OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) - #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible that the truck with the tracking device belonged to someone else at the time of the murders? Then that person sold it to JM? BCI pokes at JM with the polygraph, and maybe they thought he would drive to the previous owner's place to talk to them about the questioning?

Not that it is impossible, but i find it very hard to believe that a man would kill or be involved in killing his own sister, his niece, and 2 nephews. Then go on to kill his b.i.l. his brother, and their cousin.

Imho, this was a event to eliminate the R's as either partners, or competition. Tracking JM was probably more along the line of connecting someone else he is dealing with that may be involved.

The likelihood that one or more person's can kill 8 people at 4 different locations in more or less a 5 hour window, without obvious evidence being left behind, and those persons not being pros, is slim to none.

Add into the fact that these same people were on scene talking to police immediately afterward and you can almost eliminate slim.

Anybody think Mr. Manley is going to be a reluctant witness ? I hope he gets a lawyer quickly.

Now that he and JW are connected with the phone call at 2 a.m., I wonder if we will learn more with regard to motive ?

Anybody think Mr. Manley is going to be a reluctant witness ? I hope he gets a lawyer quickly.

Now that he and JW are connected with the phone call at 2 a.m., I wonder if we will learn more with regard to motive ?

There is no "connection" yet. LM made a statement claiming that the police CLAIMED there was a TEXT, not a phone call, at 2 a.m.

<mod snip>

Authorities have executed several dozen search warrants in the lengthy investigation. One of the most recent was issued in April and allowed investigators to put a tracking device on a truck driven by James Manley, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer, which obtained a copy of the warrant.
The warrant indicated that investigators believe the truck was used in connection with an aggravated murder or by a person intending such a crime, but it doesn't specify a connection to the Rhoden homicide investigation, and it doesn't name the man as a suspect, the newspaper reported.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/evidence-tampering-charge-in-probe-of-ohio-family-massacre/

Latest story from the Portsmouth Daily Times, who has a copy of the original complaint against JM for tampering, etc.

http://portsmouth-dailytimes.com/news/16029/development-in-rhoden-murder-case

&#8220;James Thomas Manley did unlawfully, on or about the 28th day of April, 2017, at the County of Pike and State of Ohio, knowing that an official proceeding or investigation is in progress, or is about to be or likely to be instituted, alter, destroy, conceal, or remove any record, document or thing with purpose to impair its value or availability as evidence in such proceeding or investigation, in violation of Section 2921. 12 (A) (1) of the Ohio Revised Code.&#8221;

JM's truck isn't as much an issue in this case, JMO, it was his activity. LE wanted to see where he was going. Seems they wanted to apply some pressure and see where JM went to discuss it. It certainly seemed enough to give LE what they needed to get search warrants for the Wagner and Brown properties.

The article also repeats DeWine's office calling Manley a "witness", not a POI.

The article makes it sound like they he killed someone or was going to kill someone. I wonder if LE thinks he knows who and LE thinks he was/is going to kill them.

If i found a tracking device i would remove it to.

About the custody thing. I myself have been through a custody battle and know personally what a "living hell" it is. My ex was a dealer/user and I couldn't prove it. My child was exposed to this and it was very frustrating to prove. We went through years in this battle, and there were times that murdering him to end the suffering of me and my child and family ran through my mind. That being said, it only ran through my mind. I eventually got custody (than God!). So I know how emotional things can get and how unfair you can feel with the process.
There were a few things that you have to have for your child that are required by the state for you to get custody. Both parents homes require a seperate bedroom for the child, good home environment, well balanced meals, two parents is better, background checks on everyone involved, good job, medical insurance for the child, etc, etc. Also state will check out the physiactiric background of the parents. Interview the child, etc.
IMO this may have been a reason for the "New" home for Dana, HMR, and Crjr. Newer, bigger, nicer, home with no "grows" around. Maybe the Rhoden's or Wagner's threatened to go to court over the child's custody?
I didn't know either family, but from what I've read the Rhoden's were a very proud and family based family. They wouldn't have given up one of their own without a fight, and they were fighter's. It seems the Wagner's had more money and influence than the Rhoden's. So why would the Wagner's request HMR to just sign our her rights to SR? And why in the world, would the Wagner's think she would? Sounds like each family maybe had something "on" each other that would keep them going to court and settling this legally. I could see CRsr becoming furious over this! As well as the rest of his family.
Another thing I thought of is the reason there was no father listed for KyR. Maybe HMR didn't want to go through something like this again in the future. No father listed without dna proof and the only parent is HMR.
Just some of my thoughts.

imagejpeg

This article has some analysis of the tampering charge from a legal expert

http://www.wcpo.com/news/crime/brot...ssacre-victim-chsrged-with-evidence-tampering

Martin Pinales, a WCPO legal expert, said the charges may depend on how badly Manley damaged the device, if at all.

"If I found a piece of equipment on my car that didn't belong, I would take it off as well," Pinales said. "You can't destroy it. You can't put it on the neighbor's car and have the police follow the wrong car around. But certainly, I don't think it is an obstruction."

It's also worth noting that the same devices are used by private detectives, following cheating spouses, etc. Technically, LE can't claim JM was deliberately tampering or obstructing, unless the tracking device had a label on it identifying it as belonging to Ohio BCI or whomever placed it there.

We drove there and you are right about the wilderness. We traveled many many miles through northern Canada and Yukon Territory with no cell phone service. There was not even any power lines strung beside the highway like you would normally see here.

We were worried about running out of gasoline between gas stations, so we would ask every time we stopped for fuel how far the next gas station was. We were told many times "Don't worry there is a really good sized town about 100 miles up the road. It has a gas station, a restaurant, and a hotel." We would get there and it would be one building with a restaurant, gas pumps out front and a few rooms for rent in back.

And let me mention that the people that operate these "towns" are very curious especially when they see a tag from the lower 48. They want to know your story, especially where you are from. They always asked for a drivers license when we used a credit card and they would carefully note your name address ect, sometimes writing it down.

I realize I am giving a slanted view of the Canada wilderness and I am sure not everyone there is that curious, but a lot of them were.

My guess is that they are not using any credit cards. Too easy to track.

OH age of consent is sixteen...so, yes, it might have been statutory rape (OH's exceptions only protect those who are also under eighteen, which JW would not have been).

I'm not really looking at it from the statutory rape standpoint, I'm just thinking that, personally, I'd not allow a 14 year old child to actually "date", let alone date anyone other than another classmate, in their immediate age range... However, all parents are different, and all children are different, and some families may have more lenient boundaries for the middle and younger children, than they did with the eldest, due to getting past being a first time parent.

About the custody thing. I myself have been through a custody battle and know personally what a "living hell" it is. My ex was a dealer/user and I couldn't prove it. My child was exposed to this and it was very frustrating to prove. We went through years in this battle, and there were times that murdering him to end the suffering of me and my child and family ran through my mind. That being said, it only ran through my mind. I eventually got custody (than God!). So I know how emotional things can get and how unfair you can feel with the process.
There were a few things that you have to have for your child that are required by the state for you to get custody. Both parents homes require a seperate bedroom for the child, good home environment, well balanced meals, two parents is better, background checks on everyone involved, good job, medical insurance for the child, etc, etc. Also state will check out the physiactiric background of the parents. Interview the child, etc.
IMO this may have been a reason for the "New" home for Dana, HMR, and Crjr. Newer, bigger, nicer, home with no "grows" around. Maybe the Rhoden's or Wagner's threatened to go to court over the child's custody?
I didn't know either family, but from what I've read the Rhoden's were a very proud and family based family. They wouldn't have given up one of their own without a fight, and they were fighter's. It seems the Wagner's had more money and influence than the Rhoden's. So why would the Wagner's request HMR to just sign our her rights to SR? And why in the world, would the Wagner's think she would? Sounds like each family maybe had something "on" each other that would keep them going to court and settling this legally. I could see CRsr becoming furious over this! As well as the rest of his family.
Another thing I thought of is the reason there was no father listed for KyR. Maybe HMR didn't want to go through something like this again in the future. No father listed without dna proof and the only parent is HMR.
Just some of my thoughts.

Excellent thought about the purchase of DR's new home! If this murder was as I think it was, that would have, imo, infuriated the W family, as it would have made it harder for them in court.

With their own church on their property, sounds like LE may have expected another Waco.
Ok first time seeing they had a church... I'm trying to ask this respectfully....
Is it possible they were part of some type of offshoot fundamentalist sect that would have seen these murders as religiously excused? I guess what I'm trying to say is does there exist in that area some form of religion that would condone the murders of they felt that would help the kids?
The babies are in foster care still, the other two are with their respective surviving parents...
And how/why is JM involved in this?!?!?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Latest story from the Portsmouth Daily Times, who has a copy of the original complaint against JM for tampering, etc.

http://portsmouth-dailytimes.com/news/16029/development-in-rhoden-murder-case

JM's truck isn't as much an issue in this case, JMO, it was his activity. LE wanted to see where he was going. Seems they wanted to apply some pressure and see where JM went to discuss it. It certainly seemed enough to give LE what they needed to get search warrants for the Wagner and Brown properties.

The article also repeats DeWine's office calling Manley a "witness", not a POI.

Being that LE is allowed to lie during interrogations, did JM really fail the lie detector test or did they tell him that to see how he would react afterward?

I'm confused about the GPS as well. One would think LE would know that it had been switched to a different vehicle or deactivated or suspicious that it wasn't moving.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I think that they knew something was amiss with the device, and decided to make it public when they went to retrieve it. They were granted 45 days to track JM's vehicle. The device was installed on 4/21/2017, and according to the original warrant would have expired Monday, June 5, 2017 (if my cyphering is correct). Why go get the device after only 24 days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member