Found Deceased CA - David Steen, 57, Apple Valley, 16 Sept 2017

In MN, they do not even give LE info. They refused to call LE to inform them someone was being discharged, regardless of the fact that they had warrants or not.

In MN, they do not even give LE info. They refused to call LE to inform them someone was being discharged, regardless of the fact that they had warrants or not.

It sounds like MN is possibly acting outside the boundaries set by HIPAA which do allow them to notify LE. However, state privacy laws override HIPAA when state laws are more protective of privacy. But that doesn’t necessarily apply to LE requests. The only info I could find for MN is here....
https://threelinks.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/PrivPracticeThreeLinks.pdf

Here is what federal law says....

The Privacy Rule permits a HIPAA covered entity, such as a hospital, to disclose certain protected health information, including the date and time of admission and discharge, in response to a law enforcement official’s request, for the purpose of locating or identifying a suspect, fugitive, material witness, or missing person.

Other Privacy Rule provisions also may be relevant depending on the circumstances, such as where a law enforcement official is seeking information about a person who may not raise to the level of a suspect, fugitive, material witness, or missing person,

The Rule also permits covered entities to respond to court orders and court-ordered warrants, and subpoenas and summonses issued by judicial officers.

https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-profe...r-other-mental-health-facility-be-placed.html

A simpler version

https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-profe...close-to-law-enforcement-officials/index.html

I appreciate the HIPPA laws on a certain level, but I also think that anytime there is a legal or criminal concern, the system needs to at least allow for acknowledgement of presence.

I appreciate the HIPPA laws on a certain level, but I also think that anytime there is a legal or criminal concern, the system needs to at least allow for acknowledgement of presence.

I got the impression from the links above that it does allow leeway like that in legal and criminal situations and even regarding a missing person.

Looks like they are. Thanks for the info. I am going to send it to some friends.

Bumping for Dave.

New account but longtime member, my other username is too identifiable...

Though I haven't seen Dave in many years, we had spent some time together. Our groups are estranged.

Just some insights in case they help, though it looks like family and friends are on board.

He's described as slim, but he is tough as nails slim. He is literally the last person you want to get in a fight with, both because of his strength and the fact that he won't quit. He is also very intelligent, though you wouldn't know it until something trivia came up and he knows the answers.

I can't speak to his mental state because it's been so long. He would be familiar with the detox facility procedure though and that's a possibility, but it's been over a month now.

It's telling that his car hasn't been found. Accident? Runner? I hope the family get answers soon.

Neither man has been heard from or found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bumping for Dave.

New account but longtime member, my other username is too identifiable...

Though I haven't seen Dave in many years, we had spent some time together. Our groups are estranged.

Just some insights in case they help, though it looks like family and friends are on board.

He's described as slim, but he is tough as nails slim. He is literally the last person you want to get in a fight with, both because of his strength and the fact that he won't quit. He is also very intelligent, though you wouldn't know it until something trivia came up and he knows the answers.

I can't speak to his mental state because it's been so long. He would be familiar with the detox facility procedure though and that's a possibility, but it's been over a month now.

It's telling that his car hasn't been found. Accident? Runner? I hope the family get answers soon.

Thank you for sharing. I haven’t seen any updates on his case.

bump bump bump...

nothing new at all either way on the FB page (post 5) or the California Missing page.

Also missing from same area (thanks to posters in Randy's thread for making the connection) putting this here too: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...le-Valley-16-Aug-2017&p=13768980#post13768980

Apple Valley is the high desert area, lots of drugs IMO, not enough work... Population is about 70K and these 2 men, both missing from same area within several weeks of each other...

Bumping this for David. I am surprised that at least his car has not been found at this time.

Thanks for bumping @siliconrod. I was just coming to check on this thread. I just bumped a thread about another man who is still missing from Apple Valley.

What’s MN?

MN refers to the state of Minnesota or at least I think that' what the poster was referring to.

Ah, ok. I think the poster mistakenly thought this was Apple Valley MN.

No. MN is where I am from. I was just speaking of what I know from the state I had dealt with.

Ah, ok. I think the poster mistakenly thought this was Apple Valley MN.

Any updates on David's case. I assume that he or his car have not been found.

His car should have been found by now. Unless it's down a cliff or underwater. Or being hidden in someone's garage, warehouse or barn.

NAMUS https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/show/39918

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back