Man Dragged off United Airlines/Flight Overbooked, April 2017

This article was the ABA Journal's top story of the week.
Lawyer for man dragged from plane sees lawsuit likelihood, wants to stop airline bullying
Demetrio said United and the city of Chicago should both be held responsible. Demetrio said passengers have long been bullied by United and other airlines. “Are we gonna continue being treated like cattle, bullied?” Demetrio asked.

Dao, who is Vietnamese, was discharged from the hospital Wednesday evening, but he did not attend the press conference. Demetrio said Dao has told him that the incident was more terrifying than fleeing Vietnam in the 1970s.
Lawyers interviewed by Reuters differed on whether Dao had a good case. Kenneth Quinn, a partner at the law firm Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman who represents airlines, pointed to the contract of carriage. Once Dao refused to leave, he said, the airline was justified in using force.

But New York lawyer Paul Callan saw potential tort claims. Though the contract of carriage allows passengers to be bumped from flights, it doesn’t call for the removal of passengers unless they are disruptive, he said.

Aviation attorney David Katzman told Law.com (sub. req.) that Dao’s potential claims include infliction of emotional distress and assault and battery. “A first-year lawyer” could win the case, he said.

Even Quinn thinks United will choose to settle. “I think United is likely to be found on legally solid ground, but has already lost in the court of public opinion, and will pay dearly for it,” he told Reuters.
http://www.abajournal.com/news/arti...ro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

I've thought that for awhile in many situations. In this one I think maybe it is more that a lot of people feel only certain people, like the wealthy for example, should be allowed to assert rights. It's almost an envy in some cases of anyone who is close to themselves in economic or social status who dares to stand up for something. There has also been this creeping subservience to and vehement defense of big business in this country that has developed over the years, as well as this pervasive attitude that people act "entitled" when they should simply take what they are given without complaint, even if they rightfully earned more.

I find it quite odd. To put a corporation over the dignity and rights of a human being is just odd to me. Especially when the "inconvenience" to the human can be great when you consider the stressors of travelling, being trapped in a metal tube for hours, the increasing lack of customer service and deterioration of air travel, the cost of missing work or dearly needed vacation days, or family events of various significance, or health-related appointments, etc., that a delayed flight can cause, balanced with the inconvenience to the airline, when they have to either up the price of getting someone to volunteer, or perhaps not overbook.

I mean United earned a net profit of 2.3 BILLION last year. But people are screaming about how they have the right and authority to have a passenger yanked off a plan because hell, they can do whatever they want. It's their policy! As if that makes it legal or just or ok. So the passenger who st6ands to lose a lot is a brat and only inconvenienced, but the rich corporation has rights that must be defended at all costs. Bizarre: http://atwonline.com/airline-financials/united-earns-23-billion-2016-net-profit

Me too. I would likely have simply left. That doesn't mean though, that had I chosen to stand my ground and remain in the seat I paid for, that the airline would've had the right to order me bodily moved from the airplane. If I started threatening, cursing at people, making nasty or racist or sexist remarks as I sat there, that's different.

Apparently, despite your knowledge of the law, you don't really know what you're talking about. :scared:

Yup. Once again, putting a cap on what the airlines is ALLOWED to offer would be an impermissible interference with commerce per the Commerce Clause of the constitution. I guess I can understand why they are confused but a cap protects the company. It doesn't bind them.

Yup. I sure do. And now we have a monopoly.

I don't think that's relevant to some!

So non-lawyers posting here should be able to understand these complex regulations and laws better than lawyers? I guess that's possible. But if our opinions don't seem that credible, which I get, how about this:

Judge Napolitano - judge, attorney and professor:

"By dislodging this passenger against his will, United violated its contractual obligation," Napolitano said. "He bought the ticket, he passed the TSA, he was in his seat, he has every right to stay there."
He said the man "absolutely" has a case against United if he files a lawsuit, because of the "inconvenience and public humiliation."
http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/04/...video-could-sue-airline-judge-napolitano-says

Napolitano is a "graduate of Princeton University and Notre Dame Law School. He was admitted to the New Jersey bar in 1975.[5] After law school, Napolitano entered private practice as a litigator. Napolitano first taught law for a brief period in 1980–1981 at Delaware Law School (then-Widener). Napolitano sat on the New Jersey bench from 1987 to 1995, becoming the state's youngest then-sitting Superior Court judge.
He resigned his judgeship in 1995 for private practice. He also served as an adjunct professor at Seton Hall University School of Law for 11 years from 1989–2000. Napolitano is a distinguished visiting professor at Brooklyn Law School where he teaches courses on advanced and introductory constitutional law and jurisprudence, and has begun a renewed endeavor to developing his natural law jurisprudence." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Napolitano#Early_life_and_judicial_and_acad emic_career

Aaron Podhurst - trial lawyer for aviation cases:

Trial lawyer Aaron Podhurst, who represents plaintiffs in aviation cases, said he believes Dao can make a strong civil case based on the assault and battery that appears to have occurred. United could be liable, and Dao could also sue Chicago authorities for use of excessive force, Podhurst said.
"This case is a very strong case for the passenger," Podhurst said. He added that he expects Dao would be able to secure a settlement.
[video]http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/13/news/companies/united-legal-issues/index.html[/video]

Andrew Harakas - head of aviation law group:

Passengers agree to a litany of terms in any airline's "contract of carriage," which they agree to when purchasing a ticket. But the agreement doesn't sign away the right to sue if the airline treats a passenger in a manner that breaches the law.
"If you're injured, or dragged off the airplane, or falsely arrested, you can sue," said Andrew Harakas, head of the aviation law group at Clyde & Co. [video]http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/13/news/companies/united-legal-issues/index.html[/video]

David Katzman - aviation lawyer:

"You could give this to a group of first-year lawyers and they could list all the claims this guy has," he said, naming intentional infliction of emotional distress in addition to assault and battery.
[video]http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/13/news/companies/united-legal-issues/index.html[/video]

Jens David Ohlin - professor of law and Dean at Cornell Law School:

Dao was not denied boarding. He was granted boarding and then involuntarily removed from the airplane. So Rule 25 does not apply
There is absolutely no provision for deplaning a seated passenger because the flight is oversold. And he was not removed due to being disorderly, so Rule 21 would not apply. And the flight was not oversold anyhow. Further, neither employee transportation nor oversold situations is listed as among the reasons that a passenger may be refused transport.
He had already boarded. He was not denied boarding, even though the plane was still boarding passengers. So he could not be denied transport.
The airline did not comply with its requirements, so it should be liable for the damages associated with their breach, including the injuries sustained by the police. http://www.newsweek.com/why-united-were-legally-wrong-deplane-dr-dao-583535

John Banzhaf - public interest law professor:

Having boarded and been seated, a passenger is generally entitled to keep a seat and remain on the flight, except in rare instances: e.g., a legitimate concern about terrorism, unruly or drunken behavior by the passenger, it is suddenly discovered that he is ill, is using a forged or stolen ticket, etc. Here, none of these rare exceptions applied, so the carrier had no right to eject him once he had validly boarded, says Banzhaf.
Here, since there clearly was no emergency, the passenger posed no threat and did not fight back, and there would have been room for addition security personnel to restrain him with less violence, and not literally drag him down the floor of the passenger cabin, a jury could easily find that the amount of force used was more than was reasonably necessary under the circumstances, and that the cabin crew should have taken whatever steps were necessary to see that the force used was no more than what was reasonable.
http://www.valuewalk.com/2017/04/united-airlines-eject-passengers/
:loveyou::loveyou::loveyou:

from above

"Lawyers interviewed by Reuters differed on whether Dao had a good case. Kenneth Quinn, a partner at the law firm Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman who represents airlines, pointed to the contract of carriage. Once Dao refused to leave, he said, the airline was justified in using force."

Ummm...you may wanna consider that comment as it specifically relates to Dao, sir.

:cow: :moo:

There are some lawyers that graduated from the bottom of their class. I think this lawfirm is getting an earful from some folks.

Our legislators need to restore some of the consumer protection regulations for air travel. Some may be too young to remember, but airlines used to be required to act more fairly towards consumers. If a flight was extremely late or cancelled, they had to refund your money so you could purchase a ticket on another airline. There were also restrictions on overbooking of flights.

Air travel is subsidized by taxpayers and it's time to restore their rights.

Really? So a rape victim's past sexual history is relevant? Or a mugging victim's habit of walking late at night? If a prostitute is murdered her history of arrests is relevant?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I
i, too, have been bewildered , as well. about his life history. Who cares?

He paid for a seat, got on, and ended up getting assaulted by rent a cops. That is it IMO.

Who cares if he had his wisdom teeth removed! Relevance your honor?

Rocco, it's not that simple, crew can be repositioned in a heart beat....their A/C may have been delayed for many reasons consequently arriving minutes to the flight closing out. At the end of the day deadheading crew will go head and fly 100/200/300 pax to their destination which does not equate/justify offloading 1 passenger.

What I dont get is it when it became apparent he was becoming a problem why did they just not open it to a couple of different passengers?

What I dont get is it when it became apparent he was becoming a problem why did they just not open it to a couple of different passengers?

:thinking:

Perhaps because the accountability and responsibility and authority level of those making the decisions were not in sync?

:dunno:

I wonder what the airline attendants and others at the levels that instigated this, that were instrumental in this, think of this fiasco and wonder what their backlash will be/has been from peers and corporate. IIRC, would most would be in a union to support them?

We may never know as in situations like this - where there is potential great liability from the company, one of the early directives from corporate when I experienced such... was not to discuss, and send all written communications that you have had on the subject to the legal team. That pretty much stops communications internally that could be used for a lawsuit, but I can't recall if that happened before or after our corporate lawsuit *issue* filed which had potential liabilities in the millions.

:thinking:

Perhaps because the accountability and responsibility and authority level of those making the decisions were not in sync?

:dunno:

I wonder what the airline attendants and others at the levels that instigated this, that were instrumental in this, think of this fiasco and wonder what their backlash will be/has been from peers and corporate. IIRC, would most would be in a union to support them?

We may never know as in situations like this - where there is potential great liability from the company, one of the early directives from corporate when I experienced such... was not to discuss, and send all written communications that you have had on the subject to the legal team. That pretty much stops communications internally that could be used for a lawsuit, but I can't recall if that happened before or after our corporate lawsuit *issue* filed which had potential liabilities in the millions.

The union representing United's pilots have already condemned the incident.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/lifestyle/a9274393/united-pilots-respond-david-dao-incident-statement/

You were incorrect in your wording/understanding.They were not "standby" crew. They were confirmed crew holding space onto the flight. The flight became overbooked at some point. I'm still curious to know when the crew was confirmed onto to the flight (before or during the boarding process).Either way, its an event that happens throughout the industry. Crews are rerouted to recover other potential cancelled flights that you yourself may have been booked on due to weather events, mechanicals, ground stops/atc, curfews, etc. As I mentioned above in previous posts, its happened to me during the boarding process. I handled it differently however. Experience counts for something in this industry.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Just wanna make sure I understand they had confirmed seats?

That makes it sound like they came to the gate super late.

How on a manifest does it indicate to the agent that these were crew members?

In terms of dynamics, unless they was a valid reason why airline employees are last minuting it - they more than anyone should know to get to the gate in a timely manner so they are not perceived as a no show and gate staff would fill the seats.

Has nothing to do with the hideous removal - but as far as the whole thing unfolded IMO if the crew showed up really late they were actually the precipitators of the sequence of events that then transpired.

From the agent's point of view, if true that they were on the manifest - it would be logical, at final call to assume that the agent believed, that for whatever reason the deadheading crew was not gonna make the fight. The agent would know that he/she would get static for letting an aircraft pushback, with four empty seats on a flight.

Would be interesting in terms of the trigger if they were on the manifest and arrived at the gate right before pushback.

Does anyone know if the flight would have departed on time if this whole mess had not happened?

Were the deadheading folks really late.

It would also be nice to know how the aircraft crew handled the solicit to deboard?

If for nothing else, to add clarity to the progression of events.

There might be other variables (nothing that makes what they did to him ok ) but other factors that influenced how it got into the mess it did.

neesaki said:
snipped by me...
It's just MOO, no tomato throwing please. :peace:

Oh heck - if no one will, I will! :tomato:

:laughing:

Oh heck - if no one will, I will! :tomato:

Uh Oh :doorhide: Oh never mind, go ahead and throw me a good one, Niner, right on the kisser!:giggle:
But you know I can't help it, eternal skeptic that I am. :sleuth: :seeya:

This is just getting more bizarre as it goes. The fact that it was a codeshare is huge.

Basically, code sharing means that airlines can use their name, in their computer system and book passengers on a flight operated by another airline.

It varies sometimes the plane will airline a sometimes airline b. The crew members will be from one or the other.

It's basically a "feeder" for traffic.

Its really like - you know those food companies (like taxis for food) where you call them and they will go pick up your food and delivery it from the restaurant you want.

How on earth could the food taxi (!) company be at fault if I get food poisoning from the restaurant??

Why on earth the CEO did not very gently mention this (not to look like he is avoiding things) but it is , , IMO, in this event quite significant.

It was not their crew that mishandled anything - but then I wonder if responsibility cause the gate agents were United?

I think once were talking about being inside an aircraft it is the flight crews "land" if you will, which then takes what occurred aboard republics crew supplied folks...................

This just added 18 months to the legal angle!!!!

moo

I see what you're saying... but... then might makes right and bullies win.
Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hiya Wyle :)

We can only choose our own actions, nobody else.

Nobody bullied me because nobody had to bully me. I understand what you mean and know that bullying happens, but not in my case. I was informed of what was needed and what was requested of me and I chose my action. It was handled really well, both times the attendants were genuinely apologetic and polite. Maybe I was exceptionally fortunate. I've since seen the many videos uploaded by passengers of jerky attendants - yikes.

I could have tried explaining to them why I deserved or needed to keep my seat, but I wasn't any more important or deserving than anyone else on the trip and it wasn't a big deal to me. I could have tried to negotiate with other passengers, I could have been belligerent, balked, argued, whined, begged, cried, lied and caused a ruckus, but that's not me because it does nobody any good. To be clear: I am no shrinking violet nor am I a martyr. I know people are individuals and some definitely try to bully in situations that are difficult, but in both those cases, I chose my action. I knew I could handle it outside of the immediate environment because to do it right then and there would serve no purpose but to delay everyone else. I was more than adequately compensated by both the airline and Amtrak and the people I had contact with were all professional and courteous. Thank you notes were exchanged and I still get the occasional card from one even though he retired years ago. :)

[FONT=&quot]Baldanza said that it was Republic Airlines fault that this incident transpired in the first place.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Somebody at Republic clearly knew they were sending that crew to the gate, but they didn’t get there until after the plane was bordered.”

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“Airport agents at most airlines are quite good at handling situations like this before the plane is booked and many customers are actually quite eager to give up their seat for a free trip or some cash…If that gate crew had the ability to create the four seats for the crew members before the flight got bordered, I don’t think we ever would of had this issue.”

[/FONT]
http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2017/04/13/republic-airlines-is-to-blame-for-united-airlines-incident-former-spirit-airlines-ceo.html

American airlines former CEO here

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/11/unit...-thing-former-american-airlines-ceo-says.html

Here are the top ten carriers in overall passenger satisfaction ratings

http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2016-north-america-airline-satisfaction-study

Here is another one

[h=4]Inside this year’s rating[/h][FONT=&quot]Below is the 2016 numerical ranking of the nation’s leading 12 airlines, according to the Airline Quality Rating, with the 2015 ranking in parentheses:[/FONT]

1. Alaska (5)
  2. Delta (3)
  3. Virgin America (1)
  4. JetBlue (2)
  5. Hawaiian (4)
  6. Southwest (6)
  7. SkyWest (7)
  8. United (8)
  9. American (10)
  10. ExpressJet (9)
  11. Spirit (13)
  12. Frontier (11)
[FONT=&quot]NOTE: The 2015 rating included 13 airlines. Envoy is not rated in 2016.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Information provided by ERAU and Wichita State University

https://www.dcourier.com/news/2017/apr/14/airline-quality-rating-report-released-just-time-u/[/FONT]

Exactly this. Thanks for your detailed observations, all of which I had wondered about as well.

If UA Express knew they were booking last minute "must ride" crew onto a flight and also knew the crew would be arriving late to the gate..a flight delay alert should have been posted for that flight departure and the gate agent should have been notified immediately. If the flight still showed scheduled to leave ontime, and the deadhead crew had not arrived at the gate by 15 mins prior to departure, I too would have assumed the that crew would be a no show. If you know you'll be waiting on a late arriving deadhead crew...post the delay. That way the gate agent could have additional time to solicit as well as initiate a later boarding time.
Jmo.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Just wanna make sure I understand they had confirmed seats?

That makes it sound like they came to the gate super late.

How on a manifest does it indicate to the agent that these were crew members?

In terms of dynamics, unless they was a valid reason why airline employees are last minuting it - they more than anyone should know to get to the gate in a timely manner so they are not perceived as a no show and gate staff would fill the seats.

Has nothing to do with the hideous removal - but as far as the whole thing unfolded IMO if the crew showed up really late they were actually the precipitators of the sequence of events that then transpired.

From the agent's point of view, if true that they were on the manifest - it would be logical, at final call to assume that the agent believed, that for whatever reason the deadheading crew was not gonna make the fight. The agent would know that he/she would get static for letting an aircraft pushback, with four empty seats on a flight.

Would be interesting in terms of the trigger if they were on the manifest and arrived at the gate right before pushback.

Does anyone know if the flight would have departed on time if this whole mess had not happened?

Were the deadheading folks really late.

It would also be nice to know how the aircraft crew handled the solicit to deboard?

If for nothing else, to add clarity to the progression of events.

There might be other variables (nothing that makes what they did to him ok ) but other factors that influenced how it got into the mess it did.

We are to believe no one knew ahead of time they were coming? They simply materialized at the airport? Um hm.

We are to believe no one knew ahead of time they were coming? They simply materialized at the airport? Um hm.

It just gets weirder- its not like this is some dinky airport United hubs out of there - so this notion that 4 people would saunter over and expect and an empty plane becomes more ludicrous.

It is Republics fault - but it was a codeshare with United so the likelihood that there would 4 empty seats is pretty dumb IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back