Belize - Francesca Matus, 52, & Drew De Voursney, 36, murdered, Corozal, 25 Apr 2017

[bbm]

maybe witnesses at the bar saw them pulling money out of their wallets, even a bartender or waitress ... or maybe a friend knew they had cash for some reason ... IMO

After four years living in Belize for half the year, would they be stupid enough to be flashing wads of cash at a local bar?

I think not. Furthermore, it was an ex-pat restaurant/bar, so I'm guessing people paid with credit.

[bbm] and then what, they towed the car???

When I read about the brownish stains, I automatically thought blood. Initially it was said that autopsy could not be completed because of decomposition, then all of a sudden we read that they were strangled. When Drew's brother was on the plane to see for himself, police needed FBI intervention to stop their plan to immediately cremate the bodies. When the brother did arrive, police said he could not see the body because it is toxic. Police seem to be doing everything they can to sweep this under the carpet, hide the facts, and avoid doing anything to resolve this double murder.

I'm pretty sure that "they had a lot of money on them" was a deliberate lie, and I think that the lazy Belize police have lied about other details as well.

The stolen battery is curious. Perhaps that's something that can be sold on the street, but who steals an entire car just for the battery? That's ridiculous. Wasn't one of the doors on the vehicle tampered with? If that's the case, the battery could have been stolen at the restaurant.

Today police are implying that someone from the ex-pat community is responsible for the murders. They haven't directly stated it as a fact, but they are certainly implying that Belize citizens are not responsible.

well let's not guess ... let's hypothesize based on facts

all we have now is the police statement

After four years living in Belize for half the year, would they be stupid enough to be flashing wads of cash at a local bar?

I think not. Furthermore, it was an ex-pat restaurant/bar, so I'm guessing people paid with credit.

When I read the published statement from the Belize Commander (or whatever his title is, can't remember exactly now), I did not get the impression he was blaming members of Francesca's community for her death, nor did I take his words to be insinuating that it was someone in her community for her death -- all I read was that members of her community were reportedly aware that she'd recently received some kind of threats (that she did not report to police) and he felt/?speculated that had any of them reported these threats to police that maybe she'd be alive today.

Interesting that once LE in Belize realized the seriousness of this crime involving victims from both the US and Canada, meaning they would be subject to questions from representatives from both countries, the implausible "robbery" story they first tried to peddle was abandoned.

Maybe this time, they might actually find themselves accountable for actually trying to solve this crime. That's if they care at all about their tourism and expat retirement investments.

Also interesting that as soon as they realized the press this was getting in both countries, the theory has changed to someone within their own circle being responsible. A foreigner of course. :rolleyes:

Wonder what the perp(s) needed with a couple of cell phones and a car battery? :waitasec:

MOO

http://wkrn.com/2017/05/03/marine-from-nashville-girlfriend-found-strangled-to-death-in-belize/
Raby says they went to middle school and attended church together and were also on the same sports teams.

“Drew’s nickname was Vicious D. He and I were kind of partners in crime. We both played sports and Drew was always aggressive and that’s how he got that name.”
He says DeVoursney had an adventurous spirit and that the disabled vet fell in love with Belize.

“He wanted to eventually move down there. He wanted to develop the property, had 11 acres, build some houses vacation spots.”
Raby told News 2 DeVoursney also had dreams of starting a charter fishing company
and that he had just completed dive school.
“There’s no rhyme or reason to it. They killed them and left their car in a field and left their bodies in a field,” said Raby
rbbm

[bbm]

curious as to which case this is?

Most temporary residents just withdraw cash from their their home bank, they don't open an account at a Belize bank. So I can't see her withdrawing cash from her Canadian account to carry it on the flight. I wonder if she did some business on a cash basis, and she had to carry it to Canada to deposit, since you can't mak e cash deposits offshore.

However, it's unusual to carry lots of cash, robbers know it's more likely to be found in the home and will attack there, unless they want to steal the vehicle.

There was a Canadian killed in Panama, turned out to have been his trusted Swiss business partner. The case was solved by a private detective hired by his family.

Wow, LE in Belize is taking a beating from the folks here. They certainly may have jumped the gun with the "robbery" motive but otherwise they seem to be forthcoming with information. I don't post much but I've followed dozens of cases on here where for years US LE releases virtually no information concerning a crime while the case grows colder and colder and everyone is still saying they're dotting their i's and crossing their t's. There is bad and corrupt policing everywhere but I don't think it's a given just because they're a third-world country.

Her Linkedin

I believe she has a vacation home rental in Belize.
Found this facebook page, that I believe it's hers, same image as her home in Consejo, Corozal, and I believe it's her in a couple of pictures.
https://www.facebook.com/WhisperingPalmsBelize/

and YouTube videos advertising the place.

I wonder if she withdrew cash from the Bank a few days prior to her scheduled trip back to Canada, and that's how the police knows she had money.

Apologies for quoting my own post, but turns out that yes, indeed, that is her Facebook "work" page, and she owns that VACATION HOME RENTAL.

The person in custody is her tenant, who was living in the ground floor. So far they only said goes by the name of "John" and haven't been seen for days.

I'll try to figure out how to post the link to the video news with all the details.

really strange ... on that FB page is a Francesca with a different last name whose photos look nothing like our victim IMO but yet ... coincidence that there are two ladies with the same first name whose work, residence, and hometown are also identical? is it her with black hair?

eta: it's definitely not her with black hair ... quite a coincidence though

Her Linkedin

I believe she has a vacation home rental in Belize.
Found this facebook page, that I believe it's hers, same image as her home in Consejo, Corozal, and I believe it's her in a couple of pictures.
https://www.facebook.com/WhisperingPalmsBelize/

and YouTube videos advertising the place.

I wonder if she withdrew cash from the Bank a few days prior to her scheduled trip back to Canada, and that's how the police knows she had money.

did they give a last name?

Apologies for quoting my own post, but turns out that yes, indeed, that is her Facebook "work" page, and she owns that VACATION HOME RENTAL.

The person in custody is her tenant, who was living in the ground floor. So far they only said goes by the name of "John" and haven't been seen for days.

I'll try to figure out how to post the link to the video news with all the details.

well let's not guess ... let's hypothesize based on facts

all we have now is the police statement

Do you believe that a 52 year old female foreigner who lived in Belize, and who described the country as "lawless", would flash a wad of cash in a restaurant during dinner?

nothing's impossible or even improbable where human behaviour is concerned

Do you believe that a 52 year old female foreigner who lived in Belize, and who described the country as "lawless", would flash a wad of cash in a restaurant during dinner?

So according to the Belize Staff Sarg. who did the interview, the doctor who performed the autopsy, and concluded that they died by strangulation, performed the autopsy there at the site they were found. This is bizarre. How can you do a proper autopsy out in the field?

Wow, LE in Belize is taking a beating from the folks here. They certainly may have jumped the gun with the "robbery" motive but otherwise they seem to be forthcoming with information. I don't post much but I've followed dozens of cases on here where for years US LE releases virtually no information concerning a crime while the case grows colder and colder and everyone is still saying they're dotting their i's and crossing their t's. There is bad and corrupt policing everywhere but I don't think it's a given just because they're a third-world country.

The Belize police wanted to cremate the body while Drew's brother was on the plane heading down there and the FBI stepped in to ensure that the body was intact when the brother arrived. That's a bit over the top, isn't it?

Not that I think she did but to play devil's advocate, Scotty's Bar is an ex-pat bar and that night there was her farewell party before her return to Canada, as has been reported in MSM...so I'd think she likely knew everyone there and wouldn't have taken the same safety precautions had it been a bar more geared to non ex-pats, etc

It's also possible the statement was made that she/they had lot of money on them/in their possession at the bar, because when their bodies were found they still had a large amount of money on them (if robbery hadn't been the motive, which I don't believe it was)

Live Streaming Video on YouTube (it's offline)
[video]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC823EN3FaKJ4Pk_ZIcp34LA/live[/video]

News 5 Live Video on Facebook

Click "play" and wait for a bit to start playing. After the ads, the News starts around the 10:50 mark.

https://www.facebook.com/News5Live/videos/1279848548802680/

Great find, thanks Hazel!
Did i hear correctly something about the tenant flying a plane to look around at what was going on, approx. @ 14: 53?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back