NY NY - Manhattan, East River, WhtFem 12-18, 201UFNY, Skunkjam/Perfect Thyroid T-shirt, May'00

Boxers and lesbians??? My son's high school girlfriend would be interested to know that.

Boxers and sports bra says to me she's probably athletic. I wouldn't even say tomboy.

could be true. but i dont know of many straight girls who wear boxers. yes, some do. but i dont know any.

Very good points here. I'm just speculating, but considering that our Jane Doe could have been 12, or 13, I think that there is also a chance that she could've worn a sports bra and boxers for comfort. Some kids that age honestly don't care about that sort of thing, regardless of their sexual orientation.

These also could've been the only clothes she could afford, either on the run, or just in general.

I have no idea on matches for this UID, but I grew up in Poughkeepsie and vividly recall Perfect Thyroid playing around the area in the 90's. Until this thread, I hadn't thought of them in a good 15 years. I never attended any of their shows, but they were popular with teenagers and I remember that they often attracted a certain type of kid, whom we would have called "skaters" or "alternatives" in the 90's. You would actually refer to a kid that way, "Oh, she's alternative." It was not uncommon at all for these girls to wear boys' clothes, especially the huge, baggy "skater" jeans and cargo pants. The JNCO brand, if you're familiar with it, was very popular and they eventually made pants for women that we called "girly JNCO's." But lots of girls just wore the boy pants, even the kind with 36-inch leg openings or whatever they were. They were enormous. And plenty of girls wore boxer shorts, it was considered cool to have them showing over the (very low) waistband of one's huge pants. Sports bras were very popular as well; I was large-busted for my age and very much appreciated the way they "flattened" me, but have always been very secure in both my gender and my sexuality. Just some thoughts from a local who could be only a few years older than this poor girl.

Boxers and lesbians??? My son's high school girlfriend would be interested to know that.

Boxers and sports bra says to me she's probably athletic. I wouldn't even say tomboy.

I'm certainly not saying she was/wasn't, nor that straight girls can't wear boxers too. I'm about what her age though, and I have had many, many lesbian friends that wore boxers and no straight friends that did (though I did play sports too). I'm thinking in that day and age boxers on a girl were less common than today (girls slept in them as shorts, but did not wear them under clothes)... IMO the world has certainly liberalized in the last 15 years, especially on gay issues. I wonder if she isn't reported missing? Parents thought she was being "rebellious" when she ran away. Just assumed she was living the life she wanted to? It seems a few cases that have been solved/on the verge, have been of kids/adults not reported (tammy/cali, jason/grateful is still pending, suzanne sevakis).

Just some thoughts! Certainly no offense and not meaning to stereotype or anything.

I have no idea on matches for this UID, but I grew up in Poughkeepsie and vividly recall Perfect Thyroid playing around the area in the 90's. Until this thread, I hadn't thought of them in a good 15 years. I never attended any of their shows, but they were popular with teenagers and I remember that they often attracted a certain type of kid, whom we would have called "skaters" or "alternatives" in the 90's. You would actually refer to a kid that way, "Oh, she's alternative." It was not uncommon at all for these girls to wear boys' clothes, especially the huge, baggy "skater" jeans and cargo pants. The JNCO brand, if you're familiar with it, was very popular and they eventually made pants for women that we called "girly JNCO's." But lots of girls just wore the boy pants, even the kind with 36-inch leg openings or whatever they were. They were enormous. And plenty of girls wore boxer shorts, it was considered cool to have them showing over the (very low) waistband of one's huge pants. Sports bras were very popular as well; I was large-busted for my age and very much appreciated the way they "flattened" me, but have always been very secure in both my gender and my sexuality. Just some thoughts from a local who could be only a few years older than this poor girl.

lol me too, early 90's kid and i owned some jnco's. i even wore some boxers to peek over the top but as a rule, when we (me and my friends) did that, we wore a halter top w it. i even made a pair of modified "jnco" type pants and sewed a floral materiel around the waist to mimic boxers and made a matching halter. i also cut off some dazzey dukes and sewed lace to the bottom so you couldn actually see my *advertiser censored*. ha! but i always wore panties underneath and most straight girls, "girled it up" a bit. this one had a baggy band t shirt, baggy pants, boxers and sports bra. all of the above may be true (tomboy, couldnt afford anything else, etc) identitfying as male or being lesbian were just other suggestions :)

lol me too, early 90's kid and i owned some jnco's. i even wore some boxers to peek over the top but as a rule, when we (me and my friends) did that, we wore a halter top w it. i even made a pair of modified "jnco" type pants and sewed a floral materiel around the waist to mimic boxers and made a matching halter. i also cut off some dazzey dukes and sewed lace to the bottom so you couldn actually see my *advertiser censored*. ha! but i always wore panties underneath and most straight girls, "girled it up" a bit. this one had a baggy band t shirt, baggy pants, boxers and sports bra. all of the above may be true (tomboy, couldnt afford anything else, etc) identitfying as male or being lesbian were just other suggestions :)

I think they're all great suggestions. I just don't see anything that unusual about a girl wearing boys' clothes in that era. I'm older than she is; I was already in my 20's by the time her body was found. But when I was in high school in the early-mid nineties, I mostly wore men's shirts and many of my friends did too. I usually bought them from the clearance rack in Old Navy, Gap, Eddie Bauer, places like that. We didn't have Walmart or Target then. It was the stores in the mall or nothing, LOL.

Wearing boxer shorts as a girl back then was definitely a thing... it was a way of going "commando," and the band of it was like an accessory. It also helped hold your pants up. Remember, skinny jeans and the like we're not invented... we just got out of the overalls and bell bottoms super/flairs. Her clothes are consistent with the Ska culture at the time.
Sports bras were more comfortable- it was also common.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/smith_jacqueline.htmlThis may be a long shot, but I haven't seen Jacqueline Ashley Smith being mentioned as a possible match. She went missing from Brooklyn in August 1999. Age is within range of UID and height is an inch off. It doesn't list if the UID had any jewelry on when found, where Jacqueline had her ears pierced numerous times.

For some reason my computer is not letting me download pics to show a comparison. I do think they kind of resemble each other. Let me know what you think.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/smith_jacqueline.htmlThis may be a long shot, but I haven't seen Jacqueline Ashley Smith being mentioned as a possible match. She went missing from Brooklyn in August 1999. Age is within range of UID and height is an inch off. It doesn't list if the UID had any jewelry on when found, where Jacqueline had her ears pierced numerous times.

For some reason my computer is not letting me download pics to show a comparison. I do think they kind of resemble each other. Let me know what you think.

I would call it in at this point. I thought it was odd that the older pic of Jackie looks like the artist reconstruction of the UID. Sad that somebodies kid ended up this way...

I would call it in at this point. I thought it was odd that the older pic of Jackie looks like the artist reconstruction of the UID. Sad that somebodies kid ended up this way...

I thought the same thing about the age reconstruction looked like the UID too... I will send an email and see what happens. I noticed Jacqueline's NamUs profile says that DNA wasn't submitted.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back