***Breaking News***DCF Shelter and GAL Custody Hearings Thread #3

So I guess maybe it should have been filed earlier...
I was hoping they'd be able to move before summer was over.
A good parent (even if INNOCENT) would not want their children around for trial.
It'd be different if they were babies but it will be all over the news... school... everywhere. :(

It’s been a while since I kept up with this case - I’d appreciate if someone can answer a couple of questions:

• Have there been any petitions to terminate M’s parental rights, and has the court ruled on this?

• What is the status of M’s criminal case?

• When is the trial?

• If I understand correctly, the grandmother has custody of the kids, but she is not a permanent conservator or guardian?

• Mark’s brother has intervened in the child welfare case to adopt the kids with Mark’s consent?

I read gitana’s comments - and I don’t know Florida law, but in my state a “consent to adopt” comes in the form of a “relinquishment” of parental rights; and while the parent can designate their preference for adoptive parents, the relinquishment is not conditional on the parental preference being followed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It’s been a while since I kept up with this case - I’d appreciate if someone can answer a couple of questions:

• Have there been any petitions to terminate M’s parental rights, and has the court ruled on this?

• What is the status of M’s criminal case?

• When is the trial?

• If I understand correctly, the grandmother has custody of the kids, but she is not a permanent conservator or guardian?

• Mark’s brother has intervened in the child welfare case to adopt the kids with Mark’s consent?

I read gitana’s comments - and I don’t know Florida law, but in my state a “consent to adopt” comes in the form of a “relinquishment” of parental rights; and while the parent can designate their preference for adoptive parents, the relinquishment is not conditional on the parental preference being followed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi Minor.

I think in Florida consent to adopt is the same as consent to relinquishment. But read the cases I cited. That consent is withdrawn and no relinquishment will occur if his preferences over adoption aren't agreed to. So in Florida it is conditional. Very strange and threw me for a loop at first.

So i think the consent to adopt goes along with the brother's petition to intervene and adopt. There have been no rulings on that yet.

I don't know the status of the criminal cases. Or when the trial is.

The maternal grandmother is indeed the permanent guardian.

Mark's brother has intervened with his consent. They're trying to take back custody and prevent her from leaving the state with the kids (although they'd be going to Minnesota if he was allowed to adopt).

Hi Minor.

I think in Florida consent to adopt is the same as consent to relinquishment. But read the cases I cited. That consent is withdrawn and no relinquishment will occur if his preferences over adoption aren't agreed to. So in Florida it is conditional. Very strange and threw me for a loop at first.

So i think the consent to adopt goes along with the brother's petition to intervene and adopt. There have been no rulings on that yet.

Mark's brother has intervened with his consent. They're trying to take back custody and prevent her from leaving the state with the kids (although they'd be going to Minnesota if he was allowed to adopt).

According to media, NBC 2 News WBBH, Aug 15, 2017, Scott Sievers lives in Missouri. Why would he then be taking the girls to Minnesota IF he gets to adopt?

Also, many many months ago, media said that Mark Sievers brother was an attorney, then was studying to be an attorney. Does anyone know?

Edit....if the SS I googled is right, he is an attorney in MN....must be new?

Just thinking out loud.....how much has he really seen the girls and been in their lives?

On Ipad so I cannot link the above article...sorry

According to media, NBC 2 News WBBH, Aug 15, 2017, Scott Sievers lives in Missouri. Why would he then be taking the girls to Minnesota IF he gets to adopt?

Also, many many months ago, media said that Mark Sievers brother was an attorney, then was studying to be an attorney. Does anyone know?

Edit....if the SS I googled is right, he is an attorney in MN....must be new?

Just thinking out loud.....how much has he really seen the girls and been in their lives?

On Ipad so I cannot link the above article...sorry

Because I made a mistake and wrote Minnesota instead of Missouri.

Hi Minor.

Thanks for the info. I don’t see the Court giving the kids to Mark’s brother.

From Hoosgirl's link:

The two girls wer home-schooled before their mom was killed, but were enrolled in school last year at Bonita Springs Charter School. Since then, their grandmother testified, one of the girls has been upset three times — twice by students and once by a teacher who spoke about the homicide case during class.

"The last week of school I got a call from an assistant principal that a teacher had done something," Groves said. "The teacher said, 'Oh, you have the same last name of the doctor who was allegedly murdered by her husband.''

<bbm>A teacher said that? That's more like something a kid would say in the playground.

Children are children, but that's incredibly shoddy behaviour on the teacher's part. Does anyone know if Sievers is an unusual name there? Strange thing for an adult to mention, never mind a teacher who I'd have thought would be aware of the girls' circumstances.

There are many reasons the girls should be moved away from Florida. The school environment is a major one.

Their young minds, what must be going on in inside of them. Too sad - and anger inducing - for words. :(

From Hoosgirl's link:

<bbm>A teacher said that? That's more like something a kid would say in the playground.

Children are children, but that's incredibly shoddy behaviour on the teacher's part. Does anyone know if Sievers is an unusual name there? Strange thing for an adult to mention, never mind a teacher who I'd have thought would be aware of the girls' circumstances.

There are many reasons the girls should be moved away from Florida. The school environment is a major one.

Their young minds, what must be going on in inside of them. Too sad - and anger inducing - for words. :(

I would think the Judge would allow the Principal of the girls school to address the staff and faculty who need to know, if not all of them, making them aware of the girls and the situation. Working in a school, we had situations where we needed to know information and were told, just what we needed to know. If others needed more info then they were told it. It sure helped defuse incidents and protect the children

No matter where the girls go to live/school they will have the possibility of someone knowing what is going on. The only way to really protect the girls would be to change their last names...that would not always work either.

Hopefully the girls counselors can help them come back with a verbal response if no adult is around to handle that. If this was a teacher, I hope she was corrected....I am saying that nicely. If it was other students then the school body knows. Only can hope the parents would teach their children to be sensitive...but that is easier said then done.

In all I hope what is decided is the best for the young girls.

I figure no news on this subject is good news. That the Judge has kept a gag order on the case. If anything is leaked....The Judge would be unhappy and I bet would sanction that person. I am sure the defense lawyers are being very careful....more so then in the beginning of this case.

There's a hearing on Friday. Not sure what it's about, maybe a technicality now that MS has been found guilty?

16-DR-001179 : Groves, Mary Ann Petitioner vs Sievers, Mark Respondent
Case Type: Custody
Date Filed: 03/21/2016
12/20/2019 CADR Abatement - Fuller, Joseph C, Jr. 9:00 AM Courtroom 4-N

https://matrix.leeclerk.org/Cases/Search
Final steps to end the custody case with Mark, JMO.....

CADR stands for Collaboration and Alternative Dispute Resolution. It is a standard method of reducing litigation by bringing both parties together to mediate the dispute. Abatement on the other hand means to suppress or terminate something. Thus, CADR Abatement translates to avoiding litigation.
What is Abatement and the Law - JustAnswer
www.justanswer.com/topics-abatement/

I hope this is the answer. STATE OF FLORIDA
Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Grounds for termination of parental rights.—
(d) When the parent of a child is incarcerated and either:
1. The period of time for which the parent is expected to be incarcerated will constitute a significant portion of the child’s minority. When determining whether the period of time is significant, the court shall consider the child’s age and the child’s need for a permanent and stable home. The period of time begins on the date that the parent enters into incarceration;
2. The incarcerated parent has been determined by the court to be a violent career criminal as defined in s. 775.084, a habitual violent felony offender as defined in s. 775.084, or a sexual predator as defined in s. 775.21;has been convicted of first degree or second degree murder in violation of s. 782.04 or a sexual battery that constitutes a capital, life, or first degree felony violation of s. 794.011; or has been convicted of an offense in another jurisdiction which is substantially similar to one of the offenses listed in this paragraph. As used in this section, the term “substantially similar offense” means any offense that is substantially similar in elements and penalties to one of those listed in this subparagraph, and that is in violation of a law of any other jurisdiction, whether that of another state, the District of Columbia, the United States or any possession or territory thereof, or any foreign jurisdiction; or

And then please let these people try to heal!! Rest in peace, teresa !!

Final steps to end the custody case with Mark, JMO.....

CADR stands for Collaboration and Alternative Dispute Resolution. It is a standard method of reducing litigation by bringing both parties together to mediate the dispute. Abatement on the other hand means to suppress or terminate something. Thus, CADR Abatement translates to avoiding litigation.
What is Abatement and the Law - JustAnswer
www.justanswer.com/topics-abatement/
Anyone hear anymore about this?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members