OR OR - Portland, WhtFem 35-55, UP9936, suicide @ hotel, surgical scars Lft knee/Rt breast, Dec'94

I'm seeing different coloring between Karen and the UID... Karen was a redhead w/ blue eyes... eyes darken after death though. Bone structure also looks different to me, and Karen seems to have a slightly unusual eye shape - "puppy dog eyes."

Is it kind of weird to anyone else that, including "Mary Anderson" of Seattle, there are these two unidentified female suicide victims who died within a couple yrs. of each other in the Pacific Northwest, with both women choosing to commit the act in a hotel room of a very swanky hotel? Both seemed to like Nordstrom, both provided phony names to the hotel (though we don't know nearly enough about this Jane Doe's alibi or personal possessions as we do Mary's) and both chose to die wearing an austere, yet elegant, all-black outfit. Hmmm...

Is it kind of weird to anyone else that, including "Mary Anderson" of Seattle, there are these two unidentified female suicide victims who died within a couple yrs. of each other in the Pacific Northwest, with both women choosing to commit the act in a hotel room of a very swanky hotel? Both seemed to like Nordstrom, both provided phony names to the hotel (though we don't know nearly enough about this Jane Doe's alibi or personal possessions as we do Mary's) and both chose to die wearing an austere, yet elegant, all-black outfit. Hmmm...

I'm not necessarily seeing anything weird. The fact that they were both in the PNW with bags from Nordstrom isn't odd at all, given that there were two major department stores in the region: Nordstrom and Bon Marché (now Macy's). Also, the Portland Inn was a Day's Inn (and looks every bit of one, according to the outside photos), so not exactly swanky.

Good point... so many suicides out there, and a lot of them in major cities, unfortunately. I also think the way women choose to "go out" vs. how men do (i.e. Lyle Stevik) can be very different. The most elaborate one I've come across was Annandale Jane Doe. But, then again, I've seen UID suicide cases where the woman set herself on fire (Baltimore), or jumped off an overpass (CA). You just never know, but I think it says a lot about the person and their preferences in life.

Eye color is off (green vs. brown) but everything else seems to match up and she does resemble the morgue photos. Carol only has DNA entered and the UID only has dentals.

There is a Facebook page for Carol. Note that the UID had surgical scars and Carol apparently did not:

https://www.facebook.com/MissingCarolAnnSmith/

‪
#‎Missing‬ Carol Ann Smith - since June 6, 1994 - from Roanoke, Virginia (Roanoke County)

Carol was last seen watering the flowers at her home in Roanoke, Virginia on the morning of June 6, 1994. Her family has not heard from her since. What happened
to Carol?

Carol would not have willingly left her two young children. There has been no activity on her bank account since she was last seen.

Carol wears a plain, gold wedding band. She has no known physical marks, scars, birthmarks or tattoos.

If I had to guess, I'd say she was murdered by her husband: https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=wQcGAAAAIBAJ&pg=6984,2618821&hl=en

I'm following a few cases of unidentifiable suicide victims in hotels. One question keep coming to mind. How did they get there? They obviously didn't park their car in the parking lot because that would be matched right away. And it seems like if they live in the general vicinity it would be on the news and those involved in the case would recognize them. So does that mean these people methodically planned to travel far away from home in a way that couldn't be traced?

I'm following a few cases of unidentifiable suicide victims in hotels. One question keep coming to mind. How did they get there? They obviously didn't park their car in the parking lot because that would be matched right away. And it seems like if they live in the general vicinity it would be on the news and those involved in the case would recognize them. So does that mean these people methodically planned to travel far away from home in a way that couldn't be traced?

My guess is taxis or public transportation in some cases. IIRC, "Mary Anderson" in Seattle took a cab to the hotel where she killed herself.

What about... https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/5178/0/
She disappeared before her 40th birthday. No body was found. Man was charged and jailed. If this Jane doe is Julia, then she committed suicide in the days just after her 50th birthday. If it was her, she was a real estate agent who had reason to hide, and a guilty conscience could have led to suicide. Real estate agents can afford nose jobs also. I think the only difference in the photos are that the nose is thinner in the older person. Noses are hard to compare also because of figure in repose and viewing angle. The eyebrow ridges are very prominent in both women. No offense to anyone, just speculation.

Side to side

929bcbbf42653bbf91e6b180a94af610.jpg
d6044ea2264a102fe4ebb981e1bf074f.jpg

What about... https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/5178/0/
She disappeared before her 40th birthday. No body was found. Man was charged and jailed. If this Jane doe is Julia, then she committed suicide in the days just after her 50th birthday. If it was her, she was a real estate agent who had reason to hide, and a guilty conscience could have led to suicide. Real estate agents can afford nose jobs also. I think the only difference in the photos are that the nose is thinner in the older person. Noses are hard to compare also because of figure in repose and viewing angle. The eyebrow ridges are very prominent in both women. No offense to anyone, just speculation.
However, as I see which could be a big rule out is that Julia has blue eyes and JD has brown tho..

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

I would definitely submit that potential match! While it is far away, there is a strong resemblance and the timeline matches up well. She is not in the current rule out list and there is no DNA on file which would have perhaps allowed on automatic match. Great suggestion!
Current Ruleouts:
First Name Last Name Year of Birth State LKA
Susan Adams 1947 Idaho
SUZANNE ARBELL 1931 California
JULIEANNE BAUER 1952 California
Dona Bayerl 1940 Wisconsin
Rose Cole 1956 California
Katheryne Eggleston 1971 Oregon
Joyce Hess 1920 Oregon
Suzanne Justis 1950 Oregon
Teresa Peroni 1955 Oregon
Lisa Scheer 1962 New York
Billie Willard 1941 North Carolina

Bump

1265UFOR

Date of Discovery: October 18, 1994
Location of Discovery: Portland, Multnomah County, Oregon
Date of Death: 12 hours prior
State of Remains: Recognizable face
Cause of Death: Suicide

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 35-55 years old
Race: White
Sex: Female
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 130 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown; 12 inches long
Eye Color: Brown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Single pierced ears, no earrings. Vertically oriented, well-healed surgical scar on the lateral right breast in the anterior axillary line, measuring 1-1/4" in length. C-shaped scar on the left knee; appears to be surgical in origin, measures approx. 1-1/2" in length.

Identifiers
Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Available
DNA: Not Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Black sweater, black underwear, black bra, and black knee high nylon socks.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Metal-rimmed eyeglasses and a Nordstrom'sshopping bag.

Circumstances of Discovery
The victim was found in her hotel room at the Portland Inn, which she had checked into using a fictitious name.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Multnomah County Sheriff's Office
Agency Contact Person: Dr. Veronica Vance
Agency Phone Number: 503-251-2402
Agency Email: Unknown
Agency Case Number: 94-2962

Agency Name: Oregon State Police
Agency Contact Person: Dr. Veronica Vance
Agency Phone Number: (971) 673-8200
Agency Email: Unknown
Agency Case Number: 94-2962

NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: 9936

Information Source(s)
NamUs

Admin Notes
Added: 3/14/2015; Last Updated:6/12/2018

Maybe a bit of a stretch, but what about Barbara Seigal? She disappeared near the anniversary of her husband's death which could indicate that she was in emotional distress and her face looks somewhat similar. She also had a scar on her left knee like Jane Doe. There's a time and hair texture discrepancy though. She'd also fall on the higher end of the age range.
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

10120_438582.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back