Q&A for LI Locals and those that grew up here

Have read and am caught up---- hello in advance to all !!!! Good call on burlap-----def. used in clamming and also used in nurseries------alot of sod farms and nurseries on the east end-------arbor vitae (sp.) and other trees are transported I believe with roots wrapped in burlap.

I am glad to see the discussion going. I read the book "Lost Girls" (no groans please...lol) and am curious to know what others thought.
I did not know that SG was brought to the home and others were present as well. I did read that she and and the john left for about 20 minutes and returned (as per her driver) and that he had no idea where they had gone.

That's due to the small size of the NY State Park Police ... only 250 officers to cover the entire state parks system. Once upon a time they had seasonal officers but I guess not anymore.

As for night time arent most of the parks locked up? Many years ago (mid-late 1990s) when I was a little kid I was at one the beaches and some sort of law enforcement (they had blue uniforms so they couldent have been State Park Police, Town of Babylon Bay Constables maybe?) made us leave so they could lock up the facilities and the gate. I can't remember the name of the park offhand.

Wait a minute, why is a SCPD truck patrolling the beach at all? Isn't that supposed to be NY State Parks jurisdiction...??
SPCD covers Gilgo Beach, Oak Beach, etc ... sometimes it's a Marine Bureau humvee and at times in the past it's been a 1st Precinct sector.

Spent a few hours at Sore Thumb last night from 6:30 to midnight. For the first time in years...there were constant patrols. The first couple of hours it was the Marine Bureau buggies patroling over and over. At around 9ish, the SCPD patrols started and continued until we left.

Odd.

Spent a few hours at Sore Thumb last night from 6:30 to midnight. For the first time in years...there were constant patrols. The first couple of hours it was the Marine Bureau buggies patroling over and over. At around 9ish, the SCPD patrols started and continued until we left.

Odd.

That is a bit odd.

Odd.

Thumb is going to be patrolled pretty heavy till the end of the season since it has been a zoo down there. In the past month I've seen the following: Girl learning to drive stick in a wrangler while drinking a bottle of tequilla. Honda civic and a mini van stuck. People laying in the tracks where trucks are to drive. People blocking the road with tents and other nonsense.

This has all been bought to the attention of SCPD and NYS by hundreds of people over the last month or so. They were also patrolling and checking passes at Demo this weekend.

I live in Long Beach not far from Gilgo Beach and the word around town is that many retired PO officers live in Gilgo and Oak Beach and they believe it was someone in law enforcement that potentially still lives there. This is why the investigation has halted. The filmmakers should return to that area and really investigate the residents. One person posted about the burlap bags that get used at state Fairs. I thought about that and he was right. He could do security work at the fairs. They also believe he may no longer be alive.

Is anyone aware if the SCPD did as thorough a search of the pine barrens in manorville as they did on ocean pkwy? Granted, the area is much larger, but if those woods off halsey manor/mill rd/north st, havent been thoroughly searched yet, they need to be. Especially since remains in manorville where linked to OP. With a case this big, youd think theyd search every area of those woods out off the east end of the LIE. If a thorough search was never done, would any local LI sleuthers be interested in teaming up and conducting a search? Preferrably before spring?

Is anyone aware if the SCPD did as thorough a search of the pine barrens in manorville as they did on ocean pkwy? Granted, the area is much larger, but if those woods off halsey manor/mill rd/north st, havent been thoroughly searched yet, they need to be. Especially since remains in manorville where linked to OP. With a case this big, youd think theyd search every area of those woods out off the east end of the LIE. If a thorough search was never done, would any local LI sleuthers be interested in teaming up and conducting a search? Preferrably before spring?

I'm not a local but from what I gather most of that area is hunted and utilized by off road vehicles pretty regular, not to mention mushroom hunters and dog walkers. That's a lot of woods to cover but I feel if there was anything laid out in the open it would likely be seen at some point. I think a team of drones working together along Ocean Pkwy could be productive though.

I have a question for any locals who might know whats up with these trails cut along the roads leading north out of Jones beach. They've shown up sometime between 2014-2015 and are mostly on the east or northbound side of both Jones beach causeway and Meadowbrook state pkwy. They can be seen with the historical imagery function on google earth. What's the purpose of these I can't figure it out.

RG4S7AV.png

I'm not a local but from what I gather most of that area is hunted and utilized by off road vehicles pretty regular, not to mention mushroom hunters and dog walkers. That's a lot of woods to cover but I feel if there was anything laid out in the open it would likely be seen at some point. I think a team of drones working together along Ocean Pkwy could be productive though.

I have a question for any locals who might know whats up with these trails cut along the roads leading north out of Jones beach. They've shown up sometime between 2014-2015 and are mostly on the east or northbound side of both Jones beach causeway and Meadowbrook state pkwy. They can be seen with the historical imagery function on google earth. What's the purpose of these I can't figure it out.

RG4S7AV.png
Could be deer trails. They have had a reurgence on LI in recent years. They are very active on fire island.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Could be deer trails. They have had a reurgence on LI in recent years. They are very active on fire island.

I couldn't think of a better description than "trails" but they're actually rather wide, at least as wide as a vehicle. I'm thinking a bull dozier or some type of equipment but the reason for them escapes me.

I couldn't think of a better description than "trails" but they're actually rather wide, at least as wide as a vehicle. I'm thinking a bull dozier or some type of equipment but the reason for them escapes me.

Those big trials are likely from the machinery brought in after hurricane sandy to shore up some jettis at the southern tip of that little island in the photo.

RG4S7AV.png

Drones with 4k video would work great for OP. Would they reveal as much detail as the tools the feds used during the initial search though? IMO, manorville pine barrens still need a thorough search because like OP, there are areas alongside some of those rds out there that are as desolate and rarely travveled by foot. Ever since Grumman got the shaft in 1994, that whole area became a run down ghost town. Its really the only area on the island that is empty for acres and acres.

Drones with 4k video would work great for OP. Would they reveal as much detail as the tools the feds used during the initial search though? IMO, manorville pine barrens still need a thorough search because like OP, there are areas alongside some of those rds out there that are as desolate and rarely travveled by foot. Ever since Grumman got the shaft in 1994, that whole area became a run down ghost town. Its really the only area on the island that is empty for acres and acres.
I wish they would. I lived really close to there for 10 yrs. I always felt like they could find a bunch of things including bodies if they did a good search. The other place is the area that was on fire a few yrs ago between there and brookhaven lab. Ooooo that was scary at night. My pitties were let out by someone once and were loose there. One was missing 6 months. I searched the area alot.

Q: Were there any pay-by-the hour hot tub places on LI, especially in the mid-late 90's to early-mid 2000's? I've tried searching but I'm not sure what to call these places: soak n' poke, private jacuzzi rooms, etc. Places like these:
http://www.elliottbayhottubco.com/index.html
http://www.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2009/04/21/a-memorial-to-tubs

(Thought Process: On another thread there was speculation about a year back about how at least one of the male victims was found in a swim suit under clothing and how they may have been in physical therapy at a clinic with a pool. Thinking along those lines I became curious about pay-by-the-hour hot tub places... IMO an hourly hot tub place could also make sense/connect to other things: gay hookup spots, prostitution, possibly [yet unlikely] even kill site)

Q: Were there any pay-by-the hour hot tub places on LI, especially in the mid-late 90's to early-mid 2000's? I've tried searching but I'm not sure what to call these places: soak n' poke, private jacuzzi rooms, etc. Places like these:
http://www.elliottbayhottubco.com/index.html
http://www.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2009/04/21/a-memorial-to-tubs

(Thought Process: On another thread there was speculation about a year back about how at least one of the male victims was found in a swim suit under clothing and how they may have been in physical therapy at a clinic with a pool. Thinking along those lines I became curious about pay-by-the-hour hot tub places... IMO an hourly hot tub place could also make sense/connect to other things: gay hookup spots, prostitution, possibly [yet unlikely] even kill site)

There was one in Huntington in the early 90s. Not sure when it closed down. I am sure there were others but I don't know for sure.

There is at least one aquatic rehab place that I know of in Plainview. I would have to check if there are others.

As for pay by the hour hot tub/spa, not that I can think of. But...some motels that rent by the hour have hot tubs.

Thanks again for the info on pay by the hour hot tub places! I have another question for the locals: Is Manorville sometimes called "Mannerville" in an ironic way (I realize the pronunciation difference would be very subtle). I can see this happening if it's notorious for say rude drivers or something along those lines...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back