Found Deceased CA - Mary Louise Day, 12, Seaside, 1980

I am very curious about her family? Also was there a lot of news coverage of this case when it happened?

This photo, is of my half sister Mary, me, my sister B., K.(Mary's sister) mom (all of us) and dad. We are all standing in front of a 1958 T-Bird, and if you can find the original, I am standing there in a dark blue sailor suit (Palm Sunday) This picture was taken in 1980 (I was 4), and we were in HI at the time (yes dad was in the Army) Mary came up missing in 1981. For where we lived in Ft Ord, the school was just behind the house. Two years later, dad had to do a year in Germany, haven't been back to California yet. Yes there was a DNA test done, and it was a mitochondrial match, But the state of CA said it was a matter of just finding another one of mom's kids, and did not prove that it was indeed her. I tried to get information on the case, but they would not give me any, because it is still seen as an active investigation Edited for coherency

This photo, is of my half sister Mary, me, my sister B., K.(Mary's sister) mom (all of us) and dad. We are all standing in front of a 1958 T-Bird, and if you can find the original, I am standing there in a dark blue sailor suit (Palm Sunday) This picture was taken in 1980 (I was 4), and we were in HI at the time (yes dad was in the Army) Mary came up missing in 1981. For where we lived in Ft Ord, the school was just behind the house. Two years later, dad had to do a year in Germany, haven't been back to California yet. Yes there was a DNA test done, and it was a mitochondrial match, But the state of CA said it was a matter of just finding another one of mom's kids, and did not prove that it was indeed her. I tried to get information on the case, but they would not give me any, because it is still seen as an active investigation Edited for coherency
Welcome! Thank you for answering some lingering questions. May I ask who was a DNA match?

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Welcome! Thank you for answering some lingering questions. May I ask who was a DNA match?

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
Sorry, I have one thing wrong, dad wasn't in the photo, he was taking it (Olympus OM-1 50mm lens, and he's 5'4"), and I still don't have that photo.
The person who is the DNA match is someone claiming to be Mary, who is currently 5'0" and looks nothing like the age enhanced photo. Now from what I have been told, is the long range of a guess as to when she went missing is because of who and when she was declared missing. Mom has children by (at least) 4 different men, and I think CA is aware of this, there is also some debate as to if and who was trying to get her legally declared dead (her dad left her money)

if the person with the DNA match isn't Mary, who is she?

Mary came up missing in 1981. For where we lived in Ft Ord, the school was just behind the house. Two years later, dad had to do a year in Germany, haven't been back to California yet. Yes there was a DNA test done, and it was a mitochondrial match.

Thanks for joining us & providing more information! Here at WebSleuths, we want to help figure out what happened to your half-sister (and anyone else who is missing, too.)

SO there are 4 kids in the family, Mary, K., you, and B.? All girls?

Is the photographer your Dad, or your step-Dad? What was his job in the military?

Mary's Step-Dad? If the photographer is her step-dad, did you ever meet Mary's natural father, recall where he lived? Did she have another set of grandparents?

What can you tell us about Mary's disappearance on/near Fort Ord. Did you all go to summer school? Did you go to the pool & lose track of Mary, or just wake up to find her gone?

Can you explain more about the DNA test match? Did the state of California perhaps think that your Mom had placed another child for adoption & that's why there is a match?

fjallar, you've found a good group to work on your family's missing sister!

:seeya:

Thanks for joining us & providing more information! Here at WebSleuths, we want to help figure out what happened to your half-sister (and anyone else who is missing, too.)

SO there are 4 kids in the family, Mary, K., you, and B.? All girls?
I'm the only boy

Is the photographer your Dad, or your step-Dad? What was his job in the military?
B. and I have the same dad, Mary, and K., have the same dad, C., and J. have the same dad, then there's S. who has her own dad

Mary's Step-Dad? If the photographer is her step-dad, did you ever meet Mary's natural father, recall where he lived? Did she have another set of grandparents?
Never met him, as he died 76-78

What can you tell us about Mary's disappearance on/near Fort Ord. Did you all go to summer school? Did you go to the pool & lose track of Mary, or just wake up to find her gone?
The story my parents would tell was that Mary liked to run away a lot, and seeing as to we were living in HI, she couldn't run far, then when we moved to CA is when she finally bolted. My sister B. said my parents placed her on a bus after a failed attempt at killing her. Fro which the state dug up several residences in an attempt to prove such claim.

Can you explain more about the DNA test match? Did the state of California perhaps think that your Mom had placed another child for adoption & that's why there is a match?
Could very well be, not sure.

fjallar, you've found a good group to work on your family's missing sister!

:seeya:
answered in quote

Wait, your parents tried to kill Mary and after that failed, they put her on a bus? Why would they try to kill her? Was it for insurance money? Was she really 5'7 or 5'8 when she went missing? Is your mom still alive? I think I may have read it wrong, but there is a woman out there claimng to be Mary? I don't understand-no one knows when exactly she went missing? and why was she running away a lot-was there abuse-physical or sexual in the home?

Wait, your parents tried to kill Mary and after that failed, they put her on a bus?
So at least one of the stories go, and at one time was enough of a story to get a warrant issued to dig up the back yard of the Seaside residence. Remains were found, and became cause to have my parents arrested while the cops searched their house for evidence. The remains turned out to be of a dog (my dad had a poodle that was poisoned at the time, it was eventually figured out to be that dog), nothing was ever mentioned if prejudice was attached, so don't know if charges could come back.
Why would they try to kill her? Was it for insurance money?
Honestly, it's too hard to say
Was she really 5'7 or 5'8 when she went missing?
I don't know, but if I gave enough info about the pic, camera, and background, maybe someone can figure it out.
Is your mom still alive?
yes
I think I may have read it wrong, but there is a woman out there claiming to be Mary?
Yes, at some time later in the investigation the FBI did some checking, and someone had used Mary's social security number and name. That person has a mitochondrial DNA match to mom. I guess it's easier for the state to list her as not the person they are looking for, than to deal with the inconsistencies, though from my memory, she did know stuff I would have figured only Mary to know. I haven't seen her in person(though I did talk to her on the phone), my sisters have, but they all say something's off
I don't understand-no one knows when exactly she went missing?
Now if you asked my parents, they claimed her as missing, and the cops just messed up, so it looks like it never happened. My half sister S. filed her missing years later when she started looking for all her siblings
and why was she running away a lot-was there abuse-physical or sexual in the home?
Dad had a heavy hand at times, I don't know about with the girls, but with me, no. Not that I remember anyone saying, but all the girls were gone from the house by the time I was 15 (B. is only 1 1/2 years older than me, went to go live in a group home, the rest were adopted off)
I know it's a lot to deal with,and it's been a long time looking at this stuff before actually posting. I want to say that I was in contact with Julie Stradan, but didn't get anything but a form letter back, so not trying to ruin any investigation, but conversations held in front of 3rd parties is public knowledge AFAIK

Wow, that's a sad set of circumstances!

FJallar, I notice that you say your sisters "were adopted" and moved out.

Did a state take custody of your sisters?

Was Mary the oldest, then K.?

Are you the youngest? B., then C. & J.? Where does S. fit in your family spectrum?

Do you talk (text, email, FaceBook) with your sisters much?

Such a sad & confusing situation!

FJallar, I notice that you say your sisters "were adopted" and moved out.

Did a state take custody of your sisters?
B.
Was Mary the oldest, then K.? Are you the youngest? B., then C. & J.? Where does S. fit in your family spectrum?
I'm not sure about the oldest 3, as I have not actually met two of them, but I think it goes C., J., S., then M., K., B., and me

Do you talk (text, email, FaceBook) with your sisters much?
With S., and B., and they both live within an hour's drive

Such a sad & confusing situation!

Very.

Thanks, Fjallar. This can't have been easy for you.

You didn't know C. or J., but do you think that Mary and K. did? If Mary was in touch with them, was their home her destination when she ran away?

I feel nosy asking all these questions about your family! I'm glad that you, S., and B. are in touch with each other.

Either of them interested in reading here & telling us what they remember?

Thanks, Fjallar. This can't have been easy for you.

You didn't know C. or J., but do you think that Mary and K. did?If Mary was in touch with them, was their home her destination when she ran away?
She might have, but would have needed to have traveled all the way to the other side of the US to get there. Someone had posted earlier about a girl in NY that looked similar, and it gave me pause, as it was about a 4 hour drive from where she would have gone if she did go there. K. knew them too, but was too busy being in the hospital having surgeries dealing with a cranial birth defects.

I feel nosy asking all these questions about your family! I'm glad that you, S., and B. are in touch with each other.

Either of them interested in reading here & telling us what they remember?
I could check, and might be able to get one, I will have to get back to you on that

fjallar, did you get a chance to get a look at my questions?

Welcome, fjallar.
I only have 3 questions please.
1-Who provided the DNA samples for your sister's DNA profile in CODIS?
2 - It looks like Mary has a cut, scab or bruise next to her right eye in the picture, do you know if it's something like an injury, or a birthmark?
3 - Have you looked at any unidentified remains in NamUs to see if any of the sketches/pictures of them may be her?

I want to thank you for coming on board, your sister's case caught my eye because of what I thought may have been a match to a case in TX, but she was ruled out due to DNA. I apologize if I'm not being sensitive enough & I'm sorry you are going through this but there are a lot of us looking for her.
Please stick around because we are a great group of people dedicated to helping any way we can.

fjallar, sorry, i see you answered my questions. I am so absent minded. thank you for answering

Just wanted to say thanks for joining, I'm very sorry for the circumstances that brought you here. I hope you get answers one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back