Found Deceased TX - Sherin Mathews, 3, Richardson, 7 Oct 2017 #5 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since all we can do is speculate, I am thinking that Starr likely withdrew as the attorney of record because SM has refused to cooperate in any possible way other than looking at some photos of clothing.

I don't think that he was advising her to NOT at least appear helpful, he would know that looks bad in the custody case. I would think that when LE said they would like to talk to her after the arrest yesterday and she refused he told her it would be in the best interest if she went in and reiterated things, it could be fear of losing something (when she did cooperate she lost her husband and her other child, and then her house was gone through and many possessions were taken) or fear of LE themselves or whatever, but I get the impression she doesn't want to speak or show her face at all (which is her right), and that as a lawyer he just had enough and decided that it was a waste of his time if she wasn't going to take any of his advice and it's a waste of her money. He likely has a bunch of clients who are paying for his services and hanging out with a high profile client who is refusing to so much as reiterate to police that she was sleeping, would just be a lot for an attorney to handle... Again, JUST MY OPINION. I personally still feel Sini is a victim, and I think she is feeling very victimized by everything going on. But, that really makes it difficult for a lawyer to help you if you aren't willing to take that help... Even victims make bad choices, if that is what has gone on...

Two things stand out to me in the new statement. The use of the word "eventually" two times.
"Eventually the 3 year old girl began to drink her milk" and "Eventually WM no longer felt a pulse on the child and believed she had died."
Okay, first, this whole story is bogus. That said, why on earth would he "assist" her in drinking the protein shake if she had already started drinking it? Was she drinking too slowly? Was she crying and hiccuping and spilling it so he stepped in to make sure she did it right? UGH.

Second, some of this may be a language issue. As a teacher, I have worked a lot with English language learners. The words people who have learned English as a 2nd language use do not always mean what a native English speaker would think they mean. Anyone who learns another language will fixate on certain words and use them in lots of situations (I do this in Spanish). So the word "eventually" may be a word he uses as a time transition, like "next" or "then" or "after" or "when". Again, I believe this whole story is bogus, but these thoughts came up.

I believe that the affadavit was also written by the person/detective to whom he gave the story, was it not? Some people do overuse certain words/phrases, especially when writing is not their particular thing. But I think that the affidavit probably condenses an oral recounting with questions back and forth, rather than a verbatim account.

And Maria Guerrero says the grass they took as evidence came from one of the vehicles

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have whiplash from the past 24 hours.....Can't imagine I am alone. Here is a Summary of Events of last 24 hours
WM is in jail on felony charges based on new statement he made to LE. He spoke with LE for over 2 hours.
Those charges may change, and there may be more arrests.
Sini is not cooperating or talking to LE, and LE has put out a request for her to come in.
Sini changed lawyers because Kent Starr left her case.
Sherin's body has been identified by dental records and clothing.
Sherin's sister remains in foster care while CPS begins interviewing the family recommended to take care of her and while WM gets a civil lawyer (he may as well drop that idea, because he isn't going to be needing one...)
India is involved in discussions about what will happen to Sherin's body.

Anything else?

Do we know when or why WM switched lawyers from the one he originally hired? Also, his current lawyer if I recall correctly IS actually a family lawyer as well as a criminal lawyer. So I wonder if he is looking at a civil lawyer for something to do with a law suit or protecting his assets or making sure the other child is taken care of financially? It wouldn't surprise me if we see him file for divorce. I have such an odd feeling in all of this. For whatever reason I just don't think SM had anything to do with this, but I do feel like he is trying to protect AND hurt her all at the same time... Maybe because everything seems to be so conflicting and hasn't made much sense from day 1? UGH
But yes, would love to know if you (or one of the other awesome timetable people) could find out about the switch in lawyers for WM.
Thanks for your post!!

It sounds like their is a discussion as to where baby Sherin will be laid to rest. The people of Texas have become her true adopted, extended family...albeit in death. I would like to see her buried in Richardson surrounded by bluebonnets.

She also said that the Sini is not mentioned in this statement - nothing about her sleeping, nothing about her at all.

I think what we have to remember (and what I have to keep reminding myself) is that this statement is the SUMMARY of Det. Diaz for the arrest warrant, not the actual/full statement of Wesley Mathews. So, things we are mulling over (time frames, if he still said mother was sleeping etc) are likely known to police, but simply not included in the summary.

That clears up some of what's happening. According to the reporter (NBC5):

Police publicly asked Siri to come in. Sgt. Perlich said "She has an opportunity to come in talk to us right now but whether she comes in or not, we're going to move forward with this investigation so it's either with or without her cooperation."

Responding to a request for an interview Kent Starr said he has withdrawn as the attorney of record for Sini Mathews.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1687204161324637&id=546265772085154

So it was Starr who withdrew, not Sini who dropped him. I doubt he'll say why, at least not until the case is resolved. The reporter reached out to Gibbs and hasn't heard back.

Quite a turn of events today. I really don't know what to make of this new information.

“Withdrawing as counsel of record” does not necessarily mean he declined to represent her. Nor does it necessarily mean Sini fired him. Either is possible.

Withdrawing a counsel of record is a step an attorney must go through with the courts. Essentially he files a motion that indicates he is no longer representing Sini. In my state (Not Texas), attorneys do not have to list a reason. A judge signs and it becomes a matter of court record that the attorney is no longer involved in this case.

An attorney with the firm where I work has filed a few withdrawals for a variety of reasons, including 1) a client firing her, 2) the attorney deciding she would no longer represent a client who continually went against the attorney’s advice, and 3) a divorcing couple decided to settle their differences via mediation (involving a different type of practitioner).

Back to this case, though. Did he resign? Maybe. Was he fired? Maybe. Unclear to me from the two stories I read. Perhaps we’ll learn more.

And Maria Guerrero says the grass they took as evidence came from one of the vehicles

Sent from my SM-G920V using
Tapatalk

Grass was also taken from the home. It is item #40 on the list.

Also, where did police make a public plea for Mrs Mathews to talk to investigators today? Several reporters are talking about this. Was it on TV? I saw nothing on Richardson Police Department FB page about it. I imagine if they had called her or talked to her (previous) attorney in order for him to relay the message to her, I don't imagine they would be referring to it as a PUBLIC plea.

You can find it at this link. Hard to navigate, as this is today's running segments from fox 4. It occurs near when the clock reads 5:00. Hope that helps. LE says the exact words that have been quoted about inviting her in http://www.fox4news.com/live

Excellent find. Thank you for posting. https://patch.com/texas/dallas-ftworth/father-sherin-mathews-arrested-injury-child-felony-charges From this link:
Sergeant Kevin Perlich of the Richardson Police Department said he cannot at this time disclose where Wesley Mathews took the child's body, but he said that the statement has alleviated fears that the girl had been abducted or attacked by an animal or other predator.
Perlich said the father never sought medical attention while Sherin Mathews was choking on the milk, nor after she became unresponsive. "What he has told us now is that she was drinking milk. She really didn’t want to drink that milk, so he was 'physically assisting' her with that milk — apparently to the point where she began to choke on that milk. [She] lost consciousness and eventually expired. During that period of time, Mr. Mathews never sought medical attention or to call 911. That’s why you’re lookin at the type of charge that we have right now. The charge, he said, carries the same penalty as a charge of murder.

I guess the new story is somewhat more plausible than the other one. At least posters can stop speculating that little girl actually went to the location herself. Clearly she was dead when she was removed from the house. Still doesn't make sense as to why he was supposedly giving her this milk in the garage at 3 am, why he never got his wife to help when the child supposedly started chocking,etc.

Maria Guerrero made a comment that the culvert where Sherin was found is 19". I am presuming she means 19" in diameter. That is plenty of space for a medium-sized man to fit into. Say someone has a 40" chest, their diameter is <13". It's possible.

I have a legit question....if they used DENTAL records and made a point of saying that is how ID was made, does that mean parents didnt help? Or does it simply mean dental records were used? just curious

It may vary from place to place, but the use of dental records doesn&#8217;t necessarily mean the parents didn&#8217;t help. There could be a few factors.

If Sherin was badly decomposed (I hate typing it), a family member may not be able to recognize her. Perhaps the parents were shown just the clothing. Perhaps the parents did make a positive ID, but it&#8217;s the policy of the ME&#8217;s office to require additional confirmation (via dental records in Sherin&#8217;s case, or via DNA in other cases).

I shared this in the last thread: my brother-in-law died at his home (natural causes). His brother found him a few hours later. He called his sister who arrived shortly thereafter, and called his other brother (my husband). Of course 911 was called. EMS and a sheriff&#8217;s deputy arrived.

Three siblings identified my brother-in-law, and the deputy saw my BIL&#8217;s state ID card. However, the ME requested dental records to make a positive ID. I just assumed it happened like it did on Law & Order: ME pulls back the sheet, family says, &#8220;Yep, that&#8217;s him.&#8221; The end. But no. JMO

You guys see this?
havent caught up...

Maria Guerrero&#8207;Verified account @Maria_NBC5 49m49 minutes ago
More
Police: Attorney Kent Starr is no longer representing #SherinMathews' mother Sini< she is not charged w/anything.
No reason given. @NBCDFW

I think what we have to remember (and what I have to keep reminding myself) is that this statement is the SUMMARY of Det. Diaz for the arrest warrant, not the actual/full statement of Wesley Mathews. So, things we are mulling over (time frames, if he still said mother was sleeping etc) are likely known to police, but simply not included in the summary.
I'm just repeating what Ms. Guerrero emphasized.

Grass was also taken from the home. It is item #40 on the list.
She made it sound like the grass they took as evidence was from the cars. That was my impression, that she was clearing up a mistaken impression, but I could be wrong.

So they can't disclose where he took the child's body. If he took her directly to the culvert, where she was found, wouldn't they just come out and say that?

I was wondering the same thing. Is this LE being tight lipped because it is the best thing for their investigation? Or did WM decline to say where he took her? Or do WM's actions implicate someone else, and they need to figure that out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard