MS - Jessica Chambers, 19, Panola County, Dec 2014 #3 *MISTRIAL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prosecution needs to spend more time focusing on the pronunciation of "Eric" by someone with JC's injuries. IMO she was trying to say Tellis. It is very common for L to be pronounced as R in Japanese and other Asian languages. They need more testimony from linguistic experts. It is virtually impossible for someone with her injuries to pronounce the letter S and the letter L. Tellis would almost assuredly sound like "Derek" or "Eric." She probably referred to him as Tellis not Quinton and imo that is what she was trying to say.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

It was said she pronounced "Chambers" as "Tambers" or something similar. She could make a T sound.

And what does speaking Japanese have to do with it?

Maradentro,

My suggestion would be to ask the jurors to recall their childhood, when they probably tried to speak while holding their tongues: "My father works in a shipyard..."

Regards,
Clouseau
Or get them to hold their tongues and say Tellis. It is pretty obvious this is the name she was trying to give first responders. I doubt many people even called him Quentin. She knew him as Tellis. That's why when they asked her "Derek's" last name she said it again. Tellis.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Where did you get the idea that Jessica knew him as 'Tellis'? I have followed this case from the beginning, and followed the entire trial, and this is the first time I have heard this. Do you have a link to this information or is it just your guess?

ETA...this is in response to Maradentro's post, but for some reason it didnt include the post.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

honestly I get that many like to banter back and forth on what she said...but many think it is is Eric and apparently so did many of the jurors....I don't get what will change in a new trial with this Eric issue...some of the ways that people are trying to turn it into so many other things seem a real stretch. I am just not convinced that another trial will be much different other than hopefully a jury that understands the instructions and verdict options. In fact if the jury is more savvy it would be a worse result for state as I have to wonder if they jury even got 'reasonable doubt".

wow...if this case is the stronger one I think Tellis could be in luck.

Cathy
@CCLawNewz
·
3h
Replying to @MyMick
Much more reasonable doubt in JC

https://mobile.twitter.com/CCLawNewz

I have also seen articles saying this (sorry, no links handy), and articles saying the reverse...so who knows.

Cathy
@CCLawNewz
·
Oct 17
#QuintonTellis - Louisiana will wait for retrial in #JessicaChambers case before moving ahead (link: http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/ne...murder-suspect-after-miss-mistrial/769945001/) thenewsstar.com/story/news/cri…

Who is this "Eric" or "Derrick" and where did he come from that night to light JC and her car on fire around 8:00pm-ish, approximately 4 minutes between the last time QT was with JC/JC's cell phone?

honestly I get that many like to banter back and forth on what she said...but many think it is is Eric and apparently so did many of the jurors....I don't get what will change in a new trial with this Eric issue...some of the ways that people are trying to turn it into so many other things seem a real stretch. I am just not convinced that another trial will be much different other than hopefully a jury that understands the instructions and verdict options. In fact if the jury is more savvy it would be a worse result for state as I have to wonder if they jury even got 'reasonable doubt".

I agree.

All the explanations the State can bring forth in a second trial aren't likely IMO to convince a second jury unanimously that she didn't say "Eric". I believe they will err on the side of caution and let him go rather than convict someone they feel is the wrong man. The State may convince the majority of the second jury but I don't think they will convince all of them.

The problem is people think they hear one thing or another. None of that informs us what it is JC really said or was trying to say.

I find it interesting more stock is put into what responders thought they heard her say than all the other evidence that proves, unequivocally, that QT was with JC right before and up to the time she was murdered. All of that gets pushed aside as if it doesn't exist, and I don't understand how that can be hand waved away.

And then, the state shows how they concentrated their efforts to find every single "Eric" or "Derek" within a multiple county area who could possibly/maybe have any connection to JC, even going so far as looking at "Friends of Friends" on Facebook to widen the net, but somehow it's imagined that there's still an "Eric" or "Derek" that was totally missed and it was this very Eric or Derek who just so happened to light JC on fire in the few minutes that QT wasn't with her. What are the odds!

Who is this "Eric" or "Derrick" and where did he come from that night to light JC and her car on fire around 8:00pm-ish, approximately 4 minutes between the last time QT was with JC/JC's cell phone?

And that is exactly what the State should have asked.

Sometimes jurors vote based on how they feel about the case and not necessarily what the evidence says.

The problem is people think they hear one thing or another. None of that informs us what it is JC really said or was trying to say.

I find it interesting more stock is put into what responders thought they heard her say than all the other evidence that proves, unequivocally, that QT was with JC right before and up to the time she was murdered. All of that gets pushed aside as if it doesn't exist, and I don't understand how that can be hand waved away.

And then, the state shows how they concentrated their efforts to find every single "Eric" or "Derek" within a multiple county area who could possibly/maybe have any connection to JC, even going so far as looking at "Friends of Friends" on Facebook to widen the net, but somehow it's imagined that there's still an "Eric" or "Derek" that was totally missed and it was this very Eric or Derek who just so happened to light JC on fire in the few minutes that QT wasn't with her. What are the odds!

Indeed.

This is the prosecutor's job in closing arguments (which I have not seen); to show that regardless of all other evidence, there was no one else who could have done this. That is what I take away from the case (and I am very reluctant to condemn when these is not evidence to support it).

Someone did it. The evidence points to QT and to no one else. He might as well have done it in his backyard.

And that is exactly what the State should have asked.

The state did ask this of their last witness (the awesome data analyst guy).

- QT and JC were together throughout Dec 6, spur-of-the-moment type plans especially in the evening.
- Not one "Eric" or "Derek" could be found who could be tied to this case. And they looked across 3 counties.
- Not one male called or texted QT the last couple hours of JC's life. A few girls he was juggling texted him.
- QT answered no calls or texts in the hour before JC was driven to Heron Rd.
- QT did not call or text anyone in the hour before JC was driven to Heron Rd
- Both QT and JC's phones were unavailable (turned off or battery removed) at the same time, before JC was murdered.

So again, those who are insisting there is an "Eric" or "Derek" involved, WHO is this person and how did they know where JC was when not even QT or JC themselves knew where they'd be and by all accounts, QT was improvising last minute on the whole getting the gas can/burning the car plan, and QT was in touch with no one except his Louisiana girlfriend after 7:40pm that night?

The DA did point out all of the above, btw. This information was not kept from jurors or somehow hidden by the state.

I lost count of how many times the DA repeated the facts, simple facts: 2 people are together, their phone pings prove it. 2 people are at Heron Rd. 1 person suddenly decides to walk to his sister's house to 'borrow her SUV.' This SUV is driven back to QT's house, and right up to the shed where a gas can is kept (as seen on video). 90 seconds later this SUV then leaves QT's house, drives to Heron Rd, and in a couple minutes JC's car and JC are set on fire. This same SUV is spotted leaving to go to Fred's from the Heron Rd direction.

Mere Coincidence?

The state did ask this of their last witness (the awesome data analyst guy).

- QT and JC were together throughout Dec 6, spur-of-the-moment type plans especially in the evening.
- Not one "Eric" or "Derek" could be found who could be tied to this case. And they looked across 3 counties.
- Not one male called or texted QT the last couple hours of JC's life. A few girls he was juggling texted him.
- QT answered no calls or texts in the hour before JC was driven to Heron Rd.
- QT did not call or text anyone in the hour before JC was driven to Heron Rd
- Both QT and JC's phones were unavailable (turned off or battery removed) at the same time, before JC was murdered.

So again, those who are insisting there is an "Eric" or "Derek" involved, WHO is this person and how did they know where JC was when not even QT or JC themselves knew where they'd be and by all accounts, QT was improvising last minute on the whole getting the gas can/burning the car plan, and QT was in touch with no one except his Louisiana girlfriend after 7:40pm that night?

What I meant is that the State should have asked it as succinctly as you did. Heck, this jury didn't even understand what "unanimous" meant!

I don't think "Eric" is a real popular choice for a gang name.

Wuh hey, there was Eric the Red (of that ancient gang, the Vice-kings...)

Actually I think a common characteristic of a murderer who successfully avoids detection is that of a chameleon: not standing out, going about his daily life acting as if nothing happened. Recall that M&M video immediately following news of the fire that night, with the very animated story teller in the foreground and QT behind him, but definitely within ear shot. Move along QT, nothing of interest here.

I sincerely believe JC had no idea she'd befriended someone capable of murder those last two weeks of her life. Ditto for that lady in Monroe, LA. It's the quiet ones ya gotta watch out for.

JMO,
Clouseau

The state also pointed out, simply and clearly, and more than a couple times, how QT heard about the JC car fire while at M&Ms, had no reaction whatsoever (seen on video), left M&Ms, looked back toward M&Ms over his shoulder, then walked home and deleted every txt and call from/to JC from his cell phone.

This of course was right after his 3rd clothing change of the day, his most recent immediately following the car fire.

Nope, just a mere coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member