FL FL - Isabella Hellmann, 41, catamaran off Cay Sal, SE of the FL Keys, 14 May 2017 #1 *GUILTY*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The water around Cal Sal is shallow, so it's usually calm. It's also warm - maybe around 80 degrees, or possibly even warmer. It's survivable if someone was conscious and could swim... I just really wonder what he struck? One of the rocks on Cal Sal itself?

While 80 degrees might technically be "warm", it is 18 degrees below our normal body temperature and 10 degrees below survivable body temperature. 80 degrees is dangerous to someone who has fallen off a boat in open water.

Hypothermia for a body is between 91-95 degrees.

JMO
It is very important investigators look at those things.

There are things about this incident that cause concern and other things that could have been just a tragic accident. It could go either way at this point until investigators make a determination.

Investigators need to look at:

-Was there life insurance policy or any recent changes to it?

-Timing of incident. He was rescued in very early morning hours in the dark and so what was she doing topside at that time while he was not topside? What was he doing at that time?

-The boat did not sink and was found by rescuers. How far away from boat was the lifeboat?

-He said they hit something. They need to get the boat and look for marks underneath it. There should be some marks on whatever they hit.

-Did anybody report any recent squabbles or trouble the couple was having? Money issues?

-Listen to any communications he may have had to rescuers.

-Pull his computers and see if he looked up any recent cases of missing at sea or accidents or anything suspicous that could lead to him possibly doing something on purpose.

-I found the case I was talking about that is very similar to this. All computers and phones he had should be scanned to see if he researched anything like this case.

http://www.pressherald.com/2016/09/...a-week-found-alive-in-raft-off-massachusetts/

I hope investigators thoroughly research this case because there is quite a few things that could make the case seem suspicous.

Accidents happen but his/her luck would have had to have been really bad for things to go down the way it is being described.

I struggle to see how if the boat hit something how he could not have run topside and called out for her and somehow saved her. The way the story is being told is he did not find her anywhere and no sign of her. That is the part that does not make sense if they hit something. Unless she was knocked out when overboard. That really is the only way and I am not sure anything could have hit her head unless she maybe hit the same rock going overboard. If so then he should have had a flashlight to still see her in the water I would think.

Unless someone sinks right away if knocked out. I am not sure if people sink if knocked out. I know bodies can sink but not sure what happens when someone first goes in water and is knocked out.

I know a person can sink if all air out of lungs. We used to do that in the pool so I guess its possible she sank if all air out of lungs. But a body will naturally breath even if knocked out unless she inhaled water and then drowned I suppose.

So many questions. Investigators really have a lot of work to do and I hope they do a good job with this one.

She was keeping watch. You take turns, one sleeps and one keeps watch.

It is nearly impossible to find someone in open water when on a moving boat in the daytime. Very impossible at night...

The boat has marks on it

No, not even the incredible hulk could flip over a boat like that.

So, if Bennett was below deck, Hellman must have been topside steering the vessel? At 1:30 AM???

Something doesn't smell right. IMHO

This is completely normal and expected. He was sleeping. She was keeping watch. The watch keeper is supposed to teather herself to the boat as a precaution. It is possible she fell off some time before the boat hit something...

At this moment, of course I am somewhat suspicious (I'm a websleuther!!) but as of right now with information known, I am leaning toward terrible accident.

MOB is oftentimes never found. Even if she yelled, he probably wouldn't have heard her.

On May 17, the night before the U.S. Coast Guard called off the search, a neighbor said last week he approached Bennett to express his concern and sympathy.

“He said, ‘Yeah. I’m going to be leaving for England. I’ve got to move on with my life,’ ” the neighbor recalled. “I said, ‘What about the baby?’ He stopped and said, “Oh. I guess I’ve got to take her with me, too.’ ”

http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news...mystery-missing-woman/5reNR5lTYpl2kcOKNxdxaP/

this story reminds me of the Pegye Bechler murder -

During the trial, Bechler said his wife was driving the speedboat and towing him on a bodyboard when a wave knocked him under water. When he surfaced, he said, the boat was circling and she was gone.

Relatives of Pegye Bechler said they almost immediately suspected foul play, noting that she was a champion swimmer as a child in Dexter, N.M., and was unlikely to drown.

It was more than two years later that sheriff's investigators arrested Bechler after obtaining his secretly recorded admission to a new girlfriend who had grown suspicious. He told the girlfriend, model and "Baywatch" actress Tina New, that he had bludgeoned his wife with a dumbbell, then dumped her weighted body into the ocean.

Soon after his wife's disappearance, Bechler began an unsuccessful effort to cash in more than $2 million in life insurance. At the urging of suspicious sheriff's detectives, the policy was never paid.

http://articles.latimes.com/2001/mar/17/local/me-39083

FULL EPISODE: Troubled Waters
FRI, NOV 20
Dateline NBC

A California couple’s romantic getaway on a boat turns tragic when the young wife and mother is lost at sea. Did she accidentally drown or was it something more sinister? The case goes cold for years — until a gorgeous model with a checkered past goes undercover to find the truth. Josh Mankiewicz reports.

http://www.nbcnews.com/dateline/video/full-episode--troubled-waters-579620931833

I do think it is odd that he said "the family" is distraught and not he is distraught, but I don't trust that we got a full quote there...

The Palm Beach Post article above is VERY enlightening....

Looks like Hellman's family changed the locks on the condo and he planned to file a complaint with Palm Bch. Police,per neighbor.

I took it to mean HE changed the locks after they took things from the condo. And what did he put in the dumpster?

I'm starting to agree with the posters who wondered if she was ever on the boat. I hope they are trying to pinpoint where she was last seen by someone other than her husband.

I think it's pretty clear that this poor woman is no longer alive. Her husband sounds shady as hell even if he didn't murder her. I'll ask again, where did/does this man get his money?? Does he have any close friends?

I'm starting to agree with the posters who wondered if she was ever on the boat. I hope they are trying to pinpoint where she was last seen by someone other than her husband.

I wonder if her most recent FB postings were even made by her.

Am I going crazy? Is it just me, or are there waaaaay more family/baby pics on her Facebook page now than there were yesterday?

That was me!

I believe she was likely killed prior to the boat ever leaving.

Certainly there must be some checkpoint when leaving the dock an entering the water where the Coast Guard (or some kind of official) documents the number of passengers, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm starting to think she never left her condo.

I agree!

I also think that's why they are inspecting the car. If she died in the cundo, then he used his car to transport the body and bury her.

Meanwhile, the boat story was intended to keep officials looking in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member