IL - Luke Miller, 15, beaten up at school, dies, Champaign, March 2017

I worked as a high school teacher for many years. I cannot wrap my mind around bullying. It is absolutely horrible. I hope his family can find peace at some point.

I am sickened by the amount of deaths caused by bullying...When will it stop

I gathered from the article that he was a compassionate young man, sensitive to the feelings of those around him. Reading the part where it said that even though he would win archery tournaments, he would still make his win about the other kids, makes what happened to him that much more heartbreaking. He built others up...And others tore him down.

We need more people with hearts like Luke.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

OBITUARY

CHAMPAIGN – Luke Miller, 15, of Champaign went to be with the Lord in the early morning hours on Saturday (March 11, 2017) at Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis.

He was born on May 6, 2001, in Urbana, the son of Ryan and Heather (Cupps) Miller. He is survived by his parents, grandparents Larry and Susan Miller of Mattoon and Beth and Bill Cupps of Champaign; Uncle and Aunt Marc and Debbie Miller of Haslett, Mich., and Brad and Laurel Allen of Springfield, Ill., along with his beloved cousins Lilly and Logan Allen.

Luke was a sophomore at Champaign Centennial High School and was a member of the Charger archery team and the golf team, and was awarded an academic letter in fall 2016. As a second-year member of the Charger Archery program, he helped the team win countless tournaments as well as winning many individual medals based upon his personal scores.

He was one of the top male shooters in the State of Illinois with a 291 average in 2017 out of 300 points and excelled in the sport not only as an athlete, but as a teammate and demonstrated excellent sportsmanship.

In 2016, at the National NASP Archery Tournament in Louisville, Ky., he placed in the top 1 percent of shooters with a 293 out of 300 points, making him the No. 55 shooter out of nearly 13,000 total participants.

As a member of the Charger Golf team, he was newer to the sport, but was continually improving and encouraged his friends to join so the team could grow and continue to remain competitive.

He was also a talented budding artist and participated in many art classes at Centennial. He recently had his art displayed at a juried show at the Illini Union Art Gallery.

Luke also began working with the Urbana Park District Urban Planning Department in the summer of 2016 where he was learning about park management and natural resources, which he was interested in as a potential career.

Luke was an active member of the All School 4-H Club where he was president, vice president and treasurer during his eight years in 4-H. He won many awards including grand champion ribbons in photography, geology, art and sportfishing, along with state superior ribbons at the Illinois State Fair. He was instrumental in mentoring younger 4-H'ers in their projects and encouraging them to get involved in other 4-H activities.

He was a member of the First United Methodist Church in downtown Champaign and active in the youth choir, youth group and sang frequently with the Perceptions worship group.

In his younger years, he played Little League baseball for the American and Champaign East Little Leagues. He was often the tall lefty at first base, and when pitching, had a curveball that left many batters stumped and umpires would comment on.

He threw one game in his last year as a suited-level player with 14 strikeouts and hit a stand-up triple in the same game. He also played for the Jefferson Middle School baseball team his eighth-grade year.

While at Jefferson Middle School, he was a member of the Science Olympiad Team for three years, inducted into the National Junior Honor Society, on the honor roll, and part of the standout Jaguar Archery Team.

In Luke's eighth-grade year, he was a member of the top-shooting "Gold Team" where he was awarded a medal as the Illinois Middle School State Male Champion with a score of 280/300 points and participated at the National and World tournaments as well as a Jaguar.

Luke had a passion and a zest for life and did nothing at less than 100 percent. He was often called an "old soul" by many because of his maturity and compassion for others.

He loved fishing for hours at subdivision ponds, photography, geology, Cardinals baseball, golfing and spending time with his family and friends.

He loved helping others with anything they needed - someone to talk to during a tough time, help with a homework assignment, learning how to fish, teaching others archery tips, giving a timely hug, or knowing what to say to make someone laugh when they needed it.

Luke's smile was infectious, jokes legendary, and he had enough fishing equipment that would rival a sporting goods store. He had a big personality and will be missed dearly by so many whom he touched.

Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Thursday, March 16, at Morgan Memorial Home, 1304 Regency Drive West, Savoy.

Celebration of life will be at 10 a.m. Friday 17 at the First United Methodist Church in downtown Champaign.

Burial will be in Mount Olive Cemetery, Mayview.

Memorials may be made to the Centennial High School Archery Team or an organization of the donor's choosing.

Condolences may be made at www.morganmemorialhome.com.

Friends, family to gather to remember Luke Miller

Luke's parents took him to Carle Foundation Hospital on Saturday after he began "vomiting blood." Luke was airlifted to Barnes Hospital in St. Louis.

Wow Luke - you have accomplished more in your short life than most have as an adult. I am so sorry Luke. You didn't deserve this treatment (I too was bullied in school and by my mother - hated my life growing up). You were truly a gift to many with your kindness and talents. My youngest son, 14 yrs old was bullied in school - lucky his school had zero tolerance and no issues this year. You have touched me deeply and I will never forget you (I don't know you, but your legacy will live on).

I went to school with Luke's dad. He is a great man. I have a son two years younger than Luke. And I can't imagine how painful this must be. Luke was certainly an inspiring young man. Ryan and his wife must have been very proud. May that pride help them to cope with the loss of their only child.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to school with Luke's dad. He is a great man. I have a son two years younger than Luke. And I can't imagine how painful this must be. Luke was certainly an inspiring young man. Ryan and his wife must have been very proud. May that pride help them to cope with the loss of their only child.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Please give him our condolences and let him know that many people are praying for him and his wife in their time of loss.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

That is really terrible!

I wonder of anyone saw what exactly happened to Like Miller.

So sad. What a talented young man Luke was! He was preparing for an archery tournament the day following the attack, too. I get the feeling the motive for this savage assault was blind jealousy. It will not win the perps any awards, though, but will deprive them of their freedom and many privileges, and hopefully it will gain them a lifetime of regret.

Blind jealousy or envy can drive one to extreme evil. One can look no further than the likes of Lori Drew, Gertrude Baniszewski, Jodi Arias, Betty Broderick, Elliot Rodger, Eric Harris, Adam Lanza, Seung-Hui Cho, Omar Mateen, 9/11 Terrorists, Osama bin Laden, Adolf Hitler, and Joseph Stalin. They are so consume by jealousy. Their mantra is everyone else has it good, but me. A lot of bullying is driven by jealousy like mass murder, terrorism, and genocide.

Murderous Envy
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/keeping-kids-safe/200905/murderous-envy

On Wound Collectors
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/spycatcher/201509/wound-collectors

Why no updates in the news?

I think we're waiting for the lab results from the autopsy. I think LE said there would be no further statements until the full lab results are back - which could take weeks.

What is a Unit 4 school in Champaign? Any locals here who can give an actual clear definition? All the answers I find on the web sound like someone is talking with their mouth full of marbles- can't understand a thing they're saying.

I live in Champaign and my son goes to Centennial HS. What is really interesting is how this incident is being treated by the local media, law enforcement, and school. Absolute lock down on any comments or discussions. I get waiting for the results of the autopsy, but it is impossible to get any details, rumors, etc. of the unfortunate physical incident that may have caused this fine young man his life. The local News Paper (News Gazette) either removes any reader comments from the numerous "vague" articles they have posted on their website, or shut off comments completely. Not a peep about anything related to the name/s, ages, sex, race, etc. who may have been involved in the alleged "bullying" the previous day of his death. You cannot even find anything on social media. It seems like a vigorous & concerted effort by authorities and media to keep this story on the lowdown. They are in serious protection mode and do not want anything getting out at all. Makes you wonder what they are trying hide and why they are hiding it. We are now 2 weeks into this investigation and it is radio silence mode.

http://www.illinoishomepage.net/new...onors-slain-teen-archer-luke-miller/680326086

The 15-year-old Centennial bowman was buried one week ago today. His death remains under investigation. His life still brings joy to his former coach.
Jefferson Archery Coach Lynne Srull says, "[Luke was] just a great kid. I still can't believe he's gone. Very sensitive, very helpful, very caring kid. Worked very hard. [Luke] loved archery."

I live in Champaign and my son goes to Centennial HS. What is really interesting is how this incident is being treated by the local media, law enforcement, and school. Absolute lock down on any comments or discussions. I get waiting for the results of the autopsy, but it is impossible to get any details, rumors, etc. of the unfortunate physical incident that may have caused this fine young man his life. The local News Paper (News Gazette) either removes any reader comments from the numerous "vague" articles they have posted on their website, or shut off comments completely. Not a peep about anything related to the name/s, ages, sex, race, etc. who may have been involved in the alleged "bullying" the previous day of his death. You cannot even find anything on social media. It seems like a vigorous & concerted effort by authorities and media to keep this story on the lowdown. They are in serious protection mode and do not want anything getting out at all. Makes you wonder what they are trying hide and why they are hiding it. We are now 2 weeks into this investigation and it is radio silence mode.

Some rather interesting turn of events. Wonder what is really going on.

:welcome5: Golfer67! Good to hear from a local. IMHO, LE has asked media and people they have interviewed, in relation to the case, not to disclose any information to maintain the integrity of the case. It would not help the investigation to allow rumor to spread, especially in a case that involves juveniles. I think the silence is a good sign--a sign that everyone is cooperating with LE. Hopefully (and I feel confident) that LE have a good idea who assaulted Luke and are waiting for the results of testing to corroborate witness testimony. They need to be sure to arrest the right people and make the charges stick, so some dangerous teens (possibly adults, also) can be taken off the streets.

I'm like you, Golfer67, and gets antsy when I don't see any activity on a case. Sometimes cases like this seem to come to an abrupt halt, and that's frustrating. But, LE is always working behind the scenes and often an arrest/arrests come suddenly when least expected. I've seen that happen a year or two after a crime has been committed and then gone silent. I think this one will be solved much sooner, though. Rampant rumor would only hinder the investigation, and could harm innocent people. JMO

:welcome5: Golfer67! Good to hear from a local. IMHO, LE has asked media and people they have interviewed, in relation to the case, not to disclose any information to maintain the integrity of the case. It would not help the investigation to allow rumor to spread, especially in a case that involves juveniles. I think the silence is a good sign--a sign that everyone is cooperating with LE. Hopefully (and I feel confident) that LE have a good idea who assaulted Luke and are waiting for the results of testing to corroborate witness testimony. They need to be sure to arrest the right people and make the charges stick, so some dangerous teens (possibly adults, also) can be taken off the streets.

I'm like you, Golfer67, and gets antsy when I don't see any activity on a case. Sometimes cases like this seem to come to an abrupt halt, and that's frustrating. But, LE is always working behind the scenes and often an arrest/arrests come suddenly when least expected. I've seen that happen a year or two after a crime has been committed and then gone silent. I think this one will be solved much sooner, though. Rampant rumor would only hinder the investigation, and could harm innocent people. JMO

Indy Anna, I'm hopeful you are right. I just find it hard to send my son to that school everyday when you know there is a kid or group of kids still roaming the halls who likely caused such horrific internal injuries to Luke that he lost his life. If they think they know who the culprits are they should at the least be suspended from school precautionary to the avoid any future incidents, even if it has to be confidential until they have all evidence necessary to convict.

I have heard this might be a highly controversial incident that involves race. I would not be surprised if this thing gets pushed out by LE until school is out for summer break to avoid the potential drastic repercussions during school. Drive by the entrance of Centennial around 2:30pm every day. There are 4 or more police cars parked out front before school is out every day. Obviously to detour any violence as the kids are let out. That alone tells you what type of student body we are dealing with. 10 years ago you would have never have seen LE near the school.

Time to get out of this godforsaken town and state!!!

ARCHERY TEAMS AROUND ILLINOIS HONOR #LIVELIKELUKE

Champaign police are still investigating the death of 15-year-old Miller after he died from internal injuries earlier this month. (wondering if this has been confirmed as COD or just rumor that has morphed into fact for the reporter . . . I thought the coroner and LE hadn't released COD yet?)

#LiveLikeLuke is spreading way beyond Central Illinois. The hashtag started a few days after Luke's death. Some people took to social media to show support. Others started making shirts and banners.

Luke, Being silenced is not justice. The truth will out.

They have got to be waiting for school year to end. We should know something by now.

It's very hard for me to believe the beating was the actual cause of Luke's death, if no one noticed anything in the days after the beating. Suicide maybe?

I know you can have a brain injury that can cause a death if you slightly reinjure your brain before it's healed, but you would notice a person's head injury.
The bullies kicked him where his bruises wouldn't show. Google lacerated liver and lacerated spleen.

Blind jealousy or envy can drive one to extreme evil. One can look no further than the likes of Lori Drew, Gertrude Baniszewski, Jodi Arias, Betty Broderick, Elliot Rodger, Eric Harris, Adam Lanza, Seung-Hui Cho, Omar Mateen, 9/11 Terrorists, Osama bin Laden, Adolf Hitler, and Joseph Stalin. They are so consume by jealousy. Their mantra is everyone else has it good, but me. A lot of bullying is driven by jealousy like mass murder, terrorism, and genocide.

Murderous Envy
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/keeping-kids-safe/200905/murderous-envy

On Wound Collectors
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/spycatcher/201509/wound-collectors
Sometimes bullies are just sadistic . Kids who are different in even the smallest ways become their targets.

IMO, it's odd he didn't want to release the name of the bullies while in the ER. I hope the bullies aren't members of his family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back