Hurricane Irma

Status
Not open for further replies.
[video=twitter;905791249524903937]https://twitter.com/FLGovScott/status/905791249524903937[/video]

From Rick Scott, Governor: If you are concerned that you do not have a way to evacuate, please call our transportation hotline at 1-800-955-5504. We will get you out.[/FONT]

[video=twitter;905791249524903937]https://twitter.com/FLGovScott/status/905791249524903937[/video]
https://twitter.com/FLGovScott/status/905791249524903937
From Rick Scott, Governor: If you are concerned that you do not have a way to evacuate, please call our transportation hotline at 1-800-955-5504. We will get you out
:bump:

Anyone else in the Naples/ Bonita Springs area besides yours truly?

-Nin

Screen name with location list:

CARIIS = Orlando, Florida

Henry2326 = Charleston, South Carolina

Jax49 = Jacksonville, Florida--40 miles inland

oceanblueeyes = south Georgia (Lee County)

Turanna = Jupiter/West Palm Beach

Shin Masamura = Lakeland

Momrids6 = south east Georgia coast

Tripplogan = Jacksonville

Cat99 = Jacksonville

southernmimi = south Georgia

No it's not (NIN) = Florida

MaryG12 - Sarasota

katsrfun = Vero Beach, Florida

KinderedSpirits = Miramar (close to Miami)

Lonetraveler = Wilmington, North Carolina

SeesSeas =
West Central FL, Pinellas County, half mile from Tampa Bay

Greater Than = Miami

ATasteofHoney = barrier island (Florida)

AC's Grandma = near Tampa (out of state for now)

fraudqueen = north-central Florida, 3 blocks from Atlantic

Tabirey = Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

bluedivergirl = near Ocala

Skully = north of Tampa

NIN, I hope this might help a little. I believe this is the latest list of those who are possibly in Irma's path.

DeDee added your name a couple of days ago when there was a general shout-out. Feel free to edit your location more closely if you want.

We hope to make sure everyone is present and accounted for when this is all done.

Stay safe!!

Oh, those Hemingway cats!

http://www.tmz.com/2017/09/07/key-west-hemingway-house-hurricane-irma/

The legendary Ernest Hemingway home appears doomed ... an almost certain casualty of Hurricane Irma ... this according to local law enforcement. The Key West home -- made of wood and built in the 1850's -- sits about 16 feet above sea level, which is the highest point on the island. Law enforcement tells us they're expecting at least 15 feet of water to flood the area ... so the outcome is bleak.

The Hemingway Home's manager, 72-year-old Jacqui Sands, has already said she's staying put to maintain the home and its 55 or so roaming cats. Jacqui and some staff are boarding up and bunkering down.

MARIEL HEMINGWAY Tells Manager of Hemingway House - GET THE HELL OUT!!!
http://www.tmz.com/2017/09/08/marie...ome-key-west/?adid=sidebarwidget-most-popular

I know it's a special, and unique home, as is Key West unique, and the Everglades, and Naples, and, really, all of Florida, and it makes me so sad to see this monster heading Florida's way, but at the end of the day, they are not living breathing things, Mariel is right, I hope she grabs the cats and gets the H*LL OUT!!!

Jax29, can I please ask you a question?

My hubby works for an international chemical company and is in management but the Jacksonville terminal called yesterday and they are requesting a large amount of medical gases to be delivered before the storm hits so he left this morning to transport them along with others from our area. He said all of the area hospitals and medical facilities have requested to have much more on hand than is usually delivered each week.

Anyway, can you tell me how bad the traffic is in your area for the routes being taken out of Jacksonville that are being used by those evacuating? He left really early this morning and made it to Jacksonville around 10 am but he said all of the gas stations and convenience stores along the way had massive lines even that early and that was going toward Jacksonville.

TIA for any help you can give me. The kids and I are just wondering if there is a possibility he will be late getting in today due to traffic congestion. He is not allowed to use his cell phone when driving so we wont be able to hear from him until he gets in.

Not Jax, of course, but just want to say you've got a good man there, oceanblueeyes. One who's willing to go out on a limb for the well-being of countless others.

You have reason to be very proud of him. I know though that you hate to see him heading out into that traffic mess. Even worse when you can't communicate with him at all until he returns.

Hoping your children and their families are there with you now, or are on their way. Even though you're concerned you could be in Irma's path as well, I believe your gut is definitely telling you the right thing - they are safer with you than in their own homes.

Praying that your dh will get his deliveries done, and be able to return quickly. We'll be thinking of him and you.

Please let us know how it goes...

CNN just interviewed guy with wife and two young children who plan to stay in their 11th floor apartment and ride out the storm. Shame on these parents for deliberately putting their children in harm's way. They've been told to evacuate, and CNN is even offering to help them leave their apartment and get to a shelter. They don't want to go. :rolleyes:

Interesting, I wonder if this would fall under child neglect????

I know it's a special, and unique home, as is Key West unique, and the Everglades, and Naples, and, really, all of Florida, and it makes me so sad to see this monster heading Florida's way, but at the end of the day, they are not living breathing things, Mariel is right, I hope she grabs the cats and gets the H*LL OUT!!!

I hope those cats are rescued - my family went to the Hemingway House many many years ago back in the 1970's when I was little and of course loving cats the way I do, I thought they were the best part of the house museum.

I haven't been out but I'm hearing traffic is a mess and gas stations have been running out for days.

Your best bet if to check out the Traffic map Bently has been linking.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.0231592,-86.0466474,7z/data=!5m1!1e1

ETA: Yes, he will probably be late...question is how late.

Thank you so much for replying, and providing the link again. Yes, it looks like you are right, and he will be late getting in. I am sure it will get even worse as the day goes on, and I don't have any idea when he finally got to leave Jacksonville either. It will probably be much later than even me and the kids had thought. :(

Little more concerned than this morning. Storm cuts just on the edge of our county. Still okay, but mandatory evac for A & B zones. and all mobile homes. I am still good, staying put.

Shin Masamura = Lakeland

Cat99 = Jacksonville

No it's not (NIN) = Florida

MaryG12 - Sarasota

SeesSeas =

Greater Than = Miami

Skully = north of Tampa

Nin/ No it's not, Bonita Springs FL, 1 1/2 miles from the beach..yeah :rocker:

Oh, those Hemingway cats!

http://www.tmz.com/2017/09/07/key-west-hemingway-house-hurricane-irma/

The legendary Ernest Hemingway home appears doomed ... an almost certain casualty of Hurricane Irma ... this according to local law enforcement. The Key West home -- made of wood and built in the 1850's -- sits about 16 feet above sea level, which is the highest point on the island. Law enforcement tells us they're expecting at least 15 feet of water to flood the area ... so the outcome is bleak.

The Hemingway Home's manager, 72-year-old Jacqui Sands, has already said she's staying put to maintain the home and its 55 or so roaming cats. Jacqui and some staff are boarding up and bunkering down.

MARIEL HEMINGWAY Tells Manager of Hemingway House - GET THE HELL OUT!!!
http://www.tmz.com/2017/09/08/marie...ome-key-west/?adid=sidebarwidget-most-popular

While I won't argue about the wisdom of her choice I want to point out that the house is not wood but rather 18-inch limestone walls. It's managed to make it through hurricanes, starting with the Labor Day hurricane of 1935. Irma may break the streak but hopefully it'll make it through.

Jax29, can I please ask you a question?

My hubby works for an international chemical company and is in management but the Jacksonville terminal called yesterday and they are requesting a large amount of medical gases to be delivered before the storm hits so he left this morning to transport them along with others from our area. He said all of the area hospitals and medical facilities have requested to have much more on hand than is usually delivered each week.

Anyway, can you tell me how bad the traffic is in your area for the routes being taken out of Jacksonville that are being used by those evacuating? He left really early this morning and made it to Jacksonville around 10 am but he said all of the gas stations and convenience stores along the way had massive lines even that early and that was going toward Jacksonville.

TIA for any help you can give me. The kids and I are just wondering if there is a possibility he will be late getting in today due to traffic congestion. He is not allowed to use his cell phone when driving so we wont be able to hear from him until he gets in.

I'll put my thoughts in here also. Hopefully he has a droid phone and Google maps, with current traffic and time is taken into account if he uses Google map navigation application. But the traffic is changing moment by moment. There was a beta version on the internet long ago that folks on the internet could plug in the route and get the same info, but it doesn't seem to be taking it into account on google maps from my computer, and I can no longer find that version on the net.

So many exceptions with this storm, and hopefully management would allow him to use on the road? At the least, before he leaves he could give you an idea with this app, and when he stops again he could redo the map and give you another update? It can also route him onto less traveled roads which he may/may not be allowed to do?

ETA: I see he has already left Jacksonville. Others here at WS live there :doh: . They could open up their google map navigation RIGHT NOW and tell you how long the route is from Jax to a nearby city you live or at least Leesburg Georgia in Lee County!! Would that help?

Jax49, do you have a droid phone you could do that for her?

Thank you so much for replying, and providing the link again. Yes, it looks like you are right, and he will be late getting in. I am sure it will get even worse as the day goes on, and I don't have any idea when he finally got to leave Jacksonville either. It will probably be much later than even me and the kids had thought. :(

Just had a friend stop by. She just drove south from Callahan to Jax, and said traffic going north is terrible. Many vehicles have ran out of gas and are parked. She needed gas and had to wait 30 minutes for a tanker to resupply a station.

As I clarifed above, I'm not referring to churches in the danger area but those in areas to which people are fleeing. THOSE should be offering a place of refuge. Hopefully many are doing just that.

Just got on and missed your clarification but unless I've missed something everyone in Fla. is in the path of Irma. The entire state of Fla. That's what I meant that unless you can get into one of those megachurches, a sports stadium, you may just be safer at home if you can't evacuate, unless you live directly on the coast. Churches, unless they've been built in the last few years, may not be much better than sitting in the bathroom, or closet, closest to the center of your home, or near a stairwell, in your own home. My point was that if they are not structurally sound, opening them up to the public would be foolish. That goes for any structure.

I'm debating which thread is worse for me to read right now---anything in politivent or this thread.

Ok this thread is informative but I'm getting nervous like a long-tailed cat on a porch full of rocking chairs!

Thinking about you, ATOH. Please take care, and keep us posted...

Shin Masamura = Lakeland

Cat99 = Jacksonville

No it's not (NIN) =
Bonita Springs FL, 1 1/2 miles from the beach

MaryG12 - Sarasota

SeesSeas =

Greater Than = Miami

Skully = north of Tampa

I'll put my thoughts in here also. Hopefully he has a droid phone and Google maps, with current traffic and time is taken into account if he uses Google map navigation application. But the traffic is changing moment by moment. There was a beta version on the internet long ago that folks on the internet could plug in the route and get the same info, but it doesn't seem to be taking it into account on google maps from my computer, and I can no longer find that version on the net.

So many exceptions with this storm, and hopefully management would allow him to use on the road? At the least, before he leaves he could give you an idea with this app, and when he stops again he could redo the map and give you another update? It can also route him onto less traveled roads which he may/may not be allowed to do?

ETA: I see he has already left Jacksonville. Part of my family lives in Jax, or heck! Others here at WS live there :doh: . They could open up their google map navigation RIGHT NOW and tell you how long the route is from Jax to a nearby city you live or at least Leesburg Georgia in Lee County!! Would that help?

Jax49, do you have a droid phone you could do that for her?

Sorry, I don't.

Maybe someone else local can help out?

Shin Masamura = Lakeland

Cat99 = Jacksonville

No it's not (NIN) =
Bonita Springs FL, 1 1/2 miles from the beach

MaryG12 - Sarasota

SeesSeas =

Greater Than = Miami

Skully = north of Tampa

:praying: that our members will be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak