Who was George Brody?- Part 2.

I am hoping that punching incident in 1941 will have some document handwritten by GB - a complaint or a statement or something along those lines. I don't expect to gain any other information from the court records, just the handwriting.

My thoughts are:

If we can be sure that Oakland GB and our GB are one and the same, then we will know that our GB claimed to have been born in Russia. It will leave the question of where he was from 1945-1961, what happened that caused what seemed like a fairly ordinary man, listed in directories, calling police, registered to vote, etc. to disappear for several years only to resurface in SF with MK, now a paranoid man who uses aliases and had to rely on others to 'support' him. Since Oakland GB traces back to the 30's, if they turn out to be the same GB, then I think George Brody, or some variation of it, was his real identity. It didn't seem like he was hiding at all while in Oakland.

If it turns out that Oakland GB is NOT our GB, and perhaps is just someone with the same name that died in the 40's (unlikely if he was born in 1905), then I think it's unlikely that George Brody was our GB's real name which would lead me to think he was involved in something shady and was hiding from something.

I am also hindered by the fact that I can't recall if we are missing 1945-1961 because those years weren't online to be searched, or if they were searched and he wasn't there. That's something I plan to go back and double check also, I need to read back through the threads and have started to but it takes awhile. It's a lot to read.

Oakland GB was also registered to vote so he must have become a citizen? I think there were some searches for those records also but can't recall if we found anything. I believe that for naturalization records he would have had to name someone he was going to be staying with or something along those lines. It could lead to where he was prior to Oakland, but it's useless if he was not our GB.

Good points. Was there a naturalization record found? Funny you mention the missing years...... I remember the anticipation waiting for the 1940 census to be released. Now I am wondering when the 1950 census will be made public.

Cubby,

There was a naturalization record found for someone whose name I forgot, but he changed his name to George Brody when he arrived in the us. He was in Boston at that time, I think 1921 but we didn't have much to decide if he was the same person, just a birthdate of 1905, from Russia and the fact that our GB mentioned family on the east coast. I don't think it was looked into any further.

I have been rereading the threads trying to piece this back together in my head, and I came across something else interesting that I had either forgotten about or hadn't seen before. On page 6 of the GB/MK thread, Raf had posted snippets from the Oakland Tribune of 3 articles related to MK's arrest and conviction. All 3 articles say she was a former nurse at Oakland Naval Hospital. So it is possible that if Oakland GB is our GB, that he could actually have met her in Oakland. At the time the articles were printed (1953) they gave her address as 1055 Fell St and that was the year she was listed twice in the city directory, once as MK at 1025 Fulton SF and again as K M Berghold at Fell St. That was her earliest appearance in the San Francisco directories that we have been able to find.

On the timeline it says she started working at Letterman in 1943. We know she was in Pennsylvania in 1942 so I'm wondering when she could have worked in Oakland.

I also found a military record for her on Ancestry, it doesn't give much info but says she became a lieutenant in 1949 and her "pay entry date" was 9/7/1943. I'm not sure what "pay entry date" means, I thought maybe it was the date of enlistment. I tried to google it and found where others had asked what the pay entry date was and got responses like "it depends" followed by a bunch of military jargon that made no sense to me.

I do know that Oakland Naval Hospital didn't open until 1942.

Just wanted to add the one with the naturalization record was Josef Wachbroit before changing his name to George Brody. He was listed on a ship manifest as having brown eyes when our GB had blue but apparently someone higher up on the page had brown eyes and everyone below had ditto marks. He was also listed as 5'0" at the age of 16 which does fit with Annasmon's description of him being short. I think that was the only possibility we found as far as immigration records went. This person did have a stepsister in Boston and a brother who came to the US later.

Good points. Was there a naturalization record found? Funny you mention the missing years...... I remember the anticipation waiting for the 1940 census to be released. Now I am wondering when the 1950 census will be made public.

OT: we may never, ever see the 1960. Apparently it was stored on magnetic tape reels -- and zero functioning readers exist today. This may be a myth but has the ring of truth.

I remember that naturalization record! Not the Eifee surname, though.

:seeya:

George Brody
United States Census, 1940
Name George Brody
Event Type Census
Event Date 1940
Event Place Belvedere Judicial Township, Los Angeles, California, United States
Gender Male
Age 48
Marital Status Married
Race (Original) White
Race White
Relationship to Head of Household (Original) Lodger
Relationship to Head of Household Lodger
Birthplace Russia
Birth Year (Estimated) 1892
Last Place of Residence Worcester, Massachusetts
Household
Role
Birthplace
Harry Brown Head M 52 Russia
Minnie Brown Wife F 51 Russia
Jeannette Brown Daughter F 28 Russia
George Brody Lodger

Just wanted to add the one with the naturalization record was Josef Wachbroit before changing his name to George Brody. He was listed on a ship manifest as having brown eyes when our GB had blue but apparently someone higher up on the page had brown eyes and everyone below had ditto marks. He was also listed as 5'0" at the age of 16 which does fit with Annasmon's description of him being short. I think that was the only possibility we found as far as immigration records went. This person did have a stepsister in Boston and a brother who came to the US later.

The brother who came to the US later, has he been researched? I wonder if there is any info to see if that family resembles our GB.

Anna'smom I found this male who went missing 1957 name is Albert Humphrey Wilkinson from British columbia
http://surrey.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=1473&languageId=1&contentId=7057

9fc6382f70d0a87a18004121489e2649.jpg
wonder if he could be George Brody.
Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Anna'smom I found this male who went missing 1957 name is Albert Humphrey Wilkinson from British columbia
http://surrey.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=1473&languageId=1&contentId=7057

9fc6382f70d0a87a18004121489e2649.jpg
wonder if he could be George Brody.
Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Thank you, Newfiedee. There is a certain resemblance, but I think we probably need more information on this person to assume he's a person of interest, especially since we have fairly strong evidence that the man calling himself George Brody was probably in the San Francisco Bay Area before the man in your photographs disappeared.

There is something called a 'substitute census' for 1950 which was released several years ago. I found it last night and had no idea it existed. I don't recall any mention of it here at WS/this thread so I don't know if GB has been researched.

The link I added in my previous post should be directly to this 1950 substitute census.

I just looked at the census substitute link and it appears to be a compilation of US city directories. There are some GBs in Oakland/Alameda in there. I can't see the detailed results not being a member. Maybe a look at those results might uncover something new about GB.

Sorry to say - this is not the same person. Not in the least bit. The cranial architecture and structure is completely different, particularly in the mandibular and maxillary regions.
Thanks
so much for your expert opinion. I knew the face was different, but I couldn't say just why.

Sending prayers of strength, love and comfort to all who love Anna.

Hoping and praying that answers come soon. We are thinking of you all.

I just happened to be on the unclaimed property database today searching my own name and for some reason I entered Brody’s name and it’s gone! Did someone claim it?

I just happened to be on the unclaimed property database today searching my own name and for some reason I entered Brody’s name and it’s gone! Did someone claim it?

Is there some kind of statute of limitations on these things? I don't know anything about it, but as far as I know, GB had no children. How do you search for unclaimed property?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back