Found Deceased MA - Michael Doherty, 20, Franklin, 14 May 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait what!!? A suspicious message BEFORE he ever went missing!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. The police report is from Sunday, May 14, Mother's Day. The day Michael was reported missing. So someone went to the police station to report something from social media regarding his disappearance, which was well known around town by that point.

I don't have an opinion on whether he used or not, but it's really not a stretch. My brothers went to the most prestigious private school in our state. His group of friends were/are all honor roll students, some successful athletes, and come from affluent, healthy families. Some of those kids use hard drugs. Over the summer one of them overdosed and died. He was brilliant, and people wrote similar things about him as Michael.

I'm not saying he used drugs or sold them. I'm just saying that you really can't know for sure. It's certainly not uncommon at that age, for young people to experiment or even semi-regularly use drugs.

Were those kids you mention using drugs one of the "some successful athletes"? I have a hard time accepting that an active athlete who was to become a caption of Duke's hockey team next year would be actively taking drugs.

Were those kids you mention using drugs one of the "some successful athletes"? I have a hard time accepting that an active athlete and was to become a caption of Duke's hockey team next year would be actively taking drugs.
It depends on your definition of "actively". According to my brother, none of them were addicts. But some of them used enough that it made my brother uncomfortable. Which still isn't much, since we're pretty anti anything other than marijuana. My brother won't even touch that. Anyway, it sounds like they were party type users. Maybe a few weekends off-season. These are guys in the newspaper - star athletes. They look like the-guy-next-door.

Again, I'm not saying he definitely used drugs. I'm just saying it's really not rare for kids his age, in similar positions to experiment. If I remember correctly, my brother's friend who overdosed had only used once or twice. I don't think it's something to rule out completely.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

It depends on your definition of "actively". According to my brother, none of them were addicts. But some of them used enough that it made my brother uncomfortable. Which still isn't much, since we're pretty anti anything other than marijuana. My brother won't even touch that. Anyway, it sounds like they were party type users. Maybe a few weekends off-season. These are guys in the newspaper - star athletes. They look like the-guy-next-door.

Again, I'm not saying he definitely used drugs. I'm just saying it's really not rare for kids his age, in similar positions to experiment. If I remember correctly, my brother's friend who overdosed had only used once or twice. I don't think it's something to rule out completely.

Idk, I have a hard time believing Michael intentionally took drugs. Everything I read about him indicates he would not.

I still think HRP's scenario or the scenario he died from drugs that were given to him without his knowledge makes the most sense here.

I find it much more believable that Michael would take drugs, than for someone to drug him. But that's just my opinion. I have no idea if drugs are even involved here.

I do think people tend to be a little naive about drug use. You really can't tell by how someone looks, socio-economic status, grades, family, etc. I think I already shared this earlier in the thread, but my group of friends in college were routinely doing cocaine for a while. There were several of us who went out together a lot, but they kept their usage from myself and one other person in our group. We were always out together and the two of us never knew. I was shocked when they told us years later. Again; classy, beautiful, brilliant women.

I find it much more believable that Michael would take drugs, than for someone to drug him. But that's just my opinion. I have no idea if drugs are even involved here.

I do think people tend to be a little naive about drug use. You really can't tell by how someone looks, socio-economic status, grades, family, etc. I think I already shared this earlier in the thread, but my group of friends in college were routinely doing cocaine for a while. There were several of us who went out together a lot, but they kept their usage from myself and one other person in our group. We were always out together and the two of us never knew. I was shocked when they told us years later. Again; classy, beautiful, brilliant women.

Okay, so are you stating that Micheal may have overdosed on his own accord? If so, that would mean his body was placed where it was found instead of the police being notified.

Okay, so are you stating that Micheal may have overdosed on his own accord? If so, that would mean his body was placed where it was found instead of the police being notified.

No, I'm not saying he was on drugs at all. I don't know. I'm just offering a point of view that I think is often overlooked.

If he was on drugs it could make where his body was found more sensible rather than him being placed there.

If he died of hypothermia, I don't see how this can be more than a tragedy. You have to be outside for a length of time for this to happen and it seems wildly unlikely he was "held" outside until he died. Removing clothing is a very common symptom of hypothermia. It can also cause confused thoughts. Jmo

Well that makes sense considering him taking off clothes and confusion.
Yeah, taking off clothing is what first clued me in to hypothermia. I think I posted it earlier in the thread. So very sad. I'm just glad no one harmed him intentionally.

I'm in MA and at a neighbor's house two weeks ago I suggested he passed due to hypothermia, but my thoughts were disregarded because "it wasn't that cold". We know it doesn't have to be especially cold when intoxicated, wet and it was in the 40's that evening. So sad.

But we still don't know why a smart kid would be out in the cold and going in the wrong direction. What was the toxicology report? Again there is more to this story.

Oh gosh, this is just so sad. It will be interesting to find out the toxicology reports.

He had just gotten back to MA from NC. We have had warm and humid weather for months in NC. I'm moving north and I'm in NJ, it is 79, with little humidity and a breeze...I needed a coat. It was quite chilly to me. So not sure how that could have played into they hypothermia for MD.

But we still don't know why a smart kid would be out in the cold and going in the wrong direction. What was the toxicology report? Again there is more to this story.

A smart kid who was most likely drunk and hypothermia causes confusion. That would explain him going in the wrong direction. He may have started out in the right direction and then turned himself around when disoriented. No signs of foul play right? So does it really matter what more there is to the story? Maybe only to the parents.

Tragedy.......a senseless, horrible tragedy and a loss of profound magnitude.

My sincere wish for his family to find peace and closure. They are in all our hearts.....God be with them.

This isn't a crime after all. I always thought it was hypothermia. It was very cold, 40's, rain, no jacket and inebriated, a recipe for disaster. His poor parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member