Found Deceased MA - Michael Doherty, 20, Franklin, 14 May 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
How far is Bellingham from Franklin? And how do they think he may have gotten there without his shoes-could he have walked there shoeless?

It's the next town, about 2 miles west of where the party was.

I am awful with maps, if anyone has looked, what is the area like where his scent was tracked to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the next town, about 2 miles west of where the party was.

Ok so not far; I looked at a map and saw that there is a golf course/country club in between, and the latest word is that the dogs tracked him to Maple St, just on the other side of the golf course, which means that he made it through the water if what they are saying is true. I so hope that he will be found safe, although I know what the odds are

How far is Bellingham from Franklin? And how do they think he may have gotten there without his shoes-could he have walked there shoeless?

Michael's second shoe was found on a golf course which is in Bellingham. The franklin / Bellingham town line is very close to the party location.

I don't know the exact addresses but this is what the walking route is on Google Maps. I added in the country club to the route and if he walked to Maple Street he made it through the marsh, unless he walked the streets which would be about 4.5 miles.

We need an expert mapper.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Phy...8f504a08e91d!2m2!1d-71.4504438!2d42.10144!3e2

It's difficult to gauge the distance from the golf course. Maple Street crosses 495 into Bellingham.
4c6aa81987d468930037f266ab82d4e7.png

It's kind of concerning that if he made it to Maple St./Pine St. in Bellingham he walked in the opposite direction from his home on Catherine Ave in Franklin. But I guess he was disoriented in the dark/rainstorm/from partying? From looking at the maps it appears that though his parents' house was about a mile from the party of Phyllis Lane the route between the two was a very straightforward one if you walked on actual streets.

this is a really odd one. so they find one shoe and a shirt near the marsh and then the second shoe at the edge of the golf course---signalling that he made it through the marsh. and as someone else noted the latest scent from the bloodhound shows him in an area facing an opposite direction from his house. i don't know what would make someone take off a shoe, unless it falls off somehow or is taken off.

let's put this in perspective---if i'm somewhat drunk and incoherent and i decide that i want to make a 25 minute walk to my parents house in the pouring rain, the last thing i'm probably going to do is stop to take off one shoe. now if I somehow find myself waist deep in a marsh, maybe i panic and try to rip off my shoes, thinking i'll need to swim to safety. so if that's the case, he manages to get one shoe off, gets out of the marsh and with the other one soaking wet, decides that it will be easier to resume walking barefoot for the remainder of this journey.

I'm utterly baffled on this one. the two locations of the shoes makes it seem to me that he was a) on the run from someone or something or b) he ran into the wrong people or person at the wrong time

It's kind of concerning that if he made it to Maple St./Pine St. in Bellingham he walked in the opposite direction from his home on Catherine Ave in Franklin. But I guess he was disoriented in the dark/rainstorm/from partying? From looking at the maps it appears that though his parents' house was about a mile from the party of Phyllis Lane the route between the two was a very straightforward one if you walked on actual streets.

According to Fox25, some friends of Doherty’s believe the young man might have cut through a wooded area to get back home. The path had supposedly been used by Doherty and his brother in the past. The path itself is not well-marked, and Doherty would probably have walked it in the dark.

http://www.masslive.com/news/worcester/index.ssf/2017/05/where_is_michael_doherty_searc.html

It was said he was coherent. He couldn't find his way home? JMO, I find that some information is inaccurate. JMO

I don't know the exact addresses but this is what the walking route is on Google Maps. I added in the country club to the route and if he walked to Maple Street he made it through the marsh, unless he walked the streets which would be about 4.5 miles.

We need an expert mapper.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Phy...8f504a08e91d!2m2!1d-71.4504438!2d42.10144!3e2

Thanks for the map. His path makes a lot of sense if you were walking in that neighborhood. He avoided the marsh. Basically walked around it. I don't know where his home was though. I didn't think he lived in Bellingham so why would he be heading there. Was there a girlfriend there? And why loose shoes? That doesn't make any sense what-so-ever.

attachment.php

i tried to map it all out and these are not exact locations, but as you can see--the scent from bellingham (maple street) is in a different direction then he would have needed to travel in order to get back to his house. of course if he was drunk he may have gotten lost, but sort of encouraging if that scent is accurate that he may have escaped the marsh

Attachments

• map.png
    map.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 479
Maybe he's not an experienced drunk (and not that I am, but...) I've never been so disoriented as to walk in totally the wrong direction and get lost, and not get home. Maybe I don't quite recall with clarity everything that went on, but I never got lost like that. Maybe acid but not alcohol.

minor correction--as i read one article that said first shoe/shirt was found near oak street extension--which indicates that he was at least initially headed north in the right direction...

attachment.php

Attachments

• map2.png
    map2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 551
applying rational thought to the actions of someone who was under the influence leads us in circles I think

another possibility is that his drink was spiked so that he did not appear too intoxicated to his friends at the party but then the drug kicked in as he was walking or that can even happen with alcohol if he chugged down a couple just prior to leaving ... all speculation

I would like to see stats on the ratio of Boston college boys who end up missing or found deceased in water as opposed to other cities as it does seem like MA has more than average IMO

applying rational thought to the actions of someone who was under the influence leads us in circles I think

another possibility is that his drink was spiked so that he did not appear too intoxicated to his friends at the party but then the drug kicked in as he was walking or that can even happen with alcohol if he chugged down a couple just prior to leaving ... all speculation

I would like to see stats on the ratio of Boston college boys who end up missing or found deceased in water as opposed to other cities as it does seem like MA has more than average IMO

I think part of it (whether it's true or just seems like it I'm not sure though) is there are more colleges in Boston. I just did a quick search and got this:

Total College Students

New York: 1,057,288

Los Angeles: 974,013

Chicago: 502,189

Boston: 346,157

So Boston ranks 4th in the nation. It would also be interesting to see access to water to compare as well, for instance most colleges in LA aren't going to be near a major body of water, but Boston and NYC are surrounded by water.

Cdogstu99....great job with the maps. I wonder how accurate the scent dog is? Over the winter a woman was missing in Sanford Maine I believe and the dog tracked her to a spot several miles away. She was later found only a few hundred yards from where she disappeared in Sanford.
Even if he was partially inebriated, I can understand getting lost in an area like that on a rainy night with poor visibility.

I have 14 Mass victims. Here are a few:
Michael Kelleher- 23 years old went missing from Celtics game on 03/29/17, tried to hire an Uber found in the Charles river
Zachary Marr- went missing from Bell in Hand bar on 02/13/16, not allowed back into bar to get his jacket, found in the Charles River
Eric Munsell- bouncer asked him to leave Market Lounge after he tripped in the bar on 02/08/14, found in the Boston Harbor
Johnathan Dailey- of Boston left his apartment after hanging out with a friend 10pm on 10/2/12 and was found in the Charles River chained to a cinder block, He was an architectural graduate student.
Franco Garcia- went missing on 02/22/12 from Newton MA after leaving with friends at Marry Anns bar. Was found in Chestnut Hill reservoir.

None of these are anywhere near Franklin, MA, for the record. Boston is about 45 minutes to an hour from Franklin (on a good day) and Newton is right outside Boston - ie, close enough to be on the Green Line of the subway.

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/lines/stations/?stopId=15605

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member