Identified! OH - Morgan Co., Skeletal remains near campground, Apr'17 - Joseph Frow

TedMac

Reaction score
https://www.whiznews.com/2017/04/skeletal-remains-found-mushroom-hunter-morgan-co/

Skeletal remains found by mushroom hunter in Morgan Co.

MORGAN COUNTY, Ohio- Authorities are investigating after a mushroom hunter in Morgan County found human skeletal remains.

According to the Morgan County Sheriff’s Office, the man called authorities on Saturday, April 15th after finding the remains at the AEP Recreation Area near Maple Grove Campsite G.

The man was reportedly walking in the woods searching for mushrooms and found the remains near a strip pit/high wall area.

Sheriff Douglas McGrath and deputies confirmed that the remains were human. Personal effects from the area were also collected.

The remains will be sent to the Licking County Coroner’s Office for an autopsy and possible identification. No further details were released.

"Personal effects were also collected"... I guess this doesn't include an ID though? Strange they wouldn't have ID/phone but would have other stuff with them. Unless it was a mugging turned murder. Also likely that since it was a campground that it could be someone who went out and died from exposure to the elements. I hope they ID the remains fairly quickly

Seems like mushroom pickers often find human remains ( thank goodness ) !
Wondering if that is because they look for dark coloured things that might be mushrooms, are careful to dodge poisonous ones, and they inspect the ground closely?
imo,speculation.

Wondering if that is because they look for dark coloured things that might be mushrooms, are careful to dodge poisonous ones, and they inspect the ground closely?
imo,speculation.
Also because they venture into more obscure places off the normal trails in their search. These obscure places are more likely where bodies would be dumped

My great grandma and grandpa found a body while mushroom hunting in Vinton County. It was about 40 years ago and they refused to talk about it or go to LE. To this day all the family knows is that it was somewhere in the Richland Furnace area.

"Personal effects were also collected"... I guess this doesn't include an ID though? Strange they wouldn't have ID/phone but would have other stuff with them. Unless it was a mugging turned murder. Also likely that since it was a campground that it could be someone who went out and died from exposure to the elements. I hope they ID the remains fairly quickly

Even if it did include ID, they'd likely wait for the autopsy and official determination before saying anything. "Possible identification" sounds to me like there's at least a clue.

imo,speculation.

Seriously, them and ginseng hunters have a knack for this. Perhaps their search methods need to be implemented into the search methods used for missing people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously, them and ginseng hunters have a knack for this. Perhaps their search methods need to be implemented into the search methods used for missing people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinking exactly that!
Maybe during off season mushroom picking, or ginseng hunting, some of them could be hired to help searchers,, imo.

This is a very low income part of Ohio. When there are no jobs, things like mushroom (or ginseng) hunting may be the only way to scrape up a little cash.We did it as kids.

I've seen mushroom foragers down on hands and knees to make sure they didn't miss something. Not surprising they would occasionally stumble across remains.

Not sure how you could adapt that to a large-scale search, though.

42-year-old Joseph Lawrence Frow, aka “Jay,” was dropped off, in the AEP Recreation Land, on Monday, May 23, to go fishing for a few hours. It was reported, then, that Mr. Frow knew he was going to be picked up at around 5 p.m. that evening. Joseph’s people said they waited around the drop-off point for most of the evening, returned the next day, and looked for him some more. After many failed attempts to find Joseph, a call was placed to the Sheriff’s Office to report Joseph missing.

Mr. Frow was last seen wearing a Blue Tee-Shirt with the words “SAFE RITE” written on the front. He was also wearing a black pair of pants and a brown, Browning baseball-style, cap. Joseph also had a camo backpack, Bowie knife and a hand held Walkie Talkie. Mr. Frow is a white male. He is partly bald, has blue eyes, is 5’7” in height, and weighs 162 pounds.

http://www.mchnews.com/news/human-r...cle_e44bff2c-2374-11e7-8409-0b0316b96f46.html

42-year-old Joseph Lawrence Frow, aka “Jay,” was dropped off, in the AEP Recreation Land, on Monday, May 23, to go fishing for a few hours. It was reported, then, that Mr. Frow knew he was going to be picked up at around 5 p.m. that evening. Joseph’s people said they waited around the drop-off point for most of the evening, returned the next day, and looked for him some more. After many failed attempts to find Joseph, a call was placed to the Sheriff’s Office to report Joseph missing.

Mr. Frow was last seen wearing a Blue Tee-Shirt with the words “SAFE RITE” written on the front. He was also wearing a black pair of pants and a brown, Browning baseball-style, cap. Joseph also had a camo backpack, Bowie knife and a hand held Walkie Talkie. Mr. Frow is a white male. He is partly bald, has blue eyes, is 5’7” in height, and weighs 162 pounds.

http://www.mchnews.com/news/human-r...cle_e44bff2c-2374-11e7-8409-0b0316b96f46.html
This link now goes to an article of human remains found at AEP on Saturday.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I can't find whether the remains have been positively identified. This article does say they believe them to belong to a man who went missing last year while on a fishing trip.

http://www.newsandsentinel.com/news/local-news/2017/04/skeletal-remains-may-be-identified/
The article says, "Additional personal items were found with the remains, but McGrath would not yet release the name of the man he believes the remains belong to until further remains are located and all are tested for DNA."

So it could be a while.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Is there another thread on this? I swear I posted something a couple of weeks ago on a thread about this... unless I'm getting cases mixed up (could very well be possible).

It was a camping area in OH too, and the remains were ID'd as a male and we were wondering if it could be Crystal Corbin, who is missing in Morgan county.

Is there another thread on this? I swear I posted something a couple of weeks ago on a thread about this... unless I'm getting cases mixed up (could very well be possible).

It was a camping area in OH too, and the remains were ID'd as a male and we were wondering if it could be Crystal Corbin, who is missing in Morgan county.
Pretty sure that's a different but very similar case.

Pretty sure that's a different but very similar case.

Thank you... it's amazing how many people can just disappear (or unidentified remains found)... :(

[h=1]Human remains found in Morgan County identified[/h]
McCONNELSVILLE - The skeletal remains discovered at a campsite in Morgan County several months ago have been identified as a man from McConnelsville who was reported missing almost a year prior.

Joseph Frow, 42, was reported missing on May 24, 2016, said Morgan County Sheriff Douglas McGrath. He had been dropped off to go fishing and his remains were found by a local mushroom hunter on April 15 in the AEP Recreation Area.
http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder....ins-found-morgan-county-identified/487562001/

RIP Jay :rose:

Human remains found in Morgan County identified

McCONNELSVILLE - The skeletal remains discovered at a campsite in Morgan County several months ago have been identified as a man from McConnelsville who was reported missing almost a year prior.

Joseph Frow, 42, was reported missing on May 24, 2016, said Morgan County Sheriff Douglas McGrath. He had been dropped off to go fishing and his remains were found by a local mushroom hunter on April 15 in the AEP Recreation Area.
http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder....ins-found-morgan-county-identified/487562001/

Joseph Frow's thread here: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...AEP-Recreation-Land-Morgan-County-23-May-2016

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back