Hurricane Irma

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's difficult, if not impossible to NOT judge families in this situation. I keep reminding myself that I'm not in their shoes and don't know their reasons. Maybe they're in shock or denial. Maybe they have nothing else; no other family to give them support. It's almost suicidal. God, it's just so hard to wrap my head around it.

[emoji202]MOO

I saw a couple being interviewed this morning. They are right on the beach in Miami Florida and live in a high rise condo on the second floor. The woman was laughing as if Irma is no big deal. The storm surge will be powerful in that area and I highly doubt she and her husband will be safe just being two stories up. It is the ones who can evacuate but don't because they think they can just ride it out that bothers me most. Yet, if they survive they will be the first ones to call 911 wanting first responders to come and rescue them.

IMO

That is one of the reasons I don't get my weather disaster coverage from CNN. I had just read last week where one of the reporters on the ground during Harvey staged a fake rescue. I find that outrageous if true which I imagine it is since CNN has been exposed lately for making up news stories.

I mostly watch the Weather Channel or Janice Dean on Fox. I followed her all during Harvey, and she was spot on.

IMO

RBBM

Don't know if you trust Snopes or not (I usually do), but they believe the CNN rescue was not faked. moo

http://www.snopes.com/cnn-staged-hurricane-harvey-rescue-video/

I have thought about how the expense of leaving could be prohibitive for some.... gas or airfares (for a family of 4 at cheap rates, there and then home again, would be enormous for many) are just a small portion of what they will need financially. So much for them to evaluate right now, the stress alone can be risky.

Hasn't Governor Scott said that anyone that cant afford to get out to call the hotline number and they will come and take them out?

RBBM

Don't know if you trust Snopes or not (I usually do), but they believe the CNN rescue was not faked. moo

http://www.snopes.com/cnn-staged-hurricane-harvey-rescue-video/

I don't want to go off topic but since Snopes has been exposed themselves for untruths I don't use them now to verify anything anymore.

But after reading many articles in the last few months where CNN has become the news story instead of reporting the news because of fake stories I tend to believe they did make up a mock rescue. JMO of course.

I saw a couple being interviewed this morning. They are right on the beach in Miami Florida and live in a high rise condo on the second floor. The woman was laughing as if Irma is no big deal. The storm surge will be powerful in that area and I highly doubt she and her husband will be safe just being two stories up. It is the ones who can evacuate but don't because they think they can just ride it out that bothers me most. Yet, if they survive they will be the first ones to call 911 wanting first responders to come and rescue them.

IMO

I saw that interview. She said something mocking about a 20 ft storm surge. *shakes head*

Anyone else in the Naples/ Bonita Springs area besides yours truly?

-Nin

What a difference an hour makes. 11:45 am screen shot. Folks now backed up from

Jacksonville to past Tallahassee on I-10 headed west is solid back up

East Florida all now almost solid back up to Atlanta

Savanah and Charleston folks, more back-ups for them

Back-ups now showing going into North Carolina

In France, the government clearly signposts routes bis, or alternative routes for those seeking to avoid (toll) motorways or other very busy roads. There's even a fold out roadmap with them marked. Maybe something like this could be done in hurricane areas to encourage people to use a wider variety of escape routes instead of everyone snarling up the interstates. A less obvious route that ordinarily is slower than an interstate may well be a damned sight faster if the interstate is at a standstill.

Hasn't Governor Scott said that anyone that cant afford to get out to call the hotline number and they will come and take them out?

I have not seen that, but glad to know it is a possibility for those who feel financially stuck. I hope they use it. Thanks.

I don't want to go off topic but since Snopes has been exposed themselves for untruths I don't use them now to verify anything anymore.

But after reading many articles in the last few months where CNN has become the news story instead of reporting the news because of fake stories I tend to believe they did make up a mock rescue. JMO of course.

I saw only one clip early on with the reporter talking abut the storm and a truck in the background was slowly driving along and then was drifting. The reporter immediately went to help and it all seemed sincere. That clip (I thought it was a live shot) has disappeared, or at least I can't find it again. I do think it was a true story, though I am afraid I can't give you a link now.

ETA: the full video is on this page:
https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...flooded-ditch-during-live-broadcast/23191634/

I cant believe how some pack up their cars and leave pets behind. How heartless. It should be criminal.

Jax29, can I please ask you a question?

My hubby works for an international chemical company and is in management but the Jacksonville terminal called yesterday and they are requesting a large amount of medical gases to be delivered before the storm hits so he left this morning to transport them along with others from our area. He said all of the area hospitals and medical facilities have requested to have much more on hand than is usually delivered each week.

Anyway, can you tell me how bad the traffic is in your area for the routes being taken out of Jacksonville that are being used by those evacuating? He left really early this morning and made it to Jacksonville around 10 am but he said all of the gas stations and convenience stores along the way had massive lines even that early and that was going toward Jacksonville.

TIA for any help you can give me. The kids and I are just wondering if there is a possibility he will be late getting in today due to traffic congestion. He is not allowed to use his cell phone when driving so we wont be able to hear from him until he gets in.

Maybe .... but if your area is not safe, what makes the church any safer? Where do they go without the finances or ability? (Not meaning to sound uppity, I hope this didn't come across that way.). I honestly don't know how people are doing this, especially those who don't know what/how to do it, or where they can manage to get to.

I was meaning for sheltering those who've evacuated to neighbouring states but either can't find room at the inn (ha!) or simply can't afford it. It was a response to an earlier comment about not being able to afford gouged motel prices. Maybe if churches took in evacuees, even for a bit of floor, a blanket and coffee and sandwiches, it would lessen the demand for rooms which makes it possible for motels to price gouge.

I cant believe how some pack up their cars and leave pets behind. How heartless. It should be criminal.

My husband and I have discussed that before. We both look over at Maggie and Tuxie, our beloved fur babies, and both agree we couldn't ever leave them behind. I don't know how anyone can do that. Our two are like our own children.

When we are in a tornado warning in our area the first thing we do is make sure they are in the hallway along with us protected under a mattress. We shield them more than we do ourselves.

IMO

Jax29, can I please ask you a question?

My hubby works for an international chemical company and is in management but the Jacksonville terminal called yesterday and they are requesting a large amount of medical gases to be delivered before the storm hits so he left this morning to transport them along with others from our area. He said all of the area hospitals and medical facilities have requested to have much more on hand than is usually delivered each week.

Anyway, can you tell me how bad the traffic is in your area for the routes being taken out of Jacksonville that are being used by those evacuating? He left really early this morning and made it to Jacksonville around 10 am but he said all of the gas stations and convenience stores along the way had massive lines even that early and that was going toward Jacksonville.

TIA for any help you can give me. The kids and I are just wondering if there is a possibility he will be late getting in today due to traffic congestion. He is not allowed to use his cell phone when driving so we wont be able to hear from him until he gets in.

I haven't been out but I'm hearing traffic is a mess and gas stations have been running out for days.

Your best bet if to check out the Traffic map Bently has been linking.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.0231592,-86.0466474,7z/data=!5m1!1e1

ETA: Yes, he will probably be late...question is how late.

Isn't that what churches are for?

Unless the church is in a mega-dome like Olsteen's, I'd guess many of the churches aren't much better off, structurally, than riding it out at home. There were a few in Katrina that were able to serve food and supplies out of their buildings, and house some volunteers, but the water marks were nearly up to the ceiling. Some of the big sports arenas, if they're covered, could open their doors.

I have thought about how the expense of leaving could be prohibitive for some.... gas or airfares (for a family of 4 at cheap rates, there and then home again, would be enormous for many) are just a small portion of what they will need financially. So much for them to evaluate right now, the stress alone can be risky.

And then when they get back to their homes, if they are uninhabitable, they'll have to find shelter and food and begin clean up, another enormous financial strain. It's a very long, expensive road.

I truly believe the only people who have some sort of normalcy are those that don't own a home, FEMA will pick them up and drop them off in a nice new city and give them money so they can start to rebuild their lives. These people don't have to deal with the headaches AND heartaches in dealing with insurance companies, inspections, mold, home damage, etc. etc. the list goes on and on,

We did not get FEMA assistance. We had flood and homeowners insurance. Once we filed a FEMA claim, they told us to deal with our insurance company for funds. Well, the insurance company only "reimburses" you. Who has thousand and thousands of dollars to get the house back to a livable condition. Luckily a neighbor told us that the insurance companies will give you a very small percentage of funds to being the process, but no one at FEMA or our insurance company mentioned that when we talked to them on the phone or when they visited the home to do an evaluation.

For the man/wife and their 4 year old living in the high-rise on 11th floor..IMO, if my only other option was to go to an overfilled shelter I'd have to say I'd rather stay in my own place and take my chances as long as I was prepared and had plenty of supplies/generator!! Unless of course that there was a 100 percent guarantee that we would all be safe at the shelter!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

With their pets, if they have them? I'd hope anyway.

Not me. Axes and ropes on attics, supplies in several locations, vehicles stocked and placed in several locations, generators. Pet in harness..;--)

-Nin

Unless the church is in a mega-dome like Olsteen's, I'd guess many of the churches aren't much better off, structurally, than riding it out at home. There were a few in Katrina that were able to serve food and supplies out of their buildings, and house some volunteers, but the water marks were nearly up to the ceiling. Some of the big sports arenas, if they're covered, could open their doors.

As I clarifed above, I'm not referring to churches in the danger area but those in areas to which people are fleeing. THOSE should be offering a place of refuge. Hopefully many are doing just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Tejas1821