of Interest Inquiry should not be granted. So they had until today to show why the inquiry should not be conducted - since it appears that no cause was shown, I imagine the judge will now grant the Motion for Conflict of Inquiry.

I wouldn't read anything into the fact that KM did not file a response to the OSC today. The Feb. 23 OSC gave KM 30 days from "the date of this Order" to respond. Thirty days from Feb. 23 is Saturday, March 25. In most jurisdictions, when a due date falls on a weekend, the actual due date moves to the following Monday. (I haven't specifically checked Florida, but I assume the rule is the same as elsewhere.) I assume KM will file a response Monday. If she doesn't, then the judge will probably go ahead and grant the state's motion for a conflict of interest inquiry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member