NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sept 2012 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't had time to listen myself yet, but new Trace-Evidence podcast on the Hedgepeth case is now up:
https://www.trace-evidence.com

I've listened now (it's over an hour long) and believe the podcaster, Steven Pacheco, does a really good & fair job of covering the case -- I don't agree with all his details of course but definitely worth a close listen!
Thanks for this effort Steven!

The Trace Evidence episode does a good job of presenting all of the important information in one place and it also provides certain details, like names of persons of interest, that are otherwise difficult to come by. I also like how he lays out the four or five leading theories re what happened that night. Given that police have the male DNA and believe with 100% certainty that they will solve this crime, it's worth making a list of the male persons of interest:

1. ETJ
2. DB
3. JB
4. RLJ
5. former roommate of BE

Unless I misunderstood something, Pacheco seems to be saying that none of 2-5 has ever submitted DNA.

I've listened now (it's over an hour long) and believe the podcaster, Steven Pacheco, does a really good & fair job of covering the case -- I don't agree with all his details of course but definitely worth a close listen!

What details, specifically, do you disagree with?

The Trace Evidence episode does a good job of presenting all of the important information in one place and it also provides certain details, like names of persons of interest, that are otherwise difficult to come by. I also like how he lays out the four or five leading theories re what happened that night. Given that police have the male DNA and believe with 100% certainty that they will solve this crime, it's worth making a list of the male persons of interest:

1. ETJ
2. DB
3. JB
4. RLJ
5. former roommate of BE

Unless I misunderstood something, Pacheco seems to be saying that none of 2-5 has ever submitted DNA.

yeah, I don't think he was clear on it, but am almost certain 2-4 HAVE given DNA by now (JB was late in the process, the other two earlier on). #5 I don't know about -- a private investigator was pursuing him, and I presume CHPD did as well, but they've never said.

ETA: as far as details I'd quibble with, too small to mention and argue about here (though I did leave a comment for him about 2 matters). For a 75-min. podcast he did a darn good job on a case there is so much speculative disagreement on!

1. ETJ
2. DB
3. JB
4. RLJ
5. former roommate of BE

All but #5 have submitted to DNA tests

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree 100%!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know we cannot sleuth him, but does this former roommate of BE fit the phenotype released?

I don’t think we know anything about him, aside from the fact that he has a violent criminal record, and handwriting that might​ match the note.

yeah, I don't think he was clear on it, but am almost certain 2-4 HAVE given DNA by now (JB was late in the process, the other two earlier on). #5 I don't know about -- a private investigator was pursuing him, and I presume CHPD did as well, but they've never said.

ETA: as far as details I'd quibble with, too small to mention and argue about here (though I did leave a comment for him about 2 matters). For a 75-min. podcast he did a darn good job on a case there is so much speculative disagreement on!

He did have several basic facts wrong, just one example is saying that Faith was one of three daughters, one of whom struggled with drugs, IIRC, which isn’t true. She’s the youngest of two daughters. There were other things he got wrong, misstated. He said she was a junior; she was in fact a sophomore. He said she was sexually assaulted, which LE has said “is more likely than not” but is not an established fact. He also said semen was found in Faith. That is not an established fact; he’s making an assumption which may or may not be true. I don’t recall the other things he states which are questionable. It’s a lot of his opinion, which he acknowledges. He did have details regarding names of the Thrill guys (if he was correct). But I don’t think he has any insight that we haven’t covered here.

He got enough wrong so that I’m not trusting his credibility. But the basic potential scenarios he outlines are what we discuss here.

He did have several basic facts wrong, just one example is saying that Faith was one of three daughters, one of whom struggled with drugs, IIRC, which isn’t true. She’s the youngest of two daughters. There were other things he got wrong, misstated. He said she was a junior; she was in fact a sophomore. He said she was sexually assaulted, which LE has said “is more likely than not” but is not an established fact. He also said semen was found in Faith. That is not an established fact; he’s making an assumption which may or may not be true. I don’t recall the other things he states which are questionable. It’s a lot of his opinion, which he acknowledges. He did have details regarding names of the Thrill guys (if he was correct). But I don’t think he has any insight that we haven’t covered here.

He got enough wrong so that I’m not trusting his credibility. But the basic potential scenarios he outlines are what we discuss here.
I largely agree, but do think his report is quite credible (at least as much so as newspaper accounts where he probably picked up some of the mis-info and things still under dispute). The names of the Thrill guys wasn’t new, but has been available ever since the police released documents 3 years ago; in fact he left some names out. But again all the names we have are either White or Black men, no Latinos. I probably have less than 20 names of potential interest, but the police have DNA tested over 700, as an indication of how much we’re still missing. I think his main insight was to put in one place most (not all) of the scenarios people have proposed and most of the key information readily available (again, certainly not all), but no, nothing breaking new ground.

I listened to it last night. It was a good overview of the case, IMO, and yes, a few of the details were wrong.

I had a couple of quibbles myself. The biggest one: I don't think the time of the pocket-dial voicemail is really in dispute anymore. There's never really been an indication that it's wrong at all, but we're past just having a single phone with a time-stamp at this point. LE says they've verified the metadata of the call. If it doesn't make sense that Faith was viciously assaulted in the club by 2 or 3 people and calmly left 45 minutes later, it points to a problem with the transcript, not the time-stamp.

Second, and I've seen it mentioned but never elaborated upon, but what's driving the idea that MR made the 911 call and not KR? Even if one suspects KR, that doesn't make a lot of sense. Is she so overjoyed that her plot succeeded that she handed the phone to MR to do a victory dance in the background? Does MR not question this or think it's weird enough to ever mention again?

This case is very frustrating to me. Not because it hasn't been solved but because all of the most plausible theories seem to be ruled out by the evidence and all of the theories not ruled out by the evidence don't seem very plausible. Take ETJ: motive and opportunity, but the DNA says it wasn't him. Could he have had someone commit this crime for him? I guess so, but that just doesn't strike me as very likely. Indeed it strikes me as highly, highly unlikely. Or take KR: if not for the male DNA at the scene, she would be, IMO, the lead suspect. The note. The bottle. The 4:30am departure. The 911 call. The I-don't-feel-well-at-2:30am-but-I'm-headed-out-for-a-booty-call-at-4:30am. And yet the male DNA seems to suggest that it wasn't her. Could she have committed the crime but somehow have had a male assist in some way? I just don't see how that is plausible. At the moment I'm left with the thought that LE bungled the crime scene, that it was KR, and that the male DNA is the result of contamination and not the crime itself.

I listened to it last night. It was a good overview of the case, IMO, and yes, a few of the details were wrong.

I had a couple of quibbles myself. The biggest one: I don't think the time of the pocket-dial voicemail is really in dispute anymore. There's never really been an indication that it's wrong at all, but we're past just having a single phone with a time-stamp at this point. LE says they've verified the metadata of the call. If it doesn't make sense that Faith was viciously assaulted in the club by 2 or 3 people and calmly left 45 minutes later, it points to a problem with the transcript, not the time-stamp.

Second, and I've seen it mentioned but never elaborated upon, but what's driving the idea that MR made the 911 call and not KR? Even if one suspects KR, that doesn't make a lot of sense. Is she so overjoyed that her plot succeeded that she handed the phone to MR to do a victory dance in the background? Does MR not question this or think it's weird enough to ever mention again?

Yeah, I was thinking something similar. I get why people hear MR in the 911 call --- it does sound a little like her --- but I don't get the logic of why she would be making the call. She is a puddle of tears in her 20/20 interviews so if she knew anything at all about this crime she would have long ago, IMO, spilled the beans. She hasn't. If anyone knows more than she is saying, it is KR.

Good Evening Everyone,

I am going to start a new thread for this case. I'm working on it now and should have it up in 10 to 15 minutes.

Thanks,
Tricia

Please continue the discussion on thread #2

By request, I am allowing the blog of Thomas Gasparoli as an approved source for the Faith Hedgepeth case.

You can check out Mr. Gasparoli's credentials right here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knownstranger07