Australia Australia - Tanja Ebert, 23, Roseworthy, SA, 8 Aug 2017

I have read everything available about this.
I think Tanja wanted a divorce, and they had been discussing separating/divorce. I think husband Michael didn't want HIS two sons to be taken out of Australia, and also he didn't want to lose half of the family property. He wanted to pay Tanja out as much as he could afford and still keep the family property. He also wanted to keep the two boys.
Obviously Tanja had other ideas. THIS IS ALL JMOO.
I also think Tanja had plane tickets booked.......I also think she let close friends/family in Germany know the flights and if she didn't arrive then Michael had killed her........and for them to notify Victoria Police of her murder ........and gave her friends/family the telephone numbers in Melbourne of the Victoria Police to call and report her murder.
THIS IS ALL JMOO.
Someone else has posted somewhere on here ......wondering whether Michael Burdon has ever been married before and whether there was any domestic violence in his relationships. Now we will never know....unless Tanja's friends/family in Germany ever say anything to the press. MOO.

Utter tragedy. His poor mother, two sons took their own lives, husband deceased, two very young grandchildren now orphans, young daughter-in-law gone forever, huge property in limbo now, family reputation destroyed. If we turn back the years, life must have seemed so promising for that family 45 or so years ago

He looks a nice sort of man and people around those parts say he was a good father and very much in love with young Tanja. Again, the future would have seemed golden .. . energetic young couple with two sons to take over the property when they were older. He'd waited and made what seemed an ideal choice as a wife. I think he just snapped. Then killed himself out of unimaginable remorse, guilt and sense of not wanting to exist another moment .. a sense of having stuffed everything up and self-hatred

Tanja was very young to even be travelling so far from home. They met when she was working at the Yunta pub, apparently. Love at first sight and not hard to see the mutual attraction. She must have seemed a vision to his eyes. And he would have been the embodiment of the famed Aussie Outback man: strong, tall, good looking, man of few words, property owner, etc. A dream come true for both of them

Not difficult to understand how troubles could arise in their situation. Homesickness, a yearning for adventure, stultified by the isolation, heat, huge distances even to go hospital or buy things apart from groceries, etc. on her part .. the feeling she was stuck, her Australian adventure curtailed and replaced by never-changing monotony. She most likely was feeling that her youth was slipping away, lost opportunities, etc. He was older, most likely satisfied with the way things were shaping up. Maybe he hoped her dissatisfaction was a phase which would pass. Instead it might have grown worse. She might have wanted them to leave and live somewhere else. He could have been thinking he'd have no way to support his family if they moved. He could have felt he owed it to his biological family to stay at the property to hand to his sons. Or maybe he said they could move elsewhere in five or ten years, thinking by then she'd be over wanting to leave

I suspect he loved her and wanted to keep their family intact. Maybe communication wasn't his strong point. He might not have intended to harm her at all, but didn't know his strength and it got out of hand and was over before he could undo it. The suicide was planned. He had the means already in place. I think he was in a fog of grief and wanted to escape the feeling of being without her. Those who've seriously contemplated or attempted suicide would tell you that the enormity of their pain in that instant eclipses rational thought. Everything and everyone is wiped away by the urgent desire for everything to simply be over. If he'd been in a different state of mind or had someone there to prevent him from shooting himself, he would no doubt have thought of his sons. Although he would have realized he'd be no good to his sons if in prison, and unable to keep up the property. I think he decided he'd messed-up beyond saving anything or anyone and was his harshest judge, jury and executioner. He might have just wanted to be with Tanja

I found those CCTV pics from the museum very peculiar.... she appears to be cuddling a ( I think ) daschund puppy.....in the museum?.... could that be right????

Daschunds on the property, so yep, maybe.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4796238/Tanja-Ebert-hid-secret-unhappiness-murder.html

434B05FB00000578-4794872-image-a-4_1502871409825.jpg

+7

I suppose there will be lots of contemplation of why, why, why... and lots of logical hypothesis....... she was young, he was old, he was at home, she was foreign, and all of those, and so many more could fit the situation there in South Au...... . on the other hand, she may have back answered him , along the lines of, 'cup of tea, love? ' and he says, 'no thanks' and she says ' aw.. you sure?..' and he shoots her then says, ' I said no. '........

Women are murdered for a whole lot less in this country and all over the world... lots of faff is said about how men snap, and women just have the nerve to be disagreeable, if only they were not so mouthy, and so on. He was such a nice bloke. Loved his kids. Good businessman. Great mate. You've all heard this before.

But the statistics say that women are murdered for any reason that fits the bill after the event. When she is dead, and he is up before the judge, the reasons are many and varied but usually have a common theme. She disobeyed an instruction. ... the quality of that instruction isn't questioned.

It is just as likely that she said, ' please , Micheal, would you feed the puppy while I settle the boys down?' and he thought, be damned if I will. Blammo. Sounds unreasonable?..... this , like most murders IS unreasonable.

and, the bit about her wanting the marriage to end, as the police man says.. this is what Mr Burden told the police during the brief questioning. .. .. it doesn't necessarily have to be true, this is the same bloke who told the police his wife got out of the car agitated in Roseworthy, with a bag ful of cash. And the cops have discarded that claim, they are searching the home property.

POLICE have called off the search at Oulnina Park homestead for the body of young mother and presumed murder victim Tanja Ebert.

After earlier zeroing in on a patch of freshly disturbed dirt close to the homestead, Major Crime detectives called off the search late on Friday afternoon.
They will reconvene in the morning to consider their next steps.
Investigators were feeling optimistic earlier in the day after identifying a possible burial site just 50 metres from the couple’s home, but no remains were recovered.

Evidence gathered from the 410sq km property will be reviewed in coming days as investigators conduct further interviews in the hope of finding fresh leads.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...h/news-story/ab0abec8c32f51cfbe0886fda1e623eb

I suppose there will be lots of contemplation of why, why, why... and lots of logical hypothesis....... she was young, he was old, he was at home, she was foreign, and all of those, and so many more could fit the situation there in South Au...... . on the other hand, she may have back answered him , along the lines of, 'cup of tea, love? ' and he says, 'no thanks' and she says ' aw.. you sure?..' and he shoots her then says, ' I said no. '........

Women are murdered for a whole lot less in this country and all over the world... lots of faff is said about how men snap, and women just have the nerve to be disagreeable, if only they were not so mouthy, and so on. He was such a nice bloke. Loved his kids. Good businessman. Great mate. You've all heard this before.

But the statistics say that women are murdered for any reason that fits the bill after the event. When she is dead, and he is up before the judge, the reasons are many and varied but usually have a common theme. She disobeyed an instruction. ... the quality of that instruction isn't questioned.

It is just as likely that she said, ' please , Micheal, would you feed the puppy while I settle the boys down?' and he thought, be damned if I will. Blammo. Sounds unreasonable?..... this , like most murders IS unreasonable.

Yes, something like that or she was being mouthy.

Just a reminder. His death will be a matter for the South Australian Coroner to adjudicate upon. As will Tanja's , eventually, even if her body isn't found.

Like all states and territories in AU, Coroners Findings are public... our taxes at work, and the findings on Micheal Burdon's death will be published within a day or so of the end of the Coroners inquest into the matter.

You will be able to find the conclusions at this site .

http://www.courts.sa.gov.au/CoronersFindings/Pages/All-Findings.aspx

The date of the inquest will be public knowledge and it may go for some days. Witnesses will be called and sworn in, his mother, people on the property, the policemen attending that day, perhaps some people from other properties. The Coroner is entitled to question and compel answers. ..

Tanja had freedom to travel to the Bahamas last April.

The last time Mr Koeppen, who lives in Orange in NSW, saw her was at his wedding in the Bahamas in April.

"All of my family members came home from my wedding in the Bahamas and told their families and friends about this amazing German woman who is strong, independent, bright and living in the middle of nowhere. So powerful and adventurous," Mr Koeppen said.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/w...r-husband-takes-own-life-20170818-gxzkbx.html

I'm in awe of you Trooper, but I think you're going a bit hard at him

Most of us are women. We've been in our early 20s. We've struggled at times, raising children and really getting to know our spouse. We've had mother in law problems We've been treated as if we're at fault. We've been restless and dissatisfied at times, sometimes often. We've tended at times to regard our spouse as all-knowing, all-providing, all-forgiving and understanding. We've behaved like prima-donnas at times. We've believed absolutely that we were right, totally in the right. We've made demand and we've threatened. If we stick around with our spouse long enough and are honest enough, we look back and realise we weren't right as we thought we were

We've had friends write and invite us to visit them out of state, overseas, often a long distance from home. They might have said how much they miss us, how much they want to see our children. And they've told us we deserve a break. We might have told them we couldn't afford it. They might have offered to pay. Maybe we accepted, maybe not. We wanted a break away. We wanted to be our old selves, the girls/women we were before marriage and motherhood. We might have wanted to joke around with our friends like the old days. It gets us to thinking of the life we used to enjoy before marriage and motherhood. So there we might have been, getting on with our lives, and suddenly now -- after persuasion from friends or family -- we're dissatisfied. Yes, we think, marriage and motherhood and pinching pennies and putting husband and children first has aged us, changed us, made us less of the funny, carefree girl/woman we used to be. We might grumble about it to ourselves and to others. We might start finding fault with married life and spouse. All work and no play and look at me now ... a dull girl. Never get my hair done, don't have money for new clothes, everything for the house and babies and spouse and nothing left for poor old me. And after PMT has passed, we might have thought to ourselves that we'd behaved insanely for a week. We swear it won't happen again, but it does. And our spouse and kids put up with us.

It's a short step to silent resentment. Then to arguments. We never do anything. We never go anywhere. We can't afford to go away. All the money goes on equipment, on renovations (or whatever). I'm sick of this. I want to go somewhere new where the days aren't so hard. You're no fun. All you do is work. What's it all about anyway. Why are we denying and pushing ourselves like this. You say it's for the kids, but the kids won't want to be here .. they'll want to get away .. they'll leave us and we'll be too old to move or do anything by then. Or maybe it's, ' You'd already had your fun before we met, but I've had nothing .. straight from being a schoolgirl to working all hours of day and night and two little kids. I missed out the fun years, I'm stuck here. I want to have some fun. I feel 80 years old. Alright for you, you chose this place. But I've had enough. I want to see the ocean and green fields and bustling towns, the theatre. I want to go back to school. I want to be more than just this. You captured me. I feel as if I'm in a prison and you won't listen, you won't agree that things should change. Everything has to be your way. Well no more. I'm leaving and you won't stop me. And I'm taking the kids. I want them to have more than this too. I've tried talking to you but you don't listen, so that's it. I'm going

Who knows what poor Burden had gone through in his life. Parents strict disciplinarians? Too much work and responsibility too young? Feelings of obligation to his parents to make up for his brother's death? Too high expectations of himself, pushing himself, suppressing his own needs and wants? Did he suffer undiagnosed PTSD? Mother still there to be considered. Friction between mother in law and his wife with him in the middle trying to keep the peace? Gentle man, they've said locally. Never raised his hand or his voice. Always there if someone needed help. Trying to compensate for his brothers absence? 'I won't let anyone down .. I'll be here, doing what needs doing so don't worry, I'm here ' ?

In cases like this, the victim is always portrayed as perfect and the perp is unmitigated evil. But we're human. No one is perfect just as few are truly evil. It's not a tv show with characters painted black or white

They'd been all that way to Adelaide and back in one day. The youngest boy could well have been teething. Long way to go with two little kids. Couldn't afford to stay overnight, hence that long stressful trip? We don't know what sort of financial pressures they were under but that trip alone would bring out the worst in even the happiest couple. And where did they go ... a museum. Lovely innocent couple and their babies. They went to the museum. Not a night club, not a week at the beach although they would both most likely have loved that. So maybe he'd listened to her need to see and do more and they'd gone for a day out -- viewed some 'culture'. No comparison to Germany of course, but maybe he hoped it would make her a little bit happier?

The thing that breaks my heart is the image of him burying her on his own. I won't be surprised to learn he put precious momentoes with her. I don't think it was a planned murder. I believe he was desperate and glad to die and did so as soon as there was someone there (investigators) to take responsibility for his mother and sons

Tanja had freedom to travel to the Bahamas last April.

The last time Mr Koeppen, who lives in Orange in NSW, saw her was at his wedding in the Bahamas in April.

"All of my family members came home from my wedding in the Bahamas and told their families and friends about this amazing German woman who is strong, independent, bright and living in the middle of nowhere. So powerful and adventurous," Mr Koeppen said.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/w...r-husband-takes-own-life-20170818-gxzkbx.html

Well, wow. She had the freedom to travel? How lucky is that? Did someone have to give an adult woman the freedom for anything? I kind of think that travelling somewhere does not mean freedom. That is, not having to have permission from someone.

Most of us are women. We've been in our early 20s. We've struggled at times, raising children and really getting to know our spouse. We've had mother in law problems We've been treated as if we're at fault. We've been restless and dissatisfied at times, sometimes often. We've tended at times to regard our spouse as all-knowing, all-providing, all-forgiving and understanding. We've behaved like prima-donnas at times. We've believed absolutely that we were right, totally in the right. We've made demand and we've threatened. If we stick around with our spouse long enough and are honest enough, we look back and realise we weren't right as we thought we were

We've had friends write and invite us to visit them out of state, overseas, often a long distance from home. They might have said how much they miss us, how much they want to see our children. And they've told us we deserve a break. We might have told them we couldn't afford it. They might have offered to pay. Maybe we accepted, maybe not. We wanted a break away. We wanted to be our old selves, the girls/women we were before marriage and motherhood. We might have wanted to joke around with our friends like the old days. It gets us to thinking of the life we used to enjoy before marriage and motherhood. So there we might have been, getting on with our lives, and suddenly now -- after persuasion from friends or family -- we're dissatisfied. Yes, we think, marriage and motherhood and pinching pennies and putting husband and children first has aged us, changed us, made us less of the funny, carefree girl/woman we used to be. We might grumble about it to ourselves and to others. We might start finding fault with married life and spouse. All work and no play and look at me now ... a dull girl. Never get my hair done, don't have money for new clothes, everything for the house and babies and spouse and nothing left for poor old me. And after PMT has passed, we might have thought to ourselves that we'd behaved insanely for a week. We swear it won't happen again, but it does. And our spouse and kids put up with us.

It's a short step to silent resentment. Then to arguments. We never do anything. We never go anywhere. We can't afford to go away. All the money goes on equipment, on renovations (or whatever). I'm sick of this. I want to go somewhere new where the days aren't so hard. You're no fun. All you do is work. What's it all about anyway. Why are we denying and pushing ourselves like this. You say it's for the kids, but the kids won't want to be here .. they'll want to get away .. they'll leave us and we'll be too old to move or do anything by then. Or maybe it's, ' You'd already had your fun before we met, but I've had nothing .. straight from being a schoolgirl to working all hours of day and night and two little kids. I missed out the fun years, I'm stuck here. I want to have some fun. I feel 80 years old. Alright for you, you chose this place. But I've had enough. I want to see the ocean and green fields and bustling towns, the theatre. I want to go back to school. I want to be more than just this. You captured me. I feel as if I'm in a prison and you won't listen, you won't agree that things should change. Everything has to be your way. Well no more. I'm leaving and you won't stop me. And I'm taking the kids. I want them to have more than this too. I've tried talking to you but you don't listen, so that's it. I'm going

Who knows what poor Burden had gone through in his life. Parents strict disciplinarians? Too much work and responsibility too young? Feelings of obligation to his parents to make up for his brother's death? Too high expectations of himself, pushing himself, suppressing his own needs and wants? Did he suffer undiagnosed PTSD? Mother still there to be considered. Friction between mother in law and his wife with him in the middle trying to keep the peace? Gentle man, they've said locally. Never raised his hand or his voice. Always there if someone needed help. Trying to compensate for his brothers absence? 'I won't let anyone down .. I'll be here, doing what needs doing so don't worry, I'm here ' ?

In cases like this, the victim is always portrayed as perfect and the perp is unmitigated evil. But we're human. No one is perfect just as few are truly evil. It's not a tv show with characters painted black or white

They'd been all that way to Adelaide and back in one day. The youngest boy could well have been teething. Long way to go with two little kids. Couldn't afford to stay overnight, hence that long stressful trip? We don't know what sort of financial pressures they were under but that trip alone would bring out the worst in even the happiest couple. And where did they go ... a museum. Lovely innocent couple and their babies. They went to the museum. Not a night club, not a week at the beach although they would both most likely have loved that. So maybe he'd listened to her need to see and do more and they'd gone for a day out -- viewed some 'culture'. No comparison to Germany of course, but maybe he hoped it would make her a little bit happier?

The thing that breaks my heart is the image of him burying her on his own. I won't be surprised to learn he put precious momentoes with her. I don't think it was a planned murder. I believe he was desperate and glad to die and did so as soon as there was someone there (investigators) to take responsibility for his mother and sons

<modsnip> He murdered her. Whatever 'poor Burden' went through in his life had nothing to do with her.

awww Laser I'm in awe of you, but I think you are too soft on him. . . I take on board all you say there.... and all of it may be real components of this particular marriage, but there are things that stick in my craw which incapacitate me from dealing out a backstage pass to this bloke.

(1)... his claim that she left the car at Roseworthy with a bag of cash, and without the kids. This is plainly nonsense, he knew it, the police knew it and it doesn't make sense that he then drove on the rest of the 250 klms without her!.. He was at that point, testing a narrative , seeing how it would lay down. The main thrust being.. I didn't do it, she left me, she took the money and ran, and I have been left holding the babies.

(2).. he then follows this up with, the police say, the claim that the marriage was in trouble, and that you could say is now true, since he has murdered her somewhere in the vicinity. That is certainly now, a marriage in trouble, but it doesn't follow that it was before, or that both knew it was in trouble. Many marriages that are in real strife, only one of the parties knows this....

(3)... he pre plans his suicide .... when, I don't know.. as soon as his mother arrives?... when he knows the police are coming?.. he loses control of that aspect when he fails to notify the police of her disappearance. Someone else does that. But his firm plan is to go out in a blaze of glory, taking the whole secret to the grave with him, leaving his boys with the lifelong horror.

(4) at some point in the conversation with the police, some one says, this is a murder. For Burdon, this appears to be his exit line, already planned. He was not coming back to Adelaide for further questioning. He had his gun ready for the off. He had no intention of revealing where her body is, it is the last gasp of total control over her, and nothing is going to come between him and that desire to die with that knowledge unrevealed, even for his sons......

So I see him as truly a born killer. He was able to maintain a solid front of a baffled husband in front of his mother for 7 days!.. in front of his kids for 7 days!... while her body was decomposing not that far away, because he would have had to take the kids when he buried her, or left them alone while he buried her, both positions untenable. He was as cool as a cucumber.

I'm seeing RED with PMT being mentioned. Really????

Trooper, if he'd been a born killer, if he'd wanted her dead, no better place and opportunity than right there on the farm. She was hands-on in all of it to judge from photos. The bike thing we see her on could have flipped at any time. She could have drowned in the dams. She could have fallen from a horse or cliff or roof or windmill. Dozens of ways to arrange a convincing tragic accident and head injuries resulting in sympathy for him, ability to keep the boys and the farm

He was a hopeless liar to the point he was begging to be found out. A half wit could have come up with lots better than a tale about a wife walking away from her children and spouse at 8.30 at night on the outskirts of a small town, minus passport, purse, phone. Doesn't pass muster. Nor does his claim that he drove away and left her like that

Despite having ample opportunity to kill her in a well staged and convincing accident on the farm, he instead drives with her and his children to Adelaide hundreds of kilometres away. They go to the museum and are captured on cctv looking like any normal family

It will take a lot to persuade me that he was a born killer. He was a hopelessly inept killer imo. Hopeless liar. And I think he only bothered lying at all for the sake of his mother

I don't see how it could have been premeditated because there was no planning apparent and his lies were see through

But we'll just have to see what emerges

'An independent South Australian Police Commissioner's inquiry has begun into Mr Burdon's death.'

this inquiry is a thing apart from the Coroners Inquest, and I am not surprised by it being organised.. Some-one in the police group attending that day was not up to speed, ... by the time the police went out and up to the station, the view was already formed that this was not a disappearance, but a murder, and when they got there , the last bloke to have seen her couldn't produce her again.

So they informed him that they were proceeding on the basis of it being a murder , that the body has to be produced forthwith, he being the prime suspect, then , god help us, they 'lose sight of him' momentarily. It is hard to credit how this could happen... in the house , with the children and his mother present.... A few SA coppers will lose rank over this, as it is almost unbelievably nuts..

'An independent South Australian Police Commissioner's inquiry has begun into Mr Burdon's death.'

this inquiry is a thing apart from the Coroners Inquest, and I am not surprised by it being organised.. Some-one in the police group attending that day was not up to speed, ... by the time the police went out and up to the station, the view was already formed that this was not a disappearance, but a murder, and when they got there , the last bloke to have seen her couldn't produce her again.

So they informed him that they were proceeding on the basis of it being a murder , that the body has to be produced forthwith, he being the prime suspect, then , god help us, they 'lose sight of him' momentarily. It is hard to credit how this could happen... in the house , with the children and his mother present.... A few SA coppers will lose rank over this, as it is almost unbelievably nuts..

But what if he wanted to use the toilet? A reasonable scenario. Would they be expected to go in there with him? They could have waited outside the door, but he could have had the gun loaded and ready to go in there.

But what if he wanted to use the toilet? A reasonable scenario. Would they be expected to go in there with him? They could have waited outside the door, but he could have had the gun loaded and ready to go in there.

yes... gone in with him. He was, at that point in time, the only major suspect in the disappearance of his wife.. The wife hasn't appeared from behind the aspidistra , she is not there. He doesn't know where she is, he says. He is the only witness to her last known sighting. Stick to him like glue.. that's why it would have been more than one policeman out there. .. the special Police Commission has obviously been gathered to find out exactly why he wasn't stuck to like glue from the moment the police arrived, and I regret to say, Jen, that a visit to the bathroom wont cut it as an explanation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back