Found Safe TN - Mary Catherine Elizabeth Thomas, 15, Maury County, 13 March 2017 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if they don't, I think they should--- If it helps save 1 person it would be worth it.

It would be. Agreed. However, I have heard that the reason Amber Alerts are selective is because people might begin to tune out, like they do when they hear car alarms, if there are too many.

But right now, on the NCMEC site, it shows only two active Amber Alerts in all of the US. Both are Elizabeth's. http://www.missingkids.com/AMBER

I would like to see this go nationwide.

Sorry, at least you can see it is Fox 17 and there is one set up if intetested. Am sure Kat can verify.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Dead link. Anyways, I would like to see a reward account that will pay for tip leading to TC's capture and ET's return home. Tips may come in better if the reward grew like a lottery. I would donate.

I see no evidence of a nationwide program of any kind. No mechanism via the DOJ or any other federal entity whereby Amber Alerts can be issued nationwide. It appears to be entirely left up to the states.

Should there be a nationwide Amber Alert? It would sure help save and locate this girl. However, I can imagine the clamor if there was such a mechanism. Should each one be nationwide? If not, why not? And what would the criteria be?

It's a sticky wicket to be sure. Add to that each state has their own age of consent, prosecuting statutes regarding felonies, misdemeanors, reporting standards, etc. But at the moment, other than LE's issuing a BOLO, there isn't any nationally accepted method of approving nationwide AA's. I would think nationwide AA's would exhaust local LE and make it less likely for them to focus on the ones that are distinctly in their area and cause more cases to go unsolved. But yes, there is no nationwide mandate. The AA system is voluntary, kind of like CARD.

Okay, non-techy here so this may be a totally dumb question. When you use Google Earth you can see the area you're looking at as a satellite pic, but is there any way to see it in real time, like at night? I ask because I'm wondering if you could look at an area and see a campfire at night in a secluded area.

Well if they don't, I think they should--- If it helps save 1 person it would be worth it.

Perhaps a separate type of alert system for a situation for when the offender is armed, raising it to different level of danger. Not to say someone can't be hurt without a weapon, but bringing a weapon along infers intent to commit harm.

AMBER ALERT is never issued on a nationwide basis.

42-page 2015 AMBER ALERT report –
Detailed information, including charts and map, at this link:
https://www.amberalert.gov/pdfs/2015AMBERAlertReport.pdf

Some pertinent points on page 6:
Once an AMBER Alert is activated, the alert may be issued in another state/territory at the request of the originating state’s AMBER Alert coordinator, thus creating a multistate/territory activation.
Although an AMBER Alert can be issued in multiple states or territories, it is never issued on a nationwide basis.
AMBER Alerts are geographically targeted based on law enforcement’s investigation.

And page 9:
Multistate/territory AMBER Alerts
When an AMBER Alert is issued an abductor may take the child outside the jurisdiction of the issuing law enforcement authority. In some cases the AMBER Alert coordinator in the state/territory where the AMBER Alert originated may request an AMBER Alert be extended into another state/territory.
Yeah we know that, which is why it was also issued here. We are just wondering since it seems they have no idea where they are and they could be in any state, why there aren't times, such as this, that it is issued nationwide.

Generally they aren't needed nationwide because there are some leads. This seems to be zero leads after Decatur and that was 2 weeks ago.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I am SW Ontario Canada and am seeing/hearing coverage on the Detroit News Stations. Of course I first learned of it here.

I see no evidence of a nationwide program of any kind. No mechanism via the DOJ or any other federal entity whereby Amber Alerts can be issued nationwide. It appears to be entirely left up to the states.

Should there be a nationwide Amber Alert? It would sure help save and locate this girl. However, I can imagine the clamor if there was such a mechanism. Should each one be nationwide? If not, why not? And what would the criteria be?
It seems there is some work from the DOJ and the AA system.

On this page there is some DOJ training.

http://www.missingkids.com/Amber

Also there is an AA .gov site that is part of the DOJ.

https://www.amberalert.gov/index.htm

I think with zero confirmed tips all this time and nothing since Decatur, this should qualify for a national alert. I believe they said today in the presser they could really be anywhere and they need public help. I would think very few would really qualify for a national alert because a lot of times they catch them in the area.

Yeah we know that, which is why it was also issued here. We are just wondering since it seems they have no idea where they are and they could be in any state, why there aren't times, such as this, that it is issued nationwide.

Generally they aren't needed nationwide because there are some leads. This seems to be zero leads after Decatur and that was 2 weeks ago.

Well, AA's go out when it's "fresh" so to speak. But they have alerted other areas, FBI is involved and there has been nationwide news coverage. An AA to other areas would be difficult since the original abduction was 2 weeks ago. But there should be another alert system for situations like this where it's likely the victim is outside of the original area. I'm not sure how it would be done. That's why I mentioned some of the things that had been done in a previous case. Getting those websites going, making sure that news stations carry the site address with the story so it gets out. Bombing FB with the missing poster, having it on billboards on major highways, it gets the story out. Just wanted to add, I became aware of this from a FB post.

I am just not on board that they have help. Or should I say he does. This is his gig and cant see him sharing any of it with anybody. When it became public and the pressure was on him, he spirited her away. I just pray she is ok. He has lost everything other than his sick fantasy. It pains me to type this but the fact reported he has 2 weapons concerns me greatly. IMO.

I am SW Ontario Canada and am seeing/hearing coverage on the Detroit News Stations. Of course I first learned of it here.
That is good, but these days, many don't watch local news coverage. I've seen it on CNN a few times, but I have CNN running non-stop on my regular office and home office on the days I'm working. I'm also not sure it was at times when the viewership is high.

MOST LIKELY: Trying to decide on the most likely (at least in my mind), though it's definitely not a for sure. Here goes. Most likely:
she was an abuse victim of some sort
they have a sexual relationship
she will eventually want to come home
she will eventually want a younger man
tad will probably get an illness since he is 50
they are in the woods
MOST likely: I will be wrong. :)

There was talk about the vehicle loan and how long $4500 can last them.
Just brainstorming, but what is $4500 to a 16 year old... could be he's paying one of his students to help him. May be far fetched, but kind of matches the history of Tad as we know it

Well, AA's go out when it's "fresh" so to speak. But they have alerted other areas, FBI is involved and there has been nationwide news coverage. An AA to other areas would be difficult since the original abduction was 2 weeks ago. But there should be another alert system for situations like this where it's likely the victim is outside of the original area. I'm not sure how it would be done. That's why I mentioned some of the things that had been done in a previous case. Getting those websites going, making sure that news stations carry the site address with the story so it gets out. Bombing FB with the missing poster, having it on billboards on major highways, it gets the story out. Just wanted to add, I became aware of this from a FB post.
I became aware because I got the AA but it went out 17 hours after the ping in Decatur, which was almost 36 hours after they left Shoneys. Kat said LE didn't even want to issue an AA at first because they were saying she went voluntarily.

He had so much time before an amber alert was issued. Without stopping very long, they could have literally been in Los Angeles or almost halfway to Alaska, by the time the alert went out.

Pretty sure The Daily Mail is not a msm link. But I'm sick of arguing, so...meh.

Too bad Tad didn't keep his day job because he sure isn't going to make any money with that voice. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg