GUILTY CA - Erin Corwin, 19, pregnant, Twentynine Palms, 28 June 2014 - #14

I am assuming this will happen tomorrow. Does anyone know if there is any way we can see what is in the opening briefs?

You can either go to the court in person and read a copy there. Or pay for a copy. It's usually about a dollar a page. Send in a blank check that tells the amount not to be exceeded. Self return envelope. And unless the brief is sealed, you should get it within a week or so. But check first to see how long the brief is. So you know what you are going to spend.

Some Cali. courts you can do this all on-line, using a credit card and the file is emailed. Some, require that everything be done by snail-mail and a check.

You can either go to the court in person and read a copy there. Or pay for a copy. It's usually about a dollar a page. Send in a blank check that tells the amount not to be exceeded. Self return envelope. And unless the brief is sealed, you should get it within a week or so. But check first to see how long the brief is. So you know what you are going to spend.

Some Cali. courts you can do this all on-line, using a credit card and the file is emailed. Some, require that everything be done by snail-mail and a check.

Thank you for the information. It is so different this time. I don't have an attorney or victim advocate to call.

Truth, as long as there are any hearings/ etc... you should still have a victims advocate. We had one for years, for each hearing.

Truth, as long as there are any hearings/ etc... you should still have a victims advocate. We had one for years, for each hearing.
You have MANY on your side!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thank you for the information. It is so different this time. I don't have an attorney or victim advocate to call.

I don't know the rules around this next, but you might check with whoever you were getting help from before, to see if fees for court documents might be waived for you during the appeals process. The appeal on this case still impacts victims, and I do know that for people who work in the court system there is usually fee-waiver for getting documents like this. It's worth a try, because the costs can really add up. Some of these motions and briefs are hundreds of pages long.

California is actually pretty strong on victim's rights. Here is a link I found for help during the appeals process in non-DP cases, which I believe this case would fall under (apparently you can even attend oral arguments, if you are so inclined):

http://ag.ca.gov/victimservices/pdf/Appeals_bro8x11_1.pdf

http://www.courts.ca.gov/1107.htm#Cases_on_Appeal_and_Capital_Crime_Victim_Resources

I don't know the rules around this next, but you might check with whoever you were getting help from before, to see if fees for court documents might be waived for you during the appeals process. The appeal on this case still impacts victims, and I do know that for people who work in the court system there is usually fee-waiver for getting documents like this. It's worth a try, because the costs can really add up. Some of these motions and briefs are hundreds of pages long.

California is actually pretty strong on victim's rights. Here is a link I found for help during the appeals process in non-DP cases, which I believe this case would fall under (apparently you can even attend oral arguments, if you are so inclined):

http://ag.ca.gov/victimservices/pdf/Appeals_bro8x11_1.pdf

http://www.courts.ca.gov/1107.htm#Cases_on_Appeal_and_Capital_Crime_Victim_Resources

Thank you for the information. I will look into this. I wish we did not live so far away. I would have been at all of the hearings before the trial and would still be going to them. It is so much easier to know what is going on if I hear it myself. Then I would know which questions I needed to ask to understand better what was going on.

In the appeals process who would supply the VA?

Sorry, just got back from vacation.
We never got to an appeal. But over the course of 10 years so far we had a victims advocate with us for any hearings that popped up. (Many of them surprises and last minute. grrrrr) The murder happened right outside of Washington DC so even in a highly populated and high crime county and we even live out of state we always had a victims advocate meet with us and sit with us in court...actually the same one over the years. I'm not sure if the DA's office set that up or there is a program that the advocate keeps up with cases or Maryland just has that great of a program?

Like I said pages ago, unfortunately even with the VA, you're kinda still on your own. This is every day sterileness and unemotional for them so they forget to tell you things or processes. In my experience you have to ask the questions, they don't come to you. There is sadly many other families in our boat and we've also slipped through the cracks with not being told information.
I just can't imagine that there is no one to guide you still?!?! If you haven't already call and ask. Good luck and much love.

Did you signed up for VINELINK ?
We were notified when one of the "found guilty" persons was released. And notified when he violated parole and went back to prison. sigh....
We recently got a letter asking if we would support a media article about a project the prison was doing for "found guilty person #2", he is in for life. We denied any article being done about him. That came out of nowhere, was confusing and was a tough one.
So please be sure to sign up for vine link. It is also for victims and will keep you updated.

Thank you for the information. All of you have been so incredible with support and information. I am going to call the Appeals and Victim's Rights number on Wednesday. That is the day of the Appellant's opening brief. Provided he doesn't get another extension with no more extensions allowed. :laughing: We signed up for vine link. I do get emails every time there is an extension on the appeal. I would like to know what Chris's attorney is writing in his appeal. Just so I have some idea of what direction they are going.

Thank you for the information. All of you have been so incredible with support and information. I am going to call the Appeals and Victim's Rights number on Wednesday. That is the day of the Appellant's opening brief. Provided he doesn't get another extension with no more extensions allowed. :laughing: We signed up for vine link. I do get emails every time there is an extension on the appeal. I would like to know what Chris's attorney is writing in his appeal. Just so I have some idea of what direction they are going.

Please keep us updated.

As far as I can tell nothing happened yesterday. I do have a phone call into the Victims Services to see if I can get some clarification.
http://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca....ing.cfm?dist=42&doc_id=2172072&doc_no=E067356
http://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca....ons.cfm?dist=42&doc_id=2172072&doc_no=E067356

I spoke to the deputy clerk for the second division, who may actually be your best go-to. Nothing happened. Lee's attorney has until 9/11 (ironic) to file opening brief, or possibly be replaced by another appointed attorney.

Here is the phone number for the clerk. Very nice woman, by the way: 951-782-2500

If you give her the case number, she can give you all the details.

I spoke to the deputy clerk for the second division, who may actually be your best go-to. Nothing happened. Lee's attorney has until 9/11 (ironic) to file opening brief, or possibly be replaced by another appointed attorney.

Here is the phone number for the clerk. Very nice woman, by the way: 951-782-2500

If you give her the case number, she can give you all the details.

Thank you so much for finding this for me. I try searching for resources to help with this. I guess I just do not know the correct words or the right direction to look.

Thank you so much for finding this for me. I try searching for resources to help with this. I guess I just do not know the correct words or the right direction to look.

I have really found court clerks to be very helpful, especially, it seems, in the appellate courts.

I just received a phone call from a very kind lady from the Victim's Services. I can call her any time that I have questions. If and when the brief is finally filed we will talk about what he is using for his appeal. She did say like the trial phase this can drag out for a very long time before it really happens.

I just received a phone call from a very kind lady from the Victim's Services. I can call her any time that I have questions. If and when the brief is finally filed we will talk about what he is using for his appeal. She did say like the trial phase this can drag out for a very long time before it really happens.

:grouphug:

Three years ago today we got a much anticipated phone call that we did and didn't want to receive. A miracle and tragedy in one call. A miracle that you were found. A tragedy how you were stolen from us. This year has been so much harder than I ever imagined it would be. My heart will always have an Erin size hole in it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
L1752
Back