Hurricane Irma

Status
Not open for further replies.
[video=twitter;906150224061747202]https://twitter.com/ChrisSuchanKCTV/status/906150224061747202[/video]

[FONT=&quot]NEW spaghetti plot modeling... looking for trends in clustering & there is a continued shift of track into SW FL
[/FONT]
DJNKlvtWAAAPo4Q.jpg

I didn't sleep well last night. So worried for so many. There was a report on CNN last night that left me reeling. Young Mom with a toddler and a baby only a few months old riding it out in her home in Homestead! A couple and their 2 dogs staying on their boat! I cant remember their location but I think in one of the keys. What is wrong with people!

Neat graphic showing the wind flows:

https://www.windy.com/?20.633,-64.688,4

you can even project ahead using the graph at the bottom of the page

This graph shows Irma coming on shore in Marathon in the Keys, then heading north through the Everglades, then just west of Naples/Marco Island, Bonita Springs, Fort Myers, Cape Coral, then just west of Orlando, then east of Ocala, Gainesville, Lake City, then heads into Georgia making a beeline for Atlanta, then skirts the Alabama northwest area then into Tennessee between Nashville and Memphis.

I didn't sleep well last night. So worried for so many. There was a report on CNN last night that left me reeling. Young Mom with a toddler and a baby only a few months old riding it out in her home in Homestead! A couple and their 2 dogs staying on their boat! I cant remember their location but I think in one of the keys. What is wrong with people!

I don't see a positive outcome for either one. I will be very upset if rescuers have to risk their lives in the height of the storm to save them. jmo and may not be popular.

From what I heard per CNN pops these folks who choose danger they are on their own.

From what I heard per CNN pops these folks who choose danger they are on their own.

Yes, they are. During Sandy, we were under a mandatory evacuation but did not leave. LE came to every door in the mandatory evacuation zone personally. We decided to stay so since we were homeowners, they could not force us out of our home but required each of us to to sign a form that basically said that we were advised of the mandatory evacuation and that if conditions are such that we need to leave, that we are on our own.

I have to admit my anxiety is building. I usually go to yoga on Friday, but I don't think I can concentrate.

Our neighbors are snowbirds, so we buttoned up their yard yesterday. We will do ours this PM. Have to clear out The Closet of Last Resort, which is in the center of the house, well away from outside walls.

On the up side, there is a gecko on my windowsill, I swear he is teasing the cat. He's been running back and forth, bobbing his head, for a good 10 minutes. The cat chases him back and forth! ETA: the gecko is out, the cat is in. No harm!

I don't see a positive outcome for either one. I will be very upset if rescuers have to risk their lives in the height of the storm to save them. jmo and may not be popular.

No, I agree with you.The adults are making their own decision, foolish as it is. The little ones and the dogs ~

No, I agree with you.The adults are making their own decision, foolish as it is. The little ones and the dogs ~

Agree. The vulnerable who are not able to make a choice. Madness.

I have to admit my anxiety is building. I usually go to yoga on Friday, but I don't think I can concentrate.

I hear you, having gone through Sandy I believe I have PTSD and can not watch the devastation and clean-up in Texas knowing these people have a long road ahead of them. And now I have anxiety knowing that millions of Floridians are going to go through the same thing that Texans are going through, that we went through. I'm still out of my house, hoping to get back in before Summer 2018.

Sandy wasn't scary or dangerous, just shocking. Irma is a combination of all three.

DH and I switched back & forth from CNN/Weather Channel last night. CNN provided a platform for several FL residents who were determined to ride out the storm in their respective homes, including some who live on watercraft. Just seemed wrong for these folks to ignore authorities and decide for themselves to do their own thing and promote it on cable TV. Hard to have sympathy for folks if they lose their homes or family members because they failed to heed expert advice and warnings. :moo:

Evacuation Traffic as of 9/8 at 10:20 am. Major change/first time I am seeing, is that some folks are now turning left from 75 north onto the I-10 corridor vs. heading into Georgia, and heading to the panhandle. I still don't see backup/slow traffice out of Jacksonville, and the folks on the west coast don't have traffic build-up from the Naples/Sarasota/Pinellas County/Tampa area as was seen in previous maps.

Evac9-8-1020am.JPG

Also, last night at the game with the evacuees it was nice to be able to quickly check my phone tapatalk, and see that embedded tweets could be seen with the copy/paste. :tyou: Phone information may be important for our folks if they don't have access to computers later down the road, and tapatalk uses soooo much less bandwith than the internet.
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.5410771,-84.8843961,6z/data=!5m1!1e1

Oh, those Hemingway cats!

http://www.tmz.com/2017/09/07/key-west-hemingway-house-hurricane-irma/

The legendary Ernest Hemingway home appears doomed ... an almost certain casualty of Hurricane Irma ... this according to local law enforcement. The Key West home -- made of wood and built in the 1850's -- sits about 16 feet above sea level, which is the highest point on the island. Law enforcement tells us they're expecting at least 15 feet of water to flood the area ... so the outcome is bleak.

The Hemingway Home's manager, 72-year-old Jacqui Sands, has already said she's staying put to maintain the home and its 55 or so roaming cats. Jacqui and some staff are boarding up and bunkering down.

MARIEL HEMINGWAY Tells Manager of Hemingway House - GET THE HELL OUT!!!
http://www.tmz.com/2017/09/08/marie...ome-key-west/?adid=sidebarwidget-most-popular

The adults may choose to stay but the kids don't have that choice.

CNN just interviewed guy with wife and two young children who plan to stay in their 11th floor apartment and ride out the storm. Shame on these parents for deliberately putting their children in harm's way. They've been told to evacuate, and CNN is even offering to help them leave their apartment and get to a shelter. They don't want to go. :rolleyes:

CNN just interviewed guy with wife and two young children who plan to stay in their 11th floor apartment and ride out the storm. Shame on these parents for deliberately putting their children in harm's way. They've been told to evacuate, and CNN is even offering to help them leave their apartment and get to a shelter. They don't want to go. :rolleyes:

Oh my goodness. The higher you are, the faster the winds. Fools. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member