NV - 59 Dead, over 500 injured in Mandalay Bay shooting in Las Vegas, 1 Oct 2017 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see whether anyone answered my earlier question.... is this type of gun legal in America? Who would have access to (what I, in my naivety, would call) a machine gun?

I am not sure, and I would like to know, too.

I know that in many of these other mass shootings, the guns used WERE in fact legal, and were some pretty scary paramilitary-looking things.

Here in the US, it's pretty easy to get all kinds of guns. Even fully automatic assault rifles. Must seem weird to those of you in other countries. Heck, it is weird to ME.

I only hope the casualty numbers do not grow. But I am being naive, I fear.

I'm hesitant to click thru on any of the tabloid-like media links. Too much aggregated news sources, rumor, and little if no original reporting. Makes me queasy.

[emoji202]MOO

I've linked main of the most major news sources in the first few pages that are covering this while I was in adrenaline Rainman mode ( :blushing:) , abc, aj, bbc, cbs, cnn, NBC, Newsweek, nyt, post, etc so we'd have them all internally. (Posted apologies on that earlier for no snippets).

I was just on her FB for a long time---wish I hadn't just closed it cuz now it's gone.
(Rsbm)

This is so odd. I didn't see any religious or political memes to account for a violent outburst like this.

She was wearing a Santa hat in a Christmas picture, so I don't see any reason she'd want to shoot up a Christian Country Music festival.

I don't understand the motive at all.

I can't find any source that promoted this festival as a "Christian country music festival." But of course my Google feed is showing pages of news results, so this fact might be hidden

Link, please? TIA!!

[emoji202]MOO

I know that in many of these other mass shootings, the guns used WERE in fact legal, and were some pretty scary paramilitary-looking things.

Here in the US, it's pretty easy to get all kinds of guns. Even fully automatic assault rifles. Must seem weird to those of you in other countries. Heck, it is weird to ME.

Wasn't there a temporary ban on some assault rifles under the Clinton administration that was allowed to lapse by Dubya's?

President Trump Tweeted, "My warmest condolences and sympathies to the victims and families of the terrible Las Vegas shooting. God bless you!" My warmest condolences - seriously? That is wrong on so many levels... Sigh. :gaah:

"warmest condolences"....as if someone's cuddly old granny just passed away in her sleep.

I think these types of gun are not legal.........not allowed.

Of course not every one abides

Was it an AR-15 that the shooter used? By the sound of the gunfire that people recorded on their electronic devices, the gun sounded very well maintained (no hesitation in firing, no jamming, etc). He reloaded as well, right?

I don't know if it was an AR or not but the newer AR's can take some abuse (if you pay for a quality one) I can say that from the vid I saw that was close to the shooter it sounded like an AR. From the vid down in the audience where it not as loud it sounded more like a Storm Carbine

I can't see whether anyone answered my earlier question.... is this type of gun legal in America? Who would have access to (what I, in my naivety, would call) a machine gun?

military is the only ones who can legally have this weapon if I understand this or you can buy a semi auto and covert it if you know how. With all the gun shows I would not be shocked if you could obtain one if you had the cash and the right connections

President Trump Tweeted, "My warmest condolences and sympathies to the victims and families of the terrible Las Vegas shooting. God bless you!" My warmest condolences - seriously? That is wrong on so many levels... Sigh. :gaah:

I'm sure he meant "deepest" -- but it really should be corrected with a new tweet

When over 100 people are shot, and 20 get killed I call that TERRORISM!

No necessarily. The purpose of terrorism is to use fear to bring about political change.

If this individual's intention was imply to cause maximum casualties for personal rather than political reasons then that wouldn't be terrorism.

the guy is old enough to have been in Viet Nam, my brother brought back all kinds of guns, knives, diamonds etc from his service, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was his from the war

I don't know what the process is for getting one, but yes, they are legal. I know one person who has one (AR-15). I've shot his gun at a range. I have no clue if this has anything to do with it, but he has a pretty high government clearance as a govt. contractor.

JMO
Its practically impossible to legally own fully automatic unless you are a special VIP type person like you mention. And there are a ton of forms and official paperwork involved which means that 99.9% of people could never legally get approved to ever own one.

And not only that they are not sold in any gun store because pretty much nobody can legally own one or buy one. So you never ever see them in gun stores. They are basically illegal.

Just the military is the only place where I would expect to see those types of weapons.

So its a mystery to me how this guy even got ahold of one. The only thing I can think of is he may have illegally modified a semi automatic and made it into a fully automatic weapon.

Its either that or he somehow knew someone in the military and somehow stole one or something along those lines.

JMO of course

military is the only ones who can legally have this weapon if I understand this or you can buy a semi auto and covert it if you know how. With all the gun shows I would not be shocked if you could obtain one if you had the cash and the right connections

It's not that hard to find someone that can convert an AR.. Even more so if you run in those circles.

And yes, there tons of gun nuts that can do it.

Terrible news to wake up to. Many wonderful memories of Mandalay Bay. Our Son was married there a year and a half ago. Heartbreaking news. WHY!!!!!!!!

I only hope the casualty numbers do not grow. But I am being naive, I fear.

It seems totally bonkers. Hand guns I (reluctantly) understand for protecting yourself, hell I think I'd have to have one if I lived there knowing every other person did, but I can't see how these types of mass murder weapons can be justified for anything except a battlefield situation.

Anyway, it's not the time or the place. This particular incident is truly shocking, one of the biggest mass shootings anywhere in the world, ever.

It's called the 'Route 91 Harvest Festival', and there is nothing at all on their website or promotional advertising that states (or even suggests) that this is a 'Christian Country Music Festival'. Thus, this festival appears to me like your average non-religious Country Music Festival (I am a musician, and attend all kinds of music fests). Seriously, we need to make sure we're not at all, ever, engaged in perpetuating rumor, let alone fake news!

I can't find any source that promoted this festival as a "Christian country music festival." But of course my Google feed is showing pages of news results, so this fact might be hidden

Link, please? TIA!!

[emoji202]MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members