MD - Shadi Najjar & Artem Ziberov, fatally shot, Montgomery Co., 5 June 2017

Indy Anna

Reaction score
After Montgomery County police officers responded Monday night to a report of the sounds of shots being fired, they found the teens inside a car parked on a residential street in Montgomery Village, about 23 miles north of Washington, D.C., Montgomery County police said.

[...]

Crime Solvers of Montgomery County is offering a reward of up to $10,000 for any information that leads to an arrest.

Anyone with information is asked to call the police at 240-773-5070.
<snip> http://abcnews.go.com/US/maryland-teens-found-shot-dead-night-high-school/story?id=47870214

The teens were to graduate today. Both sound extremely bright. Ziberov was a member of the National Honor Society.

teenshotkilled_1496766893283_3431643_ver1.0_640_360.jpg
Artem Ziberov (L) and Shadi Adi Najjar (R)

The first 911 call came in at 10:46 p.m. Monday for the sound of gunshots.

"He heard six to eight gunshots less than 5 minutes ago," said the 911 dispatcher in audio obtained by FOX 5. "He doesn't know what kind of gun. It wasn't single fired – six to eight shots.”
<snip> http://www.fox5dc.com/news/259165191-story

Sounds like someone was very angry at them. But, why? Was it a case of mistaken identity?

But mourning displaced joy for his family and a larger suburban Maryland community was in shock after Ziberov and Najjar were killed Monday night in a fusillade of more than 22 shots fired as they sat in a car in a cul-de-sac in Montgomery Village.

Police called to the scene shortly before 11 p.m. found them dead in a parked and still-running Honda, Najjar at the wheel.

Instead of thinking about *Ziberov’s future, the family is “stuck in the night before,” his mother, Yulia Tewelow, said.

Montgomery County police had made no arrest and released few details of the shootings as of early Tuesday evening.

The two teens had been at *Ziberov’s home Monday before saying they were leaving to meet friends, Ziberov’s mother said. *Ziberov had also talked about selling extra tickets he had to the commencement, she said.
<snip> https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...ddbd8359dee_story.html?utm_term=.fb154b6fb47e

Their poor families. :(

I cannot image what the boy's families are going through and my heart is broken for them. I hope LE finds who killed them quickly so the families can at least have that even though I am sure it will be little comfort in comparison to their pain. This world just stinks sometimes.

Artem S. Ziberov (on Thursday would turn 19), and Shadi Adi Najjar, 17

Two honor roll students fatally shot in Maryland on eve of high school graduation

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...hooting:homepage/story&utm_term=.41dc96d999c3

Ziberov, an honors student headed to college to study international relations, was set to graduate Tuesday with his classmate, Shadi Adi Najjar, 17, and the rest of the seniors of Northwest High School in Germantown, Md.

Ziberov and Najjar were killed Monday night in a fusillade of more than 22 shots fired as they sat in a car in a cul-de-sac in Montgomery Village.

Najjar, who lived on Breezedale Lane in Germantown, was known as a bright student who challenged himself with calculus and a philosophy class at Montgomery College, where he planned on enrolling with an interest in the medical field.

Ziberov, 18, of Flag Harbor Drive in Germantown, had a dry sense of humor, was fluent in three languages and was learning a fourth, Japanese. He was headed to the University of Maryland at College Park.

Ziberov was an AP scholar with honors, a National Honor Society member and a President’s Education Award recipient. Naj*jar was listed as an AP scholar in the graduation booklet.

[link has audio for the gunshots .... sooo many! :tears: ]

Family and Friends Mourn
http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/mar...nside-vehicle-in-montgomery-village/446144483

- - -
$10,000 reward offered
http://wjla.com/news/local/police-2...e-a-vehicle-in-montgomery-co-residential-area

Along the same block, Gordon Gipe&#8217;s home security system recorded audio of the staccato sound.

&#8220;I heard fairly loud what I thought initially were firecrackers,&#8221; he says.
Gipe went to bed, thinking nothing was seriously amiss.
He didn&#8217;t realize until the next day, that he had recorded a series of gunshots.

thanks to Elfie for posting this in breaking news and to SB for starting this thread. The Washington Post article in the first post is incredibly detailed and these young men sound amazing. So very very tragic...

Shadi's funeral was today.
Shadi's father, Adi, made a desperate plea for help in finding his son's killer.

“If you know of anyone who killed my beautiful boy – please, you need to call [police], and the reward is going to be $20,000 now,” said Adi Najjar. “I’m going to keep increasing it until I find who killed my beautiful boy.”
<snip> http://www.fox5dc.com/news/local-news/259535775-story

His appeal came as hundreds gathered at a mosque in Germantown for the funeral of one of the students, Shadi Adi Najjar, 17.

The crowd grew so large that prayer rugs were spread in the mosque’s lobby, where Najjar’s graduation gown — the one he was due to wear just hours after he was killed — was hung next to a bouquet of flowers. When the lobby of the Islamic Society of Germantown was full, rugs were taken outside to the building’s front steps. When the steps were full, a small patch of grass was used.

“They came from all faiths,” the mosque’s imam, Ammar Najjar — Shadi’s uncle — said afterward. “This means a lot to us.”
<snip> https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...ddbd8359dee_story.html?utm_term=.97251a5e8f7e

Investigators are following up tips and leads in the case:

A source familiar with the investigation says at least one of the victims killed had cash in his hand when he was shot. It was described as not a significant amount, but somewhere between $20 and $50.

We asked police about the evidence found at the scene and several gunshots being heard in the area at the time of the shooting. Police are not saying if they believe the gunfire came from a single gun or several guns. They said that is all part of the investigation.
<snip> http://www.fox5dc.com/news/local-news/259535775-story

Audio of the gunfire was recorded by a nearby resident&#8217;s surveillance system. The recording, which detectives have listened to, reveals about 22 rounds when listened to at a normal speed.

[...]

The rapid shots in such a compressed time have caught the attention of those following the case or who have learned about it.

&#8220;I get the impression that there are two shooters,&#8221; said Vernon Geberth, a retired New York City Police homicide commander who provides instruction and consultation on homicide cases and listened to the audio at the request of The Washington Post.
<snip> https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...ddbd8359dee_story.html?utm_term=.97251a5e8f7e

Thank you so much Spellbound for providing the thread and gathering further coverage of this heartbreaking case. & Thank you AzPistonsGirl for your comments and your concern. I just hope that there will be a resolution and justice for these two bright young men who lost their lives in an exceptionally violent manner. My sympathies to their families and all of their friends.

Hate crime??

Hate crime??
Or drugs?! Hate to say it but with cash in hand.......?!

This is not to cast aspersions on these boys. Would it be totally unusual for them to experiment w/ drugs as a celebration?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Thank you so much Spellbound for providing the thread and gathering further coverage of this heartbreaking case. & Thank you AzPistonsGirl for your comments and your concern. I just hope that there will be a resolution and justice for these two bright young men who lost their lives in an exceptionally violent manner. My sympathies to their families and all of their friends.

Thank YOU for posting it in Breaking News or I may not have paid attention.

I have seen no further news that a suspect or reason is known. The sound of all those shots was terrifying and intended to murder.

Or drugs?! Hate to say it but with cash in hand.......?!

This is not to cast aspersions on these boys. Would it be totally unusual for them to experiment w/ drugs as a celebration?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I can't discount this off the cuff, but I think their reason (given to their parents) for leaving that evening was to sell extra tickets they had for the graduation. It was held at DAR Constitution Hall. So the cash could have been from the transaction. My inclination is that they were lured by the sale of the tickets.

Thank you Indy Anna for starting the thread. I see the two threads have been combined since you posted first. My original comments on the thread were posted before before this came about. Thank you TTF14 & Razz.

Thank you Indy Anna for starting the thread. I see the two threads have been combined since you posted first. My original comments on the thread were posted before before this came about. Thank you TTF14 & Razz.

Yes.... thank you Indy Anna. I did search for a thread before I started one here, but did not find yours. glad they are combined now.

Montgomery County Police Chief Tom Manger said he is confident investigators will solve the high-profile double homicide of two high school students on the eve of their graduation.

[...]

Investigators have leads and are putting together a timeline of where the victims were in the hours before the shootings, Manger said.

“We got the medical examiner report yesterday," Manger said. "That has helped us in terms of piecing together the forensic information. We've collected shell casings at the scene. We've got witnesses who have told us how many shots they heard.”
<snip> http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Chief-Police-Teens-Killed-Before-Graduation-427303963.html

Video also at link.

Hate crime??
This thought crossed my mind, but I don't know that there would be anything about them--just from looking at them--to suggest to a stranger that they are Muslim. At least, not from the pictures of the young men I've seen. Could be someone insanely jealous of them because of their achievements.

I can't discount this off the cuff, but I think their reason (given to their parents) for leaving that evening was to sell extra tickets they had for the graduation. It was held at DAR Constitution Hall. So the cash could have been from the transaction. My inclination is that they were lured by the sale of the tickets.

IMO, this is likely. Wonder if the tickets they intended to sell are missing. Why would someone kill for graduation tickets? Just so they could re-sell them for more money? Seems like a risky business endeavor, especially the night before graduation. Might the killer(s) been present at the ceremony? Again, could have been a case of insane jealousy toward these 2 young men?

This thought crossed my mind, but I don't know that there would be anything about them--just from looking at them--to suggest to a stranger that they are Muslim. At least, not from the pictures of the young men I've seen. Could be someone insanely jealous of them because of their achievements.

IMO, this is likely. Wonder if the tickets they intended to sell are missing. Why would someone kill for graduation tickets? Just so they could re-sell them for more money? Seems like a risky business endeavor, especially the night before graduation. Might the killer(s) been present at the ceremony? Again, could have been a case of insane jealousy toward these 2 young men?

Was the HS they attended a private school,? I'm wondering if the kids that attend that school are known as "rich kids"? I didn't get that impression from anything that I've read, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back