Hurricane Irma

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a difference an hour makes. 11:45 am screen shot. Folks now backed up from

Jacksonville to past Tallahassee on I-10 headed west is solid back up

East Florida all now almost solid back up to Atlanta (ETA: As of 12:15, it is solid slow now)

Savanah and Charleston folks, more back-ups for them

Back-ups now showing going into North Carolina

View attachment 122828

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.3350578,-81.2163358,6z/data=!5m1!1e1

Thanks Bentley! I just got word from my daughter that my son-in-law and the pets are near Crystal River and still heading north. He took a wide west detour because traffic is horrible. I just hope he can find enough back roads (and gas stations!) to make it to a safe spot! Daughter just texted that he's heading to Alabama.

From https://fl511.com/#:Alerts

FDOT, FHP Implements Limited Emergency Shoulder Use (ESU) Plan for Hurricane Irma on I-75 at Wildwood to the Georgia State Line.
There is no contraflow or one-way operation in use on Florida state roadways.

ETA: the Twitter page for fl511 https://twitter.com/FL511_state posts constant updates.

I hope those cats are rescued - my family went to the Hemingway House many many years ago back in the 1970's when I was little and of course loving cats the way I do, I thought they were the best part of the house museum.

I hope so too. I hope for all their sake that little 73 y/o lady changes her mind. If she doesn't, I fear she, the 55 cats at the home, along with all of the feral cats and chickens on the Key, will be swept out to sea.

I see you are from Sarasota. Another favorite place of ours. When we are there we usually stay on one of the little keys. I'm worried for all of those folks too. Be safe MaryG, my heart is with all of Fla and the ones already hit by Irma, and Harvey (and the earthquake, and the fires). 2017 has been a banner year for Mother Nature's wrath.

I'll put my thoughts in here also. Hopefully he has a droid phone and Google maps, with current traffic and time is taken into account if he uses Google map navigation application. But the traffic is changing moment by moment. There was a beta version on the internet long ago that folks on the internet could plug in the route and get the same info, but it doesn't seem to be taking it into account on google maps from my computer, and I can no longer find that version on the net.

So many exceptions with this storm, and hopefully management would allow him to use on the road? At the least, before he leaves he could give you an idea with this app, and when he stops again he could redo the map and give you another update? It can also route him onto less traveled roads which he may/may not be allowed to do?

ETA: I see he has already left Jacksonville. Others here at WS live there :doh: . They could open up their google map navigation RIGHT NOW and tell you how long the route is from Jax to a nearby city you live or at least Leesburg Georgia in Lee County!! Would that help?

Jax49, do you have a droid phone you could do that for her?

I'm not local but I'm getting 3:31 mins / 220 miles is the fastest route despite congestion currently causing delays...

(I-95S/US-17S/FL-228W ramp to I-10 for 66 miles, take exit 296B for I-75N to Valdosta for 118miles, to GA-112/GA-107 toward Ashburn for .2 then turn left on GA-107W/GA-112 SE Washington Ave for 1.8 miles, turn right onto GA-32W for 32 miles...)

Just had a friend stop by. She just drove south from Callahan to Jax, and said traffic going north is terrible. Many vehicles have r.

I've been reading stories online about this. Cars have been running out of gas and forced to pull aside. Kids and animals running around on the side of the road.

Something has to be done soon otherwise this is just another disaster as people will be hunkering down in vehicles along interstates and rest areas.

While I won't argue about the wisdom of her choice I want to point out that the house is not wood but rather 18-inch limestone walls. It's managed to make it through hurricanes, starting with the Labor Day hurricane of 1935. Irma may break the streak but hopefully it'll make it through.

I'd forgotten about the limestone walls. It might just be the only one left standing. I don't know that I'd risk it with Irma though. It's over 150 years old now, but I hope for her sake it stands. I guess we shall see, won't we.

I live in the midst of some really nasty fires, my son's father was evacuated due to the same fires, and it looked as if we would have to be as well. Keeping in mind we have

2 ferrets

4 cats

2 birds (1 finch and a meyer's macaw)

figuring out a plan to evacuate all of them as well as son's father's two dogs was difficult, and in the end we have had to take the birds to the vet to be boarded, but to not take any of them was unthinkable... They're more than pets, they are family.

My husband and I have discussed that before. We both look over at Maggie and Tuxie, our beloved fur babies, and both agree we couldn't ever leave them behind. I don't know how anyone can do that. Our two are like our own children.

When we are in a tornado warning in our area the first thing we do is make sure they are in the hallway along with us protected under a mattress. We shield them more than we do ourselves.

IMO

I'm not local but I'm getting 3:31 mins / 220 miles is the fastest route despite congestion currently causing delays...

(I-95S/US-17S/FL-228W ramp to I-10 for 66 miles, take exit 296B for I-75N to Valdosta for 118miles, to GA-112/GA-107 toward Ashburn for .2 then turn left on GA-107W/GA-112 SE Washington Ave for 1.8 miles, turn right onto GA-32W for 32 miles...)

:thinking: That is an average of 62 mph? :thinking:

If that is off a droid phone using real time traffic, that is surprising. That matches up to what I'm seeing on the computer, but I thought phones were real time. :dunno: I may be totally wrong as to my understanding, especially with those 4 accidents showing on 75, but let us know OBE.

Not Jax, of course, but just want to say you've got a good man there, oceanblueeyes. One who's willing to go out on a limb for the well-being of countless others.

You have reason to be very proud of him. I know though that you hate to see him heading out into that traffic mess. Even worse when you can't communicate with him at all until he returns.

Hoping your children and their families are there with you now, or are on their way. Even though you're concerned you could be in Irma's path as well, I believe your gut is definitely telling you the right thing - they are safer with you than in their own homes.

Praying that your dh will get his deliveries done, and be able to return quickly. We'll be thinking of him and you.

Please let us know how it goes...

Thank you for your kind words. I wish you, and everyone here knew my hubby personally. He truly is a wonderful kind, loving, and caring human being.

Just last night one of the daughters of our neighbors called to say they were bringing their elderly parents (mid 80s) to stay in their second home here which sits next our home on the west side. They live in Miami. So my hubby decides he needs to buy another generator in case they also lose power, and that is exactly what he did after he came in from work yesterday. He not only takes care of all of us but he believes he should always help our neighbors. He also purchased four cases of bottled water for each neighbor and bought 6 cases for us. He has already set up one of his generators over at our neighbor's home on the east side of us. LOL he is the kind of man who prepares in advance.

He truly is the best man I have ever known and I know how truly blessed we all are to have him whether its our family or our friends.

Now he is very much a manly man :D but he has a heart of gold.

So now we all wait for him to come home. :)

Yes,they are here now, and finally arrived a little before noon today. They just laid down to take a nap and I don't blame them. LOL! They were exhausted due to the traffic being so congested.

I am praying for all who may be in the path of Irma and am hoping for the best outcome possible.

Stay alert and safe everyone. BBLO!

OBE, My SIL in Jacksonville just did on her phone navigation.

Her phone says 5 hours from Jax to Leesburg GA, also exiting 75 at Valdosta. FYI

:hug: to you and :grouphug: to your hubby from all of us who are waiting for him to come home.

Homeland Security Adviser, Tom Bossert, speaking at White House. Encouraging anyone who has been ordered to evacuate to cooperate with their local officials.

That is an average of 62 mph?

If that is off a droid phone using real time traffic, that is surprising. That matches up to what I'm seeing on the computer, but I thought phones were real time. :dunno: I may be totally wrong as to my understanding, especially with those 4 accidents showing on 75, but let us know OBE.

YES it is but apparently not real time :dunno:

:sorry: everyone....PLEASE BE SAFE!!!!!! :please:

I don't know if this is the case, or not, but another Floridian, on an acquaintances s.m., suggested to do this;

Empty your dishwasher, and put anything you want to preserver, but can't take with you, inside there. Your dishwasher is waterproof and most are secured to cabinetry, so it is more likely to survive the storm.

Thought I'd pass it along. Again, it's 2nd hand advice. Not sure how well it would work.

Sounds like it might work. Just be sure to somehow protect the "START" button from accidentally getting pushed! :eek:

Miami-Dade residents can check out a list of evacuation zones with corresponding shelters here. http://mdc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/LocalPerspective/index.html?appid=369c9d9398b241d18ff6b47bec974f0e

As of noon on Friday, only 12 shelters were open but authorities are offering to open up to 40 shelters by the end of the day.

The following Miami-Dade shelters are currently open. We will be updating it as more information becomes available:

Hialeah Gardens Sr High (11700 Hialeah Gardens Blvd/Miami Gardens)
Barbara Goleman Sr High (14100 NW 89th Ave/Miami Lakes)
Hialeah Middle School (6027 E 7th Ave/Hialeah)
Miami Carol City Sr High (Miami Gardens)
Miami Central Sr High (Miami)
North Miami Sr High (North Miami)
North Miami Beach Sr High (North Miami Beach)
Robert Morgan Education Center in South Dade (18180 SW 122nd Ave)

(Reminder: Miami-Dade officials urge people going to shelters to bring their own supplies, including food, water, medicine and bedding for 3 to 5 days.)

These Miami-Dade shelters are already at full capacity, and are not taking any new people:

Felix Varela Sr High (West Kendall)
TERRA Environmental (Miami)
Pet Friendly Shelter (Miami)
South Miami Sr High (South Miami)

These Miami-Dade transit parking garages may be used to park personal cars, and are open on a first come, first served basis:

Dadeland South – 9150 Dadeland Boulevard
Dadeland North – 8300 South Dixie Highway
South Miami – 5949 Sunset Drive
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. – 6205 NW 27 Avenue
Earlington Heights – 2100 NW 41 Street
Okeechobee – 2005 West Okeechobee Road
Brownsville – 5200 NW 27 Avenue
Santa Clara – 2050 NW 12 Avenue

These Broward County shelters are currently open:

Everglades High School (pet-friendly shelter; please ensure pets have carriers) – 17100 SW 48th Ct. in Miramar, opens on Sept. 9, 2017 at 1 p.m. More information about pet guidelines here.
Lyons Creek Middle School -- 4333 Sol Press Blvd., Coconut Creek, FL 33073
Monarch High School -- 5050 Wiles Rd., Coconut Creek, FL 33073
Fox Trail Elementary School -- 1250 Nob Hill Rd., Davie, FL 33324
Rock Island Elementary -- 2350 N.W. 19th Street, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33311
Atlantic Technical (Arthur Ashe) -- 1701 N.W. 23rd Ave., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33311
Park Lakes Elementary School -- 3925 N. State Rd. 7, Lauderdale Lakes, FL 33319
New Renaissance Middle School -- 10701 Miramar Blvd., Miramar, FL 33025
Everglades High School -- 17100 SW 48TH CT, Miramar, FL 33027
Watkins Elementary School -- 3520 S.W. 52nd Ave., Pembroke Park, FL 33023
West Broward High School -- 500 NW 209 Ave., Pembroke Pines, FL 33029
Plantation Elementary School -- 651 N.W. 42nd Ave., Plantation, FL 33317
Falcon Cove Middle School -- 4251 Bonaventure Blvd., Weston, FL 33332

Palm Beach County residents can find most of their shelters located near the eastern part of the county. See exactly where the emergency shelters are located here. http://discover.pbcgov.org/publicsafety/dem/Publications/SheltersInfo.pdf

If you’re in Monroe County, you can find your evacuation shelters, mostly located at fire stations, here http://www.monroecountyem.com/facilities.aspx

Find the closest Hurricane Bus Pickup Site, click here and enter your address: http://mdc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/LocalPerspective/index.html?appid=1370616f290c4dcda3dad3da7da81cc8

You can also download the American Red Cross's Hurricane app, which will show you a map of open shelters nearby here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hurricane-by-american-red/id545689128?mt=8

http://www.miamidade.gov/emergency/home.asp

As Hurricane Irma works its way to Florida's coast, feelings of stress and anxiety may also be brewing for those anticipating its effects:

The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's (SAMHSA) Disaster Distress Helpline is available for immediate counseling to anyone affected by the impending hurricane and storms in Florida, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The helpline connects callers to trained professionals from the closest crisis counseling center. Those answering the phones can provide confidential counseling, referrals and other needed support services.
https://www.samhsa.gov/find-help/disaster-distress-helpline

The call center is toll-free, multilingual and can be reached by phone or online. To contact the disaster distress helpline call 1-800-985-5990.

http://wlrn.org/post/disaster-distress-helpline-available-those-irmas-path

Thank you for your kind words. I wish you, and everyone here knew my hubby personally. He truly is a wonderful kind, loving, and caring human being.

Just last night one of the daughters of our neighbors called to say they were bringing their elderly parents (mid 80s) to stay in their second home here which sits next our home on the west side. They live in Miami. So my hubby decides he needs to buy another generator in case they also lose power, and that is exactly what he did after he came in from work yesterday. He not only takes care of all of us but he believes he should always help our neighbors. He also purchased four cases of bottled water for each neighbor and bought 6 cases for us. He has already set up one of his generators over at our neighbor's home on the east side of us. LOL he is the kind of man who prepares in advance.

He truly is the best man I have ever known and I know how truly blessed we all are to have him whether its our family or our friends.

Now he is very much a manly man :D but he has a heart of gold.

So now we all wait for him to come home. :)

Yes,they are here now, and finally arrived a little before noon today. They just laid down to take a nap and I don't blame them. LOL! They were exhausted due to the traffic being so congested.

I am praying for all who may be in the path of Irma and am hoping for the best outcome possible.

Stay alert and safe everyone. BBLO!

RBBM

Your DH sounds like my DH. We are both blessed to have such men in our lives.

Praying for you, and all else, who are affected by Irma.

Adding my "Hope" computer button, which will be pressed many times!

attachment.php

Attachments

• blueHopeKeyboardImageSmaller.jpg
    blueHopeKeyboardImageSmaller.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 120
This is so hard to follow. My heart goes out to those in the path. We are a Community here and we care. For those following who have triggers from past experience please do some self care. Cognitive Therapy helps. Which I embrace and teach as well as implement in services I provide. Despite that periodically I see Dr. England to get me back on track. My triggers are loud noises and lightening, fire stemming from a childhood experience. Know your triggers and please take care.

I don't know if this is the case, or not, but another Floridian, on an acquaintances s.m., suggested to do this;

Empty your dishwasher, and put anything you want to preserver, but can't take with you, inside there. Your dishwasher is waterproof and most are secured to cabinetry, so it is more likely to survive the storm.

Thought I'd pass it along. Again, it's 2nd hand advice. Not sure how well it would work.
Sounds like it might work. Just be sure to somehow protect the "START" button from accidentally getting pushed! :eek:

Dishwasher not a safe place for valuables -
http://www.tampabay.com/news/public...-myths-about-hurricane-prep-to-forget/2336675
Hurricane Irma: 5 myths about hurricane prep to forget
Thursday, September 7, 2017 6:38pm
[…]

MYTH:

The dishwasher is a safe place to keep valuables you don't want to get wet
It's not a good idea to keep valuables in your dishwasher, said Ralph Feldkamp, the owner of Ralph's Appliance & Air Conditioning Repair in St. Petersburg. Dishwashers don't keep water out.
Feldkamp said if your home is flooded, so will your dishwasher. He said he sees a lot of flooded dishwashers in Shore Acres. The low-lying neighborhood in northeast St. Petersburg is one of the most flood-prone areas in Tampa Bay.
Besides flooding, extreme wind can tear apart the interior of your residence, including appliances.
"If your dishwasher gets ripped then your valuables are going to be floating around the neighborhood," he said.
There's also the possibility that your dishwasher will turn on during the storm, which would not bode well for your valuables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phernandez22